GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟451,010.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your beauty should not consist in externals such as fancy hairstyles, gold jewelry or what you wear; rather, let it be the inner character of your heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit. In God’s sight this is of great value. 1 Peter 3:3-4 CJB

Let us examine our true inner self and aim for this ageless beauty!

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your beauty should not consist in externals such as fancy hairstyles, gold jewelry or what you wear; rather, let it be the inner character of your heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit. In God’s sight this is of great value. 1 Peter 3:3-4 CJB

Great post about where the emphasis should lie: in the inward and spiritual. Paul in Ephesians also speaks of the 'inner man':

"For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3.14-19)

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟451,010.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great post about where the emphasis should lie: in the inward and spiritual. Paul in Ephesians also speaks of the 'inner man':

"For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3.14-19)

Yes. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Says the hot-looking chick from India :oops:. lol

Great op. That specific verse is one that's often alternatively abused and neglected. Certain Christian sects have developed entire theologies, doctrines, rituals and practices around this verse (and those they think related). Proof-texting and legalistic treatments invariably lead astray.

We should always endeavor to understand how that verse was intended and would have been understood originally. Much of that remains applicable within the body of Christ, but some or much does not (everything having to do with the pagan religious dress and symbolism, for example, smply is not common within the body of Christ).

Alternatively, with your culture, gospels, I imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that attire and adornment may have a particular intersection with Peter's admonition not relevant much here in the US, but also an opportunity for affirmation and diversity. There are certainly various (sub-)cultures here in the US where hairstyle, jewelry, and attire intersect with the gospel.

We live in a very visualized, superficial, and sexualized society here in the US. I cannot speak to the Indian or other societies, but in the US the vestiges of appearance are constantly asserted as measures of value.

Lastly, and I mean nothing provocative or unseemly with this next part, it is common for those who are deemed inherently beautiful to doubt their worth and have difficulty in intimate relationships. This is particularly true of women who are not sure whether they are valued for their personhood or character or simply because they are physically attractive. This is marginally more true among those premaritally sexually active (horse or cart first?). Anyone privy to the inner workings of sexual addictions understands that men know two types of women are (generally) easy prey: those exceedingly overweight and those exceedingly beautiful (the predatory aspects different when the sexes are reversed).

The solution for all of the above is to know one's identity in Christ. In this regard I think Dietrich Bonhoeffer's book, "Life Together" is a remarkable book because in it he works with a simple reality: the image of God is asserted by God Himself differently in every single person He has created and we can never know that image 1) until we get to know that person (including our own self), and 2) let go of the idolatrous impulse to imagine that person made in our image or the image of God we bear!

Those in Christ should begin with the simple overlapping truths 1) we are royal priestly sons and daughters of The Most High God, all equal among each other subordinate under Christ in the privilege of that inheritance and 2) we are to walk humbly before God and man (and women ;)).

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0