Are you here to learn from others or to correct them?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But RC churches do! it is a part of part 3 of catechism!
"2081 The Ten Commandments, in their fundamental content, state grave obligations.

Catholics are the guilt people, so we are told, and priests often focus on one aspect or another of that!
We know cannot be certain of salvation until the race has run its course, and we accept all our Lords ordinances, so we can only hope for Grace, since all of us fall short by some way.
There is no easy say this or do this, and you will be fine, in catholicism!
If you want to discuss this further start a thread in it. Give me a link to the thread and I will happily join you there.
I am NOT going to be party to derailing this thread

Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I strongly disagree with the idea that the only legitimate teachers are those who can trace their authority back to the early church. There is no teaching in the Bible requiring that. Sounds more like a man-made monopoly.

By the way, not all of us Protestant Bible teachers are self-appointed. I was called by Christ into missions and chosen by various churches to teach. One of my treasures is a 25-year service pen gifted to me by my mission church in Taiwan. They asked me to teach in 1992 and I have been teaching continuously since then at the same church.

Some churches have asked me to teach/preach before I had any thought of it. After a couple of years of teaching on the mission field, I discovered that I had a spiritual gift for teaching - perhaps my strongest gift. More than just teaching-skill, which many non-Christians have, God releases spiritual power when I teach.

So, while my teaching is not approved by the Catholic Guild, it is far from self-appointed. I'm sure there are many teachers like me, all over the world and on the forum too.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why "or"? why not both?
Iron sharpen iron.
I correct (debate) others from what I learn and maybe they will have a prospective I never saw before so I will learn. I'm not going to tell something to others I know is a complete lie. But I know I can be mistaken and have no monopoly on truth. I have learned a lot throughout the years on this forums including views that I disagree with. At least I understand their position more better.
Debating and defending your position to me is putting it to the test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why "or"? why not both?
Iron sharpen iron.
I correct (debate) others from what I learn and maybe they will have a prospective I never saw before so I will learn. I'm not going to tell something to others I know is a complete lie. But I know I can be mistaken and have no monopoly on truth. I have learned a lot throughout the years on this forums including views that I disagree with. At least I understand their position more better.
Debating and defending your position to me is putting it to the test.
I agree. Nothing wrong with a little iron sharpening iron.

Problem is when people
Make it more about a person, less about theology.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm confident that there are quite a few fellow Christians here on CF who, overall, are more spiritually solid than I am myself. So, don't you worry 'bout that, Peter. ;)

I wonder how Paul felt about all of this?

Sometimes this is true. But, sometimes it isn't. (addressing the part in red.)

To some extent this is true, but even the mature have to learn things from time to time, being that we all "see through a glass darkly."

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
We don't ALL necessarily "see through a glass darkly", if indeed 1 Corinthians 13:10 is referring to the time when the N.T. hadn't been completed, and the apostles/disciples were depending on temporary spiritual gifts until it had. Some only read 1 Corinthians 2:9 and think "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." erroneously thinking this is speaking of things still awaiting us in heaven, while it is actually speaking of the things that would be revealed to Christians once the N.T. was completed. Though at the time 1Co 2:9 was written the total N.T. wasn't completed, the very next verse says "But God HATH REVEALED them (the things that would be written when the N.T. was completed) unto us by his Spirit:..." 1 Corinthians 2:10.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can we be divided so easily into two types here on CF? There are other types who are here for entertainment or singles looking for a potential partner perhaps?
I would the say the ones who are here to correct others would hesitate to the admit that. They might say something like "I am here for both. To learn and correct." But the reality I suggest is, they feel confident enough in their spiritual knowledge to be correcters only.
I don't want to be on CF, if I ever reach that stage. because then I have nothing else to learn.

You say "I don't want to be on CF, if I ever reach that stage. because then I have nothing else to learn." Since God has nothing to learn, knowing all things already, would that suggest He would not want to interact through us on CF?

When I first came on CF I would see that alert number of all the blogs I hadn't read yet, and want to read them and get rid of that number, or get it way down.
Lately, I have just let that number rise to 76. I am reading very few blogs currently. The division among the writers/responders became disturbing to me. I no longer wanted to teach/correct/or seek to learn from them. For the time I am focusing on praying and commenting on the "prayer wall', trying to be a positive help to people. Occasionally I write a blog to hopefully share something people can use, or just write a prayer to bless God. I may occasionally enter the debate of the blogs in the future, which hasn't seemed that effective in helping people in the past, but for now I feel I can serve better mostly in praying for those requesting prayer.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Learn. When I first sought out the forums it was in a Google search because I had a question. I have learned much here and find other denominations and differences fascinating. I also like to learn together in edification and discussion, including debates.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

1gh2g3f4

Jul 12, 2017
✟20,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can we be divided so easily into two types here on CF? There are other types who are here for entertainment or singles looking for a potential partner perhaps?
I would the say the ones who are here to correct others would hesitate to the admit that. They might say something like "I am here for both. To learn and correct." But the reality I suggest is, they feel confident enough in their spiritual knowledge to be correcters only.
I don't want to be on CF, if I ever reach that stage. because then I have nothing else to learn.
both ---- but some will get full reproach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I originally joined CF around 2002, 2003? I joined because I wanted to occupy my mind. I was working from midnight to noon each weekend at my job in a control room completely alone. I was bored stiff in about an hour and a half after all my duties were complete and all I had to do was stare at 7 computer monitors watching gauges. So, I love the bible. I love discussing Jesus so I came here.

What I actually found was a vibrant, living body of Christ full of experiences, knowledge and different points of view. I have learned more on this forum than I could ever learn in a church. Because for years I was here daily, and I was here to learn. There are a lot of well grounded Christians on this forum that can give you some real knowledge.

Recently, however, I have come to feel that a search for truth is no longer always needed for someone to push the reply button anymore. It doesn't matter if it is correct, or if the statement can be substantiated biblically. All that matters is that is how they feel, or what they believe. And now all of a sudden you are a horrible person for not just 100% accepting whatever is presented. There is no more dialog. If you do not agree, your ignored, or blatantly railed against.

I want someone to be able to biblically kick in my teeth and utterly shake my belief system to the core. Forcing me to reconsider what I hold as truth, and forcing me to hit my knees asking for forgiveness and insight to what was just shown to me. I want to learn God's knowledge, and the only way to do that is to be challenged. I hate feeling if I dare write a post that is too long it won't even be read. I hate studying for hours putting together a response to just be flippantly dismissed. If I am wrong I want to be shown that I am wrong.

So with that being said, I love the correctors that will show me the errors of my way. I welcome their chastisement. And I solemnly hope that I have been that chastisement in someone else's walk with Christ.

As a Christian, if you fear someone reading you your own mail, pointing out your faults, or correcting your doctrinal belief, you may want to pray about that. If you can not humble yourself and go to God in prayer about a brother or sister in Christ pointing something out about you, you may just be too prideful to do so. And definitely, pride is an issue if you can not admit your error to that brother or sister if you are wrong.

A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to Bible interpretation, you might think your insight is the only insight or the best one. So when you come across a different one, you feel it necessary to correct them.
I see people on CF stating their opinion as irrefutable fact.
[blind post]

You nailed it, paul. Most of the posts I see start out like, "This is A and that is B". If only they'd put an "imo" in front of that, it would come across so much better. I'm sure I've done it too, but the fact is that virtually everything we write is our opinion or interpretation of certain things. To simply state our opinions as if they were facts which should be obvious to the most casual observer shows a lack of humility (imo ;-). I think most of the posters - especially in certain subforums - show a lack of humility, which is quite off-putting.

For the most part, I'm pretty much beyond teachable at this point. Oh, there are a precious few posters who I'll still read and take seriously, but the majority strike me as simply so much noise (my ignore list keeps growing). And I don't try to teach much any more because I'm just one in the cacophony of "teachers". So I come here out of habit, and to try to glean some value in some things I read when I'm up in the middle of the night.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I originally joined CF around 2002, 2003? I joined because I wanted to occupy my mind. I was working from midnight to noon each weekend at my job in a control room completely alone. I was bored stiff in about an hour and a half after all my duties were complete and all I had to do was stare at 7 computer monitors watching gauges. So, I love the bible. I love discussing Jesus so I came here.

What I actually found was a vibrant, living body of Christ full of experiences, knowledge and different points of view. I have learned more on this forum than I could ever learn in a church. Because for years I was here daily, and I was here to learn. There are a lot of well grounded Christians on this forum that can give you some real knowledge.

Recently, however, I have come to feel that a search for truth is no longer always needed for someone to push the reply button anymore. It doesn't matter if it is correct, or if the statement can be substantiated biblically. All that matters is that is how they feel, or what they believe. And now all of a sudden you are a horrible person for not just 100% accepting whatever is presented. There is no more dialog. If you do not agree, your ignored, or blatantly railed against.

I want someone to be able to biblically kick in my teeth and utterly shake my belief system to the core. Forcing me to reconsider what I hold as truth, and forcing me to hit my knees asking for forgiveness and insight to what was just shown to me. I want to learn God's knowledge, and the only way to do that is to be challenged. I hate feeling if I dare write a post that is too long it won't even be read. I hate studying for hours putting together a response to just be flippantly dismissed. If I am wrong I want to be shown that I am wrong.

So with that being said, I love the correctors that will show me the errors of my way. I welcome their chastisement. And I solemnly hope that I have been that chastisement in someone else's walk with Christ.

As a Christian, if you fear someone reading you your own mail, pointing out your faults, or correcting your doctrinal belief, you may want to pray about that. If you can not humble yourself and go to God in prayer about a brother or sister in Christ pointing something out about you, you may just be too prideful to do so. And definitely, pride is an issue if you can not admit your error to that brother or sister if you are wrong.

A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
One of the things that really stops me from reading posts that are too long are just that most of the time I am on my phone responding and it is just too hard to respond and reply to specific text in a very long message.

The second thing is that it can be very hard on ones eyes when they read so much from a computer screen, specifically a small one on a phone.

When I am on my computer, a very different story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
[blind post]

You nailed it, paul. Most of the posts I see start out like, "This is A and that is B". If only they'd put an "imo" in front of that, it would come across so much better. I'm sure I've done it too, but the fact is that virtually everything we write is our opinion or interpretation of certain things. To simply state our opinions as if they were facts which should be obvious to the most casual observer shows a lack of humility (imo ;-). I think most of the posters - especially in certain subforums - show a lack of humility, which is quite off-putting.

For the most part, I'm pretty much beyond teachable at this point. Oh, there are a precious few posters who I'll still read and take seriously, but the majority strike me as simply so much noise (my ignore list keeps growing). And I don't try to teach much any more because I'm just one in the cacophony of "teachers". So I come here out of habit, and to try to glean some value in some things I read when I'm up in the middle of the night.
What has really rubbed me the wrong way in the last year is reporting and that, IMHO most things that are reported someone is disciplined for and I think that takes away to a certain degree our ability to say things.

It's dealing with personalities that I find most frustrating and when things are taken in the wrong or a negative context instead of asking someone for more clarification or questions.

Sometimes I think some use being offended as a weapon and want someone to hold their hand. And writing in general is a bad medium for communication in that way, so to me the entire idea of a forum is counterintuitive to communicating well in general.

Upvote 0