inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I went back to page 7 (before you began to heavily debate with me). I checked each page looking for the first key verse (i.e. 1 Corinthians 10:13). In all those pages, I noticed you gave one quick sentence response that did not really address those verses in any detail. You then gave another response to these verses by pointing to other verses as a means of deflection. That is not what I was asking.

Just giving any old answer is not what I was asking you. I wanted you to actual give me a commentary in your own words what these verses said. I never got that from you.

So do you care to take a shot at again this time in the proper way?
Overcoming sin is not being perfect in your flesh. If it was, you fail the test too. The abridged version

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People should remember, for eternal life is at stake:

For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matt7:2

I repeat

For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I am not above God's laws any more than you are. I am not telling you to do something that I am not willing to do myself or I have already done. I am judging the belief that says that we should not strive to obey all of the commands of Jesus that come from Himself and His followers. Seeing I believe whole heartedly that I believe in striving to obey all of Christ's commands to the best of my ability and knowledge, I can then encourage others to do the same.

Also, if God condemns me for something I am not doing, I am more than happy to face the music. I never once said I have preferential treatment with God. I never once said that I could break God's laws that relate to having dire consequences to my soul in the after life and yet somehow I could still magically be saved. I don't believe in turning God's grace into a license for immorality. Yet, folks here like yourself say that you are a sinner and that you can break the Moral Law and still be saved. Yet, you are throwing down the hypocrisy rule with me? How can you if you break God's other Moral Laws as per your own words? You either keep all of God's laws or you don't. You cannot pick and choose which are the worse ones to you. Oh but wait. I thought you said before that all laws are the same?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks. You totally convinced me. Good speech here. Lot's of good verses here. Oh wait. You didn't give any verses here. So yeah. I don't believe you just because you say so. Just shaking your head.... "no" is not really going to convince me. You have to actually use Scripture to prove your case (This would include explaining the verses I put forth).
You don't believe me when you get the plain scripture placed before you. You always try and reason it away with faulty exegesis. So what's the point?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not above God's laws any more than you are. I am not telling you to do something that I am not willing to do myself or I have already done.

Try to be honest, every time you are not you break the moral law! You commit sin by breaking the letter of the moral law. Yet, because I admit that, you say I seek a licence for immorality

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Overcoming sin is not being perfect in your flesh. If it was, you fail the test too. The abridged version

In some cases the Bible is talking about crucifying the affections in lusts in regards to the basics involving holiness. One example is Galatians 5. We see that that if we walk after the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh (See Galatians 5:16). What lusts of the flesh? Perfection? No. It lists those things that are the lusts of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21. Read it.

Upvote 0

Wedinn

Sep 7, 2018
Brasov Country
✟9,037.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
"God provides a way of escape for you when are tempted."
That is a way which is paved for you that you are supposed to walk, through your faith, and faith comes from hearing the Gospel. As with any walk, your walk towards being eternally absolved from sin is not done in a single step, but rather, as a gradual journey in which God stands by your side through highs and lows. John 3:5 implies that we get our faith (necessary to trust in God and to allow him to cleanse us of our sins) by hearing the Gospel, and that's not something you do once in a lifetime. Consequently, Romans 10:17 implies that those who have not been blessed by the call of the Gospel (i.e: the faithless and sinners) don't get to the kingdom of God. That's why I believe you see the term "escape" being used. You are an escapee from torment, and your life makes up that escape.
If that doesn't sound like "We will sin less and less", try looking back into your life at all the times you've sinned, regretted and felt guilt. I can assure you that you felt guilty more than once in a lifetime and your feelings of guilt had varying intensities, more and more seldom as you grew closer to God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't believe me when you get the plain scripture placed before you. You always try and reason it away with faulty exegesis. So what's the point?

Then why have you bothered to keep using Scripture with me for all this time then? I will tell you why? Because you are preferring to see only those Scripture verses that you prefer to see. I know for a fact that you do not have a good explanation for the verses that talk about how we can overcome sin. That is the REAL reason why you are not explaining them or offering a detailed commentary for them. It's because you don't like those verses. It's best that you just forget about them and not even talk about them in any way because they contradict your belief system.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a way which is paved for you that you are supposed to walk, through your faith, and faith comes from hearing the Gospel. As with any walk, your walk towards being eternally absolved from sin is not done in a single step, but rather, as a gradual journey in which God stands by your side through highs and lows. John 3:5 implies that we get our faith (necessary to trust in God and to allow him to cleanse us of our sins) by hearing the Gospel, and that's not something you do once in a lifetime. Consequently, Romans 10:17 implies that those who have not been blessed by the call of the Gospel (i.e: the faithless and sinners) don't get to the kingdom of God. That's why I believe you see the term "escape" being used. You are an escapee from torment, and your life makes up that escape.
If that doesn't sound like "We will sin less and less", try looking back into your life at all the times you've sinned, regretted and felt guilt. I can assure you that you felt guilty more than once in a lifetime and your feelings of guilt had varying intensities, more and more seldom as you grew closer to God.

That's your own jumbled up words infused into that verse. It does not say a gradual walk with the believer his whole life. Please show me the exact words in 1 Corinthians 10:13 and or a surrounding verse that shows that this refers to the whole life of the believer. This sounds to me like a moment when a believer is tempted (in a single moment) and God says He provides a way of escape for us so we are able to bear that temptation and get through it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In some cases the Bible is talking about crucifying the affections in lusts in regards to the basics involving holiness. One example is Galatians 5. We see that that if we walk after the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh (See Galatians 5:16). What lusts of the flesh? Perfection? No. It lists those things that are the lusts of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21. Read it.
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I know it is pointless to tell you. But those who live like this. That is their everyday life. It is how they want to live. Do you never have any impurity on the inside Jason? Are you completely free of all impure thoughts? You never have any selfish ambition? You never once envy???

I am bored of this, and have to go out for a few hours

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try to be honest, every time you are not you break the moral law! You commit sin by breaking the letter of the moral law. Yet, because I admit that, you say I seek a licence for immorality

Try to be honest by actually giving a detailed commentary and the verses on overcoming sin. If not, then why are you still talking to me with the Bible in other places?

Upvote 0

Wedinn

Sep 7, 2018
Brasov Country
✟9,037.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
This sounds to me like a moment when a believer is tempted (in a single moment) and God says He provides a way of escape for us so we are able to bear that temptation and get through it.
But there are multiple such moments in our life, and this verse applies to us in each and every one of them. Does that not sound like a gradient to you?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Try to be honest by actually giving a detailed commentary and the verses on overcoming sin. If not, then why are you still talking to me with the Bible in other places?
Last time, for I must go out. You do not overcome sin in the way of faultlessly obeying the letter the bible says kills/moral law of the ten commandments. Neither you or anyone else does. I repeat. If anyone with the law in their heart and mind claims never to commit sin they are lying

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I know it is pointless to tell you. But those who live like this. That is their everyday life. It is how they want to live. Do you never have any impurity on the inside Jason? Are you completely free of all impure thoughts? You never have any selfish ambition? You never once envy???

I am bored of this, and have to go out for a few hours

That must be from one of those new corrupted Modern Translations.

The KJV says,

" that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:21).

Remember, Adam and Eve had brought sin and death to the whole world by just their one sin. Ananias and Sapphira were killed on the spot for lying to the Holy Ghost. I don't think they are in Heaven. For a great fear fell upon the whole church and all who heard about it. Fear is not ane motion that is expressed over those who are in the loving arms of Jesus. If a person does not need to worry about sin, then they do not need to be afraid of God in any way. That is what your message of grace proposes. No fear of God. We do not need to worry about God's laws and we can say we are sinners. This is having a wrong mindset with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last time, for I must go out. You do not overcome sin in the way of faultlessly obeying the letter the bible says kills/moral law of the ten commandments. Neither you or anyone else does. I repeat. If anyone with the law in their heart and mind claims never to commit sin they are lying

Let's read the verse:

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).​

How many temptations are being spoken of here?

It says NO temptation has overtaken you that which is common to man. It then says God is faithful. So how is God faithful for you in this situation if you say you are a sinner and you are giving in to temptation? God says He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able but with that temptation he provides a way of escape so that you will be able to endure it. Do you believe that? My guess is that would be a .... "no." Because you said you are a sinner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Chapter and verse please.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But there are multiple such moments in our life, and this verse applies to us in each and every one of them. Does that not sound like a gradient to you?

Lets read the verse:

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).​

#1. No temptation has overtaken you that is common to man. Meaning, you are not going to be tempted above what man can bear or overcome.

#2. God is faithful who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able. So if God faithful to you? Is God going to not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able to bear? 1 Corinthians 10:13 here is saying... "no."

#3. In our time of temptation, God provides a way of escape so that you will be able to endure the temptation. Meaning, you will overcome the temptation. Do you believe God provides a way of escape in times of temptation? I get no indication in this verse that this is only sometimes God provides a way of escape. This can be read as a single moment in time when we are tempted by a specific sin. God can provide a way of escape for us and God is not going to tempted us beyond what we are able to bear. Do you believe that?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Let's read the verse:

How many temptations are being spoken of here?

It says NO temptation has overtaken you that which is common to man. It then says God is faithful. So how is God faithful for you in this situation if you say you are a sinner and you are giving in to temptation? God says He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able but with that temptation he provides a way of escape so that you will be able to endure it. Do you believe that? My guess is that would be a .... "no." Because you said you are a sinner.
Then you are condemned aren't you Jason for you are not sinless. Why do you bother to read the bible and pray? It is all hopeless for you isn't it

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Chapter and verse please.
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us 1John1:8

Is John condemned too?

Please do not tell me that only concerns past sins. John is speaking in the present tense and includes himself in the we.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed James5:16
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matt6:15&16

And as you are not sinless yourself, according to your interpretation of the bible, you are also condemned I imagine. Or, does what you preach to others not apply to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That must be from one of those new corrupted Modern Translations.

The KJV says,

" that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:21).
In truth Jason, it is most likely I sin less than you do, that would be according to the bible, and my experience of those who preach your message.
And, unless you have ceased from all impure thoughts, any selfish ambition, and all envy, you are condemning yourself again with your understanding of scripture. The NIV is a reputed Bible, and its wording brings scripture into one cohesive whole.

Upvote 0