Hertfordshire
✟10,278.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Separated
Can you say that you are going to heaven? Who told you you are? Are you saved? Do you believe you are going to heaven? If God told you you are going to heaven then please tell me how this happened for you. Its usually a personal calling. I know when we are saved we automatically go to heaven. But sometimes we hear different voices from different sources. How do you know what you heard is from the Lord.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can you say that you are going to heaven? Who told you you are? Are you saved? Do you believe you are going to heaven? If God told you you are going to heaven then please tell me how this happened for you. Its usually a personal calling. I know when we are saved we automatically go to heaven. But sometimes we hear different voices from different sources. How do you know what you heard is from the Lord.

I do not know the answer to that question. I only know that I will be judged fairly.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which is why the written word is so important. If what we hear in our ear or in our heart is in conflict with what is written, then no matter how much we think we know it was God we heard... it wasn't God it was a god. The Creator will never contradict Himself and so we can KNOW because of what He says in His word.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
“I am still on a journey. I trust by God’s mercy that I am being saved.” - Metropolitan Kallistos

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A tough question, very few can answer. You're not alone in your thoughts.
Personally, I would think I am. But to know for sure, I would need some revelation.
Because Jesus says, some who casted out demons and did many wonderful works. Even they may not enter heaven.
Overtime you learn to accept that you may never know. Instead put your focus on doing what Jesus says. If you do so, then He won't leave you.
But make sure you leave nothing out. You do every single thing He says. You have faith, good. Now show your obedience to your faith.

"When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it."

If you trust Jesus, then you can trust what he says, when he explains who is saved and who isn't.

Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A tough question, very few can answer. You're not alone in your thoughts.
Personally, I would think I am. But to know for sure, I would need some revelation.
Because Jesus says, some who casted out demons and did many wonderful works. Even they may not enter heaven.
Overtime you learn to accept that you may never know. Instead put your focus on doing what Jesus says. If you do so, then He won't leave you.
But make sure you leave nothing out. You do every single thing He says. You have faith, good. Now show your obedience to your faith.

"When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it."

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am just as interested in "the fullness of life" here and now and that motivates me more than some future condition.
I hope that works well for you.

Being a Christian isn’t always easy.

Our main thing we get in heaven is to be with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is God's written word the bible that offers us salvation. It is not a voice, feeling or idea. We can be confident we have salvation because God's word declares "He who calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved". The bible declares "while we seek for God He will be found by us". God is super willing that we be saved. Sure he is serious, to a degree, for salvation is a serious matter. But he calls us away from sin as the bible declares along the lines of "the way of the righteous is like a road winding ever upwards, he moves away from sin and hell below".

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know what you heard is from the Lord.

Practically speaking, what God tells me to do is usually the opposite of what would be self-focused. For instance:

(1) when I was being verbally attacked and lied about by my x-wife, I cried out to God and asked if I could leave. I honestly didn't see who it was helping for me to stay. My kids were seeing and hearing her abuse and hear her threats, people were questioning if I was like those people who talk a good Christian talk but inside the home are abusive. She even told me she contemplated poisoning my food. She was that determined in trying to get me to leave. God said "no!" So, I didn't; but I certainly wanted to. She eventually did leave and filed for divorce. God told me to give her everything and take on the debt. Again, not what I would have wanted to do.

(2) when God told me to go to New York City and "be homeless for 10 days", it certainly isn't something I wanted to do. Even when I got off the train, I was sitting by a support in the station wondering what I just did!!!! And a police officer didn't let me sit there more than 5 minutes, before kicking me and telling me to get out of the underground station. And, as I was walking around the streets of NYC trying to find a warm place to cuddle up for the night, I was REALLY wondering what I got myself into. After all, I had a nice warm apartment back in Harrisburg, PA, that was paid for. I wasn't really homeless.

(3) As a houseparent (currently), I told people that I would absolutely never take my family over to our emergency boys cottage and if they assigned me here, we would leave. Well, God told me to propose something that I would have considered insane which included being on all the time (except for two weeks vacation a year with no change in pay--we had been working week-on-week-off). We gave up our off-time, we are on all the time, and we are managing the emergency cottage where the most troubled boys come. Who does that? Well, God has blessed it in so many ways. More than one historic first (meaning never been done here before) has happened since God moved us over here!

(4) When I was in pharmaceutical sales, I used to leave a company when I didn't feel that my job was "safe" and I would get a pay raise to move to each new job. Well, with my last employer, a big company, I was in one sales force and got recruited by another. My boss's boss tried to block it. The leader of the sales force whose manager was recruiting me went political and outmaneuvered him, making him look bad and she got me on her sales force. A few years later, the now demoted boss's boss was about to become my new manager in a consolidated sales force. In my old thinking, I would have bolted. I certainly didn't feel safe. But, God had woken me up while I was on the other sales force. And, God told me "stay". So, I did. And, God rewarded me with my only "#1 sales rep in the country" award of my 13 years in pharmaceutical sales.

Can you say that you are going to heaven?

On our side of the Christian theology, we believe we are going to heaven, if we are living in and through a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, because the "Holy Spirit confirms to our spirit that we are children of God" (Romans 8:16) and "sealed with the Holy Spirit" (Eph 1:13-14) therefore "absent from the body, present with the Lord (2 Cor 5:8), rather than because God tells us "congratulations, you are going to heaven!"

I think the more amazing promise is that we get to know The Father, and the One He sent (Jesus Christ), according to John 17:3 and that some day we will know as fully as we are known. (1 Cor 13:12)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I am saved - have been since I was eight years old.

Yes, I can say that I am going to heaven. The Bible tells me so.

I have never had a "whisper from God," or some such thing, telling me I am going to heaven. I don't need such a thing. God's promises to me in His word are quite sufficient.

I suspect that a lot of what is said to be from God is no such thing. Much of what people claim is God's voice is, I believe, actually just their own inner self-talk or a devilish counterfeit. When I press those who claim to hear God speaking to them in their head to justify how they can be certain it is, they end up ultimately resorting to, "I just know." Well, I wouldn't accept that justification for, say, a Hindu's claim that Vishnu exists, or the atheist's claim that there is no God, and I won't accept it from a Christian who wants to use it justify their claim that God is speaking to them in their head, either.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Psalms 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I am saved - have been since I was eight years old.

Yes, I can say that I am going to heaven. The Bible tells me so.

I have never had a "whisper from God," or some such thing, telling me I am going to heaven. I don't need such a thing. God's promises to me in His word are quite sufficient.

I suspect that a lot of what is said to be from God is no such thing. Much of what people claim is God's voice is, I believe, actually just their own inner self-talk or a devilish counterfeit. When I press those who claim to hear God speaking to them in their head to justify how they can be certain it is, they end up ultimately resorting to, "I just know." Well, I wouldn't accept that justification for, say, a Hindu's claim that Vishnu exists, or the atheist's claim that there is no God, and I won't accept it from a Christian who wants to use it justify their claim that God is speaking to them in their head, either.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Psalms 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

I certainly value Scripture and within Scripture there are examples of people--even David who is responsible for many of the Psalms that Jesus said were about Him and Paul who wrote to Timothy what we consider inspired Scripture--hearing God's voice and it wasn't just limited to Scripture writers.
So, if you believe people don't really hear from God, how does your theology deal with Jesus' matter-of-fact statement that His sheep hear His voice and His sheep recognize a stranger's voice and won't follow it (John 10:4-5,27)?

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Patchygirl1964

Nov 4, 2018
Hertfordshire
✟10,278.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Separated
I certainly value Scripture and within Scripture there are examples of people--even David who is responsible for many of the Psalms that Jesus said were about Him and Paul who wrote to Timothy what we consider inspired Scripture--hearing God's voice and it wasn't just limited to Scripture writers.
So, if you believe people don't really hear from God, how does your theology deal with Jesus' matter-of-fact statement that His sheep hear His voice and His sheep recognize a stranger's voice and won't follow it (John 10:4-5,27)?
I do believe people hear from God, but it's the people saying "I think God is saying etc" That's what gives me doubt about them that "think" they have heard from God. I have been going to the same church on and off for quite a few years and some people are known to be people who hear from God all the time and are prophetic. Whenever I am having doubt about something (usually to do with people) I am directed to the people with special gifts. They pray with you and then they see this vision, like a lions face then they tell me to watch out for danger ahead and to be careful. (sounds like a horoscope reading to me) This is what I can't get my head around. There are so many people that I know that think they are so special that others start to give them power in the church. I do most of my talking with God in secret.
“When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for
they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the
corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most
certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. Matthew 6:5

• Agree
Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:16 - The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.

1 John 5:11 - And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. :oldthumbsup:

We must not confuse "working out" our salvation (Philippians 2:12 - which pertains to ongoing sanctification and not justification - Romans 5:1) with "working for" our salvation (Ephesians 2:8,9).

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Do you know exactly how the word of God was inspired? Did King David or Paul hear a voice in their head, dictating to them exactly what they should write? Or did God just very subtly order their thoughts so that as they wrote they had no conscious sense that God was guiding them? I don't see the former described anywhere in Scripture.

I think the phrase "hearing God's voice" has become very murky in its meaning. For some, it means a strong impulse; for others, it refers to a distinct thought that passes through the mind; for others, it describes a calling to mind of Scripture; and, for some, it means an actual divine voice speaking in their head (ie. "Bob, this is the Holy Spirit speaking. Do thus-and-so right now.") When I look into Scripture, I find neither teaching nor example of this last sort of thing. Instead, when God wanted to communicate, He used angels, or a huge hand writing on a wall, or an actual audible voice, or a burning bush, or even a talking donkey. He didn't use vague, easily misinterpreted "signs" or "inner voice" to express His will.

Well, now, you need to read what I wrote more carefully. I never said "I don't believe people really hear from God." People in Scripture heard from God through a variety of means and they still hear from Him today - primarily (but not exclusively) through His word, the Bible. I believe God brings His word to a person's mind; He may prompt a person to recall a spiritual principle or truth that guides them; He may convict them or give them comfort; He may even do as He did in Scripture and audibly communicate to a person. I've heard of God using dreams, too, where the dreamer is told directly to seek out Jesus. Though all of these forms of divine communication are possible, it is not necessary - or advisable - to make one's walk with God dependent upon them. God's word really is sufficient to communicate His will to us. And when we are hearing from God in His word, we don't have to fear we are merely hearing our own self-talk, or some demonic counterfeit.

As for John 10:4-5 and John 10:27, the verses never stipulate that the voice of the Good Shepherd is one that his sheep hear in their heads. That is something far too many Christians read into the verses. It seems far more likely that Jesus is referring to Scripture in which his "voice" is recorded unambiguously and copiously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do believe people hear from God, but it's the people saying "I think God is saying etc" That's what gives me doubt about them that "think" they have heard from God. I have been going to the same church on and off for quite a few years and some people are known to be people who hear from God all the time and are prophetic. Whenever I am having doubt about something (usually to do with people) I am directed to the people with special gifts. They pray with you and then they see this vision, like a lions face then they tell me to watch out for danger ahead and to be careful. (sounds like a horoscope reading to me) This is what I can't get my head around. There are so many people that I know that think they are so special that others start to give them power in the church. I do most of my talking with God in secret.

I will tell you, I do believe in the prophetic. However, I will also tell you that I also believe that many people who claim to be prophetic aren't. They want to be (because it makes them feel special--wrong reason) and because others trained them into thinking they were (which isn't true). I think if false prophets could get stoned today, far less people would be claiming the gift. Even those who have the gift can have personal issues affect their interpretation of what they get. Always take it back to God for confirmation before you accept it. But, I would be more concerned about someone who says "thus says the Lord" than one who says "I think I hear God saying...." People with false confidence will also tell you "thus says the Lord" without concern for the possibility they are misinterpreting what they are hearing, because they aren't invested in those they are praying for.

I actually prefer when someone shares what they see and what they think it means and lets me take it back to God for an interpretation. I was warned about a layoff a month before it happened by a prophetic word; but I've also been in line where I heard a guy declare he saw something about me and then prayed over someone else 5 people behind me the same thing! Obviously, once I heard that, what was spoken over me lost its value! Any prophetic word we hear through someone else, God will confirm or not confirm, if we take it back to Him. I don't bank on things others say, if God doesn't confirm it to me directly. He wants a relationship with us, too. Not just the prophetic person.

I do most of my talking with God in secret.

Me, too.

“When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the
corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most
certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. Matthew 6:5

I agree with Scripture; but I believe this is more about motives than where it is done. For instance, I pray for the sick. I was always an introvert. I don't want to approach people and don't want to be seen (in my natural flesh). But, God.... So, it would be easy for me to justify never raising my hands in worship. But, God actually rewards me for raising my hands. I can feel His touch when I step out of my comfort zone and lift my hands in worship to Him. And, it would be easy for me to just greet people in passing to be pleasant and tell them to have a blessed day or "God bless you!" But, to offer to pray for their healing in a grocery store takes much more energy than just quietly praying for them later--when I have even had people SCOLD ME for offering to pray for them and had at least as many not get healed instantaneously as get healed instantaneously. But, how is God glorified if I don't step out and give Him an opportunity to touch someone right there. I can not possibly tell you how many people I have seen get "surprised" when they realized that God touched them and they had a part of their ability to function restored right there. Aren't we supposed to be here for God's glory? Today, there are so few who step out. Many go through the motions in church. I know there are hypocrites who stand and pray so they can be seen but I am sure there are genuine believers in there, too, who are just interested in seeing God move in the lives of others.

Upvote 0