Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have asked these questions of the Catholics and Protestants and I'd like to know how my Orthodox bretheren would answer.

Do you think you are going to Heaven? (If yes, no or don't know, please explain why)

Do you consider yourself saved? (If yes, no or don't know, please explain why)

Do you consider these 2 question ask the same thing?

Thanks,

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can only answer for myself, that I am on the road, and that I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling. My bishop said once that he is amazed to hear people pray for Christ's return, because he, lowly sinner that he is, constantly needs to repent and try to move closer to God.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Cary.Melvin said:
I have asked these questions of the Catholics and Protestants and I'd like to know how my Orthodox bretheren would answer.

Do you think you are going to Heaven? (If yes, no or don't know, please explain why)

Do you consider yourself saved? (If yes, no or don't know, please explain why)

Do you consider these 2 question ask the same thing?

Thanks,
Right now I tremble at the thought of meeting the Lord. I haven't truly repented I don't think. Surely if I found myself face to face with Him, my conscience would condemn me in the worst way.

We are all saved from returning to nothingness. All people, by His resurrection, will have eternal being.

More and more I wonder at what people view salvation as. Because the more I study Orthodox theology and the writings of the saints, the more I take on the belief that there are varying degrees of blessedness, according to the state of our hearts. I dare not think that I would have an equal place in His Kingdom as such holy Saints as, the Holy Martyr Photini, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Symeon the New Theologian, or St. Stephen the Protomartyr and thousands upon thousands of others.

I think the question can mean the same thing...depending on who you talk to. To me it doesn't mean the same thing necessarily. I don't look at salvation so much as deliverance from hell, but as deliverance from non-existence, which is where the human race was heading.
"each one's work will become clear, for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. If anyone's work which he has built in it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss, be he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." (1 Cor 3:13-15) St. John Chrysostom writes "for the sinner is saved as through fire." That is to say, he will remain tormented in fire.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whether I'm saved or not is not my decision to make. It is God's decision and He will announce it on Judgment Day. Until then, who knows? Also, how can you know in this present life? It's the person who sticks with it until the end who will be saved. It's a race and you have to stay on the racetrack until you cross the finish line.

I also face it with fear and trembling. I have a feeling that I don't even begin to understand what real repentence is--at least, not how God defines it anyway. I believe God knows if I'm repenting as much as I'm capable of right now and honors that when I do it. However, I pray that I will learn what true repentence is as I get further on the journey and that by His grace, I will grow in that area. I keep thinking of the story of one holy person who was considered a very holy person and on his deathbed, though he was surrounded by a Holy Light and angels, his last words were to pray for him because he hadn't begun to repent. If a very holy person can say something like that, what about a great sinner like me?

Personally, I think it is very dangerous to think that you are going to heaven, because it can make you very complacent. Becoming like Christ is a very tough road--if you already have it made, why put yourself through all of that pain? The scriptures say that to follow Christ is a long, hard road and that not many people will be able to do it. This idea of making a one-time decision and then having it made doesn't really agree with what much of scripture says. Christ said many times that the one who loves God is the one that does the Will of God or keeps the Commandments.

The fact of the matter is, nobody can know for sure that they are saved or that anyone else is saved. Only God knows and He will announce it at the Last Judgment.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Once a Protestant asked a prominant Orthodox clergyman, "Are you saved?"

The Orthodox clergyman responded:

"I have been saved; I am in the process of being saved; and I will be saved."

I think that sums it up for most of us.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Carly over in OBOB posted:

Carly said:
When a Protestant asks, "Are you saved?" the Catholic should reply: "As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

That should settle all questions! With Bible quotes to boot! Thanks Carly!

Yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anastasia

Orthodox Christian
Oct 20, 2003
Mid-Atlantic USA
Visit site
✟230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
chanter said:
Once a Protestant asked a prominant Orthodox clergyman, "Are you saved?"

The Orthodox clergyman responded: