• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Are you ADHD?

When were you or your child diagnosed with ADHD?

• Recently diagnosed

• 1 to 5 years ago

• 6 to 10 years ago

• 11 to - 15 years ago

• 16 - 20 years ago

• Can't remember

• None of the above...I'm just here for information

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, unfortunately. I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. I used to have the hyperactivity worse when I was younger. Now it's mostly not being able to pay attention for more than a few minutes at a time. Sometimes I can't pay attention for 30 seconds. I either get distracted and look at something else that caught my attention or I just lose focus on whatever I was doing. I've got it pretty bad unfortunately. :sigh: The really bad part is that I can't hold down a job because of it. I can never remember the instructions and stuff until I've been told at least 4 or 5 times for some stuff. I'm trying to get on Medicaid though so I can be medicated for both it and depression. Please pray that I'll get on Medicaid. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was "diagnosed"when I was in the 6th grade. Was put on the darn Rittalin through out high school, and I still battle with it majorly at times in my adult years.

The only good thing that has come out of it so far is that I can relate to the youth in our youth group much better than most because my mind is still that of a kid!!

it can be real hard to go through life bieng looked down on as being "stupid" or "slow" by others.. When it really has to do with not being able to express your thoughts like you would want to. Not being able to articulate them with the right words.

I WANT TO WARN PARENTS OF ADD/ADHD KIDS.....PLEASE WATCH OUT, I BECAME SELF ABUSIVE BECAUSE OF THIS "ILLNESS" PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR YOUNG CHILDERN. IT WILL SCAR AND HAUNT THEM FOR LIFE.

please I beg of you. Love your children, show them, dont just tell them. you do not know what it can mean to a young person to know that they are loved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ascribe2thelord

Punk Rock Christian
Oct 25, 2004
Columbia, SC
Visit site
✟8,913.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I hate the stigma associated with ADD... incompetance. My mother does her best to reinforce that stigma on me so that I always conform to her low expectations, or so it seems. Maybe I'm wrong.

But another thing about ADD... it causes a lack of good judgment sometimes. I notice this a lot during chess matches. I tend to lose more often than I win because I always make some stupid move. Similarly... last semester there was a girl who confessed to having a wild crush on me. I wanted to save her from embarassment and I wanted not to hurt her feelings because she seemed to vulnerable ... so I basically closed the door to a study room in my dorm. Here... I did not think about the possible consequences of my actions. I only thought to help her. Within thirty minutes, we were making out. I'm still dealing with the consequences of that mistake!

She still lives in my building, and since then... it's gone way too far... I mean we stopped just short of penetration. I wanted to keep her and me virgins, basically. I think to myself: I am so stupid.

ADD seems to have wrecked my life dealing with Christian girls because I never seem to say the right thing at the right time. I can always thing of the wrong thing to say. I can always think of some stupid thing to do to turn them off. And I can always make myself look like a fool. And when I told the one girl I wanted to marry (and thought it might be God's will for me to marry) that I took medicine for ADD... it seemed that her attitude toward me changed, she stopped liking me. Or maybe she never liked me at all? Was she just looking for a reason not to pay as much attention to me? Should I have invited her over to America (she's German) in the first place?

I just want to get over this. Will somone pray that I'll find my mate soon enough so that I don't have to deal with any more sexual immorality?

Upvote 0

jaimegerise

Sep 28, 2004
✟879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was diagnosed with Inattentive ADD a little over 2 years ago (when I was 26) In the past I have also been diagnosed with depression/anxiety, OCD, and BPD (borderline personality disorder). I took Concerta and Lexapro for almost 2 years.

I have been set free (for the most part) of all my comorbidities...and no longer need medication. And over the past year, I have learned to deal with my ADD better than I was able to before I was on meds.

Upvote 0

unique4God

Jul 10, 2004
AL
✟15,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was diagnosed in college when I was struggling with coursework, along with depression (about 7 years ago). I've only recently started taking medication out of shear frustration of the day to day struggles with the symptoms. Ascribetothelord you are definately not alone. It seems to be helping a little. Do any of you feel that the ADD affects your walk with God? Wanting to develop a deeper relationship through prayer or reading his word but unable to be consistent for any length of time? I even seem to go back & forth when I'm believing God for something, not believing in his faithfulness when I know better. Or is it just me making excuses...

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know that it effects mine in the sence that I have a very hard time consentrating on pray-er messages, sermons reading. My mind just starts to wanter too easily because of it.

Peace and Joy in the Lord Always

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.