Are you bound by the Mosaic Laws or Rabbinic Judaism?

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you bound by the Mosaic Laws or Rabbinic Judaism? Are the Mosaic Laws and the New Covenant irreconcilable with each other? Are people looking for a Jewish identity in the New Covenant with Yahshua the Messiah?

What is Messianic Judaism all about?

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you bound by the Mosaic Laws or Rabbinic Judaism? Are the Mosaic Laws and the New Covenant irreconcilable with each other? Are people looking for a Jewish identity in the New Covenant with Yahshua the Messiah?
The "Mosaic Laws" are YHWH's Laws given through Moses. Since we must obey the two greatest commandments of the "Mosaic Law", then what other laws given through Moses do we need to obey? What about the "Ten Commandments/Ten Words"? The New Covenant Scriptures certainly teach we are to obey nine of those ten. I believe they teach us to obey all Ten. What about a lesser command through Moses such as not moving our neighbors boundary marker? Are we free to do that under the New Covenant? If not, then it would behoove us to know exactly what commands given through Moses we are to obey. One cannot simply say the entire Mosaic Law is abolished, but then continue to keep many of those laws.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The "Mosaic Laws" are YHWH's Laws given through Moses. Since we must obey the two greatest commandments of the "Mosaic Law", then what other laws given through Moses do we need to obey? What about the "Ten Commandments/Ten Words"? The New Covenant Scriptures certainly teach we are to obey nine of those ten. I believe they teach us to obey all Ten. What about a lesser command through Moses such as not moving our neighbors boundary marker? Are we free to do that under the New Covenant? If not, then it would behoove us to know exactly what commands given through Moses we are to obey. One cannot simply say the entire Mosaic Law is abolished, but then continue to keep many of those laws.
Are the Mosaic laws that govern the sacrifices and Festivals separate from God's commandments?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that sacrifices and the Festivals remain as part of the New Covenant?
No. The Festivals definitely remain, especially those that have not been fulfilled. A shadow cannot be fulfilled until the reality comes. The sacrifices/offerings have been fulfilled by Yeshua.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. The Festivals definitely remain, especially those that have not been fulfilled. A shadow cannot be fulfilled until the reality comes. The sacrifices/offerings have been fulfilled by Yeshua.

I was reading this, written by a Rabbi many years ago.

In the future all sacrifices, with the exception of the Thanksgiving-sacrifice, will be discontinued.
(Midrash Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

And that all sacrifices will be annulled in the future.
(Tanchuma Emor 19, Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was reading this, written by a Rabbi many years ago.

In the future all sacrifices, with the exception of the Thanksgiving-sacrifice, will be discontinued.
(Midrash Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

And that all sacrifices will be annulled in the future.
(Tanchuma Emor 19, Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

Thoughts?
I can't comment without seeing the context or reasoning behind those statements.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What made ancient Rabbi's think sacrifices and Festivals would be done away with?
Do you know when those statements were made? I highly doubt they were thinking they would be done away with when Yeshua died. They certainly knew about Zechariah 14 and how the Feast of Tabernacles would be kept long into the future.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I will not address your question directly, but rather, I recall a set of papers given to me years ago by a devout Christian. She got the papers from another Christian, possibly a doctor or nurse. Anyway, the thrust of the papers was that Christians should follow the Old Testament dietary laws, not for religious reasons, but because it would improve one's health and well being. Apparently all or most of the Old Testament admonitions on which foods to eat really do make sense from a medical point of view.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will not address your question directly, but rather, I recall a set of papers given to me years ago by a devout Christian. She got the papers from another Christian, possibly a doctor or nurse. Anyway, the thrust of the papers was that Christians should follow the Old Testament dietary laws, not for religious reasons, but because it would improve one's health and well being. Apparently all or most of the Old Testament admonitions on which foods to eat really do make sense from a medical point of view.
The dietary laws certainly do improve one's health, but they also keep one from being defiled by eating what our Creator considers abominations.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1st hand....Moral Law.. God wrote with His own finger
2nd hand...Mosaic Laws .. written by Moses
3rd hand....Oral Torah... written by sages
This kind of separation leads one to believe the Mosaic Laws are not moral laws, but they most certainly are. For example, moving our neighbor's boundary marker is totally immoral.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟571,302.44
Faith
Messianic
This kind of separation leads one to believe the Mosaic Laws are not moral laws, but they most certainly are. For example, moving our neighbor's boundary marker is totally immoral.
Defining morality in the details of life is found in both the mosaic and oral torah.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟123,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Defining morality in the details of life is found in both the mosaic and oral torah.
Correct, which is why the Ten Commandments should not be identified as the "Moral Law" apart from the other laws. The Ten Commandments are moral laws found in the Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟571,302.44
Faith
Messianic
Correct, which is why the Ten Commandments should not be identified as the "Moral Law" apart from the other laws. The Ten Commandments are moral laws found in the Mosaic Law.
I was not separating them from the moral law.. I was identifying them in relationship to the moral law upon which all other laws hang.
Matthew 22:40
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you know when those statements were made? I highly doubt they were thinking they would be done away with when Yeshua died. They certainly knew about Zechariah 14 and how the Feast of Tabernacles would be kept long into the future.
I am not sure yet, but Zech 14 may be a late addition to Zechariah. The last parts of Isaiah and Jeremiah may also be late additions. Needs more research. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Septuagint suggest that they are.

Upvote 0