Are your feelings biblical?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And Lo I looked and I saw, people writing in pain because their emotions were not biblical; fighting against themselves to no avail, since the teachings of the day had no value against sensual indulgence.

How do you feel about that?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's an odd, but interesting question. Can we control what we feel? I'm inclined to say not. What we can do is act and do the right thing regardless of how we feel. So, I would say feelings are irrelevant, what we do is what matters. If course, I might have completely misunderstood the question! ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's an odd, but interesting question. Can we control what we feel? I'm inclined to say not. What we can do is act and do the right thing regardless of how we feel. So, I would say feelings are irrelevant, what we do is what matters. If course, I might gave completely misunderstood the question! ^_^
Good response.

Yeah, it's difficult to understand let alone control emotions.

There are the surface ones, but then there are the under current emotions that direct the heart.

To erase an impulse, is quite the battle.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Feeling can be both Biblical and unbiblical, much like other things like genocide.... ;)
Yepp, all emotions are in the bible, including the "O wretched man that I am" type of emotional responses.

Odds are, if you're feeling something, someone in the bible felt the same thing.

However, in the sense that only one type of marriage is biblical, though the biblical context has widespread polygamy - are our feelings biblical?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think feelings are irrelevant or should be readily ignored. But how we address them is key as is the weight we assign.

~bella
(yes)

How we appraise our emotional responses gives them power to act or not act, so reflecting on good, noble, and pleasant things is in someways the order of the day.

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Great question Michael.

Are your feelings biblical, was this a question that came up to you by someone?

Would it be useful to get and idea of what an understanding is of the emotions?

Found something on psychology today which shows a pinwheel that shows the wide range of emotional status for us humans made by Robert Plutchik, in 1980.

Now that we can see the wide range of emotions and feelings; now to compare them with the bible ; it seems we all have emotions and feelings. There is also the spirit we can choose to live by in our life in following the Lord Christ Jesus.

What could we do to apply all of this together?

Attachments

• plutchik's wheel.png
    plutchik's wheel.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Great question Michael.

I asked this question previously, it came to mind, but I won't say whether it was a question God gave me or not since I am unsure of that.

Found something on psychology today which shows a pinwheel that shows the wide range of emotional status for us humans made by Robert Plutchik, in 1980.

Now that we can see the wide range of emotions and feelings; now to compare them with the bible ; it seems we all have emotions and feelings. There is also the spirit we can choose to live by in our life in following the Lord Christ Jesus.

The main application is expressed in John 17 that Jesus said to the Father of those who would believe in Him through the apostles: May they be one as we are, I in you, and you in me.

So with that background, the application is to dress our emotional selves much like we do our physical selves, because it affects others in the body of Christ.

also in the sense that there are fashion police that cause people stress, there should not be emotion police or thought police either, since this results in more stress. Stress caused from pressure to conform is counter productive.

Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for your response for you are absolutely right when it comes to what you stated here 'also in the sense that there are fashion police that cause people stress, there should not be emotion police or thought police either, since this results in more stress. Stress caused from pressure to conform is counter productive.'

You are right! To cause pressure, and stress on another person ; can cause depression, anger, guilt, and that is very bad! Instead it would expected living by the spirit to encourage, strengthen, uplift a brother through asking questions of what they are feeling, what emotions are they having and come from a place of understanding rather than - do this! it will help! - when really everyone need someone to listen to you sometimes rather than tell you anything. Listen to their problems, and understand, and encourage and just simply be with them - instead of dominating over them.

If could would like to share you a story that happened me when young - no God in life - and was very stupid - (Thank God for these experiences)

Was texting a friend who lived next door, and he was stressed about his wife and not sure what to do - so in my opinionated self thought well if you do this, that and this everything would be better for you.

He asked me to come over and say these things to his face - Walking next door and knocking on the door. Was greeted with a great shirt pull, and thrown on the couch and beaten. He only stopped because he thought I was dead, got up went home and cried.

This man had a lot of stress, and my idea was that it could be made better doing things my way. Was not compassionate, nor listened to him, or considered all of the things he was going through. So got my butt handed to me which was deserved. Many people would hold grudges and not forgive in these manners however we still ended up talking to each other every now and then just did not hang out as much as we did before.

Lesson: Be mindful of others and what is going on but after listening ask if you could give them any advice if they would take time to listen but other than that... be careful and just be mindful when it comes to dealing with others.

(If I could go back, wish me and that man read the gospel together and learned about God.)

Especially when they are at a weak point in their life with problems becoming overbearing.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I asked this question previously, it came to mind, but I won't say whether it was a question God gave me or not since I am unsure of that.

The main application is expressed in John 17 that Jesus said to the Father of those who would believe in Him through the apostles: May they be one as we are, I in you, and you in me.
So with that background, the application is to dress our emotional selves much like we do our physical selves, because it affects others in the body of Christ.
also in the sense that there are fashion police that cause people stress, there should not be emotion police or thought police either, since this results in more stress.
Stress caused from pressure to conform is counter productive.
So if dealing with our sin ("cut it off," "pluck it out"--Mark 9:43-49) is stressful, it is counterproductive?

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Clare73,

You ask a question about dealing with our sin - is stressful -.

It would really boil down to a persons understanding of God, and the promises that He makes to all people, in forgiveness, renewed mind, renewed heart, eternal life, suffering on the partaking of Christ Jesus, resurrection from the dead, laying down our own lifestyle and accepting the new life style by having God and the Lord Jesus Christ with us by the holy spirit/spirit of Christ, Prayer, all of these things coming into a persons life and being born-again God using and looking at the bible for support and encouragement God is able to give that person a new heart, and those planks will start coming out and that takes some time and a steady relationship by being a child of God and growing into a Son or Daughter of God.

It is not stressful but there are a lot of trials and test one must go through, to be strengthened in their character.

This is just a glimpse of what is being shared with you:

Romans 5:1 herefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.

3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Thank you for your comment and question.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is how to know if your "feelings" are biblical. It is a test from scripture. You can test your feelings by how you love and respond to others.

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak with the tongues of mankind and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give away all my possessions to charity, and if I surrender my body so that I may glory, but do not have love, it does me no good.

4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit; it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 it keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we know in part and prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, and love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I understand the question correctly then; Yes, this past week I've been feeling very "Biblical". It started with a problem that I turned over to the Lord and He did more to right the problem, than I ever could of done (or even thought of) on my own. So, this burst of recognition, that I can count on the Lord to be there for me, has made me open myself up to Him more. I have to admit other times, I'm feeling less "Biblical" and pretty much take the Lord for granted. The Lord's peace is a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here is how to know if your "feelings" are biblical. It is a test from scripture. You can test your feelings by how you love and respond to others.

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak with the tongues of mankind and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give away all my possessions to charity, and if I surrender my body so that I may glory, but do not have love, it does me no good.

4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit; it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 it keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we know in part and prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, and love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

That's a really helpful way of approaching it. One might have a range of feelings behind each of those acts of love. One might have hurt feelings, and yet refrain from acting disgracefully in response to being hurt, for instance.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟37,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Would the question improve if rather than 'biblical', you asked, 'Godly' or "of God"?
Is it Biblical to hate?
You who love the LORD, hate evil! Psalm 97:10

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

AK1982

All things ... through HIM who strengthens!
Sep 26, 2019
Netherlands
✟29,012.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Feelings are the voice of the flesh. They are fickle but not entirely invalid. God gave us feelings for a reason. Feelings indicate which direction we are headed in and are both warning signs of influence of the flesh and blessed signs of influence of the Holy Spirit.

Feelings are incapable to "lead" us to heaven. Feelings & emotions always need to be guarded, constantly submitted to the authority of the Holy Spirit.

As long as God and I want the same at any given point in life, my feelings are emotions contribute to and support my Godly life. But, if God wants/allows something in my life which I do not appreciate, then my feelings and emotions are my strong enemies that, if unattended, separate me from God. Hence they are to be constantly watched over, aligned, steered and put to death if needed for me to walk a Godly life and purpose.

• Useful
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yepp, all emotions are in the bible, including the "O wretched man that I am" type of emotional responses.

Odds are, if you're feeling something, someone in the bible felt the same thing.

However, in the sense that only one type of marriage is biblical, though the biblical context has widespread polygamy - are our feelings biblical?

Yet, Paul said Romans 7:14-24 from his past experience as a Pharisee who was trying to save himself by the Old Law alone without God's grace and he was not speaking as a Christian because the context to those who know the 613 laws of Moses or the Old Law (i.e. the Torah) (of which we are not under anymore) (Romans 7:1). For Paul says later in Romans 13:14, “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”

The context of Romans 7:14-24 is... being delivered from the Old Law and serving in newness of spirit in Romans 7:6.

“But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.” (Romans 7:6).

For you have to remember that Paul was dealing with many Jewish believers were still under the 613 laws of Moses and they needed to switch to following the commands of Jesus and His followers instead. For the Jewish person made salvation all about keeping the Law of Moses, and they did not accept Jesus as their Savior.

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17).

For even to believe in Jesus is a commandment or law (1 John 3:23).
Obviously we are all under this command or law in regards to salvation. So Paul is obviously not referring to how we are delivered from this law in Romans 7:6.
So once we understand the whole chapter is about the Old Law and how it passed away and we are to now accept Christ and the New way (Romans 8:1-2), things become a lot more clearer than the sin and still be saved interpretation on Romans 7:14-24.

So when Paul asks the question, “who shall deliver me from this body of death?” he is speaking as a Jew who knew only the Law as a way of salvation. For obviously a Christian is not going to ask this kind of question because they are already thankful that they have Jesus Christ. For in Romans 7:25, Paul switches gears and then speaks as a Christian and give thanks to the fact that he has the Lord Jesus Christ now, and he is no longer enslaved to his own past struggle in trying to keep God's laws on his own efforts (without Christ). For Paul says in Romans 13:14 that we are to put on the Lord Jesus Christ (like a cloth or cloak) and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh (i.e. meaning if we truly love our neighbor and we obey Jesus).

The Good News Translation helps to clarify what is being said in Romans 7:25.
It says:

“Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ! This, then, is my condition: on my own I can serve God's law only with my mind, while my human nature serves the law of sin.” (Romans 7:25) (GNT).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great question Michael.

Psychology has it's origins in Socrates, Aristotle, & Plato. They did not believe and serve the GOD of the Bible, but pagan gods.

Today's modern psychology put forth by Sigmund Freud in the late 1800's. Sigmund was not a godly person by any means. Frued was fixated on sex and connected every trouble of mankind to his sexual urges. Frued had severe issues, and his most dedicated believers will even agree with that.

Why is this an issue?

Well, it is written:

“Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit;
but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit,
neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.”
(Matthew 7:17-18).​

In other words, if the root is bad (evil), then the tree must be bad (evil).

Upvote 0