Why Do Some Preachers Yell and Scream at Congregations?

JarrettH

Nov 28, 2011
Macon, Georgia
✟15,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The pastor of my church decided to retire and let his son who is also a preacher become the new pastor. We had the new pastor installment service today after the regular Sunday services and a Guest pastor delivered the sermon and started yelling and hollering.

I guess I am an observant christian. I am I feel that I come to hear the Word and that other stuff is just putting on a performance.

When a preacher starts yelling I feel kinda like I am being yelled at and I tune it out

I feel that an effective preacher does not have to yell in the microphone to get his point across.

Am I being too Judgmental?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you're being judgmental. That is your opinion. Lord knows some preachers do yell and scream to do so directly at their congregation. I personally view louder rhetoric as enticing, meaning that when the preacher raises his voice it seems to show emotion. I enjoy that. I think if you can teach yourself (and pray of course) to not take things like that in such a negative way you may start to view the yelling and screaming the same way. Just pray for discernment and the Lord will give you the ability to discern if your preacher is just having a bad day and really is yelling at people, or if his message is really passionate and he wants to get his point across. God bless!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi jarrett,

Well, just be thankful he was only a visiting teacher, but you might want to gently make you opinion known among those who are responsible for picking the visiting teachers, as he may be invited again when your regular teacher is on vacation or otherwise not available on Sunday mornings.

A lot of times these fill-ins are retired or otherwise out of pulpit teachers and this one's preaching attitude may be the very reason he might not have a regular fellowship to teach. As a visiting teacher, hopefully in the future if he is chosen to fill-in you can skip that service. I always find that that's an excellent time to visit another fellowship just to know what others are doing. Take that Sunday to go out and visit another fellowship that maybe you've heard good things about the teacher. We get new pastors around here and I'm always curious to know how they teach and so services where there might be a replacement teacher, especially one you don't particularly care for, is a great time to check these others out and not be sorely missed or fearful that you might miss a good teaching.

BTW, if enough people do this if this guy's ever invited back, the powers that make such decisions as to who fills temporary vacancies might also reconsider their choice. However, for now, just praise God and give Him glory that you don't have to deal with it every Sunday, and above all, be gracious and forgiving.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know how you feel Jarret. I don't like to be yelled at either. Only I have the problem of having trouble paying attention in church, because my mind tends to wander. I have a learning disability which means I have trouble paying attention to lectures. It helps if I take notes, because that focuses my concentration. I have not been to church in a long time, and I don't know when I will be able to go back. I like preachers that speak with wisdom and follow the bible and have some humor, I don't like preachers that yell or scold, I listen to Dr. Charles Stanley if I can get up on time to watch his show on TV. I read the Bible and like a devotional book to help explain it. I also like Joyce Meyers.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in an Indepenant Baptist church from the age of 6 to 12 and was saved under the last one.

Both these men showed signs of being filled with the Holy Spirit while preaching in that they did what you are complaining about.

Look, some men when filled do just that. If that is not your thing, find another church.

I just happened to raised in church during the second great awakening by the "hell-fire and brimstone" preachers of the 60's.

I welcome those preachers back and wish more men were filled like the ones I sat under 40 years ago.

If its not your bag, move one. Some like a more orderly service, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But I like the "olde tyme, jumping, hollerin, pointing the finger telling you you need to repent" preachers who read the scriptures they were going to preach on, put their bibles down, pulled up their pants and let it go.

Not enough of them now as I see it.

Too many preachers in the pulpits placating people as it is.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with DeaconDean here.:cool: I was raised the same.

If the folks of today can ok all of that at a ball-game, or a concert, or a political rally, or whatever, then what is the problem with a preacher?

If anything should make us want to jump, holler, and shout, it should be all we need and have in Jesus Christ, and how that the world so desperately needs to hear.

I got talked into a 'concert' once, by some of the younger folks, and I obliged. The emcee said at one point for everyone to clap and yell for Jesus Christ, which was great. The wrong part was, at the end of the concert, when the main singer had performed and left the stage, he was yelled for and applauded until he came back and sang again. The yelling was much, much, louder for him, than the one for Jesus Christ.

Yep, I agree with DeaconDean, we need more preachers like that today. Hellfire and brimstone, cause they are both coming, and the screaming, yelling, and hollering, of those there will be much worse than the preachers is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jef1225
Upvote 0

JarrettH

Nov 28, 2011
Macon, Georgia
✟15,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was raised in an Indepenant Baptist church from the age of 6 to 12 and was saved under the last one.

Both these men showed signs of being filled with the Holy Spirit while preaching in that they did what you are complaining about.

Look, some men when filled do just that. If that is not your thing, find another church.

I just happened to raised in church during the second great awakening by the "hell-fire and brimstone" preachers of the 60's.

I welcome those preachers back and wish more men were filled like the ones I sat under 40 years ago.

If its not your bag, move one. Some like a more orderly service, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But I like the "olde tyme, jumping, hollerin, pointing the finger telling you you need to repent" preachers who read the scriptures they were going to preach on, put their bibles down, pulled up their pants and let it go.

God Bless

Till all are one.

did you hear what I said It was a guest pastor. It was not anyone from my church

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
did you hear what I said It was a guest pastor. It was not anyone from my church

Yea, I read that.

But I also read:

When a preacher starts yelling I feel kinda like I am being yelled at and I tune it out

I feel that an effective preacher does not have to yell in the microphone to get his point across.

But a preacher who is led by the Holy Spirit must follow the guiding hand of the Spirit, and if He tells him to jump, shout, run the asiles, point his finger at you, you can rest assured the Holy Spirit has a reason for doing so.

From your statement, I only guess that you might have objections to somebody shouting "Amen!" or "Praise God" during a service also and tell them to sit down and shut up.

Only a guess mind you.

I just wish I had the annointing those preachers had.

And seeing that I am in a minority here, I know when to back off, and let the rest put down those men.

Unsubscribing.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

God Bless

Till all are one.

:amen:

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes they yell because they actually care and are passionate about what they are preaching. Some are not and do it for a show. God will deal with those.

Some preachers yell and some do not. Both have their place. I to long for the preachers of old.

Upvote 0
K

Kormagh

Being loud and passionate I understand, Paul Washer comes to mind. But the loud "hell-fire and brimstone" preaching as a style of preaching I just don't care for. Yes, the Gospel and the warning of Hell should always be preached, but if a person yells out the sermon all the way through as a style, it just seems like he doesn't know how to talk. (personal opinion)

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Being loud and passionate I understand, Paul Washer comes to mind. But the loud "hell-fire and brimstone" preaching as a style of preaching I just don't care for. Yes, the Gospel and the warning of Hell should always be preached, but if a person yells out the sermon all the way through as a style, it just seems like he doesn't know how to talk. (personal opinion)

I agree to that and Paul Washer and Leonard Ravenhill come to mind. Thank God for men like them and others.

Upvote 0