Are we Given the Spirit to Keep the law?

Are we Given the Spirit to keep the law?

• Total voters

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Question...Are we Given the Spirit to keep the law....when the law has already been fullfilled by Christ.

Or

Are we given the Spirit to fullfill the righteous requirement of the law that to produce love.

Hope to have discussion with others wanting to learn from each other...

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither. We are given the scripture to plant a seed in us that should eventually grow into a tree planted by the rivers of water, springing up into everlasting life......depending on the the ground this seed falls on....

EDIT:
although I stand by my words....they dont apply here, as I mis-took "spirit" for "Scripture." Getting the spirit to keep laws doesnt make sense to me, as the young rich man kept the law, without the spirit, and it still wasn't enough to obtain eternal life.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question...Are we Given the Spirit to keep the law....when the law has already been fullfilled by Christ.

Or

Are we given the Spirit to fullfill the righteous requirement of the law that to produce love.

NC Christians have the Law of Christ, OC Judaism has the Law of Moses

Hebrews 10:28
Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Lazarus

Luke 16:26

And upon all of these between us[Faith/Life] and ye[Law/Death] a great chasm/gulf hath been established
so that those willing to cross-over/diabhnai <1224> (5629) hence toward ye no may be able,
neither thence toward us may be ferrying/diaperwsin <1276> (5725)

Hebrews 11:29
By Faith they crossed-over/diebhsan <1224> (5627) the Red Sea as thru Dry, which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither. We are given the scripture to plant a seed in us that should eventually grow into a tree planted by the rivers of water, springing up into everlasting life......depending on the the ground this seed falls on....
I am not following your post. Are you saying that scripture is the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Or

We are given the Spirit in order to be transformed to become like Christ.

Christ did fulfill the Law. Moral truths do not vary - it is still wrong to hurt others in any way, for example. By acting in love, we generally make the best and most Christ-like choices, which is a small part of forming Him within us.

Thoughts based in legalism are not helpful though, and can even be spiritually damaging, such as if they instill pride or lead us to act in legalistic ways that are unloving.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not following your post. Are you saying that scripture is the Holy Spirit?
"But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

I understand your point. I mistook "Spirit", for "scripture". Guess that made better sense to me than giving the spirit to keep law.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

I understand your point. I mistook "Spirit", for "scripture". Guess that made better sense to me than giving the spirit to keep law.
I have to confess that the title wss odd to me as well. I just thought another SDA member was at it again.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The answer is given clearly in the Scriptures

Matthew 22:37-40 (RSV)
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another
; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

John 14: 15-17a
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth...

Galatians 5: 22-24
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The answer is given clearly in the Scriptures

Matthew 22:37-40 (RSV)
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another
; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

John 14: 15-17a
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth...

Galatians 5: 22-24
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Thanks Mona ...for those scriptures..Especially:
"Against those things there is no law"
Having conversation with A seventh Day of Adventist...and this Helps settle the question in my mind some.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Or

We are given the Spirit so we can develop a relationship with our Father in heaven, I believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or

I suppose we need to define the term "the law". It seems to mean different things to different people.

I define the term "the law" as the law God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses. The 613 laws that included the Ten Commandments.

Not to be confused with "God's law" of conscience, which was from the beginning (sort of) or with "Christ's law" that Jesus replaced "the law" with. Christ's law is the law that is now written on our hearts.

Not a popular view, but that's how I define these things currently.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suppose we need to define the term "the law". It seems to mean different things to different people.

I define the term "the law" as the law God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses. The 613 laws that included the Ten Commandments.

Not to be confused with "God's law" of conscience, which was from the beginning (sort of) or with "Christ's law" that Jesus replaced "the law" with. Christ's law is the law that is now written on our hearts.

Not a popular view, but that's how I define these things currently.
That's where my views are headed....
That we keep the spiritual laws...

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's where my views are headed....
That we keep the spiritual laws...
Thanks. I look forward to reading your views on that. Here's the verse where I get the three basic kinds of law. You have probably seen me post it before.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Or

A good Bible study topic. What are all the things that the Holy Spirit in us does? For example, one is that he comforts us.

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (John 16:13, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Question...Are we Given the Spirit to keep the law....when the law has already been fullfilled by Christ....

Bible tells the law is fulfilled, if we love others as ourselves.

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

I think that is good way and I want to live that way, not because of some reward, but because it is good and I love God. :)

Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. I look forward to reading your views on that. Here's the verse where I get the three basic kinds of law. You have probably seen me post it before.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.
Thanks for that passages!

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A good Bible study topic. What are all the things that the Holy Spirit in us does? For example, one is that he comforts us.

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (John 16:13, 1984 NIV)
I like that....

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or

It depends on which Law you are talking about. As New Covenant believers, the Law of Moses no longer applies - all 613 commandments (which includes the Ten Commandments – see 2 Cor. 3:7). It has been rendered useless. Because Christ is the end of the Law (Rom. 10:4), the Mosaic Law is now void as it cannot serve in justification nor sanctification (Heb. 7:18-19 and Gal. 2:16). Yet, Christians are now under the Law of Christ (Gal. 6:2 and Rom. 8:2). Typically there is confusion among believers as to which of the OC laws we are “still” under, this being due to the fact that there are some similarities between the two Laws. However, these commandments are still two distinct and separate systems with two entirely different purposes.

You mentioned that you've been conversing with a Seventh Day Adventist (been there...) so I would steer him/her to James 2:10. While modern-day bibles divide up the Law into ceremonial, legal, and moral commandments for the ease of study, the Mosaic Law was in reality viewed as one single unit without division.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It depends on which Law you are talking about. As New Covenant believers, the Law of Moses no longer applies - all 613 commandments (which includes the Ten Commandments – see 2 Cor. 3:7). It has been rendered useless. Because Christ is the end of the Law (Rom. 10:4), the Mosaic Law is now void as it cannot serve in justification nor sanctification (Heb. 7:18-19 and Gal. 2:16). Yet, Christians are now under the Law of Christ (Gal. 6:2 and Rom. 8:2). Typically there is confusion among believers as to which of the OC laws we are “still” under, this being due to the fact that there are some similarities between the two Laws. However, these commandments are still two distinct and separate systems with two entirely different purposes.

You mentioned that you've been conversing with a Seventh Day Adventist (been there...) so I would steer him/her to James 2:10. While modern-day bibles divide up the Law into ceremonial, legal, and moral commandments for the ease of study, the Mosaic Law was in reality viewed as one single unit without division.
My thoughts on the "2 laws" I believe is how they come about....for lack of better wording.

Under the old Cov, just maybe love couldn't be kept in terms of ourselves...because it wouldn't be genuine. Another words the love would need to stem from true love. How then could love come from a place of condemnation...but let me look at the law under the old Cov just to see how it is written. Another thought is How can you love without first having love or a pure heart.

However under the new covenant Faith in Christ "produces" for lack of better word love.
It makes you want to love as for the connectivity of the relationship, even forgiveness, peace, joy, life, are part of having a connection through faith. After you see what you get from that connection...sometimes even that is the force behind why we want to love. To Sum it up God is behind it all, but there is a way we must come to Him......sometimes wonder if he has a body soul and spirit..or rather parts that like a human relationship that allow a person into his heart.

I can't say we are given the Spirit to keep the law..But we know the law is kept having followed after the leading of the Spirit. For we know when we walk in the Spirit the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.

So you said, The Law of Moses could not justify us nor sanctify....But why do you add sanctify. For isn't sanctification away of not only purifying ourselves through our walk...but also staying away from things that lead others from entering the kingdom?

My first thought was we are given the Spirit to hold up or establish the law.
For without holding up to its standards how shall one have peace with God. Therefore by the inside being clean the outside is too...
The Law of Moses were things that were done out of our own power...yet the flesh was taken over by Satan that we became creatures of habit.

Anyway, I would not say one is given the Spirit of Christ to stive to keep the law. Yet we fullfill the law as Christ did when we walk by the spirit. For we are all the body of Christ...therefore it would be fitting for us to comform to his likeness.

Those are my thoughts let me know what you think.

Peace and blessings to all that are living to have purpose to lift up the name of Jesus...
For He said if I be lifted up from the earth He would draw ALL men unto himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bible tells the law is fulfilled, if we love others as ourselves.

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

I think that is good way and I want to live that way, not because of some reward, but because it is good and I love God. :)
What does that mean to you that Jesus fulfilled the law?

Upvote 0