Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If we were doing enough, there'd be no more poor.

Wrong. If we eliminated their poverty in the short term they would quickly find ways to return to it, mainly by immediately increasing their birth rates to unsustainable levels.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
My question is: can we help more?

This depends, if you send money to an organization, there is no proof that is will help anyone, and most of us can not visit other counties to help. So this would depend on their communities all the same.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This depends, if you send money to an organization, there is no proof that is will help anyone, and most of us can not visit other counties to help. So this would depend on their communities all the same.
Churches should join forces to address this problem. They have the experience and wealth for such an endeavor.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
From what i understand, our nation is just about the most generous in the world. We give BIG TIME to other nations. I do as well. Many who i know do as well.

In addition, i give to the homeless who i see, many times surprising them as they are huddled under blankets on the sidewalk, benches, bus shelters, etc.

I give as God gives me the unction, and sometimes i seek them out because i know where their huddling places are.

I know what it's like to be homeless and actually sleep on concrete. It's something i will never forget.

To give is a blessing to me.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's easy to be overwhelmed. "What can I do? If I gave everything I have to the poor, it would only buy a meal for a tiny percentage of them."

You can't help everyone. But you can help someone. Do that, and it will be remembered.

Matthew 25:37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? [38] And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? [39] Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? [40] And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From what i understand, our nation is just about the most generous in the world. We give BIG TIME to other nations. I do as well. Many who i know do as well.

In addition, i give to the homeless who i see, many times surprising them as they are huddled under blankets on the sidewalk, benches, bus shelters, etc.

I give as God gives me the unction, and sometimes i seek them out because i know where their huddling places are.

I know what it's like to be homeless and actually sleep on concrete. It's something i will never forget.

To give is a blessing to me.
Thank you brinny. Putting the US government aside, do you think the church has enough power and influence via media and diplomacy to help kids in poverty stricken nations?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or at least no more poor that inst being fed a healthy diet.

Healthy diet = false sense of security = increased birthrate = eventual poverty all over again. The math is simple. Fewer people means a greater share of their meager resources. Of course their main problem is tribalism. If they can just outnumber the other tribe they can take control and prosper.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's easy to be overwhelmed. "What can I do? If I gave everything I have to the poor, it would only buy a meal for a tiny percentage of them."

You can't help everyone. But you can help someone. Do that, and it will be remembered.

Matthew 25:37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? [38] And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? [39] Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? [40] And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.
Can our words be helpful? Should we address this problem with dialogue?

Proverbs 31:8 Open your mouth for the mute,
For the [a]rights of all the unfortunate.
9 Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And [c]defend the rights of the afflicted and needy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you brinny. Putting the US government aside, do you think the church has enough power and influence via media and diplomacy to help kids in poverty stricken nations?

They already do. BIG TIME. More could give, however.

In addition, we all could give to the ones suffering homelessness right under our noses, right in our own back yards.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Healthy diet = false sense of security = increased birthrate = eventual poverty all over again. The math is simple. Fewer people means a greater share of their meager resources. Of course their main problem is tribalism. If they can just outnumber the other tribe they can take control and prosper.
What about sharing our food and the Gospel? Wouldn't that be good?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Churches should join forces to address this problem. They have the experience and wealth for such an endeavor.

I agree, but there is a problem, most of the churches do not give to the homeless or hurting low-income families. If they did there would be no problems as most all the churches do get billions in donations each year. But still, do not give as they should. It's sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

1811zitrkwkyxgif.gif

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, but there is a problem, most of the churches do not give to the homeless or hurting low-income families. If they did there would be no problems as most all the churches do get billions in donations each year. But still, do not give as they should. It's sad.

Churches are tasked by God to provide for their own poor first, which most do. My church was a magnet for poor people, and we helped them as much as our budget would allow. That said the outreach programs of the world's religions is enormous. But the poor are a bottomless pit of need which can not be satisfied.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We could all give anonymously. For instance, if we know a family, like a single mom, is struggling, we could leave a food box at her front door and ring the bell and leave.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why are there still millions of kids starving in Africa?

It's an unsolvable problem. As Jesus said, "The poor will always be with you". It doesn't matter how much we give and sacrifice. Poverty is 'evil' and must be viewed as such, for it's causes. As long as evil exists there will be poverty.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0