Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Timothy Keller says that the world is not divided into sinners and saints, but into repentant and unrepentant sinners.

Christian, are you a sinner?
Interesting OP and really gets to the heart of who is righteous or Who is Righteous.

If one claims they are sinless then would that not mean they no longer sin here on earth in the flesh?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I ran across a really odd belief among some "independent Baptists" that has it that no matter what a person does after baptism it isn't sin.
There is a lot of that going around even on some of these threads.

What I surmise from their argument is that the inner man is saved and washed clean and can no longer be stained because it is Christ’s Righteousness in us. Yet the flesh can still sin but the argument goes further that we are no longer children of the flesh but Spirit.

I have not explored their argument but that smacks to me to be a bit Gnostic.

As repentant sinners who look to Christ as Lord and Savior, we are no longer in bondage to sin and death but are still in a world where we are not free of temptation and sin. That happens only when we put on the incorruptible at the Resurrection.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The standard list: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth

Do I struggle with any of these as a Christian? Yes. Do they characterize me, or define me? I hope not, I pray not, I hope to be granted repentance. The thing is, I am not sure how many people realize that our thoughts matter to God, that He knows us inside and out, every thought, word, deed, every attitude of the heart.
Wow yeah. The closer the walk the more is exposed. Thank you God for your Grace!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simul iustus et peccator.

-CryptoLutheran
Indeed and explained by RC Sproul quite well from his book on Luther:

Perhaps the formula that Luther used that is most famous and most telling at this point is his formula simul justus et peccator. And if any formula summarizes and captures the essence of the Reformation view, it is this little formula. Simul is the word from which we get the English word simultaneously. Or, it means ‘at the same time.’ Justus is the Latin word for just or righteous. And you all know what et is. Et the past tense of the verb ‘to eat.’ Have you et your dinner? No, you know that’s not what that means. You remember in the death scene of Caesar after he’s been stabbed by Brutus he says, “Et tu, Brute?” Then fall Caesar. And you too Brutus? It simply means and. Peccatormeans sinner.

And so with this formula Luther was saying, in our justification we are one and the same time righteous or just, and sinners. Now if he would say that we are at the same time and in the same relationship just and sinners that would be a contradiction in terms. But that’s not what he was saying. He was saying from one perspective, in one sense, we are just. In another sense, from a different perspective, we are sinners; and how he defines that is simple. In and of ourselves, under the analysis of God’s scrutiny, we still have sin; we’re still sinners. But, by imputation and by faith in Jesus Christ, whose righteousness is now transferred to our account, then we are considered just or righteous. This is the very heart of the gospel.

Will I be judged in order to get into heaven by my righteousness or by the righteousness of Christ? If I had to trust in my righteousness to get into heaven, I would completely and utterly despair of any possibility of ever being redeemed. But when we see that the righteousness that is ours by faith is the perfect righteousness of Christ, then we see how glorious is the good news of the gospel. The good news is simply this, I can be reconciled to God, I can be justified by God not on the basis of what I did, but on the basis of what’s been accomplished for me by Christ.

But at the heart of the gospel is a double-imputation. My sin is imputed to Jesus. His righteousness is imputed to me. And in this two-fold transaction we see that God, Who does not negotiate sin, Who doesn’t compromise His own integrity with our salvation, but rather punishes sin fully and really after it has been imputed to Jesus, retains His own righteousness, and so He is both just and the justifier, as the apostle tells us here. So my sin goes to Jesus, His righteousness comes to me in the sight of God.

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/simul-justus-et-peccator/

• Winner
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A repentant sinner
Does this mean you are in a continuous cycles of sinning and repenting? I believe they refer to this as a recovering sinner. So there are sinner who have repented and then there are recovering sinners.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Timothy Keller says that the world is not divided into sinners and saints, but into repentant and unrepentant sinners.

I am a repentant sinner and I am a saint (one who is called out from the world), solely because of Jesus Christ, not because of my own merit.

I am not a saint in the Roman Catholic corruption of the definition of saint. I am a saint by the Biblical definition.

Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does this mean you are in a continuous cycles of sinning and repenting? I believe they refer to this as a recovering sinner. So there are sinner who have repented and then there are recovering sinners.[/QUOTE The bible says
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
when he grants us repentance which is true sorrow we receive it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But none have been perfected yet, none made incorruptible yet. These are works done by messiah at his return.

This implies that there are believers who have died and are in Heaven are currently sinning in the presence of Christ. Unless I have misunderstood your comment.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This implies that there are believers who have died and are in Heaven are currently sinning in the presence of Christ. Unless I have misunderstood your comment.
I wasn't addressing anyone who has passed on. I am speaking only about those alive today... and not one of us has been perfected yet. Which by definition means we are imperfect. We might not desire to sin, but we are still capable of it. Once we are changed we will lose the ability to sin at all.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I am a true believer in my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ... and, I am a sinner.

There is just no "condemnation" for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Show me any Christian who does not eat too much at a buffet (gluttony), want that new car or fancy house (covetousness), Look at a member of the opposite sex as being attractive and more (adulterous),
tell a white lie, get angry when you have no righteous reason, say "Oh my God" (this really is taking His name in vane, let's be hones)..

The list goes on... We are covered by His blood, we will face no condemnation... we are Christian and His children and still sin.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
when he grants us repentance which is true sorrow we receive it
I'm not saying that you arent a sinner....only you and God can say that. Just saying that one who continues to sin, hasnt repented......yet they may be trying. For those trying, it may be more appropriate to saying recovering sinner.....like we do for alcoholics. I dont believe they still call themselves alcoholics after they completely turn away from it....and if they do, I would encourage them to no longer call themselves that. I would advise the same to to one who has repented of their sins.....

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't addressing anyone who has passed on. I am speaking only about those alive today... and not one of us has been perfected yet. Which by definition means we are imperfect. We might not desire to sin, but we are still capable of it. Once we are changed we will lose the ability to sin at all.
There are some who have been perfected......if they were well known and easy to point out, it would not be a way that few find......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But that’s not what he was saying. He was saying from one perspective, in one sense, we are just. In another sense, from a different perspective, we are sinners; and how he defines that is simple. In and of ourselves, under the analysis of God’s scrutiny, we still have sin; we’re still sinners. But, by imputation and by faith in Jesus Christ, whose righteousness is now transferred to our account, then we are considered just or righteous. This is the very heart of the gospel.

Absolutely nail on the head.

What we are under God's Law is a sinner, a wretch, sinful, broken, helpless in our unrighteousness. As Luther writes in the Heidelberg Disputation, "The Law says 'do this', and it is not done". The Apostle St. Paul explicitly says that no one can be just under the Law, for the Law brings with it the condemnation of sin. As long as we bear this body of death, this mortal corruptible flesh, we are sinners (not because the body is evil, but because we came into this world dead in our trespasses, inheriting the fallen humanity of Adam).

But by the grace of God we have been freely justified, for God in His kindness has justified us, imputing to us the alien righteousness of Jesus Christ. And so the Apostle can say that "In the Gospel the justice of God is revealed", by which the Apostle does not mean the condemnation of the Law, but the justice of Jesus Christ by which men are made just, and so, "the just live by faith". This is the righteousness apart from the Law that is through faith.

And so the Christian is, under the eye of the Law a condemned sinner; but by the imputed righteousness of Christ that is by grace through faith, a holy, perfect, righteous saint.

Caught in the paradox of the Simul, we are sinner-saints.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Their are some who have been perfected......if they were well knows and easy to point out, it would not be a way that few find......

If they were not like a lamp on a hill at night for all the town below to see, would they be perfect?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not saying that you arent a sinner....only you and God can say that. Just saying that one who continues to sin, hasnt repented......yet they may be trying. For those trying, it may be more appropriate to saying recovering sinner.....like we do for alcoholics. I dont believe they still call themselves alcoholics after they completely turn away from it....and if they do, I would encourage them to no longer call themselves that. I would advise the same to to one who has repented of their sins.....
I don't see how one who continues to sin hasn't repented, we have the sin of omission and commission,
would you say that your not a sinner?

Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Taking what you say into account you would say that the person is committing the same sin?

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some Christians believe that once they become saved, or baptized, that they are no longer sinners.
Technically, I am a saint. I would not call myself a sinner, even though I sin, because that is no longer my identity in Christ Jesus. This may seem like a distinction without a difference, but I think it's actually an important difference. If you believe your identity is sinner, there is a tendency to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0