Brasov Country
✟9,037.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
All of us are sinners whether we admit it or not. The original sin of our forefathers carried over throughout the generations and it continues to taint our body and soul.
Not considering yourself a sinner, or thinking that you can completely rid yourself of your sinfulness through earthly means does not change the reality of our conscience's imperfect and perverted nature.
Claiming otherwise just goes to show how blinded we are by our own pride. I firmly believe that there are no ordinary Chrisians that can live a life without sin, and I completely agree with the quote from the original post. All we can do is repent and pray so that whatever offense we have commited before God is forgiven, but we will inevitably come crashing back down sooner or later unless God's grace holds us onto the path we were meant to walk.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The righteousness of the Law (that we are to fulfill by walking after the Spirit) in Romans 8:3-4, is in reference to that "righteous aspect or part of the Old Law" that still applies under the New Covenant. This would be the Moral Law or the Law of loving your neighbor (See Romans 13:8-10).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All of us are sinners whether we admit it or not. The original sin of our forefathers carried over throughout the generations and it continues to taint our body and soul.
Not considering yourself a sinner, or thinking that you can completely rid yourself of your sinfulness through earthly means does not change the reality of our conscience's imperfect and perverted nature.
Claiming otherwise just goes to show how blinded we are by our own pride. I firmly believe that there are no ordinary Chrisians that can live a life without sin, and I completely agree with the quote from the original post. All we can do is repent and pray so that whatever offense we have commited before God is forgiven, but we will inevitably come crashing back down sooner or later unless God's grace holds us onto the path we were meant to walk.

If what you say was true, then we would have multiple contradictions in Scripture. For the Bible teaches that we can overcome sin.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof." (Romans 13:14).

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Galatians 5:24).

1 "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God." (1 Peter 4:1-2).

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." (2 Corinthians 7:1).

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16).

"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12NLT).

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" (Philippians 2:15).

“Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him” (Romans 6:6-8).

“Don't you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living.” (Romans 6:16 NLT).

“there are false prophets... who cannot cease from sin.” (2 Peter 2:1, 2 Peter 2:14).

“Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.” (1 Corinthians 15:34).

“Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen” (Hebrews 13:20-21).

“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.” (1 John 2:5).

“And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23).

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;” (1 Thessalonians 4:3-4).

“For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.” (1 Thessalonians 4:7).​

For how do you explain these verses?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here we go again. You said you don't know my life and yet you say you know my life to know that you think I do not try and obey every literal command of Christ. I think you are wrong. I do strive to do all of what Christ says. But it is in His timing and not my own. Granted, there are other things we do have to do every day. We do have to love our neighbor in the sense of keeping the Moral Law every day. Then again, you don't believe that I keep that, either. But that's okay. You can believe whatever you like. Just know it is not what the Scriptures teach. I have already asked for you to explain verses like 1 Peter 4:1-2, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Galatians 5:24, 2 Corinthians 7:1, and Romans 13:14. However, I did not see a post that addressed these verses (unless I missed it).
No one is keeping the moral law if they ask of others what they do not ask of themselves. I told you that already

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In Romans 7:1-6, Paul is telling Messianic Christians (i.e. those brethren who know Old Testament Law - Romans 7:1) that the Old Law is dead and that they should serve in newness of Spirit (i.e. the New Testament Scriptures that were still being formed) and not in oldness of the letter (i.e. the Torah, etc.). This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. This lines up with the temple veil being torn from top to bottom when Christ died (Which started the New Covenant officially). The Old Testament Laws on animal sacrifices was no longer in effect anymore and Jesus Christ was now our passover Lamb or perfect sacrifice. Hence, why Romans 7:2 says, "if the husband [i.e. Jesus] be dead, she [i.e. the body of believers] is loosed from the law [i.e. the Old Law] of her husband."

In Romans 7:7-13, Paul is recounting Israelite history and speaking as a Jew throughout time with the coming in of the Law of Moses and what that was like. However, if Paul made these statements here as a Christian, they wouldn't make any sense.

In Romans 7:14-24, Paul is recounting his experience as a Pharisee before he became a Christian. Paul (Saul) is describing his experience of what it is like to struggle in keeping the Old Covenant Law that did not include Jesus Christ.

It is true that the use of first-person present verbs in the passage (“I am” “I practice” “I want” “I hate” “I do”) sounds like Paul is talking about his present experience. But Paul sometimes uses “I” in a rhetorical sense to describe generic experience rather than his own present experience (1 Corinthians 10:30; 1 Corinthians 13:2-3, 1 Corinthians 13:11). In at least one other place, Paul uses a first-person present verb to describe his opponents’ experience (Galatians 2:18).

Romans 7:25 is a verse that transitions back to the present day reality as Paul being a Christian. He is thankful that he now has victory in Jesus Christ His Lord who can deliver him from his body of death (Which was a problem before). Otherwise why is Paul thanking Jesus?
The scripture is quite clear in rom ch7. When Paul spoke of dying to the law/not being under the law: Thou shalt not covet was given as the example of why this is so. You can, obviously reason anything to overturn the plain words of scripture, if you wish, but it is not advisable

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No one is keeping the moral law if they ask of others what they do not ask of themselves. I told you that already

And your words are not true. I already said that to you already. We can keep saying that back and forth in saying that until the cows come home, but that would not prove anything. The truth of the matter here is not in our own words alone, but the truth is in the Scriptures.

In other words, you need to address those verses I posted to you before about how a believer can overcome sin. I have answered most of the verses you have put forth to me. I think it is only fair that you do the same for me.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
And your words are not true. I already said that to you already.
We can keep saying that until the cows come home, but the truth of the matter here is that you need to address those verses I posted to you before about how a believer can overcome sin. I have answered most of the verses you have put forth to me. I think it is only fair that you do the same for me.
I have responded to most of your verses in the last 24 hours, as you know. I have also previoiusly responded to ''overcoming sin'
And I can assure you. Demanding of others what you do not demand of yourself is breaking the moral law. There is no love in it!
Please do not make the mistake the Pharisees did. All they coud see was: Thou shalt not

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem here is:
Many after drinking the old wine don't want the new, for they say: The old is better Luke5:39

This is in reference to the Old Covenant ways vs. the New Covenant ways. We are not under the Law of Moses as a whole or package deal because that Law was given to Israel. We are under a New Covenant with new commands. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It does not say there are no more laws anymore.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There is one rule always to remember. When people rigidly quote the letter of commands to you, insisting you must fully obey them to inherit eternal life(that is your righteousness), they cannot and do not practice what they preach. It was this way 2000 years ago, and it is this way today

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have responded to most of your verses in the last 24 hours, as you know. I have also previoiusly responded to ''overcoming sin'
And I can assure you. Demanding of others what you do not demand of yourself is breaking the moral law. There is no love in it!
Please do not make the mistake the Pharisees did. All they coud see was: Thou shalt not

If you responded to the verse that relate to overcoming sin that I have put forth to you many times, then please provide me the post #. To see which verses I am referring to, see Post #483.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is in reference to the Old Covenant ways vs. the New Covenant ways. We are not under the Law of Moses as a whole or package deal because that Law was given to Israel. We are under a New Covenant with new commands. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It does not say there are no more laws anymore.
No, it isn't

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you responded to the verse that relate to overcoming sin that I have put forth to you many times, then please provide me the post #. To see which verses I am referring to, see Post #483.
scroll back and find it. If I take the time to respond to it, you should take the time to know where it is

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The scripture is quite clear in rom ch7. When Paul spoke of dying to the law/not being under the law: Thou shalt not covet was given as the example of why this is so. You can, obviously reason anything to overturn the plain words of scripture, if you wish, but it is not advisable

Keep reading. Romans 8:3-4 says that the Old Law was weak so that is why God sent His Son to condemn sin in the flesh. No mention of any future laws is being mentioned here. In fact, In Romans 8:3-4, it says that we are to FULFILL the righteousness of the Law by walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh (i.e. sin). Do you believe we fulfill the righteousness of the Law? Yes, or no? How can you fulfill the righteousness of the Law if you also break that very Law? That sounds like a contradiction to me.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
People should remember, for eternal life is at stake:

For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matt7:2

I repeat

For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Keep reading. Romans 8:3-4 says that the Old Law was weak so that is why God sent His Son to condemn sin in the flesh. No mention of any future laws is being mentioned here. In fact, In Romans 8:3-4, it says that we are to FULFILL the righteousness of the Law by walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh (i.e. sin). Do you believe we fulfill the righteousness of the Law? Yes, or no? How can you fulfill the righteousness of the Law if you also break that very Law? That sounds like a contradiction to me.
Much sounds like a contradiction to you. Alas, it always will. For if you believe you do not break the moral law, you azre, I am afraid blind to the reality.
You refuse to accept 2Cor3:6-9 refers to the moral law of the ten commandments
You refuse to accept when Paul states we die to the law, he showed he was referring to the moral law when he stated that. You will always be confused, in contradiction when you cannot accept basic facts of the faith

Upvote 0

Wedinn

Sep 7, 2018
Brasov Country
✟9,037.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
For how do you explain these verses
God and His holiness are mentioned in most of these verses as a mediator between humans and forgiveness of their sins. We alone can do nothing. Those who are called to walk with Christ on the path to righterousness will gradually overcome their sinfulness or absolved or their consequences, but only out of God's divine will, as opposed to the claims of men believe they've overcome sin through their own means. Were we left alone to sin, we would have ceased or been rightfully smitten, as many have been before us.

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. - Romans 8:29-30

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth. So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. - Romans 9:16-18

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
scroll back and find it. If I take the time to respond to it, you should take the time to know where it is

I went back to page 7 (before you began to heavily debate with me). I checked each page looking for the first key verse (i.e. 1 Corinthians 10:13). In all those pages, I noticed you gave one quick sentence response that did not really address those verses in any detail. You then gave another response to these verses by pointing to other verses as a means of deflection. That is not what I was asking.

Just giving any old answer is not what I was asking you. I wanted you to actual give me a commentary in your own words what these verses said. I never got that from you.

So do you care to take a shot at again this time in the proper way?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God and His holiness are mentioned in most of these verses as a mediator between humans and forgiveness of their sins. We alone can do nothing. Those who are called to walk with Christ on the path to righterousness will gradually overcome their sinfulness or absolved or their consequences, but only out of God's divine will, as opposed to the claims of men believe they've overcome sin through their own means. Were we left alone to sin, we would have ceased or been rightfully smitten, as many have been before us.

I am not doubting that God is the one who helps us to overcome our sin. In fact, I believe that it is only by Christ we can overcome sin because Jesus says we can do nothing without Him (See John 15:5). The point I am getting at is that these verses say "cease from sin" or "God provides a way of escape for you when are tempted." This does not sound like.... Oh, we will sin less and less to me. Those are not the kinds of words that were used in those verses. Please give me a detailed commentary on at least 2-3 verses from that list to prove what you are saying here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it isn't

Thanks. You totally convinced me. Good speech here. Lot's of good verses here. Oh wait. You didn't give any verses here. So yeah. I don't believe you just because you say so. Just shaking your head.... "no" is not really going to convince me. You have to actually use Scripture to prove your case (This would include explaining the verses I put forth).

Upvote 0