Are we crossing a bright red line in the Roy Moore case?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Hank77

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe it. A lot of people would vote for Satan himself if he supported the right policies. It's an interesting ethical question just how much the personal character of someone matters if the alternative is someone whose policies you abhor. I don't think the right answer is obvious.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The party of life, family and religious freedom one e prided itself on sticking to his principals:It demanded the resignation of party leaders who crossed a bright red line.

Continued below.
Are We Crossing a Bright Red Line in the Roy Moore Case?
Some crossed the line in voting for Trump. Others crossed the line voting for Hillary. Crossing the line is easy. It's getting back on to the right side of the line again which is hard once you've crossed it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't think that conservatives are crossing a that particular red line. I think it was crossed a good while ago.
And I hear about Al Franken how 'supportive' he is of women. So his behavior should be tolerated by feminists for some greater good or something. Hugh Heffner was very 'supportive' of women too, so they could get abortions and still be bunnies. Point is both sides cross the line regularly and support scoundrels. And we all have to stop supporting scoundrels.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
All this stuff from 30 years ago seems suspicious
He has not been proven of anything yet
True. It is POSSIBLE that he has been falsely accused by political hacks. Does SEEM like a lot of allegations against Moore though. I wonder, if his opponent wins and the accusations are found to be false, would his opponent step down? I doubt it. If Moore does win, and the accusations are found to be true, would he resign? I doubt that too. And the Senate Ethics Committee is historically mostly cover for nasty senators.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Human beings are flawed. And human beings with the sorts of personalities that, in a democracy, push to the front shouting "Vote for me!", and who actually SUCCEED at it, are generally doubly so.

In a monarchy, such as that under which the ancients of the Bible, both testaments, lived, politics was not a province of the people at all. Nor was it during the Reformation: all government was hereditary monarchy then.

The age of revolution added a wrinkle that is not discussed in Scripture, because it didn't exist, and that is not much discussed in the theology of the Reformation either (because where it did spring up, democracy was associated with the Anabaptists, and they were violently crushed out by Lutheran and Anglican or Catholic princes wherever they arose - EVERY crowned head felt threatened by THAT).

But revolution did come, first to the Americans, then to the French, and from them, to all of Europe. The people took the crown off the king's head, broke the crown into a million pieces, and each took a piece for themselves. So now, thanks to this, we ALL are fractions of the king. Our ancestors had no political responsibility (unless they were nobles), but we have all of the political responsibility. It's not an easy burden, because people strive for every office, constantly, and offices in America have tremendous power within their sphere.

Usually the question is a matter of which sinner your own sinful self decides to vote for, and that's usually based on a tribal partisanship.

But most of us don't like to look at ourselves that way, so we claim (and really believe) that our choices are principled, not petty and partisan. And maybe that's even true. It almost doesn't make a difference. In virtually every election the choice is between a Democrat and a Republican, one one will win and add his own not-very-important vote and voice to a throng of politicians who haggle out the laws.

If we could draft people into office wwe would have very different governors. But we can't. Instead , we have to choose from the sort of men and women who thrust themselves forward clamoring for a vote and support. And they're usually quite imperfect, because they are headstrong, and generally more vain than is healthy.

Upvote 0