Are we meant to understand what God means?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From scripture, I read

"Man was formed, there was the Garden of Eden in the east with Tree of Life, and Tree of Good and Evil. There was a river that flowed out of Eden that divided into 4 rivers"

These are the 4:
1st Pishon, flowed around whole land of Havilah
2nd Gihon, flowed around Cush
3rd Tigris, flows East Assyria
4th Euphrates ???

Adam and Eve are kicked out of the Garden then God has a Cheribum guard it with a flaming sword.

"Cain settled in a land of Nod east of Eden." "If anyone kills Cain vengeance shall be taken on him is sevenfold."

"If Cain's revenge is sevenfold, then Lamech's is seventy-sevenfold".

I don't know who these people in Genesis are, or where they come from/what happened to them. Or what these rivers and locations all mean along with the things I marked in red.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From scripture, I read

"Man was formed, there was the Garden of Eden in the east with Tree of Life, and Tree of Good and Evil. There was a river that flowed out of Eden that divided into 4 rivers"

These are the 4:
4th Euphrates ???

Adam and Eve are kicked out of the Garden then God has a Cheribum guard it with a flaming sword.

"Cain settled in a land of Nod east of Eden." "If anyone kills Cain vengeance shall be taken on him is sevenfold."

I don't know who these people in Genesis are, or where they come from/what happened to them. Or what these rivers and locations all mean along with the things I marked in red.
God will clear things up for you when He's ready to have you hear.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Without God’s grace our fallen nature causes us to be blind, deaf and dumb but even Christians this side of glory still see as though through a glass dimly.

1 Corinthians 13:12

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
From scripture, I read

These are the 4:
4th Euphrates ???

Moses is writing after the flood - at the time of the Exodus (or just before it). He is giving names of rivers and places for the sake of his contemporary readers who would have been familiar with the middle east.

Cheribum are a type of angel.

Sevenfold means 7X to us.

Lamech is pronouncing "his own curse" on anyone who should punish him because of his evil... as if that would work.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From scripture, I read

These are the 4:
4th Euphrates ???

Genesis is a historical narrative. There is a lot missing because back in those days information was passed down by word of mouth. Moses wrote it down about 2000 years later.

The Garden of Eden was the garden that God planted and placed Adam in, and it was the place where Eve was created. No one knows where exactly it is, but there is a place in Eastern Turkey called Eden, and Mount Ararat where Noah's ark ran aground is at the Eastern border of Turkey. It is also the place where the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates are. Those other 2 rivers, the Pishon and Gihon don't appear to exist anymore. Also geography changes over time, so those places are called by other names later on.

Cherubim are angels. How it "guards" the garden today no one knows.

So if Eden was in Eastern Turkey, then the land of Nod could be modern day Armenia or possibly Iran.

"Sevenfold" means 7x (or something multiplied times 7). So then "seventy-sevenfold" means 77x.

Lamech was a descendant of Cain, who was the one who killed his brother Abel, and who also was marked so that no one would kill him. Lamech probably felt cursed, and so was pronouncing a curse. Nothing more is said about him, but it is likely that either his descendants, or those who followed his leadership eventually became the Chaldeans and Babylonians who conquered and tyrannized other nations. God eventually used their wickedness to chastise His people Israel, but many centuries later.
TD:)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When Cain said to the LORD that he was worried that someone would kill him, possibly he knew his parents Adam and Eve would have more sons, and those sons and their descendants might find out how Cain had killed Abel and they might feel they needed to avenge the blood of their relative Abel.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are we meant to understand what God means?

I believe the understanding should be gradual, because if person is not yet very righteous, he could us the knowledge for evil. And maybe it is better if we don’t know all those things. Or what do you think, if I know where the Eden is located, would it be good if I would reveal it?

Usually it would be best, if we would just know that we should love others as ourselves. :)

Upvote 0