Are you squeamish about the word "catholic"?

Are you squeamish about the word "catholic"?

• Total voters

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I voted yes. Here's why:
I grow weary of having to explain it to family/colleagues who object to everything Catholic (Roman Catholic).
Well, there's actually no such thing as "Roman Catholic", even if the Church herself has accepted the name. If you want to differentiate, there's Eastern Rite and Latin Rite, and 22 other rites.
But just because you grow weary (as I grow weary saying "No, we don't worship Mary") doesn't mean you're squeamish.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for clarifying, I did not realize Catholicism does not ascribe to any of these. Are there any online resources that you would recommend, which help to delineate between Catholic vs Roman Catholic?

NobleMouse,

I must say you capture my heart with my favorite 'character' of all time. I hope you live up to your charge!

Allow me to point something out. You are looking for what is "orthodox and catholic". That is to say, what has been believed by everyone, everywhere to be the correct Christian deposit of faith, since the beginning of Christianity. Correct not only in belief, but in worship and service.

If you want to find a truly catholic Church, find one that prays services from the Psalms seven times a day and stands while doing so. :liturgy:

Hint: Ethiopians and Coptic even take off their shoes!

Don't forget to bring your evil meter! If you detect any, you're in the wrong house.:clap:

Home :: Orthodox Christian Information Center
OrthodoxWiki

Forgive me...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree, but when it comes to conversations with some, I will intentionally say "universal" instead of catholic. I would rather avoid the inevitable path the discussion takes if i were to say "catholic".
Better to try to educate the ignorant. One of the Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy.

• Agree
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's interesting that the word catholic implies "completeness and togetherness, believing the exact same DOGMA" is thought of as a denomination a "division away" from catholicism.

In other words, when we say we believe in "one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church", it implies there are no division lines.

You may have hit the very root of the misunderstanding.

Forgive me...
It implies that Christ allowed for no division lines...

• Agree
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Right; that is the denotated meaning. The connotated meaning is indicating a particular denomination - the Roman Catholic Church.
I think that's a problem for the connotor.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
SkyWriting said:
The designation carries tons of baggage.
Christianity carries tons of baggage, too.
There is enough baggage for all...........
But our Chief Shepherd is lifting those burdens.........

Matthew 23:4
"For They are binding burdens, weighty/barea <926> and ill-bearing. And they are placing upon the shoulders of the men,
to the yet finger of them, not are willing to move them".

Acts 20:29
"For I have-perceived this.
That shall be entering after the departure of me, wolves, weighty/bareiV <926>, into ye, no sparing of-the shepherded/flock/poimniou <4168>"

1 Peter 5:4
And of being made manifest the Chief-Shepherd/arci-poimenoV <750>, ye shall be being requitted the unfading crown of the glory

Reve 19:15
And out of His mouth is issueing-out a sharp sword, that with it He should be smiting the Nations,
and He shall be shepherding/poimanei <4165> (5692) them in rod iron
and He is treading the trough of the wine of the fury of the God, the Almighty.

e9c16eb16f8d8acaefd0e3f6c098a0d2.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am catholic. Aren't all Christians? Are we not one body?
Are you saying there are no limits? Everthing goes?
Non Trinitarian included?
Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Big C little c ... does it make a difference to Christ? I think it does.

btw "Squamish" is a loose English adaptation/mispronunciation of Skwxwu7mesh, meaning "Mother of the Wind", "people of the sacred water" in the language of that people;

Cassia, I edited / added the "e" to Squamish, to make it now the word Squeamish. Also capitalized the small c, into the big C. lol

Since you are correcting me, I think I should correct you. Even if you use the abbreviated word "btw" at the beginning of a sentence, you should always capitalize it, at least the first letter of it. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I voted no, because I joyously confess faith in Christ's holy catholic Church. To be catholic is to be Christian, to be catholic is to be of Christ, to be catholic means to share in the life and faith of two millennia of Christian history grounded in the truth of Scripture, of the preaching and teaching of the apostles, confessing the Creeds, and a life grounded, centered, and rooted in Jesus Christ and His Word and Sacraments.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

btw "Squamish" is a loose English adaptation/mispronunciation of Skwxwu7mesh, meaning "Mother of the Wind", "people of the sacred water" in the language of that people;

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I voted no, because I joyously confess faith in Christ's holy catholic Church. To be catholic is to be Christian, to be catholic is to be of Christ, to be catholic means to share in the life and faith of two millennia of Christian history grounded in the truth of Scripture, of the preaching and teaching of the apostles, confessing the Creeds, and a life grounded, centered, and rooted in Jesus Christ and His Word and Sacraments.

-CryptoLutheran
So unless i become catholic im not a real christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hmmm interesting.
It also sounds more like Native American...
I say give America back to the Indians!
They may be more spiritual than a lot of catholic Christians are, including my humble self...........

Jesus appeared to the Indians?

Earth Prayers for The Great Spirit

"Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the wind, Whose Breath gives life to all the world. Hear me; I need your strength and wisdom.[Ezekiel 37]

O Great Spirit of the North, who gives wings to the waters of the air
O Great Spirit of the East, the land of the rising Sun,
O Great Spirit of the South, whose warm breath of compassion melts the ice that gathers round our hearts,
O Great Spirit of the West, the land of the setting Sun, with Your soaring mountains and free,

Ezekiel 37:
9 Then He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “Come! from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they come to life.
10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.
[Revelation 11:11]

Reve 11:11
And after the three days and half-equal, a spirit/breath of life out of YHWH entered them, and they stand on their feet
and fear, great falls on the ones beholding Them.
[Ezekiel 37:10]

Quote from movie "Thunderheart"......great movie!!

CROW HORSE "No. Not just a track.
You gotta listen to the trees, man. To the leaves. To this sand, you FBI's kicked all up. You gotta listen to the earth."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So unless i become catholic im not a real christian?

Your assumptions about what "catholic" means, means that likely nothing I say will matter here.

But, no, I'm not saying you're not a real Christian. So whatever you think I might be saying, that wasn't it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0