• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Are they still classified as virgins?

• Total voters

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that they were physically violated, but still pure of heart. I was nearly a victim to it but didn't succeed. I do know that many people around the world struggle with this, and it has been in my head.

Are virgins who were raped still virgin? What does the bible say about the virginity of a rape victim?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hard to say; I think this will become more a conversation over the meaning of the word "virgin" as opposed to actually giving a good answer.

The best we can do is see the purity in rape victims, ourselves included if need be. Legalism is an easy trap to fall into, where we can think, "Oh, he/she's not a virgin, so I shouldn't be with them", through no fault of the victim.

Rape is a horrific crime that leaves so many questions; I have no direct experience with it, but 2 very good friends of mine were almost raped, so I'm more familiar with it than I'd like to be.

Prayers going out for all of you, victims & perpetrators, to find the peace & love that Jesus so dearly wants to give you all; kyrie eleison (Lord have mercy).

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
By the way, this website has great resources for all sorts of questions about Christian sexuality; not sure how much is specifically on rape, but Theology of the Body is something life-changing when you come to understand it, and if everyone did, rape would be unheard of. A lot about inappropriate content, dating, and other aspects of sexuality.

Hope it helps, to at least direct your thoughts in better directions.

Chastity Project

God be with you.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. The Bible speaks of such unmarried women in different ways, those who are totally undefiled are spoken of as "chaste virgins". Those who may have been assaulted are "just" virgins. (And of course there are the harlots and the married...)

Reactions: DevinCamary
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know that they were physically violated, but still pure of heart. I was nearly a victim to it but didn't succeed. I do know that many people around the world struggle with this, and it has been in my head.

Are virgins who were raped still virgin? What does the bible say about the virginity of a rape victim?
Why do you ask? Why does the question seem to weigh heavy on you?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a rape victim, I still consider myself a virgin. Virginity is a social construct really. I don't think it's something that can or should be forcibly taken from you, but is rather a choice you make (hopefully within marriage).

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I want to address this question very differently than the way it is being asked, because I think a major issue here is how the victim of rape might feel--to say that rape took away their virginity can be emotionally and psychologically more damaging because they may feel that they are somehow less valuable than they were before.

That isn't the case. Whether or not a person is a virgin or not has nothing to do with their value as a human being. If you had consensual sex, and perhaps now regret having done so for whatever reason that may be, you are not less valuable, you are not somehow "damaged", none of those things. If you are a victim of sexual violence, you are not less valuable, you are not "damaged", you are still a human being created in the image of God, with all the inherent dignity that comes with being human.

In the Christian religion we do speak of the virtue of chastity, that making a conscience choice to abstain from sex, either before marriage or as part of a commitment to a life of celibacy; but it is vitally important that in honoring chastity as a virtue of faith we do not promote an unhealthy obsession with "purity". When we focus on "purity" we dehumanize human persons and treat them as commodity, commodity with mutable value based on how "pure" we imagine them to be. That is inherently cruel, violent, and immoral. Instead, chastity is to be valued as a conscious and conscientious choice of disciplining the natural appetites toward a focus of love toward our neighbor in imitation and obedience to Christ. It isn't about "purity", but an attitude of love and compassion.

Virginity, as a concept, does not define who or what a person is; in particular as regards their human worth as God's good creation.

The only one who should be ashamed is the one committing the act of cruel violence against another human being. It is not the victim who is broken or damaged, it is the perpetrator--for in committing cruel and violent acts against others we dehumanize ourselves, we deny the Divine Image in which we were made. It is not the victim who should feel shame, but the perpetrator.

To the victims of such violence the Church must always be a place of healing, welcome, acceptance, and protection. As part of her high calling in Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. The Bible speaks of such unmarried women in different ways, those who are totally undefiled are spoken of as "chaste virgins". Those who may have been assaulted are "just" virgins. (And of course there are the harlots and the married...)

Hmmmm mind if I know where exactly that is said please?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hard to say; I think this will become more a conversation over the meaning of the word "virgin" as opposed to actually giving a good answer.

The best we can do is see the purity in rape victims, ourselves included if need be. Legalism is an easy trap to fall into, where we can think, "Oh, he/she's not a virgin, so I shouldn't be with them", through no fault of the victim.

Rape is a horrific crime that leaves so many questions; I have no direct experience with it, but 2 very good friends of mine were almost raped, so I'm more familiar with it than I'd like to be.

Prayers going out for all of you, victims & perpetrators, to find the peace & love that Jesus so dearly wants to give you all; kyrie eleison (Lord have mercy).
Yeah, those are really good points and i do see victims as pure. but virginity I still am unsure if rape counts. And I am not as good with bible verses so that's why i ask here.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Are virgins who were raped still virgin?

St Augustine has a lengthy discussion of this in his book City of God (he wrote about this because of the rapes of Christian women being done by invading barbarians).

Short answer: yes. Purity is a matter of the soul. An aggressor may harm the body, but this does not touch the soul. Therefore virgins who were raped are still pure; they are still virgins. They day when they consent to sex is still in the future.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
St Augustine has a lengthy discussion of this in his book City of God (he wrote about this because of the rapes of Christian women being done by invading barbarians).

Short answer: yes. Purity is a matter of the soul. An aggressor may harm the body, but this does not touch the soul. Therefore virgins who were raped are still pure; they are still virgins. They day when they consent to sex is still in the future.

Aren't even fornicators who are forgiven in a sense virgins because God doesn't see their sin?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. The Bible speaks of such unmarried women in different ways, those who are totally undefiled are spoken of as "chaste virgins". Those who may have been assaulted are "just" virgins.

Really? I've never heard that before.

In 2 Corinthians 11:2, some translations have the phrase "chaste virgin," although "pure virgin" would be a better translation. I cannot find the phrase "just virgin" in any translation of the Bible.

Reactions: DevinCamary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Really? I've never heard that before.

In 2 Corinthians 11:2, some translations have the phrase "chaste virgin," although "pure virgin" would be a better translation. I cannot find the phrase "just virgin" in any translation of the Bible.

What does that even mean?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Technically speaking if sex takes place, even against your will, you lose your virginity. Biblically this is still the case too. However the victim is still pure in essence. Their virginity was stolen from them. Hopefully no one holds it against someone who was a victim of rape and lost their virginity. And honestly I can say we put an extreme amount of focus on being a virgin as christians and obviously we "should be" virgins of course before we marry. But its not some requirement in order to marry someone. To many hypocrites will judge someone who lost their virginity whether through sex or if they were a victim of a rape.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon

Answering this as a person who was raped as a virgin--

A person who has been raped has sexual experience. That's just a fact. Nothing is going to change that.

But you have not given away your virtue, or yet made love. Those are two VERY different things than just having sex.

Upvote 0