ARE WE SAVED FROM SIN OR SAVED IN SIN - (TO CONTINUE TO SIN)?

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
ARE WE SAVED FROM SIN OR SAVED IN SIN (TO CONTINUE TO SIN)?

Let's start with God's definition of sin...

WHAT IS SIN?

ROMANS 7:7 [7], What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I HAD NOT KNOWN SIN BUT BY THE LAW: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

ROMANS 3:20 [20], Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: FOR BY THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN.

1 JOHN 3:4 [4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

JAMES 2:10-11 [10], For whoever shall keep the whole law, and YET OFFEND IN ONE POINT, HE IS GUILTY OF ALL. [11], FOR HE THAT SAID DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY ALSO SAID, DO NOT KILL. NOW IF YOU COMMIT NO ADULTERY YET IF YOU KILL, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF THE LAW.

CONCLUSION: SIN defined in God's WORD is breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments. We are also told that whatsoever is not of faith is sin *ROMANS 14:23. Unbelief or not believing and following God's WORD is sin when we know what God requires of us and we reject God's WORD *ACTS 17:30-31; JAMES 4:17

THOSE WHO FOLLOW GOD DO NOT PRACTICE SIN

1 JOHN 3:4 [4], Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

JOHN 8:34 [34], Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, WHOSOEVER COMMITS SIN IS A SERVANT OF SIN.

Jesus wants to make you free from sin [BREAKING GODS LAW]...

JOHN 8:36 [36], IF THE SON OF MAN SHALL MAKE YOU FREE YOU SHALL BE FREE INDEED.

1 JOHN 3:6 [6], Whosoaver abides in him SINS NOT; WHOSOEVER SINS HAS NEITHER SEEN HIM OR KNOWS HIM.

1 JOHN 2:4 [4], HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND KEEP NOT HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM.

1 JOHN 3:7 [7], Little children, let no man deceive you: HE THAT DOES RIGHTOEUSNESS IS RIGHTEOUS, EVEN HAS HE IS RIGHTOUES.

PSALMS 119:172 [172], My tongue shall speak of your word: for ALL YOUR COMMANDMENTRS ARE RIGHTOUESNESS.

1 JOHN 3:8-10 [8], HE THAT COMMITS SIN IS OF THE DEVIL; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.[9], WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOES NOT COMMIT SIN; for his nature remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. [10], IN THIS THE CHILDREN OF GOD ARE MANIFEST AND THE CHILDREN OF THE DEVIL:whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

CONCLUSION: I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ it is the POWER of God to everyone who BELIEVES. We are all sinners in need of a Saviour. JESUS came to save us from our sins not to continue in them. All those who continue in KNOWN UNREPENTANT sin will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN because those doing so reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

HOW DO WE KNOW IF WE ARE IN THE FAITH OR NOT?

We are told in God's WORD to examine ourselves to see if we are truly following God or not..

2 CORINTHIANS 13:5 [5], EXAMINE YOURSELVES, WHETHER YOU BE IN THE FAITH; PROVE YOUR OWN SELVES. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates?

Why?

1 TIMOTHY 4:1 [1], NOW THE SPIRIT SPEAKS EXPRESSLY THAT IN THE LATTER TIMES SOME SHALL DEPART FROM THE FAITH, GIVING HEED TO SEDUCING SPIRITS AND DOCTRINES OF DEVILS.

MATTHEW 7:22-23 [22], Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works? [23], And THEN I WILL PROFESS TO THEM, I NEVER KNEW YOU, DEPART FROM ME YOU WHO WORK INIQUITY (SIN-Break God's Commandments).

HOW DO WE EXAMINE OURSELVES TO SEE IF WE ARE TRULY FOLLOWING GOD OR NOT?

God's WORD tells us...

JOHN 3:19-21 [19], And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20], For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [21], But HE THAT DOES TRUTH COMES TO THE LIGHT, THAT HIS DEEDS MAY BE MADE MANIFEST THAT THEY ARE WORKED IN GOD.

JOHN 12:46 [46], I AM COME A LIGHT INTO THE WORLD, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVES ON ME SHOULD NOT ABIDE IN DARKNESS.

JESUS is the LIGHT of the WORLD. JESUS is the WORD of God *JOHN 1:1-3;14..

PSALMS 119:105 [105], YOUR WORD IS A LAMP UNTO MY FEET AND A LIGHT UNTO MY PATH.

PROVERBS 6:23 FOR THE COMMANDMENT IS A LAMP AND THE LAW IS LIGHT; And reproofs of instruction are the way of life.

Sin puts out our lamp and light...

PROVERBS 13:9 [9] The light of the righteous rejoiceth; BUT THE LAMP OF THE WICKED SHALL BE PUT OUT.

CONCLUSION: So it is to the Word of God we must come to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith. Not believing and not following God's WORD shows us that we are not in the faith. Breaking any one of God's Commandments shows us that we are not in the faith and that our lamp and light has gone out (we have departed from the faith)

HOW DO WE KNOW IF WE KNOW GOD?

1 JOHN 3:3-4 [3], AND HEREBY WE KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4], HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND KEEPS NOT HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM.

1 JOHN 3:3-10
[3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], WHOEVER COMMITS SIN TRANSGRESSES ALSO THE LAW; FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW .
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], WHOEVER ABIDES IN HIM SINS NOT; WHOEVER SINS HAS NOT SEEN HIM OR KNOWS HIM.
[7], LITTLE CHILDREN LET NO MAN DECEIVE YOU: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], HE THAT COMMITS SIN IS OF THE DEVIL; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], WHOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOES NOT COMMIT SIN; FOR HIS SEED REMAINS IN HIM AND HE CANNOT SIN BECAUSE HE IS BORN OF GOD.
[10], IN THIS THE CHILDREN OF GOD ARE MANIFEXT AND THE CHILDREN OF THE DEVIL: whoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

The difference between the children of God and the children of the devil is sin. The Children of God or God's people do not practice sin (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments). Through faith and the operation of God in them they believe and follow God's WORD and walk in God's Spirit *GALATIONS 5:16; ROMANS 8:1-4; PHILIPPIANS 2:13

WHO ARE GOD'S PEOPLE?

REVELATION 12:17, And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ

REVELATION 14:12, Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

WHO ARE THOSE THAT RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE?

REVELATION 22:14, Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

WHO HAS GOD'S SPIRIT?

ACTS 5:32, And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Spirit, WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN TO THEM WHO OBEY HIM.

CONCLUSION: SIN is KNOWINGLY breaking of any one ANY ONE of God's 10 Commandments (JAMES 2:9-11; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4). Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN because they count the blood of the covenant and unholy thing and reject the gift of God’s dear son crucifying the son of God afresh *HEBREWS 10:26-31; HEBREWS 6:4-8; ROMANS 6:23.

Hope this is helpful...

What are your thoughts? Is the gospel the POWER of God unto salvation from SIN to everyone who BELIEVES? I cannot see anywhere in God's WORD that JESUS came to save us in sin, to continue in it. Those who teach this are teaching another gospel and only have a form of Godliness denying God's power to save them from their sins. (Scripture please)

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we get Saved, Jesus gives us a new heart that is aligned with His, but it is still inside of a flesh that is at odds with Him. As long as our heart keeps pressing toward Him, His Grace covers our failures.

"I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin." Romans 7:21-25 NKJV

This body will eventually die and no longer be such a hindrance to our spirit.

• Winner
Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,130.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The difference between the children of God and the children of the devil is sin.

This is not so...

Consider Colossians 2

6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; 11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, 14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

The Sabbath is one of the ten commandments.

So we see in this passage He has cancelled the consequences of our sin past present and future. We see that no one should judge us with respect to the ten commandments.

Our new Heart and His indwelling presence keeps us from breaking the Law of the Spirit - this is a greater Law than the old covenant law which was imperfect.

Rom 8:2
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2 For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"hose who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN" I have to disagree here. This is not written. I know the verses you quoted. Ask think.. have YOU only tasted of GOD so far? See there were those that saw everything Christ did.. never followed.. but seen it all.. knowing who He really was. Yet.. only tasted... they then walk away.. they never followed. Now.. whats goings to bring them back? Then there were those that were saved.. would go back and try to offer a sacrifice for that SIN. There IS NO MORE sacrifice for sin. Can Christ die again?

Do to that.. puts Christ to open shame.. as if what this GOD did..was not enough for EVERY SIN! As John or the holy spirit told us "behold the lamb of GOD that takes AWAY the sins of the world". What SIN are you thinking talking about that CHRIST never took away? That made it past the blood of a GOD? And again the Holy Spirit through John tells us.. YOU that say you have no sin? You deceive your self for we all have sin. And if you think you dont..your deceived.

Now.. also think.. do you really believe every BELIEVER since Jesus left that died.. EVERY ONE repented of there SINS? NO SIN will enter heaven.. a truth. We have no right to freely SIN...but this FLESH is always IN SIN.. HAS SIN IN IT! Paul..or again the Holy Spirit said.. its no longer I that sin but SIN that is in me. God again said.. that which is BORN of God does not sin. Yet YOU and I DO.. did God lie? Or.. did something that a GOD made NEW.. that NEW creation.. that NEW man.. we put on that which is after God created in righteousness and truly holiness.. is that something that is BORN of GOD that can never sin? Is it no longer I that sin.. but SIN that is in me? :)

None the less... we walk to not sin.. to live for CHRIST.. amen.. I am not right.. but I know why I AM "righteous" or righteousness. It is simply because I believe in YESHUA the only son of GOD. Its what HE did.. what HE finished.. as He died. I did.. as HE rose I DID! Everything is Him.. His peace.. His armor.. His strength.. on and on.. read it again.. you find its NEVER US! We MUST have faith.. that its ALL HIM..and every good thing .. righteous... is ALWAYS HIM in us.. we die..so HE can live.. its NEVER US!

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we get Saved, Jesus gives us a new heart that is aligned with His, but it is still inside of a flesh that is at odds with Him. As long as our heart keeps pressing toward Him, His Grace covers our failures.
Interesting.
But my "flesh" was killed when it was baptized into Jesus Christ and into His death. (Rom 6:3-7)
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
God has made me a new creature now, and the "skin" doesn't control me anymore.

"I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin." Romans 7:21-25 NKJV
The first few verses of Ro 7 clearly show that it is speaking of a former time. Verse 5..."For when we WERE in the flesh..."
The entire middle of Ro 7 is about Paul's former life as a Pharisee; trying to live the Mosaic Law, but failing. And again, a reference to the past in verse 18; (“that is, in my flesh”).
And the end, especially verse 23; "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to THE LAW OF SIN which is in my members."...points again to a former time. Because....
we read in Romans 8:2...."For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from THE LAW OF SIN and death.
Why would Paul still be subject to something he is free of?
If you could see the truth of Ro 7, and its proximity to Ro 6, which speaks of baptism and the death of the flesh, you would see that Paul is making the past-present transition, and Ro 8 continues on into the life walked in the Spirit.
It is brilliant.

Paul wrote..."Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after." (1 Tim 5:24)
Romans 6:23 says "the wages of sin is death.
Therefore, the judgement for my sins was death...which I was paid when I died with Christ at my "immersion" into His death.
Thanks be to God, I now walk in the Spirit instead of in the "flesh".

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not so...

Consider Colossians 2

6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; 11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, 14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

So we see in this passage He has cancelled the consequences of our sin past present and future. We see that no one should judge us with respect to the ten commandments.

Our new Heart and His indwelling presence keeps us from breaking the Law of the Spirit - this is a greater Law than the old covenant law which was imperfect.

2 For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
I wish you had included the last part of Rom 8:1 in your post.
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
Those still walking after the flesh are not in Christ Jesus

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi brother Sabertooth, just hope you will read on a little further from ROMANS 6 through to ROMANS 8. ROMANS 7 is talking about the OLD MAN or FLESH or CARNAL MIND that needs to die and be buried with Christ (See ROMANS 6 and ROMANS 8) to rise again and walk in newness of life. ROMANS 7 is not talking about the experience of the born again Christian that JOHN describes in the OP. The Greek words used for "FLESH" σάρξ; sarx used here is in relation to sinful Human Nature outside of Christ. *Please consider reading ROMANS 6, ROMANS 7 and ROMANS 8 together in light of the scriptures from JOHN in the OP you will see complete harmony. As shown in the OP those who practice sin are not God's Children and do not enter God's Kingdom *MATTHEW 7:22-23.

Thanks for sharing brother.

May God guide you as you seek him through his Word.

Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is not so...

Consider Colossians 2

16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

You are confused here brother Carl. JESUS has not cancelled the consequesnces for sins past present and future if we continue to practice them and do not repent of them and seek God's forgiveness through faith. It is ONLY those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD enduring temptation to the END *JOHN 8:31-36; MATTHEW 24:13; MARK 13:13; HEBREWS 3:13-14; HEBREWS 3:6; COLOSSIANS 1:12-14; 23; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8; MATTHEW 13:18-23 who receive eternal life *JAMES 1:12

OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD through love. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:22-23; MATTHEW 13:49-50.

According to God's WORD all those who continue in SIN (breaking anyone of God's Commandments) will not enter the kingdom of Heaven because by doing so they reject the gift of God's dear son and count the blood of the covenant an unholy thing *HEBREWS 4:6-8; HEBREWS 10:26-27; ROMANS 6:23; MATTHEW 7:22-23.

In COLOSSIANS 2 you mix up the shadow laws from the Mosaic BOOK of the law from the OLD COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 with God's ETERNAL laws (10 Commandments) that give us the knowledge of what sin is in the NEW COVENANT *ROMANS 7:7; ROMANS 3:20; 1 JOHN 3:4.

REPENTANCE *MATTHEW 3:2; MATTHEW 4:17; LUKE 13:3-5; ACTS 2:38; ACTS 3:19; ACTS 8:32; PROVERBS 28:9-13, CONFESSION *1 JOHN 1:9; PROVERBS 28:13 OF SIN *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4 and FAITH *JOHN 3:14-21 in God's promises *2 PETER 1:4 in the NEW COVENANT are all requirements for salvation.

Those who follow God do not knowingly practice sin and those who continue in known unrepentant SIN do not know God *1 JOHN 3:9; 1 JOHN 2:1-4 and are not His Children *JOHN 3:3-10.

God's Sheep hear His Voice (the Word).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"hose who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN" I have to disagree here. This is not written. I know the verses you quoted. Ask think.. have YOU only tasted of GOD so far? See there were those that saw everything Christ did.. never followed.. but seen it all.. knowing who He really was. Yet.. only tasted... they then walk away.. they never followed. Now.. whats goings to bring them back? Then there were those that were saved.. would go back and try to offer a sacrifice for that SIN. There IS NO MORE sacrifice for sin. Can Christ die again?

Do to that.. puts Christ to open shame.. as if what this GOD did..was not enough for EVERY SIN! As John or the holy spirit told us "behold the lamb of GOD that takes AWAY the sins of the world". What SIN are you thinking talking about that CHRIST never took away? That made it past the blood of a GOD? And again the Holy Spirit through John tells us.. YOU that say you have no sin? You deceive your self for we all have sin. And if you think you dont..your deceived.

Now.. also think.. do you really believe every BELIEVER since Jesus left that died.. EVERY ONE repented of there SINS? NO SIN will enter heaven.. a truth. We have no right to freely SIN...but this FLESH is always IN SIN.. HAS SIN IN IT! Paul..or again the Holy Spirit said.. its no longer I that sin but SIN that is in me. God again said.. that which is BORN of God does not sin. Yet YOU and I DO.. did God lie? Or.. did something that a GOD made NEW.. that NEW creation.. that NEW man.. we put on that which is after God created in righteousness and truly holiness.. is that something that is BORN of GOD that can never sin? Is it no longer I that sin.. but SIN that is in me? :)

None the less... we walk to not sin.. to live for CHRIST.. amen.. I am not right.. but I know why I AM "righteous" or righteousness. It is simply because I believe in YESHUA the only son of GOD. Its what HE did.. what HE finished.. as He died. I did.. as HE rose I DID! Everything is Him.. His peace.. His armor.. His strength.. on and on.. read it again.. you find its NEVER US! We MUST have faith.. that its ALL HIM..and every good thing .. righteous... is ALWAYS HIM in us.. we die..so HE can live.. its NEVER US!

Hello brother Blade nice to see you and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Although I am not really sure exactly what your saying here in this post. So just asking for some clarification here. In your view is someone who is living in a life of known unrepentant sin in a saved state before God or an unsaved state before God?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,130.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish you had included the last part of Rom 8:1 in your post.
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
Those still walking after the flesh are not in Christ Jesus
I quoted Rom 8, 1 and 2... that was the last part of verse 4... very relevant mind you thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I quoted Rom 8, 1 and 2... that was the last part of verse 4... very relevant mind you thanks.

I think Phil was saying you only provided half the scripture. Look at the highlighted section in His post that you did not provide in yours.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Phil was saying you only provided half the scripture. Look at the highlighted section in His post that you did not provide in yours.
Yep...
I probably should have deleted all but the line I was referencing from post #3

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To The OP: you have an inadequate definition for sin.

Not at all. It is God's definition of what sin is as shown through his Word in *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11; ROMANS 7:7; ROMANS 3:20 and ROMANS 14:23. Missing the mark is breaking God's ETERNAL LAW (10 commandments) which is the mark missed (broken). According to God's WORD in the NEW COVENANT it is God's LAW that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20. Not believing and following God's WORD is also sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatsoever is not from faith is sin. Rom 14.23

Sin is trying to obey but missing the mark, falling short. (Definition of both the Hebrew and Greek words)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Whatsoever is not from faith is sin. Rom 14.23
Sin is trying to obey but missing the mark, falling short. (Definition of both the Hebrew and Greek words)
Did you read the post you are responding to brother?
LoveGodsWord said: Not at all. It is God's definition of what sin is as shown through his Word in *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11; ROMANS 7:7; ROMANS 3:20 and ROMANS 14:23. Missing the mark is breaking God's ETERNAL LAW (10 commandments) which is the mark missed (broken). According to God's WORD in the NEW COVENANT it is God's LAW that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20. Not believing and following God's WORD is also sin.
According to God's WORD it seems your definition is a little inadequate.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you read the post you are responding to brother?
I did. It seems most of what you list as “sin” more rightfully falls under the headings of “Transgression” and “Iniquity.” Not sin.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I did. It seems most of what you list as “sin” more rightfully falls under the headings of “Transgression” and “Iniquity.” Not sin.
You are confused brother transgression of God's LAW is sin so is iniquity ....

1 JOHN 3:4 [4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

MATTHEW 7:22-23 [22], Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?
[23], And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

Greek Word "Iniquity" is ἀνομία; anomia From G459; illegality, that is, violation of law or (generally) wickedness: - iniquity, X transgress (-ion of) the law, unrighteousness. = SIN

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they are the same, why does the OT list them separately?

BTW - last time I checked, there were a lot more than just 10 commandments. THe OT lists 613 and the NT has 1050

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If they are the same, why does the OT list them separately?

BTW - last time I checked, there were a lot more than just 10 commandments. THe OT lists 613 and the NT has 1050

As posted earlier it is God's WORD that defines what sin is in *1 JOHN 3:4; ROMANS 7:7; JAMES 2:10-11 and ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 14:23.

The Greek Word used for sin is missing the mark the Greek word used for iniquity is breaking God's Law. Sin is breaking God's Law because it is missing the mark. The mark in reference to 1 JOHN 3:4; ROMANS 7:7 is any one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is *ROMANS 3:20.

Both words used for sin or iniquity are a variation on the same thing which is breaking any one of God's 10 commandments or not believing or following God's WORD *JAMES 2:10-11; ROMANS 14:23. There is only 10 commandments in God's ETERNAL LAW that were written on stone with God's own finger that gives us a knowledge of what sin is *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7 not 613.

EXODUS 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote on the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

DEUTERONOMY 4:13 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them on two tables of stone.

DEUTERONOMY 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spoke to you in the mount out of the middle of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them to me.

Much (not all) from the MOSAIC BOOK of the law to which you are referring to (not the tables of stone written by God) is fulfilled in the NEW COVENANT to which it pointed to. Your mixing up God's ETERNAL LAW which gives us the knowledge of what sin is in the NEW COVENANT *ROMANS 3:20 with the Shadow laws from the MOSIAC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT for remission of sins that pointed to JESUS and God's plan of salvation as outlined in the NEW COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7; HEBREWS 9 and HEBREWS 10.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0