Are we alive because of the spirit of God?

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe so. The Spirit is what animates the clay, so to speak. It's the source of conscious experience and is a part of God (not God; in the sense that say, 1-10 are a part of all numbers but not the full set of all numbers). It's basically what we call consciousness with man being "in the image" of God in that we can comprehend abstract (or, spiritual) things.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe that God provides the spirit of life to all living creatures and that's why they are alive. Is that a Christian belief?

Sure.

But it leaves undefined what is "the spirit of life".

How about telling us what "the spirit of life" is, in your thinking?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that God provides the spirit of life to all living creatures and that's why they are alive. Is that a Christian belief?

Animals are not given the Spirit of life. That is why we can eat them.

7925868_f520.jpg

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sure.

But it leaves undefined what is "the spirit of life".

I guess I believe God provides life to plants, animals, mankind. I found this one scripture while looking, but the Bible doesn't seem to have much on the issue except eternal life to the angels of heaven:

Luke:

{20:36} Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

{20:37} Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

{20:38} For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Thanks for your guys replies :)

[edit] interestingly the body of an animal must still have some life in it when you eat it although the animal is dead, otherwise you wouldn't get any life from it. It would make you sick if it was too rotted?

Also Jesus gave bread and said that it was his body?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God is the Source of all life.

So in that way, yes, it is a Christian belief.

But people have developed many ways if talking about things, and it becomes easy for us to misunderstand each other. If they read something else into the question, then you may get various responses.

But without God upholding our very breath and being, there would be no life. This includes all living creatures, yes.

• Agree
Reactions: Greg J.
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God is the Source of all life.

So in that way, yes, it is a Christian belief.

But people have developed many ways if talking about things, and it becomes easy for us to misunderstand each other. If they read something else into the question, then you may get various responses.

But without God upholding our very breath and being, there would be no life. This includes all living creatures, yes.

Thanks, I believe what you are saying as it is my belief, also I found this in Matthew:
{6:26} Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

{edit} Also for Balaam's donkey to speak implies a witness as a holy command:
Numbers {22:28} And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times? {22:29} And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I
would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee. {22:30} And the ass said unto Balaam, [Am] not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since [I was] thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I believe God provides life to plants, animals, mankind. I found this one scripture while looking, but the Bible doesn't seem to have much on the issue except eternal life to the angels of heaven:

Luke:

{20:36} Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

{20:37} Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

{20:38} For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Thanks for your guys replies :)

[edit] interestingly the body of an animal must still have some life in it when you eat it although the animal is dead, otherwise you wouldn't get any life from it. It would make you sick if it was too rotted?

Also Jesus gave bread and said that it was his body?

Couldn't we just simplify the statement and point out how God gives life to all living things?

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Couldn't we just simplify the statement and point out how God gives life to all living things?

Yes, that is my belief. So then there appears to be different points of view about whether or not that is correct for Christianity? Which was my question since there wasn't a lot in the scriptures regarding it. Right now I believe God is the life of the living things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Sorry I should have been more specific as you had requested. To be more specific, I believe that God in the Living Spirit Fills the body of all living things and provides life that they live. That the spirit of life is part of the spirit of God. That living things have a spirit and a body and that God provides spirit of life to them. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I should have been more specific as you had requested. To be more specific, I believe that God in the Living Spirit Fills the body of all living things and provides life that they live. That the spirit of life is part of the spirit of God. That living things have a spirit and a body and that God provides spirit of life to them. Does that make sense?

This begins to get a little more problematic.

God IS Spirit, yes. And the Holy Spirit (Who is a Person of the Holy Trinity) IS present everywhere.

But the "spirit" that God gives, which is life, to all things is NOT the same as the Holy Spirit. That would make everything God, which is not possible. Instead, we are given a spirit, which IS life, but our spirit is distinct from the Holy Spirit. However, the Holy Spirit can ALSO live in a person, which happens when we become Christians (and temporarily to those God chose under the Old Covenant).

But we must not confuse our spirits with the Holy Spirit. Angels are also spirits, and demons are spirits. Animals have a kind of animating spirit, different from humans. Most importantly, though, the Holy Spirit IS God, but He is distinct from us and everything else in His creation.

• Agree
Reactions: Greg J.
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

In the sense that God holds all things together and sustains the universe by His will, yes; and that He has made us alive by His creative work as the Maker of all things, yes. If you mean that the quality of having biological life is somehow a mystical extension of God's self, then that would be entirely too close to pantheism for me to be comfortable with it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That would be pantheism basically, and that's wrong.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well now I want you to define what "the spirit of life" is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well now I want you to define what "the spirit of life" is.

I'm not sure it's my right to define the spirit of life or even that I could. Except to say that I breath because of thought from God's spirit and my heart beats because of his spirit and that he can provide even extended life of his spirit:

Genesis: {6:3} And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also [is] flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

I think God would have to answer your question to give any more detailed information?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well it says >

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2)

So, the "Spirit of life" is able to make someone free from the effects of sin and death. A person in Jesus becomes alive in love, with Jesus Christ's almighty immunity against how sin and death would effect us. This comes with growing; we are works in progress :)

And Paul says God made us alive, after we were "dead in sins and trespasses" (in Ephesians 2:1). We were made alive in God's love > Romans 5:5. And the life of God's love keeps us away from how sin and death would effect us (1 John 4:17). Paul shows this, in how he says a person living for pleasure is dead >

"But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives." (1 Timothy 5:6)

So, from these I get that the Holy Spirit is God's "Spirit of life", and this Holy Spirit made us become alive, after we had been "dead in sins and trespasses". So, we were love-dead, in sin, though our bodies were physically active.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here is something I found last night, it says something about we are in God and God in us, and it also mentions living of God I think:

John: {14:19} Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. {14:20} At that day ye shall know that I [am] in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Upvote 0