Are we allowed by God to study the Greek language through the Bible?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And are we allowed to write in order to practice the Greek?

Which line of manuscripts are we allowed to write?

And would this be risky because of the damnable sin (A sin that cannot be forgiven if done by any man).

Revelation and Deuteronomy has a curse to whoever does something which I have no clue what that something is.

Someone claimed if you use a new Bible version then you may qualify for that sin.

I have used the NIV and even quoted from it in the past.

I have even written Bible verses on a note book before.

I don't think I did the sin. But I am unsure.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused. Of course you're allowed to study Greek. It's a good language to know, if you want to engage in serious Bible study. And part of learning a language is reading it and writing it, so, yes, you're allowed to write sentences in Greek, both original ones and ones copied out of the Bible.

The curse in Revelation is just about adding to the book of Revelation. As long as you're not writing a new chapter and claiming it's part of the book of Revelation, you're fine.

There are many good English translations of the Bible. The NIV is one of them.

It sounds like someone has been frightening you with threats that are not in the Christian mainstream and that do not have adequate justification. What have you been hearing people say, and what justification do they give for their ideas?

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

And would this be risky because of the damnable sin (A sin that cannot be forgiven if done by any man).

Revelation and Deuteronomy has a curse to whoever does something which I have no clue what that something is.

Someone claimed if you use a new Bible version then you may qualify for that sin.

Studying in the Greek is not for everyone although with persevering and diligent study one can be greatly encouraged

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You've been duped. You are free to write and read whatever you like. John pronounced a curse on anyone taking away or adding to his book of Revelation. Since the canon is closed no one can be cursed except those who publish false versions or translations (Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses) and even those aren't cursed necessarily since it is unclear that John's curse applies to his gospel or other books of the Bible.

So write away.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I study the Bible by taking notes to me this is the deal

Are you taking notes for yourself if so id say your okay this is what I do

Or

Are you writting what you want to pass it off as the original this is what I believe the issue was

To translate I would make sure you are fluent in both language s

My NT is 1890s and in English but it says "translated from original Greek diligently compared" in this I see no issue

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Considering that the New Testament was originally written in Greek, any of the English translations would be "new Bible versions" by comparison. You probably ran into a King James Only-ist, who seem to believe that the books in the Bible were written in 17th century English from the very beginning and in that very format, and that anything different from King James English, no matter what century you live in or what country you are from, is heresy. :)

Enjoy the original Greek if you decide to study it. It can help at times when people are trying to scam or con you concerning scripture interpretation too, which is likely another reason some people would do anything to get you to avoid it if it goes against their agenda.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Greek Orthodox Church seems to be okay with it.

I'm not sure exactly what your question is but it seems to be based on the superstitions of some of the people you've been talking to. I know there exists among some "King James only" types the belief that any other translation of the bible is somehow heretical, but there is nothing to it. I mention the Greek Church because it is, obviously, Greek speaking and uses no translation at all.

The curse of Revelation against anyone who would change its wording was directed at the gnostics of the time. Those groups would not only forge their own versions of the gospels but also corrupt Christian writings to reflect their own beliefs.

So yes, it's perfectly fine to study Greek even by using the bible.

Upvote 0