Are you an Evangelical?

Are you an Evangelical according to my definition?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
huh..what else is left? Isn't that everyone who's supposed to be in here?
Well, there are probably some who would consider themselves to be conservative but not evangelical. Evangelical basically means that you have a zeal for evangelism and witnessing to people.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Evangelical basically means that you have a zeal for evangelism and witnessing to people.
Given that definition, I had to vote no, even though I'm in a denomination (Assembly of God) generally considered Evangelical. Witnessing to people is not especially my thing, at least not unless they express an interest in hearing it. I don't want to turn people off to Christianity by pushing it on them before they're ready. But preaching the gospel without using words is my best witness.

"Preach the Gospel always, and when necessary use words" -- St. Francis of Assisi

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I need to learn to read before I vote. :doh:

Yes, I guess I would be considered evangelical according to your definition.
Can you, as an Admin, change your vote? :confused:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
huh..what else is left? Isn't that everyone who's supposed to be in here?
Actually it seems as though I accidentally left out the Anglicans/Episcopalians. Not all of them consider themselves to be Protestant.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Are you an Evangelical? Keep in mind that my definition of an Evangelical can include Catholics, Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Protestants.

In Europe the term "Evangelical" is used to mean "Protestant" :)

Question: "What is Evangelicalism?"

Answer:
Evangelicalism is a somewhat broad term used to describe a movement within Protestantism that is characterized by an emphasis on having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This relationship begins when a person receives Christ's forgiveness and is spiritually reborn. Those who ascribe to this belief are called Evangelicals.

The word itself is derived from the Greek words (euangelion), which means "good news," and (euangelizomai), which means "to proclaim as good news." This good news is that "...Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve" (1 Corinthians 15:3b-5). This good news, which is the Gospel of Christ, and the preaching of it, is what Evangelicalism was based upon.

The roots of Evangelicalism go back to the Protestant Reformation, during which time the Bible was brought back to the masses. Formerly neglected biblical truths were rediscovered and taught. It wasn't until the great revivals of the 18th and 19th centuries in Europe and America, though, that Evangelicalism truly began as a movement. As happened during the Reformation, the Evangelicalism movement and its focus on having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ brought a renewed vigor in accurately interpreting and applying God's Word. This has carried through to this day, though the term has come to be misused and mis-applied.

Traditionally, Evangelicalism has been theologically conservative. This has become less and less distinctive, however. Its current use is no longer limited to actual born-again Christians, nor to those considered to be conservatives or fundamentalists. In fact, some simply equate Evangelicalism with Protestantism itself, liberal or otherwise. Sadly, Evangelicalism is now most often equated with conservative politics. While an Evangelical Christian worldview will result in conservative political views, politics is definitely not the focus of true Evangelicalism.

So, the definition of Evangelicalism varies in the eyes of the world. The true heart of Evangelicalism, though, is in proclaiming the Gospel message in both word and deed. To an Evangelical Christian, there is no higher calling than to live out and share this message and the truth of God's love.

http://www.gotquestions.org/evangelicalism.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Evangelical" means "gospel", or "commitment to the gospel". To be an evangelical is to be a Christian that affirms as normative and efficacious for salvation the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus the Christ. Such a broad usage covers faithful Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and even Liberal Christians, as well as Conservative Protestants.

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A narrower definition would include that subset of Protestantism (and increasingly, of Catholicism as well) that accepts the Bible and therefore the Spirit that produced it as the final authority in religion (sola scriptura). The death of Christ is almost always understood in terms of sacrifice, and his bodily resurrection as an historical fact, verifying the success of his divine work. Salvation is by grace through faith alone (sola fide); good works do not usually factor into the soteriological equation, and when they do they are seen as fruits of an already secured salvation. Such emphases are seen as a direct continuity of Reformation (and Biblical) teaching.

Traditions widely accepted as evangelical in this sense might include traditional Reformed, Presbyterian and Lutheran confessions, Baptists, Wesleyan and Holiness denominations such as Methodists, Salvationists and Nazarenes, mildly sectarian groups such as the so-called "Plymouth" Brethren, charismatic and pentecostal churches, conservative Anglicans, and some Mennonites, Moravians and Quakers.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Roight. By AV's and Mick's definitions (which are the commonly understood ones), I am an Evangelical. It's only by PeaceLover's idiosyncratic definition that I'm not. :D
Ummm sorry. I meant for the definition to be as broad as possible.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Ummm sorry. I meant for the definition to be as broad as possible.
Not a problem, P.L. :hug:

It's perfectly fine to have your own definitions for terms so long as you define them so we know what you mean, and you did that very clearly. It's not as though I'm attached to the Evangelical label and my feelings could be hurt if someone doesn't think I am one. About the only label I care about is follower of Christ. If someone says I'm not one, that would annoy me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only problem I see is with the use of the word "zeal." If anyone feels personally inept or uncomfortable with zealously spreading the Gospel...but supports this activity on the part of his church or, let's say, that it be done by someone who doesn't have such reluctance....

...then he's as much an Evangelical as the next person IMO.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a zeal for telling people about what God has done in my life, but I don't seek people out. I wait for God to open the door. All I have to do is be willing to walk through it.

Let me tell y'all a little story.

Being Baptist, there is a very strong emphasis on witnessing. We do alot of what is called street preaching as well. When I first became a Christian three years ago (another story), wanting to do my part, I would go with the youth group to festivals and fairs and hand out tracts, that kind of thing. I enjoyed it alot. I kept tracts in my car and initially thought that I should hand these tracts out at every opportunity. So, for a few days, I would go to fast food resturants on my lunch hour and put tracts on the windshields of cars. I was very nervous and anxious about it and I would pray and pray to be bold about it. Well, the fear and anxiety got worse and worse, so one day, I was sitting in my car, and I just could not get out of it. I prayed about it and said something to the effect of "Lord if you want me to do this, you have to help me!" Well, I looked up after I opened my eyes, and the car next to me had smoke coming out of its engine. I got out, walked over, knocked on the glass. The smoke turned out to be steam. (I'm a girl. How am I supposed to know the difference!) Anyway, I helped the lady and offered her a ride back to her job. She turned me down but thanked me profusely. We chatted a bit and finally I asked her if I could give her something. I reached in my car and handed her a tract. She smiled, was not offended in the least, waved goodbye to me as I went back to work.

The lesson I learned that day is God will open the door. If God is in it, there is no fear or anxiety. He does provide the boldness although rather than bold, it just feels like the most natural thing in the world. I have not been street preaching since with anyone or on my own. I am not knocking it or anything like that. I am just saying that this is my rule for witnessing and it has never failed me. God always opens up the conversation to tell others about Him, and He makes it as natural as breathing.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Answer: Evangelicalism is a somewhat broad term used to describe a movement within Protestantism that is characterized by an emphasis on having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This relationship begins when a person receives Christ's forgiveness and is spiritually reborn. Those who ascribe to this belief are called Evangelicals.

I have a personal relationship with Christ why is the word Evangelical only meant for Protestants????? Especially when I fit the description of one?????

Upvote 0