Are women treated unfairly in the Bible?

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1. It wasn't the devil's lure to sin, it was just a serpent. Genesis never indicates it being anything more than that.

2. Have you read Numbers 31, or any of the other more questionable things in the Bible?

3. Are you sexist?
Catch a grip. EVERYBODY knows that the serpent was satan. Do you even read the Bible? And what's with the sexist part?? WHAT is so sexist about telling it as it is???????

Upvote 0

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not the Biblical definition of Christian.

And they were never called righteous for doing such a thing. They made unrighteous choices.

Would need an exact verse to know what you are referring to here. But is the historical/cultural context for when this was written the same as it is here in the West today? No. They did not have the same level of knowledge for sanitary processes as we do today.

Again would need to understand the exact passage and the cultural context you are referring to.

Yes, and none of those passages are saying that birth is a sinful or disgusting thing not designed by God.

Again, cultural context matters. (Did you mean 9 months?)

I don't know the specific words exchanged in your counseling sessions. However, we are all called to submit to God. Wives are called to submit to their husbands. Moreover, Husbands are to lead their wives as Christ is the head of the church. Note however, this is not worldly submission. Moreover, the husband is never commanded to make sure the wife submits to him (that is between God and the wife). The wife is not called to be an oppressed slave who is beaten regularly by her husband, that is not what the Bible says, nor what the Bible implies. If the husband is leading his wife, as Christ leads the church, protecting, nurturing, healing, exhorting, encouraging and serving, then why would a wife reject that? The husband is never given the right or command to berate, insult, humiliate, abuse or degrade his wife. The wife is never given the right to disrespect, undermine, or humiliate her husband.

Husband and wife are equal in regards to their humanity. God made Eve from Adam's rib. God did not make Eve from Adam's head, so that she would not rule over him. God also did not make Eve from Adam's foot, so that Adam would keep Eve oppressed and down trodden. God made Eve from Adam's side, so that they are equal in nature and being. However, God has defined roles for men and women. Men are made to be leaders and protectors with humilty. Women are made to be nurturers and comforters and child bearers. The genius of God's design is the compatible nature of husband and wife. And the difference in a woman's role in the marriage does not make her inferior in nature to the man.
My reply got all jumbled up, I'm still learning how to use this site.

You seem in one breath to be saying something isn't biblical, but in another saying things have to be taken in cultural context. Were the laws of Leviticus not Divinely inspired then? I'm not saying we still have to follow them, btw. I just don't think cultural context applies. You either take the Bible literally, or you don't.

As for not being biblical when I say I was born a Christian, you are right. It is not biblical. But I'm not sure what your point is about hammering this home. Do I need to edit my OP to say "I was born into a Christian home?" Does it bother you that much?

Upvote 0

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry that you have experienced the negative side of this, but I would argue it does happen correctly, not perfectly, but it does happen (even if you have not personally witnessed it). Even if it does not happen, that only shows the sinfulness and fallenness of man, it does not show a flaw with Biblical teachings.
I agree with this, I just think people who haven't experienced the unbiblical way that people live have a difficult time understanding those who want to live, or get to, a biblical life. They are like, "hey, follow the plan in the Bible." Sure...when the crazy people in my crazy life also follow it...lol! I'm just thinking of some examples in my head with kids I know.

Even with my own life...you can not biblically tell me to honor my father and mother, for example, when my mother stood and cursed at me last week and told me to get off her property when I stopped to see how she was after a bad storm. We were trapped in our home for 4.5 hours. Finally got out, made my way to my mom's to check on her. Was told I didn't come soon enough, I don't care, and to get the you know what off her property. She's crazy. We were literally trapped by 4 fallen trees and downed power lines. Biblically I should put up with that. Realistically I'm not.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
This may not be a debate, but first time poster here and I'm curious on your thoughts. Please feel free to move if need be.

Struggling a lot in my marriage, was getting pastoral counseling through our church. I've always been a Christian, but not much of a Bible reader. Recently I've rectified that. I was honestly shocked at how women were treated in the Bible. And how they are commanded to behave.

I won't get into details except to say during our counseling sessions, I have repeatedly been told to submit, Ephesians 5, yada yada. I have done that. My husband was told to work on some things and he didn't. I showed frustration in a session and was told, "You should be grateful your husband is coming home every night. That he's not with other women."

I spent 2 days after hearing this pouring over every time women were mentioned in the Bible. My takeaway is a complete challenge to my faith. I do not see love for women in the Bible. I see women offered up to be raped, women held as "less than", and told to submit at all times, even when husbands are cruel or unfair. It appears to me that a suffering woman is pleasing to God. So that is my debate question: Is a suffering woman pleasing to God? Is that His desire?

the short answer to such a response is of course: "I would be grateful to have a husband who loved me like Christ loved the Church. That means that he puts his life on the line every day of our marriage, that he sees to it that I am well provisioned, protected, and cared for; that our home is sufficiently kept up to building codes, that we have heat, water, AC, and sufficient funds to cover our necessary expenses. In addition I expect to have a husband who provides for my need for marital companionship as promised in our wedding vows, and tends to my desires so that I am not left wanting."

That should set them back on their heels, and cause some self evaluation along the way to see if they themselves are doing these things in their own homes.;)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Friendly hugs for the marriage problems. We went to non-Christian counseling for years and it was always (both men and women counselors) attacking my husband, telling him he's "wrong" and feelings, feelings, feelings. Ugh. Wasn't helpful. Don't get me wrong, when you're battling with your spouse, it's nice to have an outside source tell them they are wrong - but it's not helpful. It didn't change anything.

So we started the church counseling. Real Bible based church. They are not afraid to state scripture and I like that.

I think the issue with the pastor here (we have several pastors), is that he can not imagine a situation like my husband - where he doesn't want to lead, doesn't know how, has never led. I'm very frustrated with the pastor, for sure, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is assuming my husband knows about leading and how to lead, and even wants that.

I actually don't think submission is an issue - in a healthy marriage. But you need someone to submit to...if I didn't lead in the marriage, literally nothing would get done. Now we have circumstances that shaped who we both are - and they aren't necessarily pretty. But we can't let outside forces shape us forever.

I posted up above that since the counseling meeting, my husband and I have seen more growth in less than a week than we have in years. He saw my reaction to the counseling session and studied and thought about what his leadership role should really be. So what I thought was so disheartening, God used for good. This weekend my husband acted like the leader of our family. And a good one!

...it might be that your pastor's "gifts" are not really in the area of counseling. Maybe he's better at other stuff in leading your church. Not all pastors have the empathy, insight, or education to be counselors, especially in the area of marriage which has many interlaced factors to contend with.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Friendly hugs for the marriage problems. We went to non-Christian counseling for years and it was always (both men and women counselors) attacking my husband, telling him he's "wrong" and feelings, feelings, feelings. Ugh. Wasn't helpful. Don't get me wrong, when you're battling with your spouse, it's nice to have an outside source tell them they are wrong - but it's not helpful. It didn't change anything.

So we started the church counseling. Real Bible based church. They are not afraid to state scripture and I like that.

I think the issue with the pastor here (we have several pastors), is that he can not imagine a situation like my husband - where he doesn't want to lead, doesn't know how, has never led. I'm very frustrated with the pastor, for sure, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is assuming my husband knows about leading and how to lead, and even wants that.

I actually don't think submission is an issue - in a healthy marriage. But you need someone to submit to...if I didn't lead in the marriage, literally nothing would get done. Now we have circumstances that shaped who we both are - and they aren't necessarily pretty. But we can't let outside forces shape us forever.

I posted up above that since the counseling meeting, my husband and I have seen more growth in less than a week than we have in years. He saw my reaction to the counseling session and studied and thought about what his leadership role should really be. So what I thought was so disheartening, God used for good. This weekend my husband acted like the leader of our family. And a good one!
I'm very happy that this is working out for you..

Funny, I am in an opposite situation where I cannot take the role of leader, unless it is under the conditions and parameters of my wife. This makes my position more of Butler than husband and father.

Well, we take each day as it comes and behave the way God wants us to..... heaven will be a well awaited paradise.

Upvote 0

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm very happy that this is working out for you..

Funny, I am in an opposite situation where I cannot take the role of leader, unless it is under the conditions and parameters of my wife. This makes my position more of Butler than husband and father.

Well, we take each day as it comes and behave the way God wants us to..... heaven will be a well awaited paradise.
That is tough but don't lose hope. I was a woman who really feared giving up control due to a bad father. First I gave it away at the beginning of our marriage, but my husband didn't know how to lead, so we've been a hot mess in a strange power struggle.

We've been married 10 years (not sure about you). We're just starting to see some light, but 7 months ago we had a divorce all worked out. Sometimes you go really low before you get any traction.

I'm not saying this is your wife, either, but I think most women like when a man takes control, no matter what we appear to say.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is tough but don't lose hope. I was a woman who really feared giving up control due to a bad father. First I gave it away at the beginning of our marriage, but my husband didn't know how to lead, so we've been a hot mess in a strange power struggle.

We've been married 10 years (not sure about you). We're just starting to see some light, but 7 months ago we had a divorce all worked out. Sometimes you go really low before you get any traction.

I'm not saying this is your wife, either, but I think most women like when a man takes control, no matter what we appear to say.

I've been married for 48 years so I think that I'm qualified to say something about this. Above all, our marriage has been a partnership, with neither one of us taking control. There are certain things that I'm better at than my wife, and certain things that she's better at than me, so we let the other person lead in those areas. Then there are other areas which we share equally, such as cooking and doing the dishes.. (Actually she's slightly better at cooking and I'm slightly better at doing the dishes, but the difference is negligible.)

When crises have come, then we join together strongly and get through them, the most recent being my triple-bypass surgery and long recovery period. We both have a very strong faith in God and make a sincere effort to follow our Lord through the guidance of the Holy Spirit through good times and bad.

Above all, we really love each other. There isn't a single day where I don't think to myself that I am so fortunate to spend every day with the most wonderful person I have ever known.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may not be a debate, but first time poster here and I'm curious on your thoughts. Please feel free to move if need be.

Struggling a lot in my marriage, was getting pastoral counseling through our church. I've always been a Christian, but not much of a Bible reader. Recently I've rectified that. I was honestly shocked at how women were treated in the Bible. And how they are commanded to behave.

I won't get into details except to say during our counseling sessions, I have repeatedly been told to submit, Ephesians 5, yada yada. I have done that. My husband was told to work on some things and he didn't. I showed frustration in a session and was told, "You should be grateful your husband is coming home every night. That he's not with other women."

I spent 2 days after hearing this pouring over every time women were mentioned in the Bible. My takeaway is a complete challenge to my faith. I do not see love for women in the Bible. I see women offered up to be raped, women held as "less than", and told to submit at all times, even when husbands are cruel or unfair. It appears to me that a suffering woman is pleasing to God. So that is my debate question: Is a suffering woman pleasing to God? Is that His desire?

Long ago culture was far worse.
Slavery was universal around the world. The poor were often left to beg and starve to death.

Women could be treated like chattel, and children also.

But this has changed. Why has more and more of humanity, far more than 2,000 years ago, began to do this --

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

Why do many people now do this ideal?

Christ changed the world.

While Paul wrote in his epistles for even slaves to just remain slaves, for women to remain in traditional roles at that time, and other things we now have moved past, what was Paul's goal at that time?

Paul wanted the slaves, the oppressed, women too, to show Christ to their owners, and convert them, and thus change the world one person at a time.

But, later, once the slave owner was converted, then, finally, a new relationship would arise, as shown in the very short, 1 page epistle Philemon.

So it is also with the changed situation in churches. Once the liberation of women would overwhelm the weak and uncertain faith of newly converted Jewish men 2,000 years ago. So, therefore, women were to remain in their traditional roles, for that time.

Now....it's different. Now the only kinds of things 99% of Christian women might need to consider is merely to not dress in too seductive a manner, for example. Just modesty, for both genders, that virtue. They don't have to be silent now to help prejudiced men of weak faith. Not anymore. None of us should be argumentative, but a woman can now lead a service without destroying the faith of any men, because now we no longer have slaves as the norm, nor oppression of women as the norm.

Change from within, over time. Through Christ.

That's how we got here. That's how our culture is so improved over 2,000 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Were the laws of Leviticus not Divinely inspired then?

Yes.

I'm not saying we still have to follow them, btw. I just don't think cultural context applies.

Then you are not reading the Bible as the author intended (exegetically), but rather reading your own meaning into it (eisegetically). This is not how the Bible is to treated or read, if this is what you are doing.

As for not being biblical when I say I was born a Christian, you are right. It is not biblical. But I'm not sure what your point is about hammering this home. Do I need to edit my OP to say "I was born into a Christian home?" Does it bother you that much?

It is definitional and foundational to the Christian faith. No one is a Christian because their parents were Christian. No one is a Christian simply because they were brought up in a Christian home. No one is a Christian simply because they were baptized. No one is a Christian simply because they go to church. Becoming a Christian is a radical change in the person's heart. It is a radical change to go from death to life and it is the work of God by His grace in Jesus Christ alone. It is not a product of environment or the individual's works.

I am not saying that you are not a Christian, I don't know your heart. However if your faith is based on being baptized as a baby, being brought up in a Christian home, going to church, not really reading the Bible all that much, without a radical change in your heart to hate your sin and to love God and the things of God solely because of the work of grace done by God, then you are not demonstrating that you are indeed a Christian. And if you are not truly a Christian, you will never accept the things of God. So to speak against the truth of the Bible is to demonstrate that you are not walking with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Catch a grip. EVERYBODY knows that the serpent was satan. Do you even read the Bible? And what's with the sexist part?? WHAT is so sexist about telling it as it is???????

I could ask "Do you even read the Bible?" as well. First, if I recall correctly there is only one point, ONE where it's implied the serpent was Satan. And that was in Revelation. This is problematic for several reasons:

1. Revelation almost wasn't in the Bible to begin with

2. It was a surrealist vision

3. It was written centuries after Genesis

4. Genesis itself was written down centuries after the supposed events

5. Before Genesis the stories were passed down orally. It's like the game Telephone. In that game a sentence can be jumbled up in meaning over a few minutes with around 10 people. Multiply that over thousands of people over several hundred years, and you get a heavily distorted story from what actually happened, if it did at all.

6. Every mention of the serpent in Genesis indicates it was just a serpent. Calling it "the craftiest of all the beasts of the field the Lord God had made", indicating it was one of those beasts of the field. God cursing the serpent to slither on the ground, providing an explanation as to why snakes slither today (also saying that they east dust while their tongue is actually used for smelling, but...) wouldn't be a punishment that makes sense if the serpent was Satan shapeshifted.

As for the sexist part, let's take a look at your post again:

Maybe you see all this because it was the woman who succumbed to the devil's lure to sin and who gave the forbidden fruit to Adam. For THIS reason also, mothers endure some harsh labour pains.

You're basically using the Genesis account as an excuse for women to be seen as inferior, which is the terrible justification that was used throughout the Bible to begin with.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Long ago culture was far worse.
Slavery was universal around the world. The poor were often left to beg and starve to death.

Women could be treated like chattel, and children also.

But this has changed. Why has more and more of humanity, far more than 2,000 years ago, began to do this --

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

Why do many people now do this ideal?

Christ changed the world.

While Paul wrote in his epistles for even slaves to just remain slaves, woman to remain in traditional roles, and other things we now have moved past, what was Paul's goal at that time?

Paul wanted the slaves, the oppressed, women too, to show Christ to their owners, and convert them, and thus change the world one person at a time.

But, later, once the slave owner was converted, then, finally, a new relationship would arise, as shown in the very short, 1 page epistle Philemon.

So it is also with the changed situation in churches. Once the liberation of women would overwhelm the weak and uncertain faith of newly converted Jewish men 2,000 years ago. So, therefore, women were to remain in their traditional roles, for that time.

Now....it's different. Now the only kinds of things 99% of Christian women might need to consider is merely to not dress in too seductive a manner, for example. Just modesty, for both genders, that virtue. They don't have to be silent now to help prejudiced men of weak faith. Not anymore. None of us should be argumentative, but a woman can now lead a service without destroying the faith of any men, because now we no longer have slaves as the norm, nor oppression of women as the norm.

Change from within, over time. Through Christ.

That's how we got here. That's how our culture is so improved over 2,000 years ago.

I wonder why Jesus didn't abolish slavery though? According to the Bible at least, he said for slaves to be obedient to their masters.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even with my own life...you can not biblically tell me to honor my father and mother, for example, when my mother stood and cursed at me last week and told me to get off her property when I stopped to see how she was after a bad storm. We were trapped in our home for 4.5 hours. Finally got out, made my way to my mom's to check on her. Was told I didn't come soon enough, I don't care, and to get the you know what off her property. She's crazy. We were literally trapped by 4 fallen trees and downed power lines. Biblically I should put up with that. Realistically I'm not.

Biblical love and respect is not based on what that other person provides to you. It is based on the love of God He granted to us while we were dead in our sins and trespasses against Him. He loved us first while we were rebel sinners, enemies against Him. There was nothing in us, in and of ourselves, that caused God to love us. God's love for us was based solely and completely in Him. When we love our fellow human beings with a Biblically defined love, it is a selfless love, not a love that seeks to get something from that other individual (that is not love, but rather selfishness).

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why Jesus didn't abolish slavery though? According to the Bible at least, he said for slaves to be obedient to their masters.

That's actually from letters from the apostles to the churches -- that instruction slaves should remain slaves, women remain traditional, etc. Peter's and Paul's epistles.

But have you read the 1 page book in the New Testament called Philemon? You can read it in about 1 minute.

It's surprising, because it is from the same writer who wrote that slaves should remain slaves....

How does it make sense? Why did Paul seem to do a 180 degree turn?

Why?

Because of conversion of the slave owner.

But it does not convert slave owners into freeing their slaves by telling them slavery is wrong. That will not convert them. That will not save them.

Only Christ can save them. No other thing can.

Instead, only the Spirit will finally convert them over time into full (mature) faith in the One Who told us: "So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you".....and then those who truly believe will eventually more and more free their own slaves (and many did, voluntarily, because of the change inside themselves). Of course not a majority of people believe in a true, mature way....

Revolution from within. Philemon is evidence of that process. Paul didn't write, 'return to your owner and be a slave'. He wrote something rather more surprising.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Then you are not reading the Bible as the author intended (exegetically), but rather reading your own meaning into it (eisegetically). This is not how the Bible is to treated or read, if this is what you are doing.

It is definitional and foundational to the Christian faith. No one is a Christian because their parents were Christian. No one is a Christian simply because they were brought up in a Christian home. No one is a Christian simply because they were baptized. No one is a Christian simply because they go to church. Becoming a Christian is a radical change in the person's heart. It is a radical change to go from death to life and it is the work of God by His grace in Jesus Christ alone. It is not a product of environment or the individual's works.

I am not saying that you are not a Christian, I don't know your heart. However if your faith is based on being baptized as a baby, being brought up in a Christian home, going to church, not really reading the Bible all that much, without a radical change in your heart to hate your sin and to love God and the things of God solely because of the work of grace done by God, then you are not demonstrating that you are indeed a Christian. And if you are not truly a Christian, you will never accept the things of God. So to speak against the truth of the Bible is to demonstrate that you are not walking with the Lord Jesus Christ.
There is a lot of words here, but I will respond with: I know what it means to be a Christian. Daily I question what that means to me as opposed to yesterday.

I don't think I implied I don't accept anything in the Bible, or anything of God. Quite the opposite. I also think it's important - and vital - to question what that means to me.

You know the definition of being a Christian, but it doesn't make you a "better" Christian. I would argue it makes you stagnant. The Christians who are always searching, we are truly trying to deepen our relationship with Christ.

I'm just going to assume you were speaking generally, for those who may not understand the biblical meaning of being a Christian, and not to me, individually. Because you can't possibly know what is in anyone's heart.

Also in my very first post I wrote about reading the Bible "recently I rectified that". In response to another post of yours, I wrote that I've been attending very biblical based churches for 6-7 years.

So you can personally feel better about this conversation...I have been baptized as an adult. I can also tell you that every time I sin, I feel like the most worthless person on the planet. So yeah...I hate my sin. And although I struggle daily with accepting grace vs. works, I accept it. And I will state again, to be very clear for you, I do - and am currently- reading the Bible.

You seem like you want to call me out on being a Christian, so I thought I would clarify for you. Something tells me I still won't measure up to your standards, and that's okay. It's not your standards I'm concerned about ;)

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know the definition of being a Christian, but it doesn't make you a "better" Christian.

I did not say (or imply) that I was a better Christian.

The Christians who are always searching, we are truly trying to deepen our relationship with Christ.

I don't disagree that the walk with Jesus Christ is living and breathing thing, continually deepening, continually sanctifying.

I'm just going to assume you were speaking generally, for those who may not understand the biblical meaning of being a Christian, and not to me, individually. Because you can't possibly know what is in anyone's heart.

As I wrote in my previous comment, I did not claim to know your heart or anyone else. But if they are walking in contradiction to what the Bible teaches, it is a pretty fair indicator that they are not in Christ. Not talking about perfectly walking with Christ, always looking to Christ, though they stumble in sin.

Also in my very first post I wrote about reading the Bible "recently I rectified that". In response to another post of yours, I wrote that I've been attending very biblical based churches for 6-7 years.

Ok.

So you can personally feel better about this conversation...I have been baptized as an adult. I can also tell you that every time I sin, I feel like the most worthless person on the planet. So yeah...I hate my sin. And although I struggle daily with accepting grace vs. works, I accept it. And I will state again, to be very clear for you, I do - and am currently- reading the Bible.

Ok, then I apparently misconstrued some of your earlier statements, so I apologize if I misrepresented you specifically. Again, I wrote previously that I did not know your heart.

So you can personally feel better about this conversation

My feelings do not matter. I have a passion for God's truth and how it is presented. My feelings are irrelevant.

You seem like you want to call me out on being a Christian, so I thought I would clarify for you.

No. I just don't like to see the Bible misrepresented nor do I like assertions without scripture to back it up.

Something tells me I still won't measure up to your standards, and that's okay. It's not your standards I'm concerned about

I never said you had to measure up to my standards, that would be a Straw Man fallacy.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is my takeaway from my very first post here:
1) Wow, the Bible is viewed very differently, depending on who is reading it

2) All of you have been very helpful

3) This topic warrants some further outside reading on my own

Paul also wrote for slaves to remain slaves, and for women to remain in traditional roles for that time (Paul, not Christ), and then...
...then later he wrote the 1 page book Philemon. It's the opposite!

Reversing what he had wrote before.

Why? I try to answer why in post #130 above. Or you could digest 1 Corinthians chapter 8, and in time figure it out.

The original instructions were temporary!

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul also wrote for slaves to remain slaves, and for women to remain in traditional roles for that time (Paul, not Christ), and then...
...then later he wrote the 1 page book Philemon. It's the opposite!

Reversing what he had wrote before.

Why? I try to answer why in post #130 above. Or you could digest 1 Corinthians chapter 8, and in time figure it out.

The original instructions were temporary!

I do not believe the original instructions were temporary.........since Paul gave the reason why women are not to usurp authority over men. Because Eve was the one deceived, not Adam. And Eve was made for Adam, not Adam for Eve. Women are more susceptible to deception......the very qualities that make us good helpmeets and caregivers also make us more vulnerable in certain ways. Men are better suited to steer the ship, and we are better suited to be helpmeets. Doesn't mean we are inferior.....man is born of woman.....so man is not without the woman and woman is not without the man.....we both need each other. But it is for our good and the good of church and home that men take the helm. In this way also we keep the pattern of marriage showing forth as a living parable, the relationship between Christ and the church.

Reactions: Beaker
Upvote 0