Are you squeamish about the word "apostolic"

Does the word "apostolic" make you sqeamish?

• Total voters

Mountainmike

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nobody with a sense of early church history can object to either catholic or apostolic.

Or indeed the passage of faith by tradition.

Indeed, the church most certainly was catholic, for hundreds of years and many councils.

The change to a proper name Catholic as in "Roman Catholic" was only used post schism when the easterns went off to do their own thing, so then used as a means of distinction.

By that time the "catholic" church councils were responsible not just for the creed but also the canon and new testament, centuries before the schism..

Viewed by each other there are substantial differences between orthodox and RC - but viewed by the rest they are strikingly similar so still in essence catholic. Liturgical, sacramental, believe in real presence only if performed by clergy in apostolic succession, accept Marys role in salvation history, and so on.

Listening to many modern day Christians they seem to think the new testament just appeared, and was the basis for faith throughout history, they seem to have collective amnesia for the first millenium or millenium and a half

They have a vision of a multidenominational church that just did not exist till the reformationist churches dropped authority and tradition as the means of retaining meaning to scripture. Only then were all empowered to make up their own meanings, and then and only then did opinions and mutually exclusive dogmas so denominations of radically opposed dogma appeared. There are many protestant mutually exclusive views of such as eucharist and baptism. But it was certainly not always so.There was only one truth, the meaning handed with scripture by tradition.. Real presence in the case of eucharist. Protestants losing tradition has allowed massive variations in interpretation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I voted "no".

I also voted no, because I use "apostolic" in the sense of given to the Apostles by Jesus, and transmitted to others by the laying on of hands. I NEVER use the word to mean "Oneness."

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
APOSTLE:

Mark 6:30
The apostles gathered together with Jesus; and they reported to Him all that they had done and taught.

The apostles...Greek 652... apostolos...
a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders
  1. specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ

2. in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers

PERIOD!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Forgive me...
Your forgiven dear friend.....
Never shoot the messenger or the word, "apostle"
Or kill them.
The Jewish rulers did, and look what happened to their City and Temple in 70 shown in Revelation. .imho

Strong's Greek: 649. ἀποστέλλω (apostelló) -- to send, send away
Strong's Greek 649 133 Occurrences
apostelló: to send, send away
Definition: I send forth, send (as a messenger, commission, etc.), send away, dismiss.

Matt 23:34 Because of this, behold!
I am commissioning<649 ἀποστέλλω< toward ye Prophets and Wisemen and Scribes,
out of them ye shall be killing and ye shall be crucifying,
and of them ye will scourge in your synagogues, and will pursue from city to city;

[Reve 2:9 and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.......
Rev 3:9 “Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie....

Mat 23:37
'Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that art killing the prophets, and stoning those having been commissioned<649 ἀπεσταλμένους> unto Thee....................
Behold! left desolate to is your house;

Reve 18:19
And they cast dust upon their heads and cried out, lamenting and mourning, saying "woe! woe! the great City, in which are rich all the ones having the ships in the sea out of the preciousness of Her,
that to one hour She was desolated

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins.............

In executing the command of Titus, relative to the demolition of Jerusalem, the Roman soldiers not only threw down the buildings, but even dug up their foundations, and so completely levelled the whole circuit of the city, that a stranger would scarcely have known that it had ever been inhabited by human beings.............
APOSTLE:
Mark 6:30
The apostles gathered together with Jesus; and they reported to Him all that they had done and taught.
The apostles...Greek 652... apostolos...
a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders
  1. specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ
  2. in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers
PERIOD!
Correctomundo!!!

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The 11 apostles/messengers were given the last words of Jesus: The Great Commission.

Note the ORDER:

Matthew 28: 16-20 ...The Risen Jesus' last Words?..."The Great Commission"
16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain (Olives?) which Jesus had designated.
When they SAW Him, ( in His "spirit body" form) they WORSHIPED Him;(as God!)
but some were doubtful (of what they were SEEING!).
18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, (I don't require WORSHIP...I require FOLLOWING!)
“All (spiritual) AUTHORITY has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
(a) GO therefore and
(b) MAKE DISCIPLES (convert unbeleivers) of ALL the NATIONS,
(c) baptizing THEM (believing followers) in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, (TRI-UNE GOD)
(d) TEACHING them to OBSERVE all that I commanded you; (example and precepts)
and lo, I am with you always (spiritually), even to "the end of the (CHURCH) age".” (age of GRACE)

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My Church is apostolic in its origin. It can be traced back to Our Lord Himself. In the sense of the Nicene Creed, the word "apostolic" doesn't bother me.

I have no use for the non-Catholic and non-Orthodox ecclesial communities which claim (but misuse) (or mutilate) the word "apostolic".

• Agree
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My Church is apostolic in its origin. It can be traced back to Our Lord Himself. In the sense of the Nicene Creed, the word "apostolic" doesn't bother me.

I have no use for the non-Catholic and non-Orthodox ecclesial communities which claim (but misuse) (or mutilate) the word "apostolic".

What you said. Catholic, Orthodox, and Eastern Things I Do Not Understand (Malabar ...) they're what I mean by "apostolic". 2000 years old, with all of the alarming things that come with something 2000 years old.

"Apostolic" in other senses is just false advertising.

The word doesn't make me squeamish in any case. Strange word, "squeamish". Dr. Pimple Popper's videos of erupting volcanoes of pus...THAT makes me squeamish. False advertising just makes me irritated.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - OrthodoxWiki

Apostolicity

"The Church has been sent into the world, to bring the world into communion with God. Just as the Son was sent by the Father, and the Spirit sent by the Son, the Church has been sent by the Holy Trinity into the world.

Fr. Thomas Hopko:

As Christ was sent from God, so Christ Himself chose and sent His apostles. "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you ... receive ye the Holy Spirit," the risen Christ says to His disciples. Thus, the apostles go out to the world, becoming the first foundation of the Christian Church.
In this sense, then, the Church is called apostolic: first, as it is built upon Christ and the Holy Spirit sent from God and upon those apostles who were sent by Christ, filled with the Holy Spirit; and secondly, as the Church in its earthly members is itself sent by God to bear witness to His Kingdom, to keep His word and to do His will and His works in this world.
This sending was first effected with the apostles, thus apostolicity is not only the divine mission; it is also unity of the Church with the apostles who were sent out by Jesus Christ. Thus, there is an apostolic succession by which the pastors of the Church are able to trace their orders back to the infant Church founded by Jesus Christ in the first century."

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasiblogo

Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟968,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Roman Catholic and have attended evangelical churches since around 19. Anyway, I have found this discussion interesting and Ron's second criterion for the word, "in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers" stimulating enough for me to want to do some digging. I seem to vaguely recall that some of what I will encounter will not be "a-post-to-like"

• Friendly
Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised Roman Catholic and have attended evangelical churches since around 19. Anyway, I have found this discussion interesting and Ron's second criterion for the word, "in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers" stimulating enough for me to want to do some digging. I seem to vaguely recall that some of what I will encounter will not be "a-post-to-like"

Here's a good place to dig around... the good, the bad and the ugly are all in there.
Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Forgive me...

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0