Are Westerners Hypocrites regarding Muslim women and oppression?

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
obama1.jpg

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Using the nun as example: The nun chooses to wear robes & make extra commitments. The Muslim woman has no choice. The nun does this as special devotion to God; the Muslim woman does this out of sexist legalism from the Qu'ran.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know little and care even less about Judaism.

But as for nuns, they're women who have chosen to wear the habit. Nobody will rape them and dump acid on their faces if they don't.

Having said that, the plight of Moslem women is not and should not be my country's problem to worry about.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some are I think. I've seen "far-right" groups attack Muslims for their beliefs etc whilst at the same time saying that they are Christian. It makes me cringe a bit because they seem far from Christian. I should mention I'm not supporting Islam.

Isn't the man the head of the home in Christianity? But if a muslim man is the head of his home he's seen negatively. To me it's not black and white. I don't think every woman who wears a scarf is forced to but some probably are

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus says, “You have heard that it was said by them of old time, you shall not commit adultery. But I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.”

Women choose to cover because they feel closer to God that way.

@thecolorsblend-your remark is scarily true bc this often happens overseas. Maybe modesty cannot make a difference no matter what Jesus commanded.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many Muslim women say that they choose freely to cover, just as we modest christian women do. We both feel closer to God this way.

If Jesus said that men commit adultery in their heart, should we not protect men by covering ourselves and not leading them into temptation?

Nun, Jew, Muslim, whats not to admire and love about trying to keep pure?

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm on the search for a girlfriend right now, and one of the things I look for is dressing nicely. I actually find it really attractive when girls wear nice sweaters and not-skinny jeans that don't have holes all over, like the weird fashions of today try to sell.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Many Muslim women say that they choose freely to cover, just as we modest christian women do. We both feel closer to God this way.

If Jesus said that men commit adultery in their heart, should we not protect men by covering ourselves and not leading them into temptation?

Nun, Jew, Muslim, whats not to admire and love about trying to keep pure?
People tend not to have an issue with Muslim women dressing as they do nearly as much as having problems with the culture behind it.

As far as covering yourself to protect men from sin, that's a valid point and a slippery slope at the same time. Dressing super-immodestly, with belly shirts and booty shorts and crap like that is just asking for trouble, but is it really the girl's responsibility if she wears short shorts as part of a soccer uniform, and guys look sexually on her because of it?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some are I think. I've seen "far-right" groups attack Muslims for their beliefs etc whilst at the same time saying that they are Christian. It makes me cringe a bit because they seem far from Christian. I should mention I'm not supporting Islam.

Isn't the man the head of the home in Christianity? But if a muslim man is the head of his home he's seen negatively. To me it's not black and white. I don't think every woman who wears a scarf is forced to but some probably are
Christian men don't believe in "honor killings".

A lot of Moslems do.

So there are some kinda sorta huge differences.

Separately, why is far-right in "quote fingers" up there?

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
there are many abuses though of women who are deemed as not chaste enough due to not having their garb all the way down to the ankles--but is this enforcement akin to american schools and their crack down on clothing and sending students home from school?

clothing choices can be utilized to oppress and control people, even if they were free to make those choices

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

A lot of Moslems do.

Colorsblend what do you personally think is an honor killing and how does it relate to clothing?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A lot of Moslems do.

Now you ask I can't really say why I did the quote fingers thing. I think I just wanted to not give them too much credibility. I was thinking of people like Britain First who will walk the streets with a cross and bash Islam for women's rights violations etc but not realise that some things are also Christian praitces, such as dressing modestly and mainly men working. Also I'm not supporting Islam

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

A lot of Moslems do.

People tend not to have an issue with Muslim women dressing as they do nearly as much as having problems with the culture behind it.

As far as covering yourself to protect men from sin, that's a valid point and a slippery slope at the same time. Dressing super-immodestly, with belly shirts and booty shorts and crap like that is just asking for trouble, but is it really the girl's responsibility if she wears short shorts as part of a soccer uniform, and guys look sexually on her because of it?
No ,if people are dressed for the job as it were ,sports or such then they are 'in place ' ,but if they dress to provoke a sexual reponse deliberately then they are sinning .

Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now you ask I can't really say why I did the quote fingers thing. I think I just wanted to not give them too much credibility. I was thinking of people like Britain First who will walk the streets with a cross and bash Islam for women's rights violations etc but not realise that some things are also Christian praitces, such as dressing modestly and mainly men working. Also I'm not supporting Islam

I understand what you are saying, thank you for sharing. I have some Muslim sisters and they love God so much. They wear Hijab to stop lusting and wayward eyes. It is deeply personal to them.

The first step to sharing Christ is getting to know people and creating a relationship and sharing things in common.

God bless you, my friend

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The real purpose of women having to cover themselves head to toe even their faces. Is to shut out the feminine energy that balances masculine energy . Thats why there is so many problems in the Middle East .Women and the feminine energy they bring is forced out of their society creating imbalance . so you have endless fighting , wars .

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you are saying, thank you for sharing. I have some Muslim sisters and they love God so much. They wear Hijab to stop lusting and wayward eyes. It is deeply personal to them.

The first step to sharing Christ is getting to know people and creating a relationship and sharing things in common.

God bless you, my friend
I understand. I would like to share Christianity with Muslims. I used to have a job where the majority of customers were Muslims, mainly from Yemen. They were respectful and something I noticed is that they kept their voices low/quiet.

I think Islam is the same for men also such as wearing a beard with a short moustache can be very common. It's seen by some as a requirement for men whereas the Hijab is seeen as a requirement for women.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Some of the issues from this & many other issues comes with confusion of people and ideologies; I disagree with much of Islam, and consider it a corrupt religion, with Muhammed being a false prophet prophesized in the Gospels, but I have nothing wrong with Muslims as people, and since coming to college, I've made friends with a few. Ideology and people must be kept separate in cases such as this one.

Upvote 0