• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Are you bound by the Mosaic Laws or Rabbinic Judaism?

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by CherubRam, Dec 23, 2017.

1. CherubRam

CherubRam Well-Known Member

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    Are you bound by the Mosaic Laws or Rabbinic Judaism? Are the Mosaic Laws and the New Covenant irreconcilable with each other? Are people looking for a Jewish identity in the New Covenant with Yahshua the Messiah?

What is Messianic Judaism all about?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. gadar perets

gadar perets Messianic Hebrew

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    The "Mosaic Laws" are YHWH's Laws given through Moses. Since we must obey the two greatest commandments of the "Mosaic Law", then what other laws given through Moses do we need to obey? What about the "Ten Commandments/Ten Words"? The New Covenant Scriptures certainly teach we are to obey nine of those ten. I believe they teach us to obey all Ten. What about a lesser command through Moses such as not moving our neighbors boundary marker? Are we free to do that under the New Covenant? If not, then it would behoove us to know exactly what commands given through Moses we are to obey. One cannot simply say the entire Mosaic Law is abolished, but then continue to keep many of those laws.

3. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    Are the Mosaic laws that govern the sacrifices and Festivals separate from God's commandments?

4. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    No. They were all commanded by YHWH.

5. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    Are you saying that sacrifices and the Festivals remain as part of the New Covenant?

6. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    No. The Festivals definitely remain, especially those that have not been fulfilled. A shadow cannot be fulfilled until the reality comes. The sacrifices/offerings have been fulfilled by Yeshua.

7. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    I was reading this, written by a Rabbi many years ago.

In the future all sacrifices, with the exception of the Thanksgiving-sacrifice, will be discontinued.
    (Midrash Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

And that all sacrifices will be annulled in the future.
    (Tanchuma Emor 19, Vayikra Rabbah 9:7)

Thoughts?

8. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    There is no accepted authoritative answer within Judaism as to which mitzvot, if any, would be annulled.

9. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    Most mitzvot will no longer be in force.
    (Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Niddah 61b and Tractate Shabbat 151b)

10. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    What made ancient Rabbi's think sacrifices and Festivals would be done away with?

11. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    I can't comment without seeing the context or reasoning behind those statements.

12. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    Do you know when those statements were made? I highly doubt they were thinking they would be done away with when Yeshua died. They certainly knew about Zechariah 14 and how the Feast of Tabernacles would be kept long into the future.

13. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,145
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I will not address your question directly, but rather, I recall a set of papers given to me years ago by a devout Christian. She got the papers from another Christian, possibly a doctor or nurse. Anyway, the thrust of the papers was that Christians should follow the Old Testament dietary laws, not for religious reasons, but because it would improve one's health and well being. Apparently all or most of the Old Testament admonitions on which foods to eat really do make sense from a medical point of view.

14. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,139
    Messianic
    1st hand....Moral Law.. God wrote with His own finger
    2nd hand...Mosaic Laws .. written by Moses
    3rd hand....Oral Torah... written by sages

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    The dietary laws certainly do improve one's health, but they also keep one from being defiled by eating what our Creator considers abominations.

16. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    This kind of separation leads one to believe the Mosaic Laws are not moral laws, but they most certainly are. For example, moving our neighbor's boundary marker is totally immoral.

17. visionary

+6,139
    Messianic
    Defining morality in the details of life is found in both the mosaic and oral torah.

18. gadar perets

+1,021
    United States
    Unitarian
    Single
    US-Others
    Correct, which is why the Ten Commandments should not be identified as the "Moral Law" apart from the other laws. The Ten Commandments are moral laws found in the Mosaic Law.

19. visionary

+6,139
    Messianic
    I was not separating them from the moral law.. I was identifying them in relationship to the moral law upon which all other laws hang.
    Matthew 22:40
    On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

20. CherubRam

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    I am not sure yet, but Zech 14 may be a late addition to Zechariah. The last parts of Isaiah and Jeremiah may also be late additions. Needs more research. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Septuagint suggest that they are.