Are you a scientist, engineer or writer?

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Heard of the Tau Zero foundation? It's a volunteer group of scientists and engineers who are working on the next step in human expansion; The stars!
I am not a member - yet. But I do want to see if I can contribute.
Do you want to?
Tau Zero Foundation

Reactions: Elendur

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No I am not. But I did read the sci-fi nook "Tal Zero" about intergalactic travel. Any connection?

The foundation is named Tau Zero after a novel by the same name. Written by Poul Anderson.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Heard of the Tau Zero foundation? It's a volunteer group of scientists and engineers who are working on the next step in human expansion; The stars!
Do you want to?
Tau Zero Foundation

I think this is worse than buying an acre of land on the moon.

In order to do that, we have to first see a frozen person wakes up on the earth.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Going to the stars has nothing to do with human expansion if we take all our fallen sinful ways with us. People need to expand spiritually without leaving their Google Maps co-ordinates.

False dilemma. We can do both. And, we're doing better as a civilization now than we ever have before. Some setbacks now and again, sure. But by and large, better. If we should stop doing everything until we've got it right spiritually... Well, we won't be able to do anything. Ever.Which you know full well I suspect. But it is in journeys like this, the search for solutions to real problems that solutions to other problems arise, and development of our civilization occurs. Be that ideologically, scientifically or technologically.

I think this is worse than buying an acre of land on the moon.

In order to do that, we have to first see a frozen person wakes up on the earth.

And why would that be? No-one said anything about cryostasis. There are many ways to colonize. We could send sex cells and with enough automation we could conceivably get a civilization going from that. Or we could use generation ships. No cryostasis necessary. And there are a number of theoretical drives which probably won't but may pan out, enabling travel at superluminal speeds. The alcubierre drive is one such.
Regardless,you presented a false dilemma juve. We don't have to wait until we get everything panned out and planned to the smallest possible detail. This is a project which will take a loooong time if we want to get it done. We should start now, and by start I don't mean building ships. I mean we need to colonize the moon, get a presence out there. Get working on the problems related to interstellar flight. Consider different angles, possibilities and then when we have viable options and available resources we should go. Even if the likelihood of success is really low, say 75% or so.
This isn't a project we're likely to complete in our lifetime. If you want that kind of instantaneous gratification you're better off in Hollywood than in the real world anyway.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Do you want to?
Tau Zero Foundation
Thank you for this interesting discussion and site :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we're going to built to the stars, then the foundations need to be steadfast and deep.
Sounds like scientists have gone back to building the Tower of Babel.

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
I'm rather a reaching fool than a content learned.

Reactions: Orogeny
Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You need one of these it seems like, concerning your proverb:
mirror+%25281%2529.jpg

I mean, don't you get tired of your one-shot insults? Running from thread to thread delivering one-line insults and name calling without ever supplying an explanation, or ever issuing an apology?

Anyway, if you think that story was about building a tall structure.... Well, perhaps you need to re-read it, AV. Talk about missing the point!

Last edited:
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Actually I don't mingd hearing that. Those proverbs usually have sense and wisdom in them, and it reminds me of this from Muhammed:

"Someone who takes back a gift is like a dog returning to its own vomit".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
Do you want to?
Tau Zero Foundation

Um, so how are us "volunteer scientists" supposed to join?

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Um, so how are us "volunteer scientists" supposed to join?

Here:
Tau Zero Foundation (Links to contact page)

As it says:
"Potential Practitioners
And lastly, if you are already an established professional whose work might aid this cause (day job or self-motivated), please alert us to your peer-reviewed publications."

Upvote 0