Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I reach into a vat of 10,000 marbles and pull out 1. Using inductive reasoning, what is the more logical conclusion?

1. That’s the only re marble in the vat.

2. All of the marbles must be red.
3. Some of the marbles must be red.

So let’s expand that to the universe around us. We have one star in our solar system and it supports life. We know that the vast majority of stars also have planets. Given that there could be over 100 billion stars, and given that 100% of the stars we can closely investigate have planets which support life, using inductive reasoning, what is the more logical conclusion?

1. There is only life on one planet and we’re it.

2. There is a chance of life on other planets.
3. Life is common throughout the galaxy.

The Bible doesn’t specifically state whether or not there is alien life. It concerns itself with our existence. Some verses, such as “The sons of God looked down upon the daughters of man,” could suggest an extra-terrestrial involvement. So could what was described in Ezekhiel 1. Given that every year we discover new species previously unknown on earth, and given the vastness of space, how are we to conclude that we are alone in the universe?

Your thoughts?

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I reach into a vat of 10,000 marbles and pull out 1. Using inductive reasoning, what is the more logical conclusion?

So let’s expand that to the universe around us. We have one star in our solar system and it supports life. We know that the vast majority of stars also have planets. Given that there could be over 100 billion stars, and given that 100% of the stars we can closely investigate have planets which support life, using inductive reasoning, what is the more logical conclusion?

The Bible doesn’t specifically state whether or not there is alien life. It concerns itself with our existence. Some verses, such as “The sons of God looked down upon the daughters of man,” could suggest an extra-terrestrial involvement. So could what was described in Ezekhiel 1. Given that every year we discover new species previously unknown on earth, and given the vastness of space, how are we to conclude that we are alone in the universe?

Your thoughts?
We don't know how life began, so we wouldn't even know the chances of life occurring anywhere. It depends on whether the occurrence of life is up to random chance and natural processes or divine intervention. If the latter, then indeed our planet can be the only one.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
To make any reasonable induction we'd have to know the mechanism by which life came to be. Lacking that critical piece of information, the numbers of things don't tell us anything.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We don't know how life began, so we wouldn't even know the chances of life occurring anywhere. It depends on whether the occurrence of life is up to random chance and natural processes or divine intervention. If the latter, then indeed our planet can be the only one.

Are you saying you don't understand the Biblical teaching on how life as we know it began, or that you just don't subscribe to it? Or whatever else might be the case.

On the OP, anything is possible, and though I don't know, I see it as at least feasible to think there are others....others aside from what we know about. God may have chosen to give us a pretty good idea of all that existed or there is more he chose to keep from us.

IOW, I'm not telling you a thing you don't already know:)

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying you don't understand the Biblical teaching on how life as we know it began, or that you just don't subscribe to it? Or whatever else might be the case.

On the OP, anything is possible, and though I don't know, I see it as at least feasible to think there are others....others aside from what we know about. God may have chosen to give us a pretty good idea of all that existed or there is more he chose to keep from us.

IOW, I'm not telling you a thing you don't already know:)
I know God created life, whether He chose to do so by miraculous means or natural processes I don't know, I wasn't there. :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?

"We have one star in our solar system and it supports life."

That is how the scientific society presents , but does God present it so?

And God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; and the stars.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know God created life, whether He chose to do so by miraculous means or natural processes I don't know, I wasn't there. :)

Okay, maybe it' just me but the following seemed to more than indicate it either happened by itself of by divine intervention. IOW, either he did or he didn't create it.

It depends on whether the occurrence of life is up to random chance and natural processes or divine intervention.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know God created life, whether He chose to do so by miraculous means or natural processes I don't know, I wasn't there.

And either way, we don't know that He didn't do it more than once.

I read an interesting article in Skeptic magazine (which is not religious by any means) on why higher-order life may be so rare in the universe that we never, ever, meet any others. There are too many (and a growing number) of low-probablity events that occurred to permit higher-order life on this planet.

Of course, in an infinite universe, even extremely low-probability events will have many times, but the chance of them happening within reasonable range of contact with each other is itself another low probability event.

So "alone in the universe" or "not alone, but no reasonable chance of ever discovering anyone else" is a difference that makes no difference, therefore is no difference.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's actually a TV program on the History channel called Ancient Aliens, they make connections to the Bible and extraterrestrial life.

The problem with those programs on History Channel (and not just programs having to do with the Bible) is that they interview both recognized scholars and unsupported crackpots and given them equivalent weight.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So let’s expand that to the universe around us. We have one star in our solar system and it supports life. We know that the vast majority of stars also have planets. Given that there could be over 100 billion stars, and given that 100% of the stars we can closely investigate have planets which support life,

That has not been determined. We have not found life on any other planet than Earth, period. So it cannot be said "planets which support life" when no other planet has been found to support life. There have been found other planets that appear to be terrestrial--that is, rocky instead of gaseous--and within a distance from their stars that would not make chemical reactions impossible. But no planet has actually been discovered harboring life but our own.

So your second "given" is not a given at all and no conclusion can be logically drawn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with those programs on History Channel (and not just programs having to do with the Bible) is that they interview both recognized scholars and unsupported crackpots and given them equivalent weight.

Exactly, it's a show.

And I've seen them run shows to attempt to disprove the bible as well. It's about whatever they think people will find interesting, true or not. Thing is, with their name, one might actually take them seriously as honest history buffs, but again, just a show to make a buck.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's numerous possibilities.
1. We're the first. Some civilization has to be.
2. We're the last. Again, some civilization has to be.
3. There's life elsewhere now.
4. We're the only one that will be.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would there be billions of planets, light years away, if we're the only ones?
That's what I don't understand.

My earthly father did things I cannot to this day figure out the reason for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the first couple posts in that it's a numbers challenge. If there's an interactive God in the picture, then the odds of life are equal to divine will. Which means it's entirely impossible to know the answer and a conclusion of "no life elsewhere" is the same as the conclusion "life elsewhere": both invalid.

If "chance" is at play; then we have to know the chances of life or else: both invalid. Since we don't know the chances of life; both conclusions are equally invalid. All we're left with is "maybe?" The amount of stars in the universe is irrelevant since we can't compute the odds without knowing the odds of life. It may be that the odds are high, thus the universe teeming. It may also be the odds are low; thus, not teeming. It may even be that the odds of life are greater than the number of stars in the universe and not only are we alone; but the fact that we exist at all defies the odds in a statistical miracle.

I, of course, go with divine will, so; but if chance is at play, my real question and reasoning for doubting life elsewhere is because: why isn't there life in our solar system on other planets? People will knee-jerk a response "Because the environments are inhospitable!" but that's only true for life that is native to earth. Something living on Mars would find Mars, naturally, quite hospitable, being formed to exist on Mars; and would find Earth to be inhospitable.

If we find on Earth atoms and molecules that begin combining into a domino-effect toward life; why not on Venus? Mars? The Moon? Jupiter? Any of the moons of other planets? If atoms lead to molecules lead to dominoes lead to animation; why not other atoms lead to other molecules lead to other dominoes lead to other animation? I've heard the saying "Life finds a way" but, apparently not on any other place but Earth. Why is that?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your thoughts?

Jesus only has saved humans. We are the image of God, alone.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus only has saved humans. We are the image of God, alone.

On this world, for sure.

We have no way of knowing what God has done elsewhere. The bible says nothing about the existence of the Americas, so we have no reason to think it's silence about life on other worlds is conclusive about anything, either.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't see why life on other planets wouldn't exist.
Maybe God has a set of rules for us earthlings, and different sets of rules for other species.
Animals aren't human, right?
But they live on planet Earth.
Who says there aren't other species on other planets?
It's very possible, logical, and likely to me.
Why have rules? maybe the rules we try to adhere to are man made? Maybe God is up there shaking his head at our stupidity.

Upvote 0