Are your churches using Jesus Culture songs in praise and worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
well its not a word for word it contains no scripture that i can think of off hand.

I've said songs must be Scriptural. But I do have a couple of CDs where memory verses are put to music. They're actually really good. And I still have John 3:16 choir song still in my head from 25 years ago.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've said songs must be Scriptural. But I do have a couple of CDs where memory verses are put to music. They're actually really good. And I still have John 3:16 choir song still in my head from 25 years ago.

so what is wrong with modern songs which do the same. Have you heard the song Good father. The song is pretty much you're a good good father and I am loved by you, you're a good good father it's who you are, it's who you are, and i am loved by you it is who i am. Do you take exception to that song?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
so what is wrong with modern songs which do the same. Have you heard the song Good father. The song is pretty much you're a good good father and I am loved by you, you're a good good father it's who you are, it's who you are, and i am loved by you it is who i am. Do you take exception to that song?

That is no where close to Amazing grace in dealing with what is Scriptural. Yes, my church sometimes sings this. But I don't. I don't get upset. Because it's usually bookended by good gospel songs. But I don't sing songs making no sense Scripturally. I just stand there with my hands in my pockets waiting for it to end, but not angry. The only reason people enjoy the song lyrically is the emotional music. Put it to a piano like a hymn style and it is just another song in a hymnal unsung. It doesn't say anything Scriptural. Why does The Father love anyone? It doesn't say. But the answer is because God's wrath has been paid up against us through the death burial and resurrection of Christ for those who repent and are baptized. Maybe it's supposed to be assumed in the song to know this. I'm just not one for assumptions in church, songs or sermons. If you want to call this a preference, I'm ok with it.

Edit: actually I do sing it in church because it's a catchy tune, although my mind tends to be adding during singing it "because Christ died on the cross".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That is no where close to Amazing grace in dealing with what is Scriptural. Yes, my church sometimes sings this. But I don't. I don't get upset. Because it's usually bookended by good gospel songs. But I don't sing songs making no sense Scripturally. I just stand there with my hands in my pockets waiting for it to end, but not angry. The only reason people enjoy the song lyrically is the emotional music. Put it to a piano like a hymn style and it is just another song in a hymnal unsung. It doesn't say anything Scriptural. Why does The Father love anyone? It doesn't say. But the answer is because God's wrath has been paid up against us through the death burial and resurrection of Christ for those who repent and are baptized. Maybe it's supposed to be assumed in the song to know this. I'm just not one for assumptions in church, songs or sermons. If you want to call this a preference, I'm ok with it.

Edit: actually I do sing it in church because it's a catchy tune, although my mind tends to be adding during singing it "because Christ died on the cross".

Lets look at it God is the Good Father scripture speaking and He does love us, He loved us before the cross He sent His only son to die for us. Why does He love us Because He is Love and His heart is mercy. I don't think you can find anything we did or at a point where God said I am going to start loving you He always has. He even loves those who reject Him. He loves everyone. I think it is very scriptural sound.

Look at Amazing grace. Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now i am found, was blind but now I see. Certainly not a word for word you have to know the Bible to know what the song is referring to. Just like modern songs, just with up beat music tempo.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Lets look at it God is the Good Father scripture speaking and He does love us, He loved us before the cross He sent His only son to die for us. Why does He love us Because He is Love and His heart is mercy. I don't think you can find anything we did or at a point where God said I am going to start loving you He always has. He even loves those who reject Him. He loves everyone. I think it is very scriptural sound.

Look at Amazing grace. Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now i am found, was blind but now I see. Certainly not a word for word you have to know the Bible to know what the song is referring to. Just like modern songs, just with up beat music tempo.
Amazing grace was written in the 1700's by a slave trader who was thrown into the sea to die but was saved and became a believer and later a pastor in England. He wrote a song for each Sunday service so he wrote several songs. He wrote the song during a time when the Bible was read commonly by the people and religion was considered the norm. There was no need for him to give Scripture quotes in it and the song is very Scriptural. It refers to the blind being given sight, the sinner receiving mercy and the complete salvation that is Christ Jesus the Lord.

John Newton was also a strict Calvinist and the friend of William Cowper who also wrote many of the songs we sing.

I prefer hymns that honor Christ and speak of His glory but do not judge a song by its Scriptural content except in that it must speak of Scriptural truths. Those that speak about emotional experiences are not worth singing or to listen to. Far to many songs today do have an man centered focus but so does the preaching and everything else in the so-called worship. Worship has become entertainment not bowing before the Lord God Almighty in awe and admiration.

The Lord Jesus warned us not only to be careful what we hear but how we hear:

(Mar 4:23) If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

(Mar 4:24) And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.

(Mar 4:25) For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.

(Luk 8:18) Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

We are not only to be discerning in what we hear but careful of how we hear. When we allow garbage to enter our minds garbage is what will come out. We are bombarded enough by the world it shouldn't be what we listen to when we are supposedly worshiping.

Worship isn't about emotions and feelings, though it can and often does involve the emotions, it is about falling before the Sovereign Ruler of all and praising Him for what He has done. Worship is about calling upon Him in thanksgiving and praise. It is about hearing from Him by the preaching of His Word. The preaching of Christ Jesus the Lord Almighty who is the Sovereign Master and ruler of all creation should be the focus of worship not trying to coerce and cajole sinners to do something that they are incapable of doing. The saving is up to the Lord to do and He always does so by the preaching of Christ.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I understand I have time constraints also just have lot of down time at work to go on the forums.

a) The Bible says don't forsake the gathering, so I am not saying church isn't needed. What I am saying is:
- The Bible says Faith comes from hearing the Word of God
- The Bible says train your kids up in the Lord
Therefore Salvation comes from hearing the Word of God, primarily. What I am saying is I don't expect a song to save someone, I am not saying it can't, But I believe Faith comes from hearing the Word of God.

b) I don't care to chat about the Hokey Pokey, that's nonsense, i won't waste my time on it any further. It isn't a Christian song, nor is it about God.

c) Yes I agree 100% Song has to be Theological and Scriptural

d) I was saying I myself, 31 years old, sometimes listen to kids Worship music, its very repetitive but it's still biblical. You previously said repetitive worship music was like cultist chant. I beg to differ and say it is not.

The Paul Washer thread has me wondering. The odds are he is not quite to the position I've taken, and I'm willing to admit I can go to far. However, I'm confident he is not in favor of much of the music in churches today that you might say is Scriptural. What do you think?

I'm not a Washer fanboy, but I like the guy a lot. I think he is way heavy on the piety side of things which I don't care for. Other than that I think he is very good. He hits home issue of today's western Christianity.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We did have some false brothers in our church a few years ago. What happened was this couple followed another couple into our church, the husband became like the youth pastor, and his so called friend got involved with the music ministry worship team. What happened was this guy then tried to change all the music into rock equivalents of Jesus culture. His wife was like a trained singer so they let them all into the music team.

This was tolerated for a while but then members started airing concerns over the noisy 'worship' like they were perfroming instead of actually worshipping. And the wife, she was quite pushy and wanted all the ladies to go to these conferences that werent part of the baptist churches. Because they came from a different church you see. I think it was part of someting under nAR. Called 'life church'.

Me and a friend did go to one of their conferences to check it out and sure enough, half of it was Jesus culture type music. Loud, deafening, and rock beat, like you were in some kind of light and sound concert. Basically they wanted your money, that was all there was to it. If you couldnt afford to go, they got people to pay for other people to go. And then on top of that when you were there they still asked for offerings on top of what you already gave, plus donations to even have a cup of tea, and to buy all their books.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This couple then left the church because the so called friend commited adultery with his wife. It was sad, but they all then left, and the pushy couple were taken off the membership. I was sure they were trying to enter the church and take over or draw people away as they seemed to be on the music all the time and didnt listen to what anyone else said about it.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,749,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Staff consensus is that this thread is to remain closed. Please remember not to teach or debate in a denominational forum unless you identify yourself as a member of that denomination, and share its core beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.