Are you quicker to open your mouth than your mind?

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Preface: The Big Issue is an Australian magazine which is not politically affiliated with any views, other than the issue of homelessness in a modern society. website

Self absorbed in my own minor problems, I took myself to the Italian Forum today to wind down and refocus on the important points of life. As I was approaching the main food court for a spot of lunch, I noticed a vendor of The Big Issue and decided if I could blow $60-70 odd dollars going out the night before, I could probably afford to reinforce a program benefiting thousands of disadvantaged Australians for just $5. Just this once. Cause I'm a poor student, right? And I would have some reading material - bonus!

I sat down with my copy of The Big Issue and stretched out in the comfort of my winter gloves, jacket, scarf and shoes. Anticipating my hot meal, I was already welcoming the thought of going home and retreating from the violently cold wind. Opening the cover with interest, but expecting poor content, I found stories covering how The Big Issue has been dedicated to raising the standard of countless Australians for 13 years, without resorting to street-calling donations, stylistically manipulative content, or propaganda. While The Big Issue actively remonstrates the position society relegates the long term unemployed and/or mentally ill to occupy, they convey the utter truth about homelessness in an informative and practical manner. Not just what's wrong with the situation, but what little things we can do about it. There's also recipes and jokes to boot!

How often we find ourselves embroiled in superficial problems with our lives, when there are thousands of people struggling to access the basic resources we consider rightfully ours! What are you having for dinner tonight, Mary? Geez, your wife's been working so much overtime lately Fred! I had an appointment with the doctor today, and my appointment was 10 minutes late! Imagine not knowing if you're going to eat dinner at all this week, or how you're going to convince someone to hire you, given you've got schizophrenia. Yeah, I guess our problems aren't so big, hey?

So, this self-absorbed pratt is compelling you to go out there and buy your copy of The Big Issue from a tagged official vender. $2.50 of your $5.00 goes directly into his/her pocket, and increases their opportunity of living in half the privilege you're enjoying right now by sitting comfortably in your chair, browsing my profile on a social connection website, and thinking how comforting it is to have people care about you via your online profile. Let's wake up and care about the people on in our real life profiles, it might even prompt us to recognize what's important in life.

From "Speak Up So Others Listen" by Daren "Dazza" W, Issue no. 330, 2-15 June, 2009.

' When I lived on the streets I saw the same people every day and it was as if I didn't exist. I have been differently because I am homeless; also because of my illness. I have had trouble getting psychiatric treatment and accessing other services while living on the streets. On many nights, I have been hungry and cold. There are more than 100, 000 people experiencing homelessness in Australia. All of these people could tell you stories similar to mine. [..] About 50% of homeless people in Australia are under 24 [..]

It is important that they hear my story and try to understand homelessness. I don't want them to judge homeless people or people with mental health issues. Homeless people are not dangerous or scary, just different. All people have human rights, even homeless people. [..] When people are listening to you, they learn something. They boost your self-respect and self-confidence. Speaking up is important. Taking part is important. Make them listen.'

W

WESTERNdeitySIXmoths

all animals that recognise themselves are selfish... that's why they recognise a "self", because it benefits them to do so

there are three reasons people do things that may appear to be "selfless":

appearance, i.e. people praise a "giver"... e.g. bono and every other liberal celebrity (voted for obama types). can't you just imagine them sitting around "i'm the most caring, sensitive and open-minded" "no i am"...

power... one might feel powerful observing the "change" and "difference" they can make e.g. angelina jolie or madonna "helping" black children, and celebrities who want to give "aid" to africa... the worst thing they could ever imagine would be an economically booming africa with city after city of independent, powerful black people walking around suited up. no... what they want to do is keep feeding "poor little black babies" out of their hands for the cocaine-like buzz.

feeling in control... generally the domain of damaged people... think jenny mccarthy "helping" the "fight" with autism...

there is no such thing as selflessness. there sure is a lot of pretentiousness though...

evidently most are quicker to open their mouths than their minds. but you go girl, keep on non-conforming!

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks TrutherAU, but I'm only Italian by family marriage. My heritage is Dutch. :)

The point of my post is this: stop sitting around and watching these people suffer because you/we/society thinks they're unworthy or unhelpable. Just listening to someones story, and saying hello and how are you is enough to begin turning the curve.

Reactions: newtaste
Upvote 0

newtaste

Not so new...
Site Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
Sydney
✟27,277.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The point of my post is this: stop sitting around and watching these people suffer because you/we/society thinks they're unworthy or unhelpable. Just listening to someones story, and saying hello and how are you is enough to begin turning the curve.
When I was homeless last year, what helped was strangers, mostly Christians, who talked to me and who did genuinely have concern for my welfare without trying to tell me what to do. I had to make my own decisions. And I did.

Upvote 0