Are you going to watch the movie "Noah" with Russel Crowe?

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Please bear in mind this story has no bearing to the Bible only in inspiration only in a man named Noah builds a ship to prepare for great deluge.The film makers have said that the film can be interpreted as both the distant past or the distant future.

This is not a story out of the Bible. I might go see it or wait for it to hit DVD.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please bear in mind this story has no bearing to the Bible only in inspiration only in a man named Noah builds a ship to prepare for great deluge.The film makers have said that the film can be interpreted as both the distant past or the distant future.

This is not a story out of the Bible. I might go see it or wait for it to hit DVD.

So how far are you willing to take your tolerance of this blasphemy? Would you accept a similar story "reimagining" Christi's incarnation and ministry?

Sorry, but Christians should esteem the Word of God higher than this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So how far are you willing to take your tolerance of this blasphemy? Would you accept a similar story "reimagining" Christi's incarnation and ministry?

Sorry, but Christians should esteem the Word of God higher than this.

Aronofsky (director of Noah), already did that with The Wrestler. He also did a very artsy interpretation of Adam and Eve with Pi. Both films were incredible.

For those unaware, Aronofsky is also responsible for The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, and Black Swan.

Don't refuse to see it because your arent fanboyism won't let you see past creative liberties. See it for the incredible actors and director.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aronofsky (director of Noah), already did that with The Wrestler.

I don't recall the Wrestler being an allegory but, to be honest, I get that one confused with the Jeff bridges movie about the country singer.

But if true, then that's different. If true, then that's an allegory. Nothing wrong with an allegory. But what we're talking about here is completely re-writing a Biblical event to change its meaning.

Don't refuse to see it because you can't see past creative liberties. See it for the incredible actors and director.

Sorry, but I don't believe sacred things are appropriate subjects, particularly the Word of God, for "creative liberties".

I'm watching it, but more because I want to watch Russel Crowe yell. Further, if Biblical movies gain traction and support, it helps Christianity gain traction in the culture at large.

How is this a "Biblical movie"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm watching it, but more because I want to watch Russel Crowe yell. Further, if Biblical movies gain traction and support, it helps Christianity gain traction in the culture at large.

And the worst culprit for good Christian movies no longer hitting the big screen is in fact Christians.

Any movie even hitting at religious themes or inspiration not blessed by their all powerful ministers/cultural warriors/marketing, is condemned as an abomination.

Its the reason for the downfall of competently made big budget bible films like The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur have been replaced by the glowing turds that are Son of God or God's Not Dead.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it will hit the theaters in March 2014. Will you go watch it?
No. I was considering it (my brother and I like to hit the movies together once or twice a month), but after reading a number of reviews, I'm not remotely interested.

I didn't expect anything remotely scriptural - it is after all Hollywood; and I thought the special effects and general entertainment value might make it worth sitting through, but no.

One of the best reviews (or worst, depending on one's pov) was this one: Noah – The Emperor’s New Movie (The Utter Embarrassing Mess of ‘Noah’)
Here is a short list of some of the stupid story problems in Nooah: (Is it possible to spoil a rotten thing? Well, be warned anyway…)
- Some of the angels felt compassion for Adam and Eve. God was so petulant and wrathful that he turned those angels into rock people. Then, human beings killed most of the rock people somehow. So, the rock people hate humans. But they take a hankering to Noah for no reason and build the ark for him.
- Noah chides his son for ending the life of a teeny wildflower. And then he cuts down an entire forest to build his ark.
- We are told that the cities are centers of technology, but when we see the cities close up, they are just tents and unwashed people with really bad hair. You would think if they were so advanced they might have invented shampoo.
- It starts to rain, and five minutes later, Tubal Cain attacks the ark with an army of thousands and thousands. That’s a great general!
- The evil city people believe it is the apocalypse within seconds of the first drops of rain.
- Tubal-Cain hides on the ark -unknown to Noah – for nine months. He stays hidden despite the fact that he is eating the animals raw to keep up his strength. There went all the unicorns, I guess.
- The animals are lulled to deep sleep by a herbal smoke potion. But it has no effect on the humans.
- Noah spends nine months firmly entrenched in his plan to murder his grandchildren at their birth. He’s intractable and insane in his conviction that this is what God wants. But then, when he is about to stick the knife in the children, he just changes his mind. Unmotivated choice.
- Five minutes after they emerge onto the new land, Noah makes himself a winery and gets crazy drunk and naked. It’s not clear if he is angry at “The Creator” or angry at himself or just an introvert who suddenly has nothing to do. - ROCK PEOPLE. ROCK PEOPLE. ROCK PEOPLE.
So no, not going.

The anti-Christian messages and sentiment are only building in this increasingly decaying world of ours and the last thing I need is to be paying money to experience more of it.

Not going to rent it later. Not going to support it in any way.

Reactions: jannikitty
Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And the worst culprit for good Christian movies no longer hitting the big screen is in fact Christians.
Well, I would tend to agree with this. The list of poorly acted, poorly scripted, sickeningly smarmy "Christian" movies that has hit the screen in the last few decades is unfortunately so long it has definitely soured many people's expectations for something worthwhile in film.

The temptation to preach Christian mores & values in such movies seems to always overwhelm the common sense of just depicting them in a decent story, with decent characters, direction, plot, and script (ala as you noted, Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments).

Upvote 0