Are we saved by grace, faith, works of faith, repentance, election, or combination of these?

Are we saved by grace, faith, works of faith, repentance, election, or combination of these?

• I am a Universalist. All will eventually be saved by God's grace.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In this thread: You are free to discuss how Sanctification (Holy living, putting away sin, and doing good works) plays a part in the salvation process after being saved by God's grace through faith here.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Saved is a poor choice of word to use, as saved in the Bible can have many uses and these uses are not all carrying the same meaning.

But how a person(unbeliever) receives Eternal Life. They believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of The Messiah's Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

We are saved by the gracious work of God in the New Covenant. In giving us a new heart and putting His Spirit in us and causing us to walk in His statues. His gifting to us Repentance, Adoption, and Faith.

God alone is the Primary and only effective cause of our Salvation, there are no secondary dependencies. He has purpose in what He does, and the things He does have direct effects upon us as purposed with out failure.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: frumanchu
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I read the Scriptures, I see 4 different aspects of salvation described.

#1. Provisional Atonement (not "Limited Atonement").
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
This is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too. (For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.).

#2. Justification (Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Justification is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Justification is believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and had risen again three days later on your behalf, and accepting Jesus as your Savior, and seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer. This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). (For Justification verses, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#3. Sanctification (The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).
Sanctification is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work (because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

#4. Glorification (The Future Salvation of the Truly Faithful Believer).
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
Glorification is when God takes the believer home to be with Him in His kingdom and He gives Him a new resurrected body that is not tainted by sin. This process of salvation (in being taken home) is a by product automatically for those believers who properly applied Justification and Sanctification to their lives (For Glorification verses, see: 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Peter 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Romans 13:11, Philippians 3:20-21, Hebrews 9:28).

Conclusion:

Justification, and then Sanctification is what we as believers need to be focused on. For if we are justified, and sanctified (which is only made possible by the Provisional Atonement), then we will be glorified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about "Election" mentioned in the Bible?

Well, I see "Election" as GOD choosing based on His foreknowledge (future knowledge) of what He knows they are going to do before they actually do it (See: 1 Peter 1:1-2; For Peter says that he is elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father. "Fore" means future.).

This is why the Pharisee religion of "Man Directed Works ALONE Salvationism" (that did not include God's grace) was rejected in the book of Romans (See: Romans 4, and Romans 9). God's plan and purpose of election of both Jew and Gentile saved by God's grace (without works) initially and foundationally might stand. Men are ultimately saved by the Savior. God knows when men will reject His grace in this life in a really bad way like with those who worship the beast. GOD predicts in His Word that such people never even had their names written in the book of life since the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8) (Revelation 17:8). GOD knew these kinds of people never wanted His grace, and salvation. As for all others, the atoning sacrifice of Christ is available to all. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. But a person needs to accept the Savior, and be faithful to Him (by cooperating with the good work God does through them) in order for eternal life to be personally applied to their life.

So I see "Election" as more GOD declaring the future on what He knows men are going to do before they do it. GOD can declare ahead of time before man moves or works. So this is not a forced "Election" like in Calvinism. Men have free will to choose God in this life. Men will be held responsible for their sin at a Judgment and it will not be GOD snapping His fingers for some men to be saved for no real good reason, and others to be damned for no real good reason. God is good. Men wanted to create free willed beings so as to have love within his creation. Love is when two parties both agree to love each other of their own free will. When love is forced (one directional) it is no longer love. If a man tries to hypnotize a girl to love him, or to take a love potion, it is not true love.

"Election" is about glorifying salvation by God's grace. "Election" is more of God predicting the future and glorifying the salvation that He provides by His Son, which is given freely to all. This does not negate responsibility later on after a person receives God's grace so as to continue with GOD and to enter the Sanctification Process. If a person acts upon God's grace, they are acting upon God's election of grace for their life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about "repentance" mentioned in the Bible?

Here is my...

Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that "Repentance" means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord). This is done as a part of salvation.

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

"Asking God for forgiveness of sin" can either refer to: The "Sinner's Prayer" (Initial Salvation) (Romans 10:13), and or the seasoned believer "Confessing one's sin" (Continued Salvation) (See 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin.”

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is how I see the things:

1. Election (More of a Future Declaration of What God knows we are going to do; It is a glorification of His grace that is given freely to all, if they so choose to accept it.) (Prophetic Declaration of Salvation).

2. Provisional Atonement (Jesus's death, burial, resurrection, & 1st ascension) (This is merely GOD providing the means for all men to be saved. Each person has to individually choose of their own free will God's provision of salvation for their life) (The Provision of Salvation Made So As To Offer Men The Gift of Salvation).

3. God's grace through Faith in Jesus Christ (Justification Process) (The 1st step in the salvation process for the believer in order to be saved personally.) (The 1st synergistic work of God done in a believer). This is believing in Jesus for salvation or believing the gospel (Which is believing that Christ, died, was buried, and was risen 3 days later on our behalf for salvation).
This can include "Repentance" (and in many cases it does) which is calling upon the name of the Lord for salvation and or seeking forgiveness with Him over our sins. (Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).

4. Sanctification (or "Works of Faith," "Holy Living," "Putting Away Grievous Sin") (The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process) (The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer). After a believer is saved by God's grace by trusting in Jesus and or His work (the gospel) for their salvation, they then must enter the Sanctification Process which is by the power of GOD working in them. When a believer surrenders to the LORD, GOD helps the believer to overcome grievous sin, and to be fruitful for His kingdom, and to live a holy life. This process is also a part of salvation and it glorifies God's grace. (The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).

5. Glorification (This is the aspect of salvation where GOD takes us home to be with Him in His Kingdom if we accepted His grace, and we remained faithful to Him). A believer needs to focus on God's grace and Sanctification as a part of salvation within this life in order to be with the Lord.
(Future Salvation of the Faithful Believer by GOD).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most agree that God's grace is an essential and foundational element of God's salvation for us. But that is where people stop when it comes to salvation.

Most believe that Sanctification is a work God has done in you, or it is God who will take control of your life (to live holy somewhat) as a part of believing in Jesus alone or the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) for your salvation (Including believing the future sin is forgiven a believer).

However, there is a problem with this kind of view of God's grace and Sanctification.
First, the Bible does not teach future sin is forgiven a believer. We have to confess of sin in order to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9). Second, many believe Sanctification is a 100% work of God. But if Sanctification is fully God’s work, believers can be misunderstood by others, and it would encourage a extreme form of passiveness when it comes to our obedience to GOD. In fact, this kind of thinking on Sanctification can lead others to think that we do not need to do anything for GOD as a part of Sanctification Process for our lives. Just sit back, and wait for GOD to make you holy. But what if it never happens? What if we end up living a backslidden life and we die? What of Sanctification or living that holy life then? Is Sanctification just optional? The Bible teaches we need both God's grace and Sanctification as a part of salvation; Here are three verses that teach that we need both for salvation: John 5:24, 1 Thessalonians 2:13, and James 2:24. For living holy is essential to our salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). I know for many these truths in Scripture will fall on deaf ears, but I am asking those few who are Bereans to check out to see whether or not these things are so or not.

"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." (Proverbs 18:13).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many think "Sanctification" is like autopilot option on a plane.
While we are given a new heart, with new desires, and while God does do the good work through us, we still have free will.

Reasons in Scripture why "Sanctification" is not an autopilot feature like on a plane:

full

full

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

These verses would not exist in our Bibles if "Sanctification" was just all autopilot flight. But of course, I know many will ignore these verses in favor of what they have been taught or what they prefer to see. It is my call to the good Bereans out there to seek the truth on such matters and see whether these things be so or not.

full

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

full

For if we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin
(See: 1 John 1:7).

So we have to walk in the light to be cleansed by the blood (i.e. to be saved).
To walk in the light is to love your brother (See: 1 John 2:9-11).

The light is God the Father. We must walk in the light of God as Christ is in the light. Jesus said if we keep His commandments we will abide in His love (John 15:10). If we keep His commandments, the Father, and Jesus will make their home within us (See: John 14:23). For....

full

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The gospel that Jesus proclaimed was a call to discipleship, a call to follow Him in submissive obedience, not just a plea to make a decision or pray a prayer.

Yes, but it needs to be stressed that we do need to first make a decision for Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior. We are commanded to trust in His grace.

1. Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬)

2. Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29) (Note: This command is repeated in Revelation - and this version of the command refutes Calvinism).

3. Believe the gospel (Mark 1:15)

4. Have faith in God (Mark 11:22).

5. Save yourselves from this corrupt generation (Acts of the Apostles 2:40).

Free Will in Choosing God in the Bible:

#1. Joshua 24:15 KJV -
"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve"

#2. Matthew 11:28 KJV -
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

#3. John 7:17 KJV -
"If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God."

#4. John 7:37 KJV -
"If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink."

#5. Acts 2:38 KJV -
"Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized"

#6. Acts 3:19 KJV -
"Repent therefore and be converted"

#7. Acts 16:31 KJV -
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved"

#8. Acts 17:30 KJV -
"but now commands all men everywhere to repent"

#9. Revelation 22:17 KJV -
"Whoever wills, let him take the water of life freely."

#10. Genesis 4:7 KJV -
"If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

#11. Revelation 22:17 KJ2
"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that hears say, Come. And let him that is thirsty come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

#12. Luke 13:34 NLT -
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me.

Initial Salvation can also include seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ over one's own sins, too. This is "Repentance" or the "Sinner's Prayer" and it is clearly taught in the Bible. Check out my post #13 (within this thread) for a biblical defense on Repentance or the Sinner's Prayer.

You said:
Jesus' message liberated people from the bondage of their sin while it confronted and condemned hypocrisy. It was an offer of eternal life and forgiveness for repentant sinners, but at the same time it was a rebuke to outwardly religious people whose lives were devoid of true righteousness. It put sinners on notice that they must turn from sin and embrace God's righteousness. Our Lord's words about eternal life were invariably accompanied by warnings to those who might be tempted to take salvation lightly. He taught that the cost of following Him is high, that the way is narrow and few find it. He said many who call him Lord will be forbidden from entering the kingdom of heaven (cf. Matthew 7:13-23). Present-day evangelicalism, by and large, ignores these warnings. The prevailing view of what constitutes saving faith continues to grow broader and more shallow, while the portrayal of Christ in preaching and witnessing becomes fuzzy. Anyone who claims to be a Christian can find evangelicals willing to accept a profession of faith, whether or not the person's behavior shows any evidence of commitment to Christ. In this way, faith has become merely an intellectual exercise.

In the thread I am quoting your post from, you essentially talked about how the five "Solas" are inaccurate labels. These labels are not in line with what the definitions say. We cannot be Sola Fide (or Faith Alone) if faith also includes grace. The labels (i.e. the Solas) are inaccurate to how they are defined. I believe you have fallen into the same problem when it comes to defining the label called: "repentance."

Please take note, that what I am about to express is what I believe on what your belief is teaching on the word "repentance," and this may not be something you may agree with. I am not looking to change what you have stated on the forums in regards to your belief (i.e. to misrepresent what you truly have said already on repentance). I am merely expressing why I think your belief is not accurate to what the Bible says, and how it is not consistent. Please take no offense to my expression of why I believe your definition on the word "repentance" is not biblical, and how it is not consistent with other things you have said in regards to Lordship Salvation (promoted by Calvinist John MacArthur).

I believe God's grace includes "repentance" but "repentance" is not in the way that you think it is defined. Repentance is not turning from sin (Which is a vague and fuzzy definition), but repentance is seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ (Which then leads to the fruits of repentance, i.e. good deeds). This is why John the Baptist said bring forth fruits worthy of repentance, and he later told the crowd to do certain things (after they wondered in what they should do). When John was baptizing, men were being baptized as they were confessing their sins. They were confessing their sins to God for forgiveness. This was called the baptism of repentance. Yet, if you were to read Matthew 3, you would learn that they confessed their sins as they were baptized.

You said:
Instead of calling men and women to surrender to Christ, modern evangelism asks them only to accept some basic facts about Him. This shallow understanding of salvation and the gospel, known as "easy-believism," stands in stark contrast to what the Bible teaches. To put it simply, the gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ's authority. This, in a nutshell, is what is commonly referred to as lordship salvation. The Distinctives of Lordship Salvation There are many articles of faith that are fundamental to all evangelical teaching.

Yielding to an authority sounds vague and it is not clearly defined. What exactly does yielding to Christ's authority look like? Does it include putting away sin, and living holy, and or doing good works and or obeying the Lord's commands?

Can you yield to Christ's authority and not do good works by the power of God?

You said:
For example, there is agreement among all believers on the following truths:
  • (1) Christ's death purchased eternal salvation;

Well, it's not just in His death that men have the possibility to be saved. Christ's death, burial, resurrection, and 1st ascension is the Provisional Atonement to offer man the free gift of eternal life. The condition of having eternal life (Who is a person named Jesus) is seeking forgiveness with Jesus Christ or trusting in His grace, and or the gospel for salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), AND in being faithful to Jesus Christ by obeying Him. This obedience manifests itself in obeying His commands (Which involves living holy, putting away sin, and doing good works). Accepting God's grace and entering into the Sanctification Process is how we access what Jesus has done for us. But Jesus is the source of eternal life. Jesus alone possesses immortality (1 Timothy 6:16). Jesus says, I am the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). So we have to abide in Christ in order to have life or eternal life. Eternal life is not some kind of cloud that is poured out on us. Jesus is eternal life and the source of such.

You said:
(2) the saved are justified by grace through faith in Christ alone;

If I am understanding you correctly, you believe that "repentance" is also needed. But I believe your definition on repentance is not how the Bible defines that word. You think repentance is turning from sin. Problem is that turning from sin can be interpreted in a different number of ways by men. They could think "turning from sin" is just saying "no" to sin, and or them having hatred for sin, and yet they just do their best not to sin, but they know they will sin again tomorrow and they cannot help but to sin. They fight and go in the other direction and they try to turn away from sin, but they slingshot back to sin.

You said:
(3) sinners cannot earn divine favor;

Well, actually they can by seeking forgiveness with the Lord and accepting His grace, and or the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and then in being faithful to the Lord from that point on. If they go back to being unfaithful again, they are showing that they are not really sorry about what they have done when they sought forgiveness with the Lord. There is no change. No remorse. Just a mental acknowledgement of a certain set of facts in the Bible while they are still enslaved to sin in some way.

You said:
(4) God requires no preparatory works or pre-salvation reformation;

This is true. We cannot work our way into Heaven alone without God's mercy, grace, and forgiveness. Our past slate of sin needs to be wiped out by seeking forgiveness with the Lord, and in trusting in His grace and the gospel for salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

You said:
(5) eternal life is a gift of God;
Eternal life is a person named Jesus Christ. Jesus is the gift. But like all gifts in life, they come with works of responsibility in taking care of them (otherwise we can end up losing our gifts).

You said:
(6) believers are saved before their faith ever produces any righteous works

True. A believer is initially, and foundationally saved by God's grace and His mercy when they surrender to Him by seeking forgiveness with Him by way of prayer and in trusting in His death, burial, and resurrection for salvation.

You said:
(7) Christians can and do sin, sometimes horribly.

The first part of this sentence is true, but the second part that says, "Christians... do sin" suggests that this is a way of life for them and or that they can never overcome grievous sin or those sins that the Bible condemns with hell fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
this is from the Grace Community Church Distinctive on Lordship Salvation . It was adapted from John MacArthur's material on the topic of lordship salvation, and serves as an excellent introduction to the subject.
quote from this link :
An Introduction to Lordship Salvation

(works based salvation is considered off topic, and I will request that the thread be closed if too many posts show up with works based soteriology)

John MacArthur is a Calvinist.

I believe John MacArthur and other Calvinists (I have encountered and talk with) do not appear to be for true holy living entirely or in putting away grievous sin for good because they make for an allowance to sin and still be saved on some level. So being "faithful unto death" has a different understanding to them than the way Jesus teaches it (See: Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28, etc.) and the way John teaches it (1 John 3:15, Revelation 21:8).

How so?

Well, Kenneth Nally committed suicide as per his influence of John MacArthur's ministry and MacArthur said that he was still saved.

Here is a quote from an article:

"At the trial, MacArthur, 45, is seeking to clarify his church’s teaching on suicide. “It’s not only a sin, it’s illegal,” he says. “But we teach that even if a believer takes his own life, the Lord will still receive him into His presence.”

Article Source:
Fundamentalist Clergymen Face Charges of 'Malpractice' When a Parishioner Turns to Suicide

John MacArthur says that a person can take the mark of the beast and they can still be saved afterwards. Listen to this audio clip by him here:

John MacArthur says,

".. sin does not result in spiritual death for the believer ...
(The MacArthur Study Bible, p. 1927, comment on James 1:15)"​

John MacArthur confirms how one can sin and still be saved here in this video:

This is why I believe the Lordship Salvation doctrine promoted by John MacArthur is a trojan horse. The version of holy living he is talking about is not the one defined in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, Scripture teaches that the gospel calls sinners to faith joined in oneness with repentance (Acts 2:38; 17:30; 20:21; 2 Peter 3:9). Repentance is a turning from sin (Acts 3:19; Luke 24:47) that consists not of a human work but of a divinely bestowed grace (Acts 11:18; 2 Timothy 2:25). It is a change of heart, but genuine repentance will effect a change of behavior as well (Luke 3:8; Acts 26:18-20).

How can sinners be called to faith if God is the one who grants them faith?
You or Mr. MacArthur said, "Even faith is a gift of God, not a work of man (Ephesians 2:1- 5, 8). It is contradictory to call somebody to faith, and yet at the same time then force the gift of faith upon them. God's grace is the gift mentioned in Ephesians 2:8. 2 Timothy 2:25 is often misunderstood when it says in certain translations "grant them repentance." This is not referring to how God suddenly zaps a person to have faith one day. This is in reference to how a person is given an opportunity to hear the gospel message in order for them to seek forgiveness (i.e. repentance) with the Lord Jesus Christ. How so?

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."
(2 Thessalonians 2:10).​

According to the above verse, those who perish are facing such a fate because they have not received the love of the truth that they MIGHT be saved. The word "might" here suggests a possibility.

In fact, we know according to Scripture that men hold the truth in unrighteousness, and they are aware of his existence of God's wondrous creation.

18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools," (Romans 1:18-22).​

Romans 1 is a warm up for Romans 3 that says there is none that do good. It is taken from Psalms 14 that says,

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psalms 14:1).​

Of course this is in reference to the wicked Gentiles.
It does not mean a person cannot surrender to God and His grace, and be forgiven, and then walk uprightly with God at a later time.

You or Mr. MacArthur say, "Repentance is a turning from sin (Acts 3:19; Luke 24:47)":

Problem is that these verses do not actually define the word "repent" or "repentance." Assumptions are made on the word "repent" and no context is actually given to show that the word "repent" means to "turn away from sin."

The two portions of Scripture which would be more indicative of how a believer is to do God's will, and or forsake one's evil ways as a part of repentance can be seen in Matthew 12:41 and comparing it with Jonah 3:6-10; And by looking at the Parable of the Two Sons (Matthew 21:28-32). But it does not exactly say that they exclusively forsaken sin in these portions of Scripture as a part of "repentance," though. I believe the fruit of repentance (forsaking sin, and good deeds) is a part of repentance (i.e. seeking forgiveness with God). For in the Parable of the Two Sons, the one good son did "repent" and took action. The word "repent" is one thing, and taking action is another thing. Jesus was defining what true repentance (seeking forgiveness with God) looks like in the fact that somebody makes good on their prayer of seeking forgiveness with God by doing what He says in His Word. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus said that the Ninevites will rise up in judgment because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. We see that the Ninevites had done two very important things as a part of getting right with the Lord. They cried out to God, and then they forsaken their evil ways (making their cry out unto God) as being genuine and or true. They made good on their sorrow over their sin before God. They brought forth fruit worthy of repentance. When John the Baptist talks about bringing forth fruit befitting of repentance, he is referring to deeds. For Acts of the Apostles 26:20 says that we are to bring forth deeds befitting of repentance.

You said:
In contrast, easy-believism teaches that repentance is simply a synonym for faith and that no turning from sin is required for salvation.

No doubt, "Easy Believism" is false. But how would you define what "turning from sin" looks like? Does it include:

(a) Obeying the commands that come from Jesus and His followers?
(b) Good works of God done through the believer?
(c) Putting away sin by God's power?
(d) Living holy by God's power?
(e) The Sanctification Process by God?

Notice that I said nothing here about human works alone done for salvation. I believe it is God alone is good and that He is the One who works in us to do of His good will, and pleasure. I also did not say that I am earning or acquiring salvation for the first time via by works or holy living. I believe God's grace is essential. I believe we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace, but after that happens, we must live holy by the power of God. If not, the we are turning God's grace into a license for immorality. Problem is that you are not defining what "turning from sin" looks like in the Bible.

Does "turning from sin" require doing good works, etc.?

What do you make of John 15:1-6?

Last edited:
Upvote 0