Are You Born Again? – Nine Signs of Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
Are You Born Again? – Nine Signs of Conversion

The power of Christ alone can work the transformation in heart and mind that all must experience who would partake with Him of the new life in the kingdom of heaven. "Except a man be born again," the Saviour has said, "he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3. The religion that comes from God is the only religion that can lead to God. In order to serve Him aright, we must be born of the Divine Spirit. This will lead to watchfulness. It will purify the heart and renew the mind, and give us a new capacity for knowing and loving God. It will give us willing obedience to all His requirements. This is true worship.

1. A sense of freedom -- peace in the soul.
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" Romans 5:1.

When a person is at peace with God and his fellowman he cannot be made miserable. He will not display any of the works of the flesh: "Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings." Galatians 5:19-21. But will display the fruits of the spirit: Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: Galatians 5:22-23.

2. An experience of love for others.
"We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death." 1 John 3:14.

When the heart is renewed by divine grace, love is the ruling principle of action. It will modify the character, govern the impulses, control the passions and ennoble the affections. This love cherished in the soul will sweeten the life and shed a refining influence on all around. The unconsecrated heart cannot originate it or produce it. It is found only in the heart where Jesus reigns. 'We love Him, because He first loved us.'

3. A turning of mind and heart from the world.
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." 1 John 2:15.

A converted person will have a change of feelings, motives and actions. It is a taking leave of worldly connections. A separation from their controlling power, influences, opinions and unholy atmosphere.

4. Victory where before was defeat.
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy," Jude 1:24.

In His name and in His merits, bad habits and practices may be overcome. It is impossible for man to overcome without God's strength, yet man is expected to exercise all the powers that God has given him so that he can be an overcomer. Divine power, combined with human effort, so that through Jesus Christ, man may stand a conqueror.

5. A frequent, instinctive desire to pray.
"As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God..." Psalms 42:1,2.

6. An interest in and turning to God's Word.
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart..." Jeremiah 15:16.

The born again person, will enjoy reading the Word of God. It may have been dull and uninteresting before his conversion, but now is his best friend. It is his standard for living. He grasps its promises and they strengthen his soul. It is truly his life line.

7. A growing sensitivity to sin.
The closer we come to Jesus, the more closely we will see the purity of His character. Also, the closer we come to Him, the more we will see the terrible sinfulness of sin. The born again person will have new thoughts, feelings and motives. The mind will be changed and the conscience awakened.

8. An attitude of willing obedience to God.
"I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." Psalms 40:8.

When we truly love God, our love to Him will be manifested by our obedience. It will be plain and distinct between those who love God and keep His commandments, and those who do not love Him and disregard His laws and precepts.

9. An impulse to witness to others.
"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me..." Acts 1:8.

When we are Christians, witnessing to others will be our delight. As soon as one is converted, there is born within him a desire to share and make known to others what a precious Friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be kept silent, he will have to tell others what Jesus has done for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.