Are women treated unfairly in the Bible?

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This may not be a debate, but first time poster here and I'm curious on your thoughts. Please feel free to move if need be.

Struggling a lot in my marriage, was getting pastoral counseling through our church. I've always been a Christian, but not much of a Bible reader. Recently I've rectified that. I was honestly shocked at how women were treated in the Bible. And how they are commanded to behave.

I won't get into details except to say during our counseling sessions, I have repeatedly been told to submit, Ephesians 5, yada yada. I have done that. My husband was told to work on some things and he didn't. I showed frustration in a session and was told, "You should be grateful your husband is coming home every night. That he's not with other women."

I spent 2 days after hearing this pouring over every time women were mentioned in the Bible. My takeaway is a complete challenge to my faith. I do not see love for women in the Bible. I see women offered up to be raped, women held as "less than", and told to submit at all times, even when husbands are cruel or unfair. It appears to me that a suffering woman is pleasing to God. So that is my debate question: Is a suffering woman pleasing to God? Is that His desire?
I believe that God loves women equally to men, but I believe that the Bible has been re-written and interpreted and translated by men who wanted women to be less than men. Anyone who tells you to be grateful that your husband comes home and doesn't stay out all night should not be counseling *anyone.* You might say the same thing: your husband should be grateful that YOU are there every day. Where does such nonsense get anyone? Marriage shouldn't be based on gratitude that the normal courtesies of daily life are observed by either party. It should go a lot deeper than that.

Do your own study, read around and please think about getting counseling someplace other than this, because this sounds to me like one of those men who interpreted the Bible so that he could rule over women, rather than live in peace with her.

This kind of thing is why I don't even call myself a Christian any longer. Because many facets of Christianity simply appall me.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Women are more sinful since the time of Eve, the Bible says. It also says that from that excessive sinfulness the way to be saved is through childbirth.
The Biblr says no such thing.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you see all this because it was the woman who succumbed to the devil's lure to sin and who gave the forbidden fruit to Adam. For THIS reason also, mothers endure some harsh labour pains.

1. It wasn't the devil's lure to sin, it was just a serpent. Genesis never indicates it being anything more than that.

2. Have you read Numbers 31, or any of the other more questionable things in the Bible?

3. Are you sexist?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believe that God loves women equally to men, but I believe that the Bible has been re-written and interpreted and translated by men who wanted women to be less than men. Anyone who tells you to be grateful that your husband comes home and doesn't stay out all night should not be counseling *anyone.* You might say the same thing: your husband should be grateful that YOU are there every day. Where does such nonsense get anyone? Marriage shouldn't be based on gratitude that the normal courtesies of daily life are observed by either party. It should go a lot deeper than that.

Do your own study, read around and please think about getting counseling someplace other than this, because this sounds to me like one of those men who interpreted the Bible so that he could rule over women, rather than live in peace with her.

This kind of thing is why I don't even call myself a Christian any longer. Because many facets of Christianity simply appall me.

THIS. Namely with the Bible.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Justmeoverhere, I know so much about this.. just flipped. Been married over 30y. What I get is "you have to change your focus". That focus is JESUS. Sis.. JESUS is real. He will just say.. WHAT do you want? He loves you so much. This LOVE we show the other.. it comes not from us but HIM. To love the one we hate.. to love when you get NOTHING but pain.. and so many thing being said..done to you. A good song playing know by Danny gokey RISE!

But.. for me.. I SO WISH I could say I did this all my life.. but I didnt. I didnt see till I was 55. That was.. in the middle of all this pain.. its almost like everything stopped. This was its.. this is it.. this is what LOVE is. If this is the best she will ever be.. I will LOVE HER as Christ loves me. I will never want for my self but give all to her. I LOVE HER! We SAY we love.. its easy.. but in the middle of the battle.. you find out what YOU really are. You find.. you cant. I have never felt ..well one other time I as 25. But never such love. I dont know how to say it. I could see past her.. to who she really was...

But.. to for me to get to that moment.. wow.. I .. I want to say hate.. but thats the wrong word. I dont write good or speak blah blah blah. But I do know your pain. And sis...its JESUS.. I dont know how to say this.. or make this so REAL. But HE IS SO REAL! He can change anyone heart. Proof?

My son was like 4-5 and one day after I picked him up. It was always me taking and picking them up. I HAD to be mom and dad. I got that mothers bond. Anyway.. shared to much.. so Jake tells me about Adena. How much he really likes her. OH it was so cute. But.. she would have nothing to do with him. So .. as in all things I can only speak on what I know. So I said.. shes young.. so she will hear when He whispers to her. And she will listen. Well one day picking him up.. she gets up at the same time.. comes over and HUGS HIM! THAT WAS IT FOR HIM! Made his world!

Were still babies.. just harder for us to hear when He talks. We dont listen. Well.. we let this world get in the way. We tell HIM to many times what HE can do or cant do. And He will say nothing. But. for you sis.. if you like.. if you ask. What is this "whisper?" HAHA NO CLUE.. never asked and I think He would say. Not any over your business to me.

You are so in right standing with your FATHER.. ABBA! HE is right with you. For someone.. He has heard EVERY TEAR...on that pillow and in the car. I will be praying. But.. what do YOU want? And like He told Abrahams wife.. what is there that is to hard for GOD? Have faith.. GOD WILL turn your sorrow in to joy.. for you strength is comes from your Fathers Joy. HE IS REAL! I will be praying. SEEK Jesus.. Seek 1st the kingdom of GOD and HIS righteousness. And then all these things will be added unto you. So GIVE all this to Him. Like when you pick up your car keys.. you have no doubt no thought about your car starting. So.. do the same.. know that if you GIVE cast all your cares on HIM... HE WILL take care of ALL of them. DONT go by what I say or any man.. Go by what His WORD SAYS!

Stand on that! HE will NEVER fail you! HE cant lie! If MY GOD says something.. I DONT care what this world says.. I WILL stand.. give up ALL for HIM! HE WILL deliver you.. HE will help..

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have a different Biblr then... 1 Timothy 2
No, I just take the time to actually read what theBible says, and it does not say that women are more sinful then men as was claimed in the post to which I was responding.

• Winner
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This may not be a debate, but first time poster here and I'm curious on your thoughts. Please feel free to move if need be.

Struggling a lot in my marriage, was getting pastoral counseling through our church. I've always been a Christian, but not much of a Bible reader. Recently I've rectified that. I was honestly shocked at how women were treated in the Bible. And how they are commanded to behave.

I won't get into details except to say during our counseling sessions, I have repeatedly been told to submit, Ephesians 5, yada yada. I have done that. My husband was told to work on some things and he didn't. I showed frustration in a session and was told, "You should be grateful your husband is coming home every night. That he's not with other women."

I spent 2 days after hearing this pouring over every time women were mentioned in the Bible. My takeaway is a complete challenge to my faith. I do not see love for women in the Bible. I see women offered up to be raped, women held as "less than", and told to submit at all times, even when husbands are cruel or unfair. It appears to me that a suffering woman is pleasing to God. So that is my debate question: Is a suffering woman pleasing to God? Is that His desire?
I am surprised to here this side of a story like this.

I, too, have marriage problems. However, I have found the opposite.

Not that I think women should be second class or anything but equal. But that the churches and the courts have had the pendulum swing far to the other side now. The churches that I have been to counseling with are absolutely fearful of telling a "contemptuous woman" that she is supposed to submit to her husband.

Again, don't get me wrong. There is nothing in our house from groceries, laundry, cooking and dishes... from one end of the spectrum to the other, that I think a man should not do. He can and should be just as responsible for any and all of these, depending on who is not busy at the time or who is home.

However, I have yet to have a pastor, or councilor tell me "ON RECORD" that when it comes down to brass tacks.... that one in one hundred decision, where the husband and wife cannot agree.... the husband is the leader and must break the deadlock with the decision that is "BEST for the HOUSEHOLD", not best for himself. He must then take FULL responsibility for this decision and any of the fall out or complications due to the decision he makes.

I have had lots of them tell me how there needs to be someone who is given the lead roll and that, biblically, it is the man's role and responsibility. They do this in normal conversation but will not in a formal council session with me and my wife.

I have been shut down and given half answers, hums and haws and double talk and never a straight answer. They always leave me coming out with my wife feeling like I have to do whatever makes her "FEEL" better.

We all know that you cannot run a house on what "feels" better. You cannot make "everyone" "feel" good. Some decisions are going to have to be made that others don't like.

Anyway, I have found that the courts are unbalanced in the woman's favor and the church is afraid to say anything that may be considered, by some, to put woman beneath the man.

To here that they are telling you that you should "be grateful" that you husband is coming home and not with another woman......that's just preposterous. Our church leaders would not even blink to tell him to that he has responsibilities to come home to his wife and that going elsewhere after work and being in the company of a woman with nobody else in attendance, even in a carpool or simple lunch is "out of the question".

Our men's groups always stress "accountability partners" for all men to keep them in line with biblical life choices.....Here, in Canada, in Southern Ontario, men are held to very high biblical standards as their role in the house as fathers and husbands is concerned.

May I suggest the movies "Fireproof" and "Courageous" and "The War Room"

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards to the original question, in what regards?
Did man treat woman in an unfair way? Yes.
Was unfair treatment of women commanded by God? No.
Is man sinful and fallen in his nature? Yes.

I've always been a Christian, but not much of a Bible reader.

What do you mean you have "always been" a Christian? From the Bible, this is impossible. No one is born a Christian. Jesus said in John 3 you must be born again, and adopted into the family of God.

Moreover, one who claims to have always been a Christian and not much of a Bible reader, that does not make any sense.

There is a great deal of difference in how one counsels and the truth of the Bible. There shouldn't be, but your Pastor is a fallen man just like all of us.

Needs some specific passage to know what you are referring to, but from these statements, it sounds like a lot of passages taken out of context and ignoring the cultural and historical setting for which the given passage was written.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Women are more sinful since the time of Eve, the Bible says. It also says that from that excessive sinfulness the way to be saved is through childbirth.

Chapter and verses please for women being more sinful than men.

It's time for you to do more in-depth exegesis and exposition to expose the silliness of your statement 'that from that excessive sinfulness [by Eve] the way to be saved is through childbirth'.

Sorry mate, the Bible teaches that salvation is by grace through faith (Eph 2:8-9).

1 Tim 2:15 (ESV) states, 'Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control'. The singular 'she' and the plural 'they' should be enough to alert you to something challenging in the interpretation.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I was honestly shocked at how women were treated in the Bible. And how they are commanded to behave.

Justme,

This is too generic for me to understand to which passages you refer. Which verses shock you about how women were treated in the Bible?

Why don't you start with just one specific passage.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
When I say "I am inclined to disagree" it means that my conclusion is not iron-clad. If I consider a wide variety of Biblical events, I think that there are some which fall into one category and others that fall into the other, with the ones representing women not being treated unfairly seeming to be the more prevalent.

Certainly, deciding what is "unfair" is likely to be hard to decide; it's not like being asked if more women than men are killed or something like that.

Thanks for clarifying.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

What do you mean you have "always been" a Christian? From the Bible, this is impossible. No one is born a Christian. Jesus said in John 3 you must be born again, and adopted into the family of God.

Moreover, one who claims to have always been a Christian and not much of a Bible reader, that does not make any sense.

There is a great deal of difference in how one counsels and the truth of the Bible. There shouldn't be, but your Pastor is a fallen man just like all of us.

Needs some specific passage to know what you are referring to, but from these statements, it sounds like a lot of passages taken out of context and ignoring the cultural and historical setting for which the given passage was written.

"Was unfair treatment of women commanded by God? No."

Have you ever read Numbers 31? Or Deuteronomy? Or Exodus?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi Hetta, you might look at some of the (academic) resources I pointed out to Justmeoverhere. There could be something in them that offers another, more equitable point of view on the subject.

(post #7) Are women treated unfairly in the Bible?

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi ChristianFromKazakhstan,

It's been a while since I've spoken to you. I hope you're doing well.

I just happened to see your posts in this thread so I thought I'd take a moment to say that I think the interpretation you're currently holding does need to be reconsidered in the light of additional factors and evidence within the overall bounds of the Scriptures. It fact, the book I suggested above in post #7 directly deals with this issue which Paul about writes to Timothy.

Being that you're in another country, I know you might not be able to just 'order it up'--I don't know, maybe you can from where you're at. But there are some additional hermeneutical factors to bring into the interpretive process that modify what Paul's text merely looks like as it sits in an "English" bible.

Just something to think about. I hope you're doing well where you're at. :)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Joe! I was born Catholic and immediately baptized, and raised in a Christian home. That is what I mean by always a Christian.

In the Catholic church, not much in depth Bible reading is done in church, and *my personal experience* (please don't take offense any other Catholics on here, but I have lived in several different states across the US and this is my experience) is that Bible reading is not highly encouraged. Particularly the Old Testament.

I am not currently Catholic as it just wasn't singing to my soul. I've been attending more Bible-based churches for the past 6-7 years.

I was never encouraged to read the Bible growing up, and didn't outside of church until a few years ago.

I was specifically talking about some of the items in the Old Testament that bothered me. There were 2 instances that a woman was offered up to be raped to a mob (Lot and a priest's concubine). Some really odd laws, like a woman is to be banished like a leper while she is on her period. If she has a male child, she is unclean for 7 days. If she has a female child, she is unclean for 14 days. Then for giving birth, a woman must (I can't remember the exact language) give offerings for being unclean. Birth is beautiful and designed by God, yes? Unclean seems harsh when you just endured 10 months of carrying a child. Also, Esphesians 5, which was repeatedly brought up in counseling for me, but not so much the part for my husband.

Since I'm on the subject, haha, it kind of annoys me that Eve takes a whole big ball of blame here. It's unfair, in my opinion. She was tricked - by a supernatural being - who was made to be the most powerful and wonderful being in Heaven outside of God. Who wouldn't fall for that? We are but mere twigs that the evil one steps on and plays with. Kind of an unfair battle for Eve.

Upvote 0

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am surprised to here this side of a story like this.

I, too, have marriage problems. However, I have found the opposite.

Not that I think women should be second class or anything but equal. But that the churches and the courts have had the pendulum swing far to the other side now. The churches that I have been to counseling with are absolutely fearful of telling a "contemptuous woman" that she is supposed to submit to her husband.

Again, don't get me wrong. There is nothing in our house from groceries, laundry, cooking and dishes... from one end of the spectrum to the other, that I think a man should not do. He can and should be just as responsible for any and all of these, depending on who is not busy at the time or who is home.

However, I have yet to have a pastor, or councilor tell me "ON RECORD" that when it comes down to brass tacks.... that one in one hundred decision, where the husband and wife cannot agree.... the husband is the leader and must break the deadlock with the decision that is "BEST for the HOUSEHOLD", not best for himself. He must then take FULL responsibility for this decision and any of the fall out or complications due to the decision he makes.

I have had lots of them tell me how there needs to be someone who is given the lead roll and that, biblically, it is the man's role and responsibility. They do this in normal conversation but will not in a formal council session with me and my wife.

I have been shut down and given half answers, hums and haws and double talk and never a straight answer. They always leave me coming out with my wife feeling like I have to do whatever makes her "FEEL" better.

We all know that you cannot run a house on what "feels" better. You cannot make "everyone" "feel" good. Some decisions are going to have to be made that others don't like.

Anyway, I have found that the courts are unbalanced in the woman's favor and the church is afraid to say anything that may be considered, by some, to put woman beneath the man.

To here that they are telling you that you should "be grateful" that you husband is coming home and not with another woman......that's just preposterous. Our church leaders would not even blink to tell him to that he has responsibilities to come home to his wife and that going elsewhere after work and being in the company of a woman with nobody else in attendance, even in a carpool or simple lunch is "out of the question".

Our men's groups always stress "accountability partners" for all men to keep them in line with biblical life choices.....Here, in Canada, in Southern Ontario, men are held to very high biblical standards as their role in the house as fathers and husbands is concerned.

May I suggest the movies "Fireproof" and "Courageous" and "The War Room"
Friendly hugs for the marriage problems. We went to non-Christian counseling for years and it was always (both men and women counselors) attacking my husband, telling him he's "wrong" and feelings, feelings, feelings. Ugh. Wasn't helpful. Don't get me wrong, when you're battling with your spouse, it's nice to have an outside source tell them they are wrong - but it's not helpful. It didn't change anything.

So we started the church counseling. Real Bible based church. They are not afraid to state scripture and I like that.

I think the issue with the pastor here (we have several pastors), is that he can not imagine a situation like my husband - where he doesn't want to lead, doesn't know how, has never led. I'm very frustrated with the pastor, for sure, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is assuming my husband knows about leading and how to lead, and even wants that.

I actually don't think submission is an issue - in a healthy marriage. But you need someone to submit to...if I didn't lead in the marriage, literally nothing would get done. Now we have circumstances that shaped who we both are - and they aren't necessarily pretty. But we can't let outside forces shape us forever.

I posted up above that since the counseling meeting, my husband and I have seen more growth in less than a week than we have in years. He saw my reaction to the counseling session and studied and thought about what his leadership role should really be. So what I thought was so disheartening, God used for good. This weekend my husband acted like the leader of our family. And a good one!

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Joe! I was born Catholic and immediately baptized, and raised in a Christian home. That is what I mean by always a Christian.

That is not the Biblical definition of Christian.

There were 2 instances that a woman was offered up to be raped to a mob (Lot and a priest's concubine).

And they were never called righteous for doing such a thing. They made unrighteous choices.

Some really odd laws, like a woman is to be banished like a leper while she is on her period.

Would need an exact verse to know what you are referring to here. But is the historical/cultural context for when this was written the same as it is here in the West today? No. They did not have the same level of knowledge for sanitary processes as we do today.

If she has a male child, she is unclean for 7 days. If she has a female child, she is unclean for 14 days. Then for giving birth, a woman must (I can't remember the exact language) give offerings for being unclean.

Again would need to understand the exact passage and the cultural context you are referring to.

Birth is beautiful and designed by God, yes?

Yes, and none of those passages are saying that birth is a sinful or disgusting thing not designed by God.
Unclean seems harsh when you just endured 10 months of carrying a child.

Again, cultural context matters. (Did you mean 9 months?)

Also, Esphesians 5, which was repeatedly brought up in counseling for me, but not so much the part for my husband.

I don't know the specific words exchanged in your counseling sessions. However, we are all called to submit to God. Wives are called to submit to their husbands. Moreover, Husbands are to lead their wives as Christ is the head of the church. Note however, this is not worldly submission. Moreover, the husband is never commanded to make sure the wife submits to him (that is between God and the wife). The wife is not called to be an oppressed slave who is beaten regularly by her husband, that is not what the Bible says, nor what the Bible implies. If the husband is leading his wife, as Christ leads the church, protecting, nurturing, healing, exhorting, encouraging and serving, then why would a wife reject that? The husband is never given the right or command to berate, insult, humiliate, abuse or degrade his wife. The wife is never given the right to disrespect, undermine, or humiliate her husband.

Husband and wife are equal in regards to their humanity. God made Eve from Adam's rib. God did not make Eve from Adam's head, so that she would not rule over him. God also did not make Eve from Adam's foot, so that Adam would keep Eve oppressed and down trodden. God made Eve from Adam's side, so that they are equal in nature and being. However, God has defined roles for men and women. Men are made to be leaders and protectors with humilty. Women are made to be nurturers and comforters and child bearers. The genius of God's design is the compatible nature of husband and wife. And the difference in a woman's role in the marriage does not make her inferior in nature to the man.

Upvote 0

Justmeoverhere

Jul 15, 2017
Midwest
✟16,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not the Biblical definition of Christian.

And they were never called righteous for doing such a thing. They made unrighteous choices.

Would need an exact verse to know what you are referring to here. But is the historical/cultural context for when this was written the same as it is here in the West today? No. They did not have the same level of knowledge for sanitary processes as we do today.
Was Leviticus not divinely inspired? I don't think people can have it both ways i.e. believe and follow the Bible because it's the truth, BUT...when it's inconvenient...shout cultural context!!!

Again would need to understand the exact passage and the cultural context you are referring to.

Leviticus 12:2-8

Yes, and none of those passages are saying that birth is a sinful or disgusting thing not designed by God.

Again, cultural context matters. (Did you mean 9 months?)

Ha, yes!

I don't know the specific words exchanged in your counseling sessions. However, we are all called to submit to God. Wives are called to submit to their husbands. Moreover, Husbands are to lead their wives as Christ is the head of the church. Note however, this is not worldly submission. Moreover, the husband is never commanded to make sure the wife submits to him (that is between God and the wife). The wife is not called to be an oppressed slave who is beaten regularly by her husband, that is not what the Bible says, nor what the Bible implies. If the husband is leading his wife, as Christ leads the church, protecting, nurturing, healing, exhorting, encouraging and serving, then why would a wife reject that? The husband is never given the right or command to berate, insult, humiliate, abuse or degrade his wife. The wife is never given the right to disrespect, undermine, or humiliate her husband.

Husband and wife are equal in regards to their humanity. God made Eve from Adam's rib. God did not make Eve from Adam's head, so that she would not rule over him. God also did not make Eve from Adam's foot, so that Adam would keep Eve oppressed and down trodden. God made Eve from Adam's side, so that they are equal in nature and being. However, God has defined roles for men and women. Men are made to be leaders and protectors with humilty. Women are made to be nurturers and comforters and child bearers. The genius of God's design is the compatible nature of husband and wife. And the difference in a woman's role in the marriage does not make her inferior in nature to the man.
Men and women may be made for these roles, but it often does not happen. I'm not just speaking about my marriage. My father was no protector, my husband's father left at a young age (mine too), my mother is far from nurturing. These roles *sound* great, in theory.

I understand the design of God's plan, but someone who may come from a "good" family, where the design is intact, doesn't have a clue about the suffering of those who don't experience this. They are always like, "yeah, the husbands lead, the wife submits, the father protects, the mother is caring, life is good." Having experienced my life and worked with troubled teens, this is rare today.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Men and women may be made for these roles, but it often does not happen. I'm not just speaking about my marriage. My father was no protector, my husband's father left at a young age (mine too), my mother is far from nurturing. These roles *sound* great, in theory.

I understand the design of God's plan, but someone who may come from a "good" family, where the design is intact, doesn't have a clue about the suffering of those who don't experience this. They are always like, "yeah, the husbands lead, the wife submits, the father protects, the mother is caring, life is good." Having experienced my life and worked with troubled teens, this is rare today.

I am sorry that you have experienced the negative side of this, but I would argue it does happen correctly, not perfectly, but it does happen (even if you have not personally witnessed it). Even if it does not happen, that only shows the sinfulness and fallenness of man, it does not show a flaw with Biblical teachings.

Upvote 0