Are Young Earth Creationists Generally Stupid?

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm... so can they, or can they not do science?

Sophisticated YECers can do science. Sophisticated YEC is not science.

So you're telling me (with a straight face I presume) sophisticated YECers are going to do their own kind of science and find it 'interesting' even though they have to suspend their own beliefs (ie. as in a movie.) and know that it's false? This 'plan' of your creates far more problems than it solves.

No, they are going to do the same kind of science as everyone else.

You know Star Wars is false. Does that stop you from enjoying it and trying to fill in the parts of the story that are not explicitly shown?

Besides being interesting, sophisticated YECers understand that evolutionary theory is useful. It unifies biology and gives us direction when we examine important questions about the world as it is today.

A sophisticated YECer does not feel that he is doing something 'evil' or 'false' when he participates in evolutionary science. He feels that we are supposed to discover evolution and a 13,000,000,000 year history of the universe because of the unity they give to our understanding of the world. A sophisticated YECer feels that the miraculous creation of the Earth 6,000 years ago is veiled because we, fallen, must find God by faith and must not find God as sceptics (which is what a scientist necessarily is). The 'movie' is God's gift to help us unify science, which helps us survive in this world of woe into which we were cast as a consequence of the original sin.

Of course a YECer can participate in all the received science of today. He can do it easily. He can do it with a clear conscience. He can do it with joy. He can have an IQ of 180 and do it.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, they are going to do the same kind of science as everyone else.
So um... how can they do science when, and I quote, ... 'sophisticated YEC cannot by definition be science'?
You know Star Wars is false. Does that stop you from enjoying it and trying to fill in the parts of the story that are not explicitly shown?
Watching a film and thinking you're part of that film's universe are two very different things. You are expecting YECers to pretend that they live in the movie's universe.
Besides being interesting, sophisticated YECers understand that evolutionary theory is useful. It unifies biology and gives us direction when we examine important questions about the world as it is today.

A sophisticated YECer does not feel that he is doing something 'evil' or 'false' when he participates in evolutionary science. He feels that we are supposed to discover evolution and a 13,000,000,000 year history of the universe because of the unity they give to our understanding of the world. A sophisticated YECer feels that the miraculous creation of the Earth 6,000 years ago is veiled because we, fallen, must find God by faith and must not find God as sceptics (which is what a scientist necessarily is). The 'movie' is God's gift to help us unify science, which helps us survive in this world of woe into which we were cast as a consequence of the original sin.

Of course a YECer can participate in all the received science of today. He can do it easily. He can do it with a clear conscience. He can do it with joy. He can have an IQ of 180 and do it.

You actually expect them to engage in this cognitive dissonance on such a massive scale? You expect them to live in la-la land? Seriously you clearly have no idea how condescending that is. Have you gone over to the Creationism subforum and tried this out? You'll get laughed out of town, and quite rightly so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No they are not. Not at all!

Agreed. :D

It is quite possible to be a young Earth creationist and fully respect the Theory of Evolution at the same time.

However, I wouldn't call what most YEC's do, "respecting" the theory of evolution.

You see, the Theory of Evolution is a scientific model

And that is where I need to step in and point out that this is not so, for your average YEC. In fact, most of them treat it like a plague of Satan more than a possible method God our Creator used to Create us with. When I first came to CF, I was a very passionate YEC. It was emotional, not scientific, for me.

My science teacher, in private southern baptist school, taught me how evil and untrue it was! So that is all I knew before I came here. :cool:

(and it is the only one that fits the data and that fits with other branches of science as well), whereas what the truth is about the Earth and how it was created is something that, logically speaking, does not have to correspond with what science discovers at all.

Science is about what it looks like, about the appearance of things. What reality actually is doesn't have to correspond with what it looks like at all. It is logically possible that God created the Earth 6,000 years ago and that it and the rest of the universe were created to look like it all began with a the Big Bang over thirteen billion years ago, and that the species evolved slowly over hundreds of millions of years.

I can even think of reasons why God might make the appearance different than the reality.

No, it is not stupid to believe that the universe was created in 6 days in 4004 BC, as calculated by James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, around 1650. It is stupid, and it is harmful to the reputation of Christianity, to attack the science that is the theory of evolution.

Remember, science is about what things looks like, not about what the fundamental underlying truth actually is. That is beyond science.

All Young Earth Creationists should come to grips with the simple fact that it really does look like the Earth is billions of years old and that the species have evolved from common ancestors over a period of hundreds of millions of years.

Nor should Young Earth Creationists attempt to force scientists or science teachers to speak of their models in a hypothetical way. Any serious scientist will speak as though the current best model is the truth, but he will also acknowledge that it is a model which, if necessary, will be thrown out to be replaced by another - that it is just a model. It is just the way we use language naturally. At the same time, expecting an evolutionary scientist to acknowledge this to someone who is clearly a Young Earther may be asking a bit much. Evolutionary scientists feel every bit as much under attack from Young Earth Creationists as Young Earth Creationists feel they are under attack from Evolutionary scientists. You might get an acknowledgement, or you might get a scientist with his hackles up.

Do I think the Earth was created in 6 days a few thousand years ago?

Could be. I don't presume to know. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I have faith that Christ is our Saviour. I also understand that the theory of evolution is very good science and that it is very interesting science.

I am all for an end to the war between science and religion.

that was a very nice summary, thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So um... how can they do science when, and I quote, ... 'sophisticated YEC cannot by definition be science'?

Just, um ... the way you can do science even though you're a bicycle rider and bicycle riding is not science. It's called compartmentalizing.

You are expecting YECers to pretend that they live in the movie's universe.

Nope. I expect YECers to believe they are discovering what God wants them to discover. I expect that, when they do science, they will think and behave exactly as if they believed it to be the fundamental truth. If asked, of course, they will say, "I believe the Earth was created 6000 years ago." Otherwise, when doing science, they will be as unconscious of this belief as you are when you work out plot details of a movie or a book.

Human beings are very good at this kind of thing. It is part of what we call 'abstraction'. What is abstract, with a little practise, the mind treats as concrete. Zero, negative numbers, complex numbers, for example - things that people once had a difficult time thinking about, things that caused huge intellectual strife - well, now we deal with them as if they were real, existing, concrete things.

You actually expect them to engage in this cognitive dissonance on such a massive scale? You expect them to live in la-la land? Seriously you clearly have no idea how condescending that is. Have you gone over to the Creationism subforum and tried this out? You'll get laughed out of town, and quite rightly so.

Naturally, those who have invested a lot into creation "science" will resist the idea that their "science" is bogus, just as negative numbers were resisted. I saw yesterday where some creationist was talking about how things were created 'aged', so some are already trying out ideas like this. Most people want a leader they trust. These people will not be able to handle this idea until someone they are willing to follow presents it to them. Fundamentally, they are being asked to give up a fake "science", not their faith, so, in the end, many should be able to learn that creation "science" is an abomination and they can choose to give up bible literalism or they can become sophisticated YECers.

I agree that it is ugly. Call it 'sophistical' if you want. But it's not something the human mind can't handle. Right now, YECers minds are engaged in ignoring every shred of evidence that real science is beyond dispute ... and yet they live and breathe and lead otherwise normal lives. It doesn't cause them to fall over dead or be unable to balance their chequebooks. In fact, some of them are scientists doing science in fields where their beliefs have no relevance.

I'd say sophisticated YEC is, by comparison, a relatively easy mental feat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I saw yesterday where some creationist was talking about how things were created 'aged', so some are already trying out ideas like this.

I haven't followed this thread at all for quite awhile. I also don't know exactly where the conversation is, but I just want to point out that this is the exact definition of the Omphalos Hypothesis.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Human beings are very good at this kind of thing. It is part of what we call 'abstraction'. What is abstract, with a little practise, the mind treats as concrete.

I can imagine sophisticated YECers working on the theory of evolution, speaking, in metaphysical terms, of two pasts. The real past or revealed past would be the past revealed by God in the Bible. The abstract past or unifying past would be the past that God wants us to learn of through science.

This would be an abomination in the minds of many, just as the idea that there are two kinds of numbers - positive numbers and negative numbers ("how could there be a quantity less than zero! It's insane!") - once gave people the heebie jeebies. Yet, today, every elementary school kid learns about negative numbers with ease.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't followed this thread at all for quite awhile. I also don't know exactly where the conversation is, but I just want to point out that this is the exact definition of the Omphalos Hypothesis.

That's very interesting Dark_Lite. I can understand supporters of the bogus creation "science" scorning these people, but insofar as it could be part of a trend away from creation "science", shouldn't the rest of us encourage this, or at the very least, leave off ridiculing it.

Creation "science" is no small problem. It is very, very damaging to Christianity.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you propose this? If you believed it, I would not try to convince you otherwise so long as you, in a way somehow motivated by Christianity, did not try to force consideration of it into schools and public policy.
Of course I don't believe my model. I'm not nuts.

We cannot disprove YEC, just as I cannot prove that photons are not changing on the way from the book to your eyes, exactly as you say.
Or rather, you can only disprove YEC under some range of assumptions. The problem you face is that almost everyone actually shares those assumptions.

YECers are not stupid (see the title of the thread).
Many YECs are stupid, as are many other people. A substantial majority of YECs, smart or stupid, are massively ignorant about science. These people are not really candidates for becoming "sophisticated YECs", since they're not sophisticated. So the market for Creation Science would not be reduced very much, even if you were successful in your campaign.

Returning to my original point, YECs are not in general stupid, but they are also not generally crazy. You're asking them to adopt a point of view that is basically nuts.

Rather than encourage YECs to adopt something close to epistemological nihilism, why not just encourage them to adopt a humble attitude of faith? "I don't really understand the science, but what scientists say disagrees with what I read in the Bible. I'll stick to the Bible, and not worry too much about why the two are inconsistent." That's an attitude I've heard quite a few people express, and it generally doesn't lead to too much conflict. It doesn't encourage good science education, but it doesn't usually lead to aggressive attacks on science either.
sfs, you say "based on considerable experience" that this approach seems not to work. What history is there of non YECers trying to show YECers that they can logically believe what they want about creation so long as they understand that science, by definition (rather than by the 'evil influence of atheists') cannot and will not ever support them. Has anyone ever tried to shove them off creation "science" while at the same time being completely tolerant of their interpretation of Genesis?
Why do you think YECs would be at all receptive to TEs, whom they think of as Satan-inspired liberal compromisers? And how could I be completely tolerant of their interpretation of Genesis, when I think that interpretation is illegitimate on literary and historical grounds (leaving aside the science issues)?

Again, in response to "seems not to work", ... so what has?
Education, discussion in as non-threatening a way as possible. Mostly, of course, nothing works. When in doubt, however, I think a good rule of thumb is to say what you think is true.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or rather, you can only disprove YEC under some range of assumptions. The problem you face is that almost everyone actually shares those assumptions.

The common assumptions violated by your model of photons changing on the way to the eyes and the assumptions violated by a model with miraculous intervention in the unobservable past (the past prior to reliable cultural memory) are very different, although you have yet to admit it. Anyone who believes in the possibility of miraculous intervention by God (you know - the programmer pulls an interrupt and changes the state vector) should have no logical problem with a sudden start 6000 years ago (God didn't feel like waiting all those computer cycles before the interesting part got underway, so he started the program at BC 4004 with the state vector set as if it had run from a simple boundary 13,000,000,000 years earlier (with changes after 4004 BC which we have noted would have to occur to get to the present, as observed, from Genesis, as written, in order to get the game going a little more quickly)).

How do you, sfs, handle the violation of common assumptions in superposition of states and the various models of reality which stem from this extremely standard science, including "Many worlds"? Have you seen all the versions of reality that very serious physicists claim exist? Read Parallel Universes by Max Tegmark, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Pennsylvania, in Scientific American, May, 2003. If all the parallel universes (four different kinds of parallelism) exist, which Tegmark, a scientist, explicitly claims exist, then it is an extremely short deduction to: Bugs Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Frodo Baggins all really exist. Even universes where things don't operate logically exist (all you need is a meta-universe from which the illogical universe is controlled. The meta-controller changes things in the sub-universe in violation of its rules when he feels like it - sounds sort of like God doing miracles, eh).

I'll say right here that neither I nor John Polkinghorne accept Tegmark's idea of reality. The point is, it stems from an interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is every bit as weird as religion with miracles (I hope that by calling quantum mechanics and Christianity weird, it is not seen that I am denigrating them - they just both massively violate common sense).

Many YECs are stupid, as are many other people.

Some are, but you may be confusing ignorance reinforced by fear, as well as the willingness to follow, with real stupidity (low IQ).

A substantial majority of YECs, smart or stupid, are massively ignorant about science. These people are not really candidates for becoming "sophisticated YECs", since they're not sophisticated. So the market for Creation Science would not be reduced very much, even if you were successful in your campaign.

They are not candidates to be leaders, but they are candidates to follow leaders they trust. Most people just follow. Society wouldn't undergo the radical changes it does if this were not true.

epistemological nihilism

Horsefeathers.

why not just encourage them to adopt a humble attitude of faith? "I don't really understand the science, but what scientists say disagrees with what I read in the Bible. I'll stick to the Bible, and not worry too much about why the two are inconsistent." That's an attitude I've heard quite a few people express, and it generally doesn't lead to too much conflict. It doesn't encourage good science education, but it doesn't usually lead to aggressive attacks on science either.

Whatever works. I don't have a plan, just an idea.

And how could I be completely tolerant of their interpretation of Genesis, when I think that interpretation is illegitimate on literary and historical grounds (leaving aside the science issues)?

You don't have to like it. When you see YECers talking about a model like this (as above noted, they already are, and I consider it to be big, big progress over creation "science" - as well as the subtler but equally bogus intelligent design "science"), at the least, tolerate it. Where they adapt a model like this, they are finished attacking science. That is the whole goal. That, and nothing else. If you ridicule a YECer expressing something like this, and a creation "science" believer decides that it is unsafe to follow as a result, there is a person who will continue to support the ongoing attack on science where he might have given it up.

Education, discussion in as non-threatening a way as possible.

True, and with the pastor I discussed this with, I encouraged him to understand that evolution (of both life and the universe) are solid science, that there is no atheist conspiracy in science (even though there are lots of atheist scientists), and that the bible is chock full of metaphor, that we can't even communicate without metaphor, and that the very meanings of most of our words are metaphorical extensions of more constricted meanings, so seeing Genesis as a metaphor is not something God could expect us not to do in the light of science. I also, though, suggested that if he had to see Genesis literally, he could still do it in a way that did not require paranoid beliefs about science, and that way was what I have outlined here.

When in doubt, however, I think a good rule of thumb is to say what you think is true.

All you have to do to tolerate, or even advance as a possibility, something like sophisticated YEC, is to realize that we have no real answer to all those sophomoric maybes. We abandon them because we realize that they are sterile. But, in this case, one of them could actually be fruitful, not as something you believe, but as something you cannot logically eliminate as a possibility.

As I said, look where the physicists are. You have to confront that, one way or another, this world we have been given violates common sense, like it or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

And yet he continually denies that this is the case! He wants to encourage them to pretend that they live in a movie, so that when YEC teaches them that the universe is 6k years old, then they look at modern cosmology which tells them is 13b years old, they should say to themselves hey it's ok, God made it look like that! Why would any YEC want to follow such a scheme when essentially any 'scientific discovery' they make is false and not a true reflection of physical reality? Perhaps it's acceptable to allow them to 'pretend' to be doing science to keep them quiet? Tom is correct in one thing, it is 'ugly', not just that it's dishonest and condescending.

To encourage someone to adopt an omphalos view is to encourage them to believe that God's creation is a veiled illusion, leading to massive theological problems which unsurprisingly Tom doesn't want to address, all for the sake of a (albeit well intended) pragmatic view of things. Pragmatism of course leads us to believing whatever 'works' rather than what is true, not a Christian principle by any means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He wants to encourage them to pretend that they live in a movie
I want to encourage them to leave their religion out of science. Sophisticated YEC is not that we live in a movie and I do not want to encourage them to think that. You merely mock me. I used man the movie-maker/creator as a metaphor for God the Creator. Dorothy L. Sayers used man the writer/creator as a metaphor for God the Creator over 80 years ago with utterly no controversy, and I expect this metaphor has been used all the way back to Augustine. If you read into my words that anybody is supposed to pretend or believe that they live in a movie, I never intended such a reading. That people are supposed to pretend that they live in a movie or a story forms no part of what I am talking about. Dorothy L. Sayers and all the rest never intended people who read their theological works to believe that they were living in a story.
Why would any YEC want to follow such a scheme when essentially any 'scientific discovery' they make is false and not a true reflection of physical reality?
The important use of the word 'false' in connection with a 'scientific discovery' concerns whether or not the theory makes predictions that are borne out when subjected to empirical testing, whether or not it is the best theory that explains the facts, and whether or not it fits with the rest of science. This is all science can expect of a theory. Sophisticated YECers would find theories true or false in exact concordance with non YECers. Beyond that, the sophisticated YECer has assumptions which are not part of science, but which he likes very much, which clash with your assumptions that are not part of science, but which you like very much. These differing assumptions are not part of science because no empirical test can be devised to distinguish them. They are interpretations. Physicists have been aware of multiple interpretations of solid science for almost one hundred years now. This whole fight between YECs and evolutionists is ... so ... nineteenth century. Neither side in this fight has managed to find its way into the twentieth century yet.

Just as you have to tolerate many harmless, weird sets of beliefs you should tolerate this harmless, weird set of beliefs. If, in a tolerant way, you can convince sophisticated YECers to drop the literal interpretation of Genesis, the more power to you. In the meantime, the sophisticated YECer is no longer harming Christianity through ignorant attacks on science. These attacks, in their various forms, are the only real problem with YEC.

I reiterate that the human mind is quite capable of the kind of abstraction I have described. When a sophisticated YECer finds a continuity between the teeth of two hominids dated to 450,000 years before the presence, he believes he has discovered a true relation in creation, as God intended. He has found truth. What is 'essentially false' to him is that the evolution from one to the other occured anywhere but in God's mind. This, to him, is your religious belief, and he tolerates it, just as you should tolerate his.

Comprenez?
Tom is correct in one thing, it is 'ugly'
I never promised you the Sistine Chapel.
not just that it's dishonest and condescending.
Who is being deceived? What is the condescension?

leading to massive theological problems which unsurprisingly Tom doesn't want to address
What theological problem? When did I ever say I did not want to address a theological problem? I answered this charge of veiled trickery by God by saying, in concordance with widely received theology, that God wants us to discover him by faith and that we are not to put God to the test, so the truth of creation cannot be discovered by science, which puts everything to the test. That's not a fumbling, awkward answer either. I think it is a darned good one. So what theological problem do I want to avoid? That God would do such a dastardly thing? It's answered. If sophisticated YEC is true, you can learn the whole truth. Nothing is hidden. Part of the learning comes with faith. The answer is revealed.

This is the exact same answer that the faithful give to atheists when they say, "Why is God hidden? Where is he?". The answer is "seek faithfully and you will find him".

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Just as you have to tolerate many harmless, weird sets of beliefs you should tolerate this harmless, weird set of beliefs. If, in a tolerant way, you can convince sophisticated YECers to drop the literal interpretation of Genesis, the more power to you. In the meantime, the sophisticated YECer is no longer harming Christianity through ignorant attacks on science. These attacks, in their various forms, are the only real problem with YEC.

No, they are not the only problem with YEC. The Fijian is right, It raises massive theological problems as well. And that harms Christianity even more than opposing science.

What theological problem? When did I ever say I did not want to address a theological problem? I answered this charge of veiled trickery by God by saying, in concordance with widely received theology, that God wants us to discover him by faith and that we are not to put God to the test, so the truth of creation cannot be discovered by science, which puts everything to the test.

Bait and switch tactic. We are not to put God to the test. And, in fact, science cannot put God to the test. But nowhere are we told we are barred from putting creation to the test. How are we to discover the wonders of creation if we don't explore them? How do we learn to use the resources of creation without understanding them? Science puts everything to the test which it can put to the test. That does not include God. We still discover God by faith.

The question is whether we are really discovering God's creation when we observe and study and test it. Traditionally, Christians have said "yes, we are." Scientists exploring creation felt they were following the footsteps of the Creator, learning about the world God had actually made.

But the answer you propose and want to present as a teaching to be tolerated within the Christian faith is that this is not the case. And you think there is no theological problem with that?

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, they are not the only problem with YEC. The Fijian is right, It raises massive theological problems as well. And that harms Christianity even more than opposing science.

gluadys, I understand that you have theological problems with sophisticated YEC. Christian sects, in general, have theological problems with what other sects believe. This goes right back to the beginning of Christianity. As long as these differences do not get into the under the principal, "if it bleeds it leads", it does little harm to the image of Christianity in the eyes of non Chritians. OTOH, when Christians attempt to force the teaching of creation "science" as science in classrooms, and in other ways attempt to force false science into the public agenda, they are making Christianity look foolish in the eyes of non Chritians. People like Richard Dawkins get a lot of help from this foolishness when they write their massively best selling tomes which influence tens of thousands of people directly, and more indirectly. You can argue til the cows come home that young Earth creationism (creation "science" aside) does more harm to Christianity, or that sophisticated YEC would do more harm, but you yourself said you didn't give two figs (I believe that's what it was) what they believed, that it was there interference in public institutions that you cared about (I don't remember your exact words).

Bait and switch tactic.

I'm not engaged in tactics. I'm more used to discussing things with science and engineering types of people. Science and engineering people are not interested in "winning". They want their ideas to correspond with reality. If an engineer designed a bridge, and another engineer said, "look, that won't work, these members here are at risk of buckling," the first engineer might disagree if he couldn't see the problem. The disagreement could get quite vehement. But neither is going to use "tactics" (rhetoric). The instant the first engineer sees the problem, he will concede. Better to concede than build a bridge that falls down.

How did I bait you? What did I swap in? If you can show me a logical difficulty, I am not going to pretend it's not there.

We are not to put God to the test. And, in fact, science cannot put God to the test.

Of course it can't, so science cannot confirm or disconfirm whether the miraculous creation according to Genesis occurred. If it could confirm it, if it happened, sceptical science would have discovered evidence of God. Science will never be able to prove or disprove God's existence, so science will never be able to investigate true miracles.

But nowhere are we told we are barred from putting creation to the test.

If creation occurred as in Genesis, we cannot put it to the test, because this would put God to the test. We can be sure, if creation happened as in Genesis, science would be unable to uncover it, precisely because it would uncover God.

How are we to discover the wonders of creation if we don't explore them?

We uncover the wonders of what is created, not the act of creation.

How do we learn to use the resources of creation without understanding them?

We use what is created, not the act of creation.

Science puts everything to the test which it can put to the test. That does not include God. We still discover God by faith.

I am in 100% agreement.

The question is whether we are really discovering God's creation when we observe and study and test it. Traditionally, Christians have said "yes, we are." Scientists exploring creation felt they were following the footsteps of the Creator, learning about the world God had actually made.

We are. What is different is an interpretation. Every scientist agrees about the truths of quantum mechanics. OTOH, there are many interpretations about reality based on the theory. Scientists do not get hung up on that, or if they do, they realize that it has nothing to do with science.

But the answer you propose and want to present as a teaching to be tolerated within the Christian faith is that this is not the case. And you think there is no theological problem with that?

About different interpretations of reality from a science theory over which there is no disagreement? No, unless it is part of your theology that a particular interpretation just has to be the right one, in which case you are going to have a theological problem with it.

Physicists widely are aware of two major interpretations of quantum mechanics among many interpretations. In one, the wave function 'collapses' and the world (universe) jumps into one particular state from among a previous continuity of possible future states. In the other, the world splits into multiple universes, each corresponding to a previous quantum mechanical possibility. Physicists all have there favourite interpretations, but for the most part, they agree that science cannot choose from among them.

Here then, is God hiding something. The differences in the two interpretations are very great. Do you have a theological problem with this, that God seems to have hidden the ultimate truth about reality from us, leaving us nothing but the option of choosing the interpretation we like best? You should, according to what you write above. If you raise your theological problem among scientists, you will, ironically, be doing the same thing that YECs do with creation "science".

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
gluadys, I understand that you have theological problems with sophisticated YEC. Christian sects, in general, have theological problems with what other sects believe. This goes right back to the beginning of Christianity.

But not generally about a major doctrine. They may differ over whether or not it is permissible to baptize children, but they don't differ over the fact that baptism is the sacrament of initiation into the Christian community. Creation is a central doctrine of the whole Abrahamic religious tradition. This is not a trivial detail to be monkeying around with.

As long as these differences do not get into the under the principal, "if it bleeds it leads", it does little harm to the image of Christianity in the eyes of non Chritians. OTOH, when Christians attempt to force the teaching of creation "science" as science in classrooms, and in other ways attempt to force false science into the public agenda, they are making Christianity look foolish in the eyes of non Chritians. People like Richard Dawkins get a lot of help from this foolishness when they write their massively best selling tomes which influence tens of thousands of people directly, and more indirectly. You can argue til the cows come home that young Earth creationism (creation "science" aside) does more harm to Christianity, or that sophisticated YEC would do more harm, but you yourself said you didn't give two figs (I believe that's what it was) what they believed, that it was there interference in public institutions that you cared about (I don't remember your exact words).

I agree, and this is also a fundamental reason why Christians need to reject YEC. But that is a public reason--a reason to avoid scorn from non-Christians. There are worse things than public scorn. There is presenting as Christian belief what is not Christian belief. That is why most Christians, for example, do not accept the teachings of the Latter-Day Saints as Christian. I have no problem with LDS choosing to believe whatever it wants, but I do have problems if it chooses to claim it is a legitimate Christian belief. Same with your proposal of "sophisticated YEC" Naive YEC is even preferable, because wrong as it is scientifically, and however much scorn it draws, it at least tries to maintain itself as Christian.

How did I bait you? What did I swap in?

You substituted creation for God. You took a truth about God and said it applied to God's creation as well.

Of course it can't, so science cannot confirm or disconfirm whether the miraculous creation according to Genesis occurred. If it could confirm it, if it happened, sceptical science would have discovered evidence of God. Science will never be able to prove or disprove God's existence, so science will never be able to investigate true miracles.

Not quite true. If a miracle leaves evidence that it occurred that evidence can be investigated. The scientific trail may eventually reach an unexplainable dead end in not being able to find a cause for the evidence, but any evidence can be investigated scientifically.

If creation occurred as in Genesis, we cannot put it to the test, because this would put God to the test. We can be sure, if creation happened as in Genesis, science would be unable to uncover it, precisely because it would uncover God.

What do you mean by "if creation occurred as in Genesis?" Do you mean "if the account of creation in Genesis is a literally descriptive report of the historical origin of the creation"? Because if it is not, we don't know what it means to say creation occurred "as in Genesis". And which creation account is the creation "as it occurred in Genesis"?

One reason we can't test creation "as it occurred in Genesis" is that there is no one interpretation of what that means.

I suppose what you really mean is "if creation occurred as in a YEC interpretation of the scriptural accounts." But if creation occurred as YECs claim it occurred, science could certainly uncover that fact. For example, there would be no difficulty in affirming that no rock was more than 6,000 years old, that the earth was covered by flood waters about 4,000 years ago, that all living creatures experienced a genetic bottleneck at that time and all pre-flood civilizations were washed away.

These things would be ascertainable by science because if creation really occurred like that, these would be scientific facts. YEC drifts toward gnostic explanations of reality, in which there is no genuine creation precisely because these are not scientific facts and the only way to reconcile what they choose to believe about how creation happened is to deny the reality of the actual creation. And when you get to denying the reality of the actual creation--you are basically denying that God creates.

That's the first fundamental and central doctrine of Christianity gone.

We uncover the wonders of what is created, not the act of creation.

But according to your sophisticated YEC, what we discover is not what was created. It is a hallucination. Scientists are exploring something that has never really existed, never been really created.

We are. What is different is an interpretation.

And the issue I am raising is which interpretation is a legitimate Christian interpretation in line with traditional Christian theology about God and creation.

A traditional Christian doctrine of creation requires that there be consistency between the world God created and the created world that we experience. Otherwise to say God created the heavens and the earth is a false statement.

What God created is not the world of our experience through which we can come to an understanding that God is the Maker and Ruler of all that is, but something hidden from us, something inaccessible to our senses and our understanding. How can such a hidden "truth" lead us to the author of all truth? How can a world of experience which is a false front for an actual creation be what scripture declares it to be----the world which God made?

Physicists widely are aware of two major interpretations of quantum mechanics among many interpretations. In one, the wave function 'collapses' and the world (universe) jumps into one particular state from among a previous continuity of possible future states. In the other, the world splits into multiple universes, each corresponding to a previous quantum mechanical possibility. Physicists all have there favourite interpretations, but for the most part, they agree that science cannot choose from among them.

Here then, is God hiding something. The differences in the two interpretations are very great. Do you have a theological problem with this, that God seems to have hidden the ultimate truth about reality from us, leaving us nothing but the option of choosing the interpretation we like best?

Just because physicists haven't figured out which interpretation is correct, and may not be able to doesn't mean anything is hidden. Either explanation would still be an explanation of a real world (s?) that has really been in existence for 13 billion years (or more?) It would not be a false front for the world of our experience.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do accept Mormons as Christians.

I have no idea where you get the idea that if God created the world as in sophisticated YEC that it denies that God creates.

I cannot follow your thinking at all. It seems to be just a rigorous assertion that what you say is right. That's why I haven't been answering you. There seems to be nothing to say. You clearly reject sophisticated YEC as beyond the pale, but there is nothing in what you say that compels me to follow your rejection. There is no intent to offend you here, but it's like we are just talking past each other.

One more thing, though. It is not the public scorn that does the harm to Christianity. It is the loss of converts. I am concerned with converting people to Christianity. Creation "science" does vast harm to that, which is my concern.

The existence of what would be to you, I guess, a bunch of heretics, would do no harm to that at all.

YECs, sophisticated or not, and Mormons, accept Christ as their Saviour. That's all that matters. They are all Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do accept Mormons as Christians.

And that is simply not the case, if they are not accepting the Lord as their Savior in order to be saved. ;) but, that's OT. (sorry)

I have no idea where you get the idea that if God created the world as in sophisticated YEC that it denies that God creates.

I cannot follow your thinking at all. It seems to be just a rigorous assertion that what you say is right. That's why I haven't been answering you. There seems to be nothing to say. You clearly reject sophisticated YEC as beyond the pale, but there is nothing in what you say that compels me to follow your rejection. There is no intent to offend you here, but it's like we are just talking past each other.

Well, YEC isn't based on any real scientific method, I believe is the main issue here, no?

One more thing, though. It is not the public scorn that does the harm to Christianity. It is the loss of converts. I am concerned with converting people to Christianity. Creation "science" does vast harm to that, which is my concern.

Hey, you and I have some thing in common here.

The existence of what would be to you, I guess, a bunch of heretics, would do no harm to that at all.

YECs, sophisticated or not, and Mormons, accept Christ as their Saviour. That's all that matters. They are all Christians.

Unfortunately, not ALL Mormons do. Most of them are trying to earn their way to a higher level of heaven, and do not accept the existance of hell. So, what are they repenting for, in that case?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The common assumptions violated by your model of photons changing on the way to the eyes and the assumptions violated by a model with miraculous intervention in the unobservable past (the past prior to reliable cultural memory) are very different, although you have yet to admit it. Anyone who believes in the possibility of miraculous intervention by God (you know - the programmer pulls an interrupt and changes the state vector) should have no logical problem with a sudden start 6000 years ago.
I haven't admitted that the assumptions violated by our models differ because I haven't yet seen that they do differ. Your model requires repeated, large-scale miraculous intervention, apparently for no reason other than to make events that actually didn't happen look like they did. My model requires repeated, large-scale miraculous intervention, apparently for no reason other than to make a text that actually doesn't describe certain events look like it did. If you like, you can place my model in the past too: God altered all copies of Genesis in 500 BC (assuming it existed then), along the memories of everyone who'd read it previously. That's still a lot fewer changes than your model requires.

You refer to "reliable cultural memory". How can there be a reliable cultural memory when God is intervening to change things on massive scales? God can change memories just as easily as anything else, after all. Once you decide that the evidence presented to our senses should be rejected as thoroughly unreliable, you no longer have any basis for knowing anything at all. That applies to the text of Genesis as much as any other piece of evidence. The kind of radical skepticism about knowledge that you recommend is both psychologically and logically inconsistent with the conviction of Genesis's accuracy that prompts it.

How do you, sfs, handle the violation of common assumptions in superposition of states and the various models of reality which stem from this extremely standard science, including "Many worlds"? Have you seen all the versions of reality that very serious physicists claim exist? Read Parallel Universes by Max Tegmark, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Pennsylvania, in Scientific American, May, 2003. If all the parallel universes (four different kinds of parallelism) exist, which Tegmark, a scientist, explicitly claims exist, then it is an extremely short deduction to: Bugs Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Frodo Baggins all really exist. Even universes where things don't operate logically exist (all you need is a meta-universe from which the illogical universe is controlled. The meta-controller changes things in the sub-universe in violation of its rules when he feels like it - sounds sort of like God doing miracles, eh).
You're asking about several different kinds of things here, and I handle them differently. Quantum superposition describes physics on a small scale, so I accept it as an accurate model for the way the physical world works. The only assumption it violates is that a classical description should always be the right model; nothing about it involves rejecting physical evidence. (It also violates our intuition, which is based on experience with classical systems, but one can develop a quantum intuition after a while. I was an experimental particle physicist for a number of years, and it does get to be intuitive eventually.)

Tegmark's other universes (which he is not claiming exist, by the way -- he's pointing to evidence for them, but that's a much weaker claim) have different levels of credibility. That the physical universe is larger than the observable universe is probably true; the implication that the physical universe is therefore much larger or infinite, and therefore contains all possible physical states, is not supported by any evidence that I'm aware of. (Tegmark kind of glides over this distinction.) Multiple worlds interpretations of QM solve a real problem with the theory, so they have some justification, but it is impossible to know whether they are accurate or just the result of taking a model too literally. The idea of different inflation bubbles with different states is a couple of layers deep into speculative territory, and doesn't really have any evidence to support it. And his final suggestion is wholly speculative.

I'll say right here that neither I nor John Polkinghorne accept Tegmark's idea of reality. The point is, it stems from an interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is every bit as weird as religion with miracles (I hope that by calling quantum mechanics and Christianity weird, it is not seen that I am denigrating them - they just both massively violate common sense).
Rejecting common sense, when we have empirical reasons for doing so, is one thing; simply rejecting empirical evidence, and in an inconsistent way, is quite a different thing. To me, your model has a very different flavor from these ideas. The stranger ideas of physics are forced upon us (or at least suggested) by the evidence we have of the way the world actually behaves. What we learn is that things are stranger than we could have supposed, and that we have to abandon some of our preconceptions. Your suggestion, on the other hand, is that things are actually exactly how we thought they when we were kids in Sunday School, and it's the physical evidence that we should abandon. I don't find a real similarity between the two approaches.

Some are, but you may be confusing ignorance reinforced by fear, as well as the willingness to follow, with real stupidity (low IQ).
I was just making a statistical statement: YECs are a broad sample of the population, and therefore include lots of stupid people, as does any broad sample.

Horsefeathers.
Then what basis do you have for picking which set of evidence is false?

You don't have to like it. When you see YECers talking about a model like this (as above noted, they already are, and I consider it to be big, big progress over creation "science" - as well as the subtler but equally bogus intelligent design "science"), at the least, tolerate it. Where they adapt a model like this, they are finished attacking science. That is the whole goal.
That may be your only goal, but it's not my only goal. I think that this kind of model would undermine the truth of Christianity in exactly the same way that it undermines the truth of science, if it were applied consistently. I think that's a rotten foundation for building faith. If we're talking about weighing scriptural and scientific evidence, at least we are still talking. If one party decides to reject evidence entirely, then there's no basis for deciding whether anything is true, and nothing left to talk about.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My model requires repeated, large-scale miraculous intervention, apparently for no reason other than to make a text that actually doesn't describe certain events look like it did. If you like, you can place my model in the past too: God altered all copies of Genesis in 500 BC (assuming it existed then), along the memories of everyone who'd read it previously. That's still a lot fewer changes than your model requires.

Actually, I do not understand how your model solves any problem. How is it supposed to operate to solve the problem that certain people who read Genesis find a conflict with science? How does changing photons or changing copies of the bible in the past or the memories of people in the past lead to a solution of this real problem?

How can there be a reliable cultural memory when God is intervening to change things on massive scales?

"Reliable cultural memory" - ad hoc definition - tradition passed down, as a whole, within a cultural group which does not differ significantly from the findings of history, archaeology, and other science based disciplines.

Once you decide that the evidence presented to our senses should be rejected as thoroughly unreliable, ...

I don't of course. Sophisticated YEC rejects, in a metaphysical sense, as unreliable nothing but scientific inferences about events in the past prior to a specific date. The data leading to these rejected inferences are interpreted in a specific but metaphysically different way.

... you no longer have any basis for knowing anything at all.

That is only true of the generalization you make of my specific assumption which allows you to claim having photons change on the way to the eyes is the same thing as my model (even though you speak of your model and my model).

You're asking about several different kinds of things here, and I handle them differently. Quantum superposition describes physics on a small scale, so I accept it as an accurate model for the way the physical world works.

It doesn't just describe physics on a small scale. By various amplifications, it describes events on every scale. A flash on a screen caused by a particle that has been fired at it is caused by a particle in a superposition of states which, depending on the setup, could have been anywhere in a large region prior to its interception. This is fairly unweird, involving only amplification to flashes in an experiment about wee things whose positions are measured on a macroscopic scale.

Nothing to do with real life, right?

But there is no evidence for any objective collapse theory in quantum mechanics, which means that "measurement" by our best theory, seems to be essential. "Measurement" is just another word for "observation" and is convenient for the avoidance of the uncomfortable mystical implications of a role for "observation" in determining events. "Observation", nonetheless, one way or another, seems to be a requirement. Observations involve minds, so its hard to get away from a role for mind in determining external events. Events, it seems, are not determined until a mind is involved.

Consider mutations in the DNA of the germ cells of placental animals. Will a fetus have a survivable mutation or not? Through amplification of the mutation by growth and of its effect in each cell by the production of multiple proteins, we have a natural version of Schrodinger's cat. Now we are talking about big differences in animals. Decoherence does not get rid of this. Entanglement of the states of the original piece of DNA with the environment just means that larger systems are superposed. Whether or not mutations to an animal's germ cells are serious is indeterminate at the time the radiation is applied. Some kind of observation is required to determine the seriousness of the mutation (do doctors testing fetuses for genetic abnormality 'collapse' wave functions and thereby convert the indeterminate into the determinate?).

The weather, a non linear dynamical system, amplifies quantum uncertainties into the weather we observe. It means that the weather is essentially unpredictable beyond a certain period of time. The more accurately we measure components of the state of the atmosphere at a given time, the more uncertain we make complementary components. The uncertainty in these components leads to uncertainty, through non linear amplification, to the weather x days later. The weather is indeterminate, as is, I suspect, the climate.

Whether or not Harold was killed by an arrow through his eye at Runymede in 1066 was dependant upon whether or not a puff of wind affected the arrow's course to cause it to hit or miss. The superposition of states and the whole future history of England was resolved by the observation of Harold's death. The world's history was determined by the mystical process of "wave function collapse".

Same goes for where the planets are in their orbits today and the particular locations of the galaxies.

It also violates our intuition, which is based on experience with classical systems, but one can develop a quantum intuition after a while.

Yes our intuited common assumptions. One supposes one could develop an intuition for whether or not a scientific model is interpreted one way or the other in sophisticated YEC as well (it's not the 'anything goes' that you claim it is, just as is the the case for quantum intuition).

I was an experimental particle physicist for a number of years, and it does get to be intuitive eventually.

Well, I didn't get to be a particle physicist, but I did find mistakes, which they admitted, in the work of a number of physicists. There was S. K. Sen at the University of Manitoba, one of my professors. I found mistakes in his course notes (how come none of the students who went on to be physicists didn't?) There was the disagreement with Tom LeCompte, a team leader of some sort at Fermilab (at the time - I don't know what he is doing now). We disputed over whether or not a spherically symmetrical electromagnetic wave is possible on the Compuserve Scimath forum. He was too proud to concede to a non physicist until another physicist intervened in my support (so is it possible? why?). Then there was Herbert Bernstein and Anthony Phillip's paper on fibre bundles and quantum theory in Scientific American. Bernstein later denounced his own paper but I see that it is still being used as reading material in some courses, no doubt confusing the poor students who hope to be enlightened by it.

which he is not claiming exist

OK, I hadn't read this paper for a long time. Just glancing at it the other day I read the subtitle "Not just a staple of science fiction, other universes are a direct implication of cosmological observations" and just grabbed that as the basis of my statement, but I see he does not go so far in the text. Whether or not he approved of the blurb is another matter (and yes, I can see that the blurb does not say that all the parallel universe types are a direct implication of cosmological observations, so I am forced to admit carelessness here).

But it's not relevant to my point, which is that it is not beyond the pale of science to consider models of reality that are far beyond our experience. I claim that the existence of the parallel worlds of this paper directly implies the existence of the universe of sophisticated YEC.

the implication that the physical universe is therefore much larger or infinite, and therefore contains all possible physical states, is not supported by any evidence that I'm aware of. (Tegmark kind of glides over this distinction.)

NASA's WMAP mission determined the geometry of the universe to be flat with a 2% margin of error on the measured parameter (I am not yet allowed to put links into my posts here). A flat universe implies an infinite universe. So there's evidence that the universe is infinite or very large. I do not know what radius would be implied by a 2% error on the closed universe side in the measurement of the parameter.

I don't buy his probability calculation on how far it would be to another copy of me. It's based on the equal probability of initial states at the time of the big bang. I suppose at the big bang, there could have been a very hot copy of me somewhere, but considering the temperature, it would be exceedingly unlikely that the copy would exist a femtosecond later, and for each additional femtosecond, the probability would decrease by the same astronomically small factor. OTOH, considering the probability that other copies of me exist today within the distance he calculates, that calculation depends on the assumption that all possible evolutions of an initial state are equally likely. I strongly doubt that as quantum probability densities are not like that.

Multiple worlds interpretations of QM solve a real problem with the theory,

What problem do they solve besides indeterminism from a God's eye point of view (which isn't the point of view of science, tied as it must be to human POV experiments)? Many-worlds doesn't solve the problem of indeterminism so far as doing experments goes. Many-worlds adds not one whit of predictability to measurement, so, while it's an idea some physicists like, it can't be said to be actual physics.

I don't like the "many worlds" interpretation. The only way we can have free will is through some effect of quantum superposition in the brain. (This is not as far fetched as it sounds as quantum superposition is now believed to play a role in the conduction of electrons in chloroplasts, which are structures on the same order of size as synapses.) If we merely split into multiple copies for every possible outcome of a superposition in the brain, with no input from the mystical will, then we have no choice about what we do, we are not responsible for what we do, justice is nonsense, and religion is meaningless bunk. Fortunately, it's metaphysics. I call it the atheist's preferred nihilist qm interpretation of the universe.

taking a model too literally

Hmmm, well that's exactly what I'm not doing when I say that it could be that the scientific model of our past is not what happened. I don't know and I know that I can't know.

And his final suggestion is wholly speculative.

I call it the Pythagorean model. The universe is all number, just a mathematical system. If our universe has nothing mystical about it which would make it real in distinction to all other mathematical systems, then there is no reason to say they do not exist. This is, once again, metaphysics. But it is the kind of thing that scientists like to think about and they do not feel that when they do think about it that they are doing violence to the spirit of scientific truth. Ironically, if mathematics, without supernature, is all there is, then one of these universes exists at the pleasure of a meta universe (running on a computer in the meta universe, for example). In one of these universes a "God" in the meta universe does miracles in the sub universe. His actions are "supernatural" in the sub universe. So, it looks like if there is nothing supernatural there is something "supernatural" which looks very much like the supernatural. So it looks like we can't get away from the supernatural. Of course, this model doesn't imply our universe exists at the pleasure of a meta universe, etc ...

I think that this kind of model would undermine the truth of Christianity in exactly the same way that it undermines the truth of science,

What you assume about truth, of course, you have to conclude.

If one party decides to reject evidence entirely, ...

But they don't, they interpret it in one of two ways, depending on specific criteria. This dual interpretation actually falls within Tegmark's 4th form of parallelism, with the creation done from the metaverse according to the sophisticated YEC model so, hmmm, it's not beyond the pale after all.

The least you could do is tolerate it.

Upvote 0

Tom Cohoe

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that is simply not the case, if they are not accepting the Lord as their Savior in order to be saved. ;) but, that's OT. (sorry)

They do accept the Lord as their Saviour. The Bible is sacred scripture in The Church of Later Day Saints. They are especially fond of The King James Version. The Book of Mormon, A Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenents are extra.

Well, YEC isn't based on any real scientific method,

Neither is the existence of God.

Upvote 0