Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
I am interested in your opinions on Harry Potter. The third movie in the series is due out next week.

I am pasting an article below that takes a different slant on the subject than what I usually hear from Christians and would be interested in your views.

Why Is Everyone
So Wild
About Harry?
A plea for a more balanced approach to the Harry Potter dispute

Hey, personally, I am not so wild about Harry Potter myself. You would probably say that I am more, umm, apathetic on the subject. Indifferent, that is, compared to the fits of fury that has gripped some of my friends when Harry’s name crops up. Having watched the ebb and flow of opposition among conservative Christian circles against the bespeckled but beguiling little Potter guy, I am surprised by my ambivalence on the subject. My friends are foaming at the mouth and telling me that I should be denouncing the pubescent little wizard from the pulpit, maybe even carrying a placard outside a bookstore or theater or, if I were as committed to Christ as they are, perhaps I should be writing yet another book against the sweet little guy. At the very least, my apathy is part of the problem. I should be mounting a crusade.

But, personally, I just don’t get it. I’m having trouble understanding what all the fuss is about.

Along about the fifth release in the Potter series, one ministry called for a national prayer vigil at midnight on the release date, declaring that “curses will be released, especially against children. That's why we need to pray at midnight.” Furthermore, the ministry claimed, “As witches are commanding spirits into the earth's realm, we Christians need to set up the force field of God in binding those spirits from being released." The spokesperson even claimed that because of their personal anti-Potter efforts in their own hometown, their ministry was so effective that theirs “was the only city in the country that forbid the Harry Potter books in public libraries.” This is the same evangelist who has gained notoriety traveling the country in a 30-foot Winnebago called “The Demon Buster.” Don’t laugh. She has a following in the thousands and has “appeared on every major Christian network there is.” As is always the case when controversy arises, someone captures the spotlight and seeks a platform to exploit the hullabaloo for all it’s worth.

But, having seen variations of this tactic played out dozens of times before, my cynical side suspected a tape series in the works or yet another sensation-exploiting book arising out of the turmoil and arriving on store shelves along with all the media attention it will garner.

However, the mass exodus of our children from the faith into witchcraft that Berit Kjos, in an online article entitled “Harry Potter Lures Kids to Witchcraft with Praise from Christian Leaders,” predicted would happen in the wake of Harry Potter simply has yet to materialize. In fact, the furor over Harry of a couple of years ago has died out almost completely. There seems to be very little marshalling of troops as the third Ptter movie, “Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban.”

Having said that, I know I am throwing down a gauntlet and (as much of an oxymoron as it may be) I know I can be expecting some good old-fashioned Christian hate mail on this issue, demanding I take sides (i.e. their side). Either I’m with ‘em or I’m against ‘em in their crusade against Harry Potter.

Charles Colson received a good share of Christian venom after a Break Point broadcast in which he had the chutzpa to write an article "in defense of Harry Potter." He was summarily burned at the stake (metaphorically, of course) and probably wishes he had kept his mouth shut. After all, that’s what "go-for-the-jugular" rebuttals, book-burnings and library-bannings are designed to do -- shut your dissenting mouth. One writer even inferred, if not blatantly charged, that Colson, because of his religiously-incorrect views, was "showing his true [antichristian] colors." Other epithets I have read aimed at demonizing dissenters who do not share anti-Harry concerns include taunting phrases like "so-called Christians," "blind guides," "satanic," "blasphemous," "judas iscariots," among others. That kind of name-calling is uncalled for and could even be called unchristian itself.
Unless I have misread the scriptures, we are supposed to "overcome evil with good" (Romans 12.21), not with malice and hostility, placards and book burnings, hate mail and letters to the editor. Despite our differences on this issue, we must patiently seek "to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4.3). The unbelieving world knows us by our love, but they are always aware and ready to point out our hostility when we breach the boundary of good manners.

Anyhow, here goes . . .

(continued tomorrow)

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I personally will not allow my children to watch anything that has an elements dealing with wizards, mystical magic, etc.. Just my personal choice as a parent. I don't however, voice anything anti-Potter in public. Each one has a choice and must follow their own convictions.
Some Christians overdid it. If you don't want your kids to read it that is your right as a parent. Same if don't mind your kids reading Harry Potter.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is a really touchy subject, and books like this are very close to the line. It is really really hard to make such a determination. As for my views, any books that specifically write out spells (in my language of all things!) should not be read, but those books which promote good values and happen to have paganism in them (no books are perfect except the Bible) should be decided upon by an individual basis (strength of faith).

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I have a friend who is a school teacher and she has noted that everytime a new book and/or movie come out and all the children see it there is a marked difference for the worse in their behavior. She notes that they are more agitated and angry.

Because of it's consentration on the side of witchcraft, I do not think it is good reading for children. But that's just my opinion. For the purpose of not talking with lack of knowledge, I read the first book and found it to be imaginative and exciting as well as horrific and terrifying.

I work for a book publisher and have seen a large increase in the "witchcraft" industry to children since the Harry Potter books. I have seen many books on "how to be a witch", "how to be a wizard", "majic potions", etc. geared toward children. I have read portions of them, and yes, they are "how to" books.

I would like to see more Christian writer's come out with books that are not so "goody two shoes", yet demonstrative of the real Spirit filled Christian walk. While it is good that so many children are learning to read better and are having their imaginations stretched it would be good if it were being stretched more on how to operate more as a Christian instead of a witch/wizard. I would much rather see children instigated toward the holy over the unholy.

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
Continuation of article from #1

Is Harry dangerous?

Is Harry dangerous? I would answer, yes and no. Yes, of course unsupervised and impressionable children can be influenced by negative input - of all kinds - from Saturday morning cartoons to Dungeons and Dragons, Gameboys to Ouija boards. It’s a sad fact we have to face in this high-tech postmodern culture - we cannot shield our children from every negative stimulus. Children without the discernment that maturity brings can certainly be led astray by Harry Potter . . . or anything else for that matter. Some people can misuse even the Bible in support of almost any cause or belief. So, yes, Harry Potter can be dangerous. But so can Grimm’s fairy tales - and for that matter Disney’s Fantasia (in which Mickey was, after all, a sorcerer’s apprentice), The Wizard of Oz, and even Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia - for those who are not discriminating or are hyper-impressionable.

However, we can carry our zeal to protect our families too far. Take this ungracious and less-than-Christlike indictment for example which charges that "the author of Harry Potter is nothing but a proselytizing witch." That’s a serious, and probably unfounded, charge. Actually, it’s just plain old name-calling, but not at all unusual in these kinds of emotionally-fueled debates. Despite accusations from conservative Christians, the author of Harry Potter, Ms. J. K. Rowling, has straightforwardly stated for the record that she is not a witch with a diabolical hidden agenda to corrupt our kids. ''I absolutely did not start writing these books to encourage any child into witchcraft,” she said in an interview. ''I'm laughing slightly because to me, the idea is absurd. I have met thousands of children now, and not even one time has a child come up to me and said, 'Ms. Rowling, I'm so glad I've read these books because now I want to be a witch.' They see it for what it is. It is a fantasy world and they understand that completely." Of course, such a defense falls on the deaf ears of the truly committed witch hunter.

From my own (and admittedly less-than-scientific) poll on the matter, it turns out that I may be one of the few conservative Christian critics of Harry Potter to have actually read one of the books. I also saw the movies (for the record, I have also seen Lord of the Rings). Because I actually took the time to investigate it for myself, I hope my appraisal is tempered by a more objective and unprejudiced view. At the least, I hope my reaction to it is less of a knee-jerk conformity to the more vocal conservative anti-Harry Christian viewpoint. If Harry Potter is dangerous, I certainly want to know it - first-hand - and not be guilty of group-think or spoon-fed what I am to believe by those with an agenda or a book to sale. I do not want to be influenced by others opinions on the matter or by books which, I sometimes suspect, are written to capitalize on the hysteria they have created from yet another crusade. I am not naive enough to dismiss the fact that anti-Harry books have generated a nice little cottage industry for some writers and publishers. Unfortunately, at least as I view it, Christian publishers have learned from their mainstream counterparts that controversy is marketable.

Let every word be established​

Furthermore, my memory is not so fleeting that I have forgotten those catastrophic, even apocalyptic, Y2K predictions that dominated bookshelves and airwaves such a short time ago. Christians who bought into the Y2 hysteria spawned by the as yet unrepentant doomsayers, selfishly stockpiled supplies in their basements and attics in anticipation of an imminent world techno-economic collapse. Once the furor passed and the prophesied destruction failed to emerge, still not a single Y2K doomsayer, to my knowledge, apologized for their false predictions and the hysteria it produced – not even the ones who offered their prophecies in the “name of the Lord.”

I, too, have, I am embarrassed to admit, been caught up in some of these reactive responses to things like, for example, the infamous but bogus Madelyn Murray O’Hair petitions and other equally fallacious Christian urban legends and hoaxes. I as once convinced that the Rapture of the Church must occur before 1982. I had charts and mathematical calculations (all based on scripture, of course) to prove it.

Or who can forget the Siberian hole in hell with recordings of the anguished cries of the damned that circulated in our churches and was played on our Christian radio stations for the ever-gullible ears of activist Christians? Thousands rushed to buy tapes so their unsaved friends could hear the torments of hell.

Is it any wonder the Lord calls us sheep?

Perhaps the most shameful urban legend of all, in my opinion, were those hateful rumors circulated (unfortunately, in churches via video) regarding the alleged complicity of former President Clinton in murder-for-hire and nefarious international drug dealing. Despite one’s politics or one’s feelings regarding the personal scandals surrounding the life of Bill Clinton, those same Ten Commandments we so fervently want to see posted in our schools and courtrooms instructs us to “not bear false witness" against others. And the Word of God we so earnestly defend plainly tells us, "You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people" (Acts 23.5). Ignoring the truth we so adamantly defend, and allowing our politics to cloud our judgment, Christians, to our everlasting shame, hopped on the Clinton-bashing bandwagon and accused him of things for which we still had no proof. To his credit, Jerry Falwell recanted his complicity in such unfounded charges and stopped publication of the video. Unfortunately, though, I have yet to hear any retractions or repentance from the Christian media and churches that published, propagated, or aired those vicious and unsupported charges. In my opinion, the propagators are just as culpable as the instigators themselves.

Scripture insists that we "prove all things" (1 Thess. 5.21) - not that we fall for all things.

Rich Buhler, who catalogs and investigates Christian urban legends on his website at TruthorFiction.com, writes, "I don't fault every person who spreads a rumor; not every person has the time or money or expertise to look into it," Buhler says. "But I do fault the publishers and broadcasters, no matter how small they are; even if it's a church bulletin. Anybody who publishes or broadcasts has a responsibility to put time into checking something out." Buhler says that if a story can't be verified, it should not be repeated, or it should at least include a disclaimer that the story is unsubstantiated. "The investigation into [a] rumor is not intended to question the Bible,’ Buhler says, "but rather to clarify [an] unsubstantiated and apparently fabricated . . . story." The issue, he says, is truth. "The standard of truth should be the same everywhere: Is something true or is it not?" Buhler says. "But the stakes are very high for Christians because of whom we represent. We certainly don't want to be incredible when telling our very credible story about Christ."

(article continued tomorrow)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Jim B said:
Continuation of article from #1

Let every word be established​

Furthermore, my memory is not so fleeting that I have forgotten those catastrophic, even apocalyptic, Y2K predictions that dominated bookshelves and airwaves such a short time ago. Christians who bought into the Y2 hysteria spawned by the as yet unrepentant doomsayers, selfishly stockpiled supplies in their basements and attics in anticipation of an imminent world techno-economic collapse. Once the furor passed and the prophesied destruction failed to emerge, still not a single Y2K doomsayer, to my knowledge, apologized for their false predictions and the hysteria it produced – not even the ones who offered their prophecies in the “name of the Lord.”

I, too, have, I am embarrassed to admit, been caught up in some of these reactive responses to things like, for example, the infamous but bogus Madelyn Murray O’Hair petitions and other equally fallacious Christian urban legends and hoaxes. I as once convinced that the Rapture of the Church must occur before 1982. I had charts and mathematical calculations (all based on scripture, of course) to prove it.

Or who can forget the Siberian hole in hell with recordings of the anguished cries of the damned that circulated in our churches and was played on our Christian radio stations for the ever-gullible ears of activist Christians? Thousands rushed to buy tapes so their unsaved friends could hear the torments of hell.

Is it any wonder the Lord calls us sheep?

Perhaps the most shameful urban legend of all, in my opinion, were those hateful rumors circulated (unfortunately, in churches via video) regarding the alleged complicity of former President Clinton in murder-for-hire and nefarious international drug dealing. Despite one’s politics or one’s feelings regarding the personal scandals surrounding the life of Bill Clinton, those same Ten Commandments we so fervently want to see posted in our schools and courtrooms instructs us to “not bear false witness" against others. And the Word of God we so earnestly defend plainly tells us, "You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people" (Acts 23.5). Ignoring the truth we so adamantly defend, and allowing our politics to cloud our judgment, Christians, to our everlasting shame, hopped on the Clinton-bashing bandwagon and accused him of things for which we still had no proof. To his credit, Jerry Falwell recanted his complicity in such unfounded charges and stopped publication of the video. Unfortunately, though, I have yet to hear any retractions or repentance from the Christian media and churches that published, propagated, or aired those vicious and unsupported charges. In my opinion, the propagators are just as culpable as the instigators themselves.

Scripture insists that we "prove all things" (1 Thess. 5.21) - not that we fall for all things.

Rich Buhler, who catalogs and investigates Christian urban legends on his website at TruthorFiction.com, writes, "I don't fault every person who spreads a rumor; not every person has the time or money or expertise to look into it," Buhler says. "But I do fault the publishers and broadcasters, no matter how small they are; even if it's a church bulletin. Anybody who publishes or broadcasts has a responsibility to put time into checking something out." Buhler says that if a story can't be verified, it should not be repeated, or it should at least include a disclaimer that the story is unsubstantiated. "The investigation into [a] rumor is not intended to question the Bible,’ Buhler says, "but rather to clarify [an] unsubstantiated and apparently fabricated . . . story." The issue, he says, is truth. "The standard of truth should be the same everywhere: Is something true or is it not?" Buhler says. "But the stakes are very high for Christians because of whom we represent. We certainly don't want to be incredible when telling our very credible story about Christ."

(article continued tomorrow)
I agree whole-heartedly with this. One of the reason's I read the first book was because I was hearing through the Christian grapevine that the book said some things against Jesus and Christianity. I asked several people I knew who had read it and they said that was not in there. Then I read it, and it was not in there.

The Madalyne Murray O'Hair thing. . .I remember signing that petition in HS. . .over 30 yrs ago. Then in my 20's someone passed it to me to sign again. Then, when I saw it again a few years later I thought, "wait a minute" :scratch: I started doing some research. It is disconcerting what Christians will believe without checking it out for themselves. I remember when it surfaced again several years later and when I told the people they called me a liar and were really angry with me.

Gullible. . .Christians can be very gullible. While I don't think we should be critical of everything we do need to check things out before we speak. Porverbs 18:13 "He that answers a matter before he hears is, it is a folly and a shame unto him".

Reactions: jenptcfan
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
rooster said:
Good to see you back JB
I agree. . .good to see ya back Jim
attachment.php

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My opinion re: Harry Potter... can't stand it. I was once told by a now-Christian ex-witch that many of the "spells" in the books are actual words/combinations etc. used commonly in witchcraft. Also, I hate how the book portrays people who are into witchcraft as being special, having a special personhood, unique, valuable, gifted, intelligent and capable, happy and loving etc., but those who are anti-witchcraft or even unaware about it are "muggles", ordinary and boring, unhappy and rigid, unkind, hateful even, and dullards.

My sister sent the first book in the series for Christmas one year, long ago, for our children. I read it completely through, as there was no way I was going to give it to my children to read without having read it myself first. Let me just say, personally... My Dh and I burned that book.

Now, please, no one go off on me here -- I don't judge other people in what they choose -- it's not my personal concern, and I do realize that a good many believers have no problem with the books. But for us in OUR household, where it IS my husband's and my concern what material our children are exposed to and embrace, we felt it was not material we wanted our children to think we endorse.

Upvote 0

rhemarob

May 8, 2004
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟731.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no real problem with Harry Potter, My son and I have seen the other two movies and will likely see the next one.

I respect and understand some other Christian's objections to the series but I also think that sometimes by going completely overboard on it you actually spark a childs interest even more.

My son will be the first to tell anyone that Jesus is real and Harry is a fake.

Harry ain't the Potter, God is....
and it don't take a wiz to figure that out!

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the books offend your conscience, then to you it is sin - ie. don't read them, burn them, whatever.

If the books do not offend your conscience, enjoy them.

But we cannot make our conscience as 'doctrine' to another person's.

That way we don't go around beating each other up over it.

For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Rom 14:17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
when i was a child, i read "so you want to be a wizard" (a childrens fiction book), and i was hooked. i DID want to be a wizard(ress?) and i DID get into the occult for quite a while.

personally, i think it's poison. what's hazardous about it, is that the "good guys" on the movies/books are witches, which is an unbiblical world view, becuase the bible tells us that witchcraft is an abomination, and those who practice it are doing evil. to me, it's not compatible with a biblical worldview.

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LynneClomina said:
when i was a child, i read "so you want to be a wizard" (a childrens fiction book), and i was hooked. i DID want to be a wizard(ress?) and i DID get into the occult for quite a while.

personally, i think it's poison. what's hazardous about it, is that the "good guys" on the movies/books are witches, which is an unbiblical world view, becuase the bible tells us that witchcraft is an abomination, and those who practice it are doing evil. to me, it's not compatible with a biblical worldview.
I'm with you.
It's a trap. It's not harmless fun.
It's purpose is to indoctrinate this generation
with the occult.

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jim B, it's good to have you back!

andry said:
If the books offend your conscience, then to you it is sin - ie. don't read them, burn them, whatever.

If the books do not offend your conscience, enjoy them.

But we cannot make our conscience as 'doctrine' to another person's.

That way we don't go around beating each other up over it.

For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Rom 14:17

I agree. I personally have no desire to see these movies or read these books, and probably will not let my son either. I guess for me there is a difference between say the Lord of the Rings / Star Wars and the Harry Potter movies. The first two are obviously make beleive and "fairy tale" the HP stuff in set in today's times and asserts regular kids can do this stuff. But again that is my personal views on it..........Romans 14

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree somewhat. I do feel that media can and does influence but if you read the series you can see that the real story behind HP is one of racism/classism. The mixed blooded (magic/mundane parents) vs. those who had 2 wizard parents.

I look towards 1 Cor 10, Believer's Freedom, for my answer to these issues. I can seperate fantasy from reality, others may not. I can read HP, but I'm not going to ask anyone else to who feels it's dangerous.

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
These posts to Harry Potter are interesting and show me that it is more a matter of conscience than anything else.

Still, I would like to ask LynneClomina a question. LC said,

LynneClomina said:

I am wondering if the same standard that is used to condemn Harry Potter is used for other fantasy classics as Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Grimm’s Fairy Tales, Disney’s Fantasia, Cinderella, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, etc.etc. If so, what is the standard? If not, why not? It seems to me that we Christians are often selective (and often arbitrary) in our attacks on things like Harry Potter, who seems to be especially singled out for ire. Just saying that, because the subject is wizardry, magic, and witchcraft it should be banned, falls short. That standard would also rule out all of those classics mentioned above.

What do you think?

Jim
\o/

PS:
Thanx Quaffer, Andyman, Rooster, and all. It is good to be back. This time, though, I plan to deal with less controversial subjects (although, you wouldn’t know it by this thread) and be less obnoxious (although that goes against my nature ;) ).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.