Are you a "Moderate SDA"? IF so what do you mean by that?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1. "Moderate" could mean -- I accept QoD as a valid reliable doctrinal statement for SDAs that is in perfect harmony with the 28FB.

2. It could mean - -I accept the 28FB and Ellen White but I don't like the harsh critical judgmental (all Ellen White all the time) spirit I find among "some" notoriously conservative web-site practices so I prefer not to be identified as "conservative".

3. Or it could mean -- I accept all 28FB but I do not accept the idea of "ceasing to sin" before the 2nd coming -- or any variation of that.

4. Or it could mean -- I accept some of the 28FB -- just not the IJ.

Or it could mean -- ??

Well I guess that is the question for this thread -- if you are moderate SDA -- what do you mean by that?

If you are not moderate-SDA what do you think the term means?

If you consider yourself moderate -- how do you suppose that differs from "progressive"?

(Maybe we need a similar thread for "progressive"?)

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:

DanPev

Jan 14, 2006
✟15,372.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I consider myself a moderate adventist, mainly because I see the Evangelical Adventists as nothing more than evangelicals. And because I'm too liberal too consider myself a Traditional Adventist. When it comes to theological issues like the IJ, and the like, I am pretty much with the traditionals; however when it comes to tho social issues like womens ordination, wine in the Bible, not to mention anything political, I am most definitely on the liberal side of things.

Basically, I could go with point 2 of your list there.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

The gospel is Jesus Christ!
May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Err... umm.. "not crazy"??

So anyone who can sign up as "not crazy" get's to claim they are "Moderate"?

in Christ,

Bob

Perhaps we could have a jury like the one found in reality shows (think American Idol) that would be responsible for deciding. Can I be on that jury? :p

With tongue in cheek,
BFA

Upvote 0

trubeautie

Salaam-e-Ishq
Feb 7, 2009
TN
✟7,814.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good question. Moderate, traditional, evangelical, progressive etc. - all I grew up with was SDA Christianity. People are going to have various experiences and be at different places in their walk with God. Not sure about the purpose of these types of distinctions.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good question. Moderate, traditional, evangelical, progressive etc. - all I grew up with was SDA Christianity. People are going to have various experiences and be at different places in their walk with God. Not sure about the purpose of these types of distinctions.
Welcome, Trubeautie! :)

Upvote 0

RedNoma

Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
✟7,753.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose I'm a "moderate", although I'd never heard the term referenced to any adventist belief before joining here. I personally don't agree with IJ/1844 doctrine. I also eat meat, listen to secular music/movies, and do many other things "traditionalists" might disagree with, but I see as non-sinful.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I consider myself a moderate adventist, mainly because I see the Evangelical Adventists as nothing more than evangelicals.
Then you don't understand the the SDA Evangelical postion. there are simalarities, but real differences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I suppose I'm a "moderate", although I'd never heard the term referenced to any adventist belief before joining here. I personally don't agree with IJ/1844 doctrine. I also eat meat, listen to secular music/movies, and do many other things "traditionalists" might disagree with, but I see as non-sinful.

So then you have never read this page?

http://www.4hispeople.com/candace.htm

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

JoeyWhiteshoes

Still a newbie
Feb 25, 2008
So. California
✟7,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I used to be a traditional and then a moderate and now a former adventist.

To be a moderate adventist means you don't believe all of what they teach and you want out but you stay for some reason or another.

Moderates pick and choose which points of doctrine they want to keep.

Joey

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

To be a moderate adventist means you don't believe all of what they teach and you want out but you stay for some reason or another.

Joey

An honest man that JoeyWhiteshoes is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Joey
everyone picks and chooses, so that cannot be a defining component of a moderate..... likewise, not all moderates are the same.... labels are useless for the most part....

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

The gospel is Jesus Christ!
May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
everyone picks and chooses, so that cannot be a defining component of a moderate..... likewise, not all moderates are the same.... labels are useless for the most part....

That is quite true. Even our SDA friends who fall into the Heartland Institute camp fail to live up to all of the advice offered by Ellen G. White.

BFA

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1. "Moderate" could mean -- I accept QoD as a valid reliable doctrinal statement for SDAs that is in perfect harmony with the 28FB.

2. It could mean - -I accept the 28FB and Ellen White but I don't like the harsh critical judgmental (all Ellen White all the time) spirit I find among "some" notoriously conservative web-site practices so I prefer not to be identified as "conservative".

3. Or it could mean -- I accept all 28FB but I do not accept the idea of "ceasing to sin" before the 2nd coming -- or any variation of that.

4. Or it could mean -- I accept some of the 28FB -- just not the IJ.

Or it could mean -- ??

Well I guess that is the question for this thread -- if you are moderate SDA -- what do you mean by that?

If you are not moderate-SDA what do you think the term means?

If you consider yourself moderate -- how do you suppose that differs from "progressive"?

(Maybe we need a similar thread for "progressive"?)

in Christ,

Bob

I consider myself a moderate adventist, mainly because I see the Evangelical Adventists as nothing more than evangelicals. And because I'm too liberal too consider myself a Traditional Adventist. When it comes to theological issues like the IJ, and the like, I am pretty much with the traditionals; however when it comes to tho social issues like womens ordination, wine in the Bible, not to mention anything political, I am most definitely on the liberal side of things.

Basically, I could go with point 2 of your list there.

I guessed that a lot of people were probably going to go for "Door number 2" when it comes to "Moderate".

:)

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

To be a moderate adventist means you don't believe all of what they teach and you want out

Well that is how a self-described ex-SDA would describe them - but not how Moderate SDAs describe themselves apparently.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What would you use to define moderate vs liberal - if you already claim your version of moderate does not accept the 28 fundamental beliefs? Isn't that the definition for liberal/progressive?

A lot of moderates are not "Heartland conservative" yet they accept all the 28 Fundamental beliefs.

Upvote 0