Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No problem with those who claim to not know, but some claim to know consciousness ceases to exist without really thinking through how to verify that something changes from existence to non-existence.
But if you put two people in front of me and one claims to know consciousness ceases when the brain does and the other claims that consciousness is supernatural and goes to a specific place and enjoys specific benefits and so on, the first person remains more reasonable to me as they have asserted the fewest unverifiable things, even though I wouldn't be absolutely convinced of either assertion.

It seems to me that sometimes people want to say that because you can't prove X to be true, their supernatural claim deserves just as much weight, and I have to disagree.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,126.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that eventually all consciousness will cease to exist?

Or do you not know for sure?

Just to clarify your question, are you asking if I think all consciousness will disappear from the universe? Or Are you asking if I think everyone who is conscious will eventually lose their consciousness?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify your question, are you asking if I think all consciousness will disappear from the universe? Or Are you asking if I think everyone who is conscious will eventually lose their consciousness?

I don't see a difference between those questions so I guess I'm asking both.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,126.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see a difference between those questions so I guess I'm asking both.

I do see a very large difference between the two. As such I will answer "I don't know" to the former and "Yes" to the later. I will add the caveat that my answer to the later could be changed depending on medical science.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do see a very large difference between the two. As such I will answer "I don't know" to the former and "Yes" to the later. I will add the caveat that my answer to the later could be changed depending on medical science.

You believe they'll lose their consciousness forever even though this can't ever be verified?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need someone to explain to you how no one being conscious shows that no one is conscious?

No because I understand that we're currently conscious right now, but that won't be the case when no one is conscious(which is your 'truth' claim) therefore no one to verify that it's true.

What we can verify right now is that it's impossible to verify that all consciousness will forever cease.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,126.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No because I understand that we're currently conscious right now, but that won't be the case when no one is conscious(which is your 'truth' claim) therefore no one to verify that it's true.

Are you under the impression we can not verify it now? That we can not say "When everyone has lost consciousness there will be no one who is conscious."?

What we can verify right now is that it's impossible to verify that all consciousness will forever cease.
I can verify it right now.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you under the impression we can not verify it now? That we can not say "When everyone has lost consciousness there will be no one who is conscious."?

You mean 'if' since we don't know that everyone who has ever existed or will ever exist will lose consciousness forever. To claim to know this is acting like God.

I can verify it right now.

You'd have to kill every living being in order to verify that all others have lost consciousness, except yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,126.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You mean 'if' since we don't know that everyone who has ever existed or will ever exist will lose consciousness forever. To claim to know this is acting like God.

No, to claim to know is to have evidence. I have evidence.

You'd have to kill every living being in order to verify that all others have lost consciousness, except yourself.

No. No I don't. I don't have to kill every person on earth the verify that people die when you kill them.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, to claim to know is to have evidence. I have evidence.

No. No I don't. I don't have to kill every person on earth the verify that people die when you kill them.

I know people die, I don't know they lose consciousness forever because I haven't existeded forever in order to say 'yup it's true'. Even if I did, I'd be contradicting myself by saying it's true(because I'd still be conscious).

There's a logical correlation here that you're not seeing and I'm giving up for now.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,126.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I know people die, I don't know they lose consciousness forever because I haven't existeded forever in order to say 'yup it's true'. Even if I did, I'd be contradicting myself by saying it's true(because I'd still be conscious).

There's a logical correlation here that you're not seeing and I'm giving up for now.

No, I do not think there is a contradiction. I think you are trying to create a logical conundrum where non exists in order to support your world view.

Until later Chriliman. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is it rational to believe something that can't be demonstrated or known?

Reason I ask is because I've come accross multiple people who think it's rational to believe all beings will cease to exist after death, when this 'truth' can't be demonstrated or known.

Isn't it rational to verify, or at least be able to verify in the future, that your beliefs are true?

Thoughts?
I don't think it is rational to have beliefs. They are an unnecessary encumbrance.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is rational to have beliefs. They are an unnecessary encumbrance.

So no one should accept what your claiming?

Ok, I guess we'll all continue believing what we believe and pretend you didn't say anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you mean to write "beliefs"? I have many beliefs but I don't think that they are irrational.

Yea, no sane person holds beliefs that they know are irrational.

On the other hand, if your belief is verifiable, then it's not irrational to believe it. It becomes knowledge when it's verified.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yea, no sane person holds beliefs that they know are irrational.

On the other hand, if your belief is verifiable, then it's not irrational to believe it. It becomes knowledge when it's verified.
And ceases to be a belief.

Upvote 0