• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Are workout programs that cost money worth it?

Milos

Nov 10, 2016
Chicago
✟22,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I found plenty of free programs published online. I'm currently doing fierce 5 from bodybuilding.com

But I wonder if it would be better if I bought a program like athlean-x that costs money. I don't know if I should.

Someone on the forum said there is no secret formula or routine that will build muscle any faster. And some think that this fierce 5 routine that they recommended me to the start might be the best routine I could do.

Maybe I should just stop searching for a program and stick with the one I already got?

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found plenty of free programs published online. I'm currently doing fierce 5 from bodybuilding.com

But I wonder if it would be better if I bought a program like athlean-x that costs money. I don't know if I should.

Someone on the forum said there is no secret formula or routine that will build muscle any faster. And some think that this fierce 5 routine that they recommended me to the start might be the best routine I could do.

Maybe I should just stop searching for a program and stick with the one I already got?

I think you can inform yourself enough not to need a paid program. If you haven’t come across it ‘starting strength - basic barbell training’ by Mark Rippetoe is the single best book I’ve come across on strength and muscle development. It goes into the body mechanics of major strength and muscle building exercises like the squat etc as well as explaining proper technique. Knowing how it all works can make it clearer which program to follow.
I previously trained for stamina mostly, doing boxing in my teens and then hiking a lot in various countries. I only switched to strength training later in life when I went into farming and found that book invaluable. I’ve since read a lot on the subject and here are my take-aways -

• You can do far more and push yourself harder than seems possible. Don’t short change your training - a coach or training partner can be invaluable in ensuring you don’t slack off. To really make your body develop you have to go past what you feel you can manage.
  • Proper technique is essential- combining pushing yourself hard with bad technique is a recipe for serious injury
  • Sets of 4-6 reps are optimal for strength and muscle growth
  • Nutrition and rest - when you’re training hard 8-10 hours sleep if you can - are vital, as is a balanced diet with large doses of protein.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I looked at one of his videos "Do this EVERY morning," and I thought it made good sense, especially about drinking water first thing after you roll out of bed bc we are always going to be dehydrated.

Some of his youtube videos look very good too in that you can target certain areas of muscle.

I thought all I needed to do was crunches for abs, but they didn't tone me all up and down the rectus abdominus at all.

I finally discovered a video showing that if I first engaged my lower back muscles by holding a stability ball between my lower legs, and then curling that ball upwards-I was using the lower abs in a targeted way.

Its made a huge difference in that my low back pain disappered!!

Moist heat, ice packs, heating pads and PT did nothing, as well as planks and crunches.

I needed to get that sway back out of my back by laying flat, and squeezing the medium sized ball first with both legs fully extended and then rolling it upwards, towards my chest

My exercise that really made a difference, is like this one, only my legs go back from being at my chest, straight, or extended

the straight legs with the ball between the calves is harder and more targeted.

Curl upwards as you bring your legs inwards

• Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
tom, Im using a trainer and so far we had to start at a very low level and I moved from 3-5 lb hand weights for arms to 8-10 ponds.

only after going to 2 sets of ten am I seeing any definition at all, but its noticeable.

I just do bicep curls and hammer curls and then triceps throw backs and deltoid raises to the front and to the side.

My woman arms were so weak, I couldn't open a jar my grip strength was so poor.

My grip strength is still not good, but it feels like when i grab a handweight and lift, my grip is getting stronger....is this possible?

Upvote 0

Milos

Nov 10, 2016
Chicago
✟22,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think so, gradually my grip strength seemed to increase during training without focusing directly on forearms. But I find rock climbing/bouldering activities help a lot for grip strength, you just need to be careful when climbing because improper grip form can damage the tendons and ligaments.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you taking in enough protein? (Protein Shakes/food?) I take 1 gram of protein per body pound. But it really depends on your goals. I also used to watch videos on fitnessblender's channel. They're free and easy to follow.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No , there are plenty of exercises within reach of 5-10 min research on youtube for free .
People love to pay to get themselfes motivated , like they buy year of gym and quit after two months .

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

My nephew is a trainer and he has all kinds of clients with all kinds of goals. many buy sessions for the motivation and encouragement a trainer can give. Others have no clue what to do and need help designing a program that builds them up over time and the program is being modified as they progress. This costs some money and if you can afford it a monthly session might be a good idea where they can see what you are doing and what progress you are making and they can help you make modifications over time to improve your program as you are ready.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tom, Im using a trainer and so far we had to start at a very low level and I moved from 3-5 lb hand weights for arms to 8-10 ponds.

only after going to 2 sets of ten am I seeing any definition at all, but its noticeable.

I just do bicep curls and hammer curls and then triceps throw backs and deltoid raises to the front and to the side.

My woman arms were so weak, I couldn't open a jar my grip strength was so poor.

My grip strength is still not good, but it feels like when i grab a handweight and lift, my grip is getting stronger....is this possible?

Barbell training with heavy weights improves grip strength, using machines doesn’t but your dumbbell work should also result in some improved grip strength. If you really want to focus on grip strength use a fat barbell for curls, or wrap a towel tightly around a standard barbell or curl bar for lifting.
Doing sets of 8-10 reps won’t result in as much improvement in strength or definition as would stepping up to weights that you can only manage 4-6 reps with. High reps just don’t put your muscles under enough stress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums