Why Do Some Preachers Yell and Scream at Congregations?

wilsonben

Apr 23, 2012
East Texas
✟15,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love preachers that get excited by the Word of God so I love the screaming preachers. I know some seem to be putting on a show and I don't like that but if it is because the spirit is moving on them then I love it. I have listen to some preachers that never raised their voice that would almost put you to sleep. I would rather have a preacher that got loud at times.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't mind it at times it is nice to see when someone is passionate about what they are speaking about and that they care enough about there flock to get their attention. My pastor raises his voice at times and it means he means business he isn't messing around and what he is saying isn't meant to be taken lightly. Not everything in the Bible is mushy mushy some of it is hard truth that we need to hear.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

The pastor of my church decided to retire and let his son who is also a preacher become the new pastor. We had the new pastor installment service today after the regular Sunday services and a Guest pastor delivered the sermon and started yelling and hollering.

I guess I am an observant christian. I am I feel that I come to hear the Word and that other stuff is just putting on a performance.

When a preacher starts yelling I feel kinda like I am being yelled at and I tune it out

I feel that an effective preacher does not have to yell in the microphone to get his point across.

Am I being too Judgmental?

It entirely depends what's being said bro.

Upvote 0

wilsonben

Apr 23, 2012
East Texas
✟15,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My pastor raises his voice but doesn't scream through the whole message. Back when i was growing up most preachers did raise their voice. I love it when the message excites them enough to raise their voice. If they are boring when they speak then more than likely the congregation will be bored to.

Upvote 0

LoneRanger1

May 14, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The pastor of my church decided to retire and let his son who is also a preacher become the new pastor. We had the new pastor installment service today after the regular Sunday services and a Guest pastor delivered the sermon and started yelling and hollering.

I guess I am an observant christian. I am I feel that I come to hear the Word and that other stuff is just putting on a performance.

When a preacher starts yelling I feel kinda like I am being yelled at and I tune it out

I feel that an effective preacher does not have to yell in the microphone to get his point across.

Some pastors seem to yell simply as part of a performance. Others raise their voices because they are upset about the people's sin or blasphemy against God. I do not care for yelling in sermons. I feel that the point can be made without hollering. No yelling would be my preference. If the preacher is sincere when he raises his voice and accurate in his message, I can tolerate the difference in sermon style, though.

Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would prefer a Pastor that's Loud, Passionate and trying to call out Sins, then someone who sounds good and is good with words but teaching false doctrine or teaches unbiblical nonsense.

No offense, but I prefer preachers of Old, and I am only 28. I grew up Catholic, and converted to Baptist. But I feel that if a preacher is led by the Holy Spirit, then one sunday he can be passionate and Loud, and the next soft spoken and in tears. That is the makings of a great Pastor. I have preached like that, and my Pastor does.

One Sunday service my Pastor was Passionate, and loud, and at times hollering(some would say), he was drenched in sweat, and almost in tears..

The following Sunday he preached on the the final days in Christ Life, he was soft spoken, in tears, weeping, and only got loud (not screaming, but a loud tone) towards the end, when he started calling out the things Christ has done. That type of Preaching (Holy Spirit Led) is what keeps me in my church:)!

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If they are boring when they speak then more than likely the congregation will be bored to.

Although I love Charles Stanley, what you said above is why I cannot listen to his sermons...Charles is just boring to me..

Upvote 0

KatyDanes

Jan 12, 2007
✟15,147.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Good topic :D My favourite priests are also those who are speaking very loudly and passionately where you know its REAL. Screaming, no I don't think thats attractive, nor is it ever called for. I guess also most European people, if they encounter people who scream, think of Adolf Hitler. Yelling, sure at times if its called for and it often is in our day and age. I hear the Baptists are great preachers, and I must say I love Paul Washer. No doubt we differ in our views on some things (I don't believe in radical depravity), but THAT is real preaching, what he did at that youth conference in 2002. I have heard that sermon severel times. There is also a fantastic Catholic lay preacher in Germany, a young man. He also dares to talk about the serious stuff. I think thats what we thirst after in my generation. People who dont just talk about Love, but also repentance:) Good day and shalom to you all.

Upvote 0

fredbird67

Nov 9, 2011
Maryland Heights, MO USA
✟15,114.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was raised Freewill Baptist, and where I grew up in the sticks of south-central Missouri, the Freewill Baptists had their share of shoutin' preachers, too. Several I remember distinctly were the pastors and a few evangelists who preached revivals at the little country church my grandparents on my mom's side of the family went to.

While the pastor at the non-denominational church where we go to now in the greater St. Louis area is the polar opposite of that (I don't think I've ever known him to yell while preaching), I personally don't mind preachers who yell, as long as they have something scriptural and worthwhile to say.

However, guys like, say, Steven Anderson, of Faithful Word (cough, cough) Baptist Church...well, you can find plenty of examples of his (cough, cough) "preaching" on YouTube. I mean, seriously...giving a sermon on how men are supposedly supposed to take a whiz? Or praying for the death of obama? (hey, I can't stand the guy, either -- but I do pray that he repents of his sin and trusts Christ before it's everlasting too late) Or praying for the death of all homosexuals? (to be sure, the Bible does specifically say that homosexuality is a sin -- but even that's nowhere close to being the unpardonable sin -- and as such, I do pray that those trapped in that lifestyle will repent and be set free from it through the power of the cross) He's a complete JOKE in my book. Oh, and the border patrol incident? According to 1 Timothy chapter 3, Steven Anderson done completely DISQUALIFIED himself from the ministry with some of what he said and did there, and it's because of all that that, IMHO, he's not worth listening to.

Basically, for me, it all depends on if their lives reflect what a pastor is supposed to be like according to the Bible, and if what they have to say from the pulpit is in agreement with the Bible. If they pass those two tests, then yeah, let 'er rip!

I was raised in an Indepenant Baptist church from the age of 6 to 12 and was saved under the last one.

Both these men showed signs of being filled with the Holy Spirit while preaching in that they did what you are complaining about.

Look, some men when filled do just that. If that is not your thing, find another church.

I just happened to raised in church during the second great awakening by the "hell-fire and brimstone" preachers of the 60's.

I welcome those preachers back and wish more men were filled like the ones I sat under 40 years ago.

If its not your bag, move one. Some like a more orderly service, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But I like the "olde tyme, jumping, hollerin, pointing the finger telling you you need to repent" preachers who read the scriptures they were going to preach on, put their bibles down, pulled up their pants and let it go.

Not enough of them now as I see it.

Too many preachers in the pulpits placating people as it is.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Djseb

Mar 12, 2016
Ireland
✟7,719.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I always think of the way God spoke to Elijah, Job and even Jonah. He didn't need to shout. Just saying...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I always think of the way God spoke to Elijah, Job and even Jonah. He didn't need to shout. Just saying...
What was He like when He talked to Israel? They told Samuel that they didn't want to hear from Him again, they were afraid. So God agreed to let them have a King over them.

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the yelling is constant and obnoxious then it definitely pushes me away. All I need is the Truth, not a rowdy display of emotion. I see a preacher who yells, kicks, and cries as one entangled in his flesh.

1 Timothy 3:2
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Please note that I'm not talking about simply getting excited or raising one's voice, but rather of unnecessary emotional outbursts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jarrett,

When I wonder what meetings were like in the first congregations of believers, which is what I seek, I'm not particularly convicted that there was a lot of yelling and screaming from the teachers or dancing and such shenanigans among those who were gathered. I believe that Paul encourages our meeting together to be orderly and fairly staid in outward appearance. We are there to praise the Lord and learn from His truth. I believe that the truth of God can be taught without a lot of showmanship from either the pulpit or the congregation.

Yes, passion is something that teachers should show in their teaching, but I think passion can be shown well within the bounds of normal conversational volume. However, teachers, like everyone else have their own personal style which they have often polished and worked on to find what they believe to be the most effective and roiling a crowd into a frenzy of emotion is often seen as 'effective', but I often wonder what happens to those who are converted in such a manner after the emotion wears off.

These are just my thoughts and obviously everyone has their own ideal about sitting under a teacher. I also appreciate 'fire and brimstone' preaching, but I've never thought of that as having to be accompanied with a lot of yelling or screaming. It's just teaching what awaits those who never find the truth and those who have found it, but stray from the straight and narrow path of truth. Their lot will be an eternal destiny of fire and brimstone. Where the worm never dies and there is no peace.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the yelling is constant and obnoxious then it definitely pushes me away. All I need is the Truth, not a rowdy display of emotion. I see a preacher who yells, kicks, and cries as one entangled in his flesh.

1 Timothy 3:2
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Please note that I'm not talking about simply getting excited or raising one's voice, but rather of unnecessary emotional outbursts.

That is funny, you take the qualifications for bishops, and apply it to the pulpit. Would you also read verses 3 and 4?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is funny, you take the qualifications for bishops, and apply it to the pulpit. Would you also read verses 3 and 4?

God Bless

Till all are one.
My point in sharing that verse was to demonstrate that Christians should exercise self-control.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point in sharing that verse was to demonstrate that Christians should exercise self-control.

That is true, I will not disagree, in the home. However, I will disagree in that if a Pastor is led by the Holy Spirit to do these things, should he obey those who don't like jumping, screaming, hollering, shouts from the Amen corner, or should he obey the Holy Spirit?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is true, I will not disagree, in the home. However, I will disagree in that if a Pastor is led by the Holy Spirit to do these things, should he obey those who don't like jumping, screaming, hollering, shouts from the Amen corner, or should he obey the Holy Spirit?

God Bless

Till all are one.
I see no point in jumping, screaming, or hollering. Why would the Spirit lead someone to do that? I mean, if you're into unbiblical practices like being slain in the spirit, speaking gibberish, and falling on the floor while convulsing, then yeah, I guess there is no problem with it.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see no point in jumping, screaming, or hollering. Why would the Spirit lead someone to do that? I mean, if you're into unbiblical practices like being slain in the spirit, speaking gibberish, and falling on the floor while convulsing, then yeah, I guess there is no problem with it.

I see no point in continuing this discussion.

I have never been to a Bapticostal* church.

It really is funny that you want to lump some of us in with Pentecostals.

God Bless

Till all are one.

*See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bapticostal_movement

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hadnt noticed bapist preachers yelling and screaming....seems something more like what happens in pentecostal churches.

In my church there is a microphone and everyone can hear even if you got a soft voice.

If there is no microphone then maybe the preacher has to holler a bit, but as long as Hes preaching the Word Im not put off.

Upvote 0