Are we children of the left-behind in the first century?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The rapture happens at the end of the world after the resurrection. Scripture doesn't mention a pre-trib rapture.
The op doesn't ask about that.
Actually, it is difficult to say what the op is seeking..... It is not clear at all in the title nor in the first post.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The op doesn't ask about that.
Actually, it is difficult to say what the op is seeking..... It is not clear at all in the title nor in the first post.
I think my question is clear:
If the rapture, taking the church to Christ, happened in the first century as the first church expected, what does it mean to us, who live 2,000 years after it.

What are our goals, what applies to us from the New Testament etc.

I suppose just the judgement after the physical death?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the rapture in 70 AD is true, where does it leave us?

What is expected from us, what is our goal? Also, what from the New Testament apply to us?
Good questions which preterists have no answer to.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If the rapture, taking the church to Christ, happened in the first century as the first church expected, what does it mean to us, who live 2,000 years after it.

What are our goals, what applies to us from the New Testament etc.
Not clear at all.
THe "IF" is a false premise, as if leading to a false gospel teaching.
IF you want to know, find out the truth.
IF you don't want to know, < shrugs > , I don't know what you should do.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Should we assume someone is unsaved because of their questions ? I don't think so.
Let's agree with the site rules,
and assume someone is saved, not that they are a preterist, okay ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
i.e. might not be good questions, UNLESS someone is asking for the truth in answers, and not in support or trying to support a false (anathema(accursed)) gospel.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not clear at all.
THe "IF" is a false premise, as if leading to a false gospel teaching.
IF you want to know, find out the truth.
IF you don't want to know, < shrugs > , I don't know what you should do.
I would appreciate if you stop posting in this thread if you do not want to take any "if" and just push your agenda over and over again. Its useful neither to me personally nor to the question.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The resurrection hasn't already happened.

When Christ comes, and the dead are raised, then Christ delivers all things to the Father and God is all in all--new heavens and new earth, the former things are gone, no more death, disease, toil, and strife.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the rapture in 70 AD is true, where does it leave us?

Hello solid. What you are describing I have heard before and I believe is a false teaching. It is a little beyond a doctrine that is popular in many denominations- an extreme form of 'Preterism'.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello solid. What you are describing I have heard before and I believe is a false teaching. It is a little beyond a doctrine that is popular in many denominations- an extreme form of 'Preterism'.

God Bless :)
Yes, I noticed that full preterists are optimists (we are living in the kingdom of God), but it seems to be that they ignore that the one who were not taken were the ones left behind, "outside", in "darkness" and doors were shut.

So if we are children of the ones left behind, we are living either in:
- hell
- outside darkness
- or are just left behind

In any of these cases, what should we do to be saved and what should we expect after death?

• Agree
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello solid core. I have spoken to some people who believe we are living in the Millenial Kingdom ever since the Roman Emperors made Christianity the official state religion or since Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans in 70AD. Of course it's more than a millenium, but the thousand years is seen as allegorical anyway.

Any reference to Israel/the Jews/ Jerusalem is seen as a spiritual reference to the church. All the bible passages referring to the return of the Jews to a literal Israel, then the physical return of the Lord to that literal Israel are ignored or spiritualized to mean the church.

For example- Micah 4:1-2 would somehow be referring to the church

So the return of the Lord is equated with church activities.

It's a very odd and distorted theology, I would advise you not to get into it. But I would wonder, if they don't believe in a physical return of the Lord, do they believe in a physical resurrection? God Bless :)

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That didn't happen and no record of history records such a world changing event. As others have said, the rapture happens after the resurrection and that only happens after the second coming so any idea of an AD70 rapture would be full preterism which means all prophecies fulfilled already which clearly cannot be true. Neither the second coming, the resurrection of the dead in Christ nor the rapture have yet happened. Every generation thought they were the one to experience those things but they were all wrong. In God's own time, it hasn't even been two days since the cross so a very short time in a spiritual sense.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The resurrection hasn't already happened.

When Christ comes, and the dead are raised, then Christ delivers all things to the Father and God is all in all--new heavens and new earth, the former things are gone, no more death, disease, toil, and strife.

-CryptoLutheran

Indeed, this is correct eschatology. The whole rapture bit, and pre-millenial dispensationism, largely came from John Nelson Darby, an influential leader in the 19th century British denomination known as the Plymouth brethren.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Pre-trib rapture bit. The "rapture bit" came from Christ and Paul.

The specific interpretation of vertical ascent is not seen in the iconographic tradition of the early Church. The earliest image I can think of which “went there” was Michelangelo’s vulgar The Last Judgement on the reredos of the Sistine Chapel.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The specific interpretation of vertical ascent is not seen in the iconographic tradition of the early Church.

That's strange since it was described by Paul.

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Seems pretty hard to miss.

Upvote 0