• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Are we punished still for past sins? Overcoming anxiety

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by mical, Jul 25, 2021.

1. mical

mical New Member

+13
    Austria
    Christian
    Single
    Hi,

I know we are supposed to have faith trust and hope.

For example, if there’s a chance I could lose my job I should trust the Lord will take care of me.

The only thing is what if I sinned in the past, should I think things may not work out due to punishment?

So instead of thinking “yes I may lose this job but God will provide for me” there is a fear that “you have sinned and don’t deserve any blessing so yes you may lose your job and not find a better one because you have fallen short from the glory of God”

but what about grace and didn’t Jesus pay the price for our sins so there is no need to worry about some punishment from any past mistakes?

This has been on my mind a lot lately and I come across different opinions.

thanks
    M

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+1,286
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Greetings to Austria.

The punishment for sins was put on Christ. So, no.

Your bad decisions can have bad consequences, but its not God's punishment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. mical

mical New Member

+13
    Austria
    Christian
    Single
    Thank you that’s quite a relief and makes us appreciate more our salvation and to keep moving forward in hope and faith.

4. GallagherM

GallagherM Well-Known Member

+341
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 1 Peter 6-7

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,027
    Christian
    Married
    As His child, God is not interested in punishing you. Though God may or may not shield you from the consequences of your sin, He is committed to helping you to move forward in your life.

In short, God is interested in rehabilitating you ... with all that entails ...

6. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,789
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sins repented of are forgiven but not forgotten. They last a lifetime but are emptied of their condemnation. They were red as crimson but now white as snow. Yet we still sin if we delight in them and fantasize over them, showing that we never truly repented of them.

7. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,815
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No Jesus dealt with your ' sins , however if those sins have consequences in this life Jesus doe not protect us from them.

Example, if you have stolen from your employer, while the sin of theft is forgiven, your employer is still justified in sacking you.

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,684
    Anglican
    Married
    Yours is an interesting question, Mical. The answer depends on which church you consult.

The traditional Catholic teaching about its idea of a Purgatory is that, yes, we will be punished for past sins--sins already forgiven--but not for eternity. That's Purgatory.

The Protestant churches of course rejected this innovation that dates from the late Middle Ages.

9. rocknanchor

rocknanchor Continue Well 2 John 9 Supporter

+6,815
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
  10. Akita Suggagaki

Akita Suggagaki Well-Known Member

+2,383
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Maybe the deeper issue is simply anxiety. Here you are anxious about a possible future. What about the present?