Are you squeamish about the word "catholic"?

Are you squeamish about the word "catholic"?

• Total voters

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In case you didn't know, Islam was about to over run the world. If the Crusaders had not done as they had, including gaining land, then all off the holy places we read about in the Bible would have been destroyed, all Christians in the Holy Land would have been executed or (as happens today in Islamic cultures) persecuted.

Columbus would not have been allowed to sail to China (without knowing that there was a huge pair of continents between him and China). Without that, Western Civilization would have been stalled, and you and I would both be speaking Arabic today instead of English.

Christianity would have thrived in India and Eastern Europe, and the only Bibles being printed would be in Mala-Yala and Russian.
In your opinion.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And how many of your prayers has God answered in the affirmative? God can answer prayers, and He always does. His answers are yes, no, and wait.

If He does answer yes to you all the time, then pray for a steady endowment for out hermitage, The Urban Hermitage of the Life Giving Fountain. We need the support.
The true apostles needed no carnal weapons.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 23:22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Because of this, you're calling Peter a false Apostle? That's wrong. Just because most of the NT was written by Paul, does not mean that Peter was not important. He was the chief of the Apostles. He spoke to the crowd on the day of Pentecost. He is also the first non-divine person to speak in the first chapter of Acts. Acts 1:16-26.

Yes, he had failings, all people do. Peter is not God, and he is not infallible. But he is not the devil. When Jesus said, "Get thee behind me satan," He was not speaking to Peter, but the fear that was in Peter.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because of this, you're calling Peter a false Apostle? That's wrong. Just because most of the NT was written by Paul, does not mean that Peter was not important. He was the chief of the Apostles. He spoke to the crowd on the day of Pentecost. He is also the first non-divine person to speak in the first chapter of Acts. Acts 1:16-26.

Yes, he had failings, all people do. Peter is not God, and he is not infallible. But he is not the devil. When Jesus said, "Get thee behind me satan," He was not speaking to Peter, but the fear that was in Peter.
No.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes i do, the crusades was a carnal war to take the holy land from muslims, and also to suppress "heresy". The real apostles didnt use swords however. God delivered them out of peril. Therefore any apostles using military power are false apostles.

Or it it your contention that because Peter used a sword, he was a false apostle?

If so, you're wrong again!

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
lol. That was funny, thank you i needed a laugh.

I wasn't being funny! It looks to me that the only type of reply you will accept from me, and other Catholics is rolling over and bowing down to you, and telling you that you are right. Got news for you, the only person that I roll over for is Jesus. He is always right.

However, whoever is instructing you in Christianity is doing a very poor job.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't being funny! It looks to me that the only type of reply you will accept from me, and other Catholics is rolling over and bowing down to you, and telling you that you are right. Got news for you, the only person that I roll over for is Jesus. He is always right.

However, whoever is instructing you in Christianity is doing a very poor job.
Please dont propagate such a false image of me. I dont like catholicism, i'll admit it. However, you dont need to roll over. How many times have i said i would leave this thread? (2 times) Yet you keep dogging me. Why? Because you want me to roll over for you? Look, lets let this go. It never ends well.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Please dont propagate such a false image of me. I dont like catholicism, i'll admit it. However, you dont need to roll over. How many times have i said i would leave this thread? (2 times) Yet you keep dogging me. Why? Because you want me to roll over for you? Look, lets let this go. It never ends well.

I keep dogging you because you keep answering me back in negative terms, spreading all sorts of bad news of the gospel of satan.

And you're never right! How many times have I tried to tell you something, and you completely renounce anything I have to say.

Even when I told you some of the history of the Church in the Dark Ages, you still refuse to believe that the original Church was Orthodox/Catholic, and not some type of non-denominational thing where the people would sit around someone's living room sitting on the floor in their blue jeans, listening to the next "hot" preacher break open the word of God and tell you new things.

Whether you believe it or not, from the very first, the Church was LITURGICAL, with a bishop or presbyter (priest) presiding. If you don't like that, don't argue at me about it, as you have an unteachable spirit, and until such time as you are ready to dump your pride and vanity, you will remain unteachable.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dont see "catholic" in scripture

Nor do I see Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, or any of the other Reformers in Scripture.

• Haha
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I voted no but then I have fun with it telling people ‘I’m catholic just not Roman’. And watch their eyes glaze over ^_^

Yup, me too. Evangelical Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But none of the churches chose those names for their assemblies.

OTOH, Catholics are very insistent upon people calling their churches 'Catholic' (and not calling any other denomination by that term).
That was and is because they promote themselves as the all embracing Church, the one body, one baptism, one Spirit, one Lord.
All other groups are seen as heretics from the one true Church, and not holding to the unity in Christ Jesus.
The RC Church claims to be the only church that has remained true to the succession of the Apostles with Peter as the leader and his succesors following in his footsteps.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
But none of the churches chose those names for their assemblies.

That's true. In Germany, Lutherans are simply called Evangelicals, the term closest to Luther's for describing his religious movement.

My understanding is that Roman Catholic is purely an epithet placed on them by the US government, the military specifically. Some Catholics have bristled at the term, they don't believe there can be other kinds of catholics, I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's true. In Germany, Lutherans are simply called Evangelicals, the term closest to Luther's for describing his religious movement.

My understanding is that Roman Catholic is purely an epithet placed on them by the US government, the military specifically. Some Catholics have bristled at the term, they don't believe there can be other kinds of catholics, I guess.
I found this:
"It is not possible to give an exact year when the Catholic Church began to be called the "Roman Catholic Church," but it is possible to approximate it. The term originates as an insult created by Anglicans who wished to refer to themselves as Catholic. They thus coined the term "Roman Catholic" to distinguish those in union with Rome from themselves and to create a sense in which they could refer to themselves as Catholics (by attempting to deprive actual Catholics to the right to the term).

Different variants of the "Roman" insult appeared at different times. The earliest form was the noun "Romanist" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which appeared in England about 1515-1525. The next to develop was the adjective "Romish" (similar to something done or believed in the Catholic Church), which appeared around 1525-1535. Next came the noun "Roman Catholic" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which was coined around 1595-1605. Shortly thereafter came the verb "to Romanize" (to make someone a Catholic or to become a Catholic), which appeared around 1600-10. Between 1665 and 1675 we got the noun "Romanism" (the system of Catholic beliefs and practices), and finally we got a latecomer term about 1815-1825, the noun "Roman Catholicism," a synonym for the earlier "Romanism."
Here:
When did the term "Roman Catholic Church" first come into being? | Catholic Answers

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i believe what is most important is the depth of your faith, the closeness of you and God, and the holy scriptures and teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ; having said that, my concerns with Catholicism, ( and i aim in no way to offend, this is my humble opinion) is that there is too much idolatry. a lot of people who practice catholicism are laboring under the mistaken impression that it is okay to pray to saints, or worship a crucifix on the wall. i understand the reasoning for rosaries, but praying to the many saints instead of God is wrong, praying to a crucifix like IT is God, is wrong. Praying to Mary like she's God, is again, wrong; However, Praying to Mary to TAKE your prayers to GOD, is right. nonetheless I've seen so many people get so swept up in all of these "garnishes". again, this is my opinion which I'm forming with the experiences of my own life, i do not hate Catholics, but i also do not agree with their many practices.

Upvote 0