Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, well, that's the problem when you girls look at us boys w/o your rose-colored glasses on, at least many of us anyway :rolleyes: My wife is still wearing hers ^_^
That is good! May she never take them off. If she ever breaks them, make sure you buy her a new pair.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, that makes sense. I just wondered what it says about modern men if women would rather marry a rock? Lol. I'm not sure if it is a commentary on the state of modern men, modern women, or both.
What do couples mean when they say he/she is my "rock"...

Don't they mean solid, steady, consistent, stable... Someone that makes a good "shoulder" so to speak...?

But, what do women whose men they say are their "rocks", how do they mean that... I think they mean, not just literally like a rock, but that they always listen and give you their full attention, and while they may not cry or feel it with you much (do you females expect that?, I hope not)...

Anyhow while they may not cry or feel it with you much, they will be good console and comfort, by maybe just saying only a few words every now and then, like, "I'm sorry honey/dear..." or whatever may be called for in the way of consolation and comfort, but not much on commentary or advice...

Are you really wanting commentary and advice?, or just someone to talk to and express your feelings to?, regardless of whether they feel it with you or not, and regardless of them offering very much advice, or knowing what to "do" or sometimes say about it...? Or, asking, or wanting them to take and pick a side, and, if they do not, or do not side with you getting upset... (which I call picking a fight, but...?)

Anyhow,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What do couples mean when they say he/she is my "rock"...

Don't they mean solid, steady, consistent, stable... Someone that makes a good "shoulder" so to speak...?

But, what do women whose men they say are their "rocks", how do they mean that... I think they mean, not just literally like a rock, but that they always listen and give you their full attention, and while they may not cry or feel it with you much (do you females expect that?, I hope not)...

Anyhow while they may not cry or feel it with you much, they will be good console and comfort, by maybe just saying only a few words every now and then, like, "I'm sorry honey/dear..." or whatever may be called for in the way of consolation and comfort, but not much on commentary or advice...

Are you really wanting commentary and advice?, or just someone to talk to and express your feelings to?, regardless of whether they feel it with you or not, and regardless of them offering very much advice, or knowing what to "do" or sometimes say about it...? Or, asking, or wanting them to take and pick a side, and, if they do not, or do not side with you getting upset... (which I call picking a fight, but...?)

Anyhow,

God Bless!
You have to remember your talking to someone who is on the outside looking in, and the inside looking out, like you are, they can often see multiple perspectives and you may not (be able to) (being in it)...

And when they try to present you with one of these in a very, very respectful, careful way, you shouldn't get to upset with them for doing so... And, especially not if you know they are right...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Antari Zephyr

Living For Christ.
Mar 25, 2014
United States, Georgia, Atlanta Area
Visit site
✟9,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I can believe it, but I sure don't agree with it. This whole trend of trans-everything, changing marriage into a joke, merging with technology... It would be scary if I were not a believer in Christ, but I do fear for those who are lost in this world.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my... things get weirder and weider...
from The rise of marriage for one | The Spectator

(and I quote: )
"...The point is, settling down doesn’t mean the same thing as finding a partner. After being single for seven years, the artist Tracey Emin chose last May to marry a rock in the garden of her house in France. She said of her new partner, ‘It is beautiful and dignified, it will never let me down’ and referred to the stone as ‘an anchor — something I can identify with’. Instead of a wedding dress, she wore her father’s funeral shroud.

"In India in 2006, a Hindu woman confessed that she had fallen in love with a snake. She subsequently married the snake in a Hindu ceremony. More than 2,000 people took part in the celebration, as they thought the wedding would bring good luck. The snake was not present, perhaps suffering from cold feet; a brass representation acted as a substitute.

"In a similar case the previous year, a British woman sealed a 15-year-long affair with a dolphin in Israel, calling him ‘the love of my life’. After saying ‘I do’, she bestowed upon him a kiss and a herring. Yes, it sounds odd. As well as animals and a rock, there are accounts of single women flouting convention by marrying a sandwich in Las Vegas, a clay pot in Uttaranchal (when the bride’s fiancé was un-avoidably delayed on the big day) and a rollercoaster in Pennsylvania. The latter bride defended her decision by saying ‘I’m not hurting anyone.’ ..."

(More at link posted above.)
Wow, this is really sad. Marriage has been so debased in the mind of so many that they make ridiculous marriages as though it is acceptable. So many confused and deceived people out there that it simply breaks my heart to think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can believe it, but I sure don't agree with it. This whole trend of trans-everything, changing marriage into a joke, merging with technology... It would be scary if I were not a believer in Christ, but I do fear for those who are lost in this world.
Years ago the film-maker Frederico Fellini made a movie based upon a Greek satire called, Satiricon, which showed the debauchery of the Roman empire. That movie is starting to look like modern society today.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is good! May she never take them off. If she ever breaks them, make sure you buy her a new pair.
With old age comes dimness of vision which is just as good as rose colored glasses.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This sounds to me like the tradition of people who go to prom alone having their picture taken...alone.

A way of saying "okay, I'm single, but that doesn't mean I'm garbage."

Now I agree with what some have said here, that the notion of marrying "yourself" is silly at best and...something worse at worst.

But think of the pressure that women are under, just in secular terms, to have a fancy wedding and show that you "aren't worthless". To "give something wastefully expensive" to all your friends. To have a "special day." To mark the beginning of married life where it's assumed you have some value. Etc. I'm not a woman, so I can't imagine it, really. But I try to imagine that pressure pounding away at me for decades, feeling it warp my personality and then re-warp it, overshadowing everything, poisoning every experience. And then I can more easily think "maybe I would say 'Okay, I'll just marry MYSELF!'" And then fall into it and have pictures etc taken.

I dunno. Maybe there's a fad element. How often does this even happen? But...before condemning someone as haughty for standing on tiptoe, I'd consider that just maybe they might be trying to keep one nostril out of the water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This sounds to me like the tradition of people who go to prom alone having their picture taken...alone.

A way of saying "okay, I'm single, but that doesn't mean I'm garbage."

Now I agree with what some have said here, that the notion of marrying "yourself" is silly at best and...something worse at worst.

But think of the pressure that women are under, just in secular terms, to have a fancy wedding and show that you "aren't worthless". To "give something wastefully expensive" to all your friends. To have a "special day." To mark the beginning of married life where it's assumed you have some value. Etc. I'm not a woman, so I can't imagine it, really. But I try to imagine that pressure pounding away at me for decades, feeling it warp my personality and then re-warp it, overshadowing everything, poisoning every experience. And then I can more easily think "maybe I would say 'Okay, I'll just marry MYSELF!'" And then fall into it and have pictures etc taken.

I dunno. Maybe there's a fad element. How often does this even happen? But...before condemning someone as haughty for standing on tiptoe, I'd consider that just maybe they might be trying to keep one nostril out of the water.
I share your same sympathies. I can understand the frustration many women might feel. The problem, though, is that there ceremony is a lie and they know it. No matter how hard they try to convince themselves that they are "happily married" their depression and discouragement will only deepen.

• Agree
Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I share your same sympathies. I can understand the frustration many women might feel. The problem, though, is that there ceremony is a lie and they know it. No matter how hard they try to convince themselves that they are "happily married" their depression and discouragement will only deepen.
Well, I think we all may be making too much of this. It's hard for me to imagine that anyone who participates thinks this is a "real marriage."

Picking on these people (not that you are doing so, but obviously, some might) is kind of blaming the victim. Our culture is totally debased and young people are, at many levels of society, effectively forbidden to get married because it will "mess up" their education, which is largely a social filter that educates no one (in my view) and hardly offers the opportunities it's claimed to offer. Then women are expected to rush around, work like a maniac to support themselves, meet someone, and get married and have a baby before their fertility declines. Ridiculous.

If I think it's sad that people are in this position, then I should speak out against fraudulent educational practices, since I think they're a major contributing factor (not the only one, of course).

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I think we all may be making too much of this. It's hard for me to imagine that anyone who participates thinks this is a "real marriage."

Picking on these people (not that you are doing so, but obviously, some might) is kind of blaming the victim. Our culture is totally debased and young people are, at many levels of society, effectively forbidden to get married because it will "mess up" their education, which is largely a social filter that educates no one (in my view) and hardly offers the opportunities it's claimed to offer. Then women are expected to rush around, work like a maniac to support themselves, meet someone, and get married and have a baby before their fertility declines. Ridiculous.

If I think it's sad that people are in this position, then I should speak out against fraudulent educational practices, since I think they're a major contributing factor (not the only one, of course).
Very well said, and I am in complete agreement with you. Although education is the surface of the problem, in my opinion. The root is the fiat money system the banksters have fooled the nation into believing is sound currency. They inflate the money for their profit and the cost of living rises as the currency continues to diminish. Up until the 1950's their inflation was still small so a man could support his family on his one revenue. They cranked up the inflation so much that by the 1970's it became necessary for two income household. With that background, young women realized they needed too also work, which increased the cost of raising a family with daycare costs. Women going to college for higher wages became the national mindset. Motherhood as the jewel of life purpose was forgotten until it became too late for women to bear children. I am sixty three and I know many women who chose careers first who could neither marry or, if married, bear children.

• Prayers
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While listening to Rush Limbaugh today he talked about a new trend among single women in their middle age: marrying themselves. They are calling themselves sologamists as in solo - gamist. Of course there are business people jumping in on the cash: wedding photographers, caterers, florists, wedding gown, etc. Women are actually having ceremonies in church with gowns walking down an aisle with no man waiting at the end. Can you believe this?
In these rather odd times in which we live, it seems to me that modern mankind puts an immense amount of effort into finding new ways to be stupid.

From a long term perspective, the good thing is they won't reproduce. Perhaps the idiocy will die out on its own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... That is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard of.
Really? Seems less weird than a lot of other things
I have seen considered mainstream lately.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
While listening to Rush Limbaugh today he talked about a new trend among single women in their middle age: marrying themselves. They are calling themselves sologamists as in solo - gamist. Of course there are business people jumping in on the cash: wedding photographers, caterers, florists, wedding gown, etc. Women are actually having ceremonies in church with gowns walking down an aisle with no man waiting at the end. Can you believe this?

I know this much, a Conservative didn't come up with this idea. . .

• Haha
Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How is this supposed to bother me, or anyone? What am I missing? What am I supposed to care about this?

• Agree
Upvote 0