Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I'm speaking specifically about the United States, though I welcome thoughts and opinions from all. What do you think?

As a UK citizen I think there are elements of racism in all countries .

You Americans did yourself proud when you elected President Obama .

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals

To play Devil's Advocate - though I don't personally believe it was entirely the situation in Obama's election - if people are just voting the minority in because they're a racial minority candidate, I don't really know if I'd call that a step forward. The best person for the job, should be the one voted in or given the position.

Then again, I'm a woman and can't stand Secretary Clinton.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't include myself in any cultural or national "we", nor do I think that an accurate cultural statement can be made about any group of 300,000,000 individuals. However, there is a political culture within America - I assume you are referring to that - and its members tend to be race-obsessed. The fact that they make policy decisions based upon the skin-color of their constituents is proof enough of that. But rather than calling them "race obsessed" I prefer just to call them "racist". Does a person's skin color matter to you beyond acknowledging their appearance? If so, then you're probably a racist. You might not be a bigot, but I see no purpose to limiting the term "racist" only to bigots when it's just as silly and collectivist a way of viewing people in any case.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
From what i've seen humans from across the globe are equally obsessed* with ethnicity and what not. They all draw up stereotypes and assumptions based on what someone looks like and some take it to more extreme lengths than others. Trinidad and Tobago free from racial slurs? That's news to me. I've been informed that it is most definitely present and there are slurs there just as there are in America.

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=387
"that racism perpetrated by certain indo-trinis needs to be eradicated (like any other kind of racism)."
"Dark-skin Indians in Trinidad have been victims of racism from the time they entered Trinidad in the late 19th century."

Whilst generally harmonious there are still racist element existing in most countries, humans like to discriminate it seems.

*as in making it a bigger issue than it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

On the contrary: we set race relations in this country back three decades. We confirmed that we still do look at race before content of character or qualifications, and we made it acceptable to label mass quantities of people "racists" just because they disagree with someone--where the "race card" was starting to fade away bit by bit.

We will not be a post-racial society until a minority presidential candidate loses to a white male.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
On the contrary: we set race relations in this country back three decades. We confirmed that we still do look at race before content of character or qualifications, and we made it acceptable to label mass quantities of people "racists" just because they disagree with someone--where the "race card" was starting to fade away bit by bit.

We will not be a post-racial society until a minority presidential candidate loses to a white male.

Picking Sarah Palin as the running mate didn't exactly make McCain appear like the best choice, there, either though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It certainly got people to vote, but probably not for the right reasons.. but honestly.. I might be an advocate for the right not to vote.

Well... y'all probably know how I feel about that, me being a member of the League of Nonvoters and all.

Upvote 0