✟15,041.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I know we are supposed to have faith trust and hope.

For example, if there’s a chance I could lose my job I should trust the Lord will take care of me.

The only thing is what if I sinned in the past, should I think things may not work out due to punishment?

So instead of thinking “yes I may lose this job but God will provide for me” there is a fear that “you have sinned and don’t deserve any blessing so yes you may lose your job and not find a better one because you have fallen short from the glory of God”

but what about grace and didn’t Jesus pay the price for our sins so there is no need to worry about some punishment from any past mistakes?

This has been on my mind a lot lately and I come across different opinions.

thanks
M

mical

Jun 20, 2021
vienna
✟15,041.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings to Austria.

The punishment for sins was put on Christ. So, no.

Your bad decisions can have bad consequences, but its not God's punishment.

Thank you that’s quite a relief and makes us appreciate more our salvation and to keep moving forward in hope and faith.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

For example, if there’s a chance I could lose my job I should trust the Lord will take care of me.

The only thing is what if I sinned in the past, should I think things may not work out due to punishment?

So instead of thinking “yes I may lose this job but God will provide for me” there is a fear that “you have sinned and don’t deserve any blessing so yes you may lose your job and not find a better one because you have fallen short from the glory of God”

but what about grace and didn’t Jesus pay the price for our sins so there is no need to worry about some punishment from any past mistakes?

thanks
M
As His child, God is not interested in punishing you. Though God may or may not shield you from the consequences of your sin, He is committed to helping you to move forward in your life.

In short, God is interested in rehabilitating you ... with all that entails ...

Reactions: mical
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sins repented of are forgiven but not forgotten. They last a lifetime but are emptied of their condemnation. They were red as crimson but now white as snow. Yet we still sin if we delight in them and fantasize over them, showing that we never truly repented of them.

Reactions: mical
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,529.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
there’s a chance I could lose my job I should trust the Lord will take care of me.

No Jesus dealt with your ' sins , however if those sins have consequences in this life Jesus doe not protect us from them.

Example, if you have stolen from your employer, while the sin of theft is forgiven, your employer is still justified in sacking you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

thanks
M
Yours is an interesting question, Mical. The answer depends on which church you consult.

The traditional Catholic teaching about its idea of a Purgatory is that, yes, we will be punished for past sins--sins already forgiven--but not for eternity. That's Purgatory.

The Protestant churches of course rejected this innovation that dates from the late Middle Ages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums