Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Keeping yourself pure for your future partner, is a very good thing to do. Christ expects us to walk in holiness even where our relationships are concerned. Unfortunately though commendable, there aren't many about these days. Abstinence also gives you that peace of mind, because you know that the one you're with, is free from STIs.

It's all about, what one expects to find, in their partner really. I'ld say the 1st thing to look at, is the other person's relationship with the Lord. Where they really stand in relation to Christ, should be the 1st and most important in my opinion.

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the dating scene, there is an unspoken rule about marrying a virgin and rejecting those who aren't. I've seen instances where a friend of mine would out of the blue break up with a great girl/guy. After I ask them why, they simply state, "She/He isn't pure." Is this Biblical to reject a potential spouse just because they had sinned sexually?

That goes without saying, obviously I would not advocate marrying someone who is unrepentant of their sexual sins and most likely carry that into a future marriage. I'm merely asking as it pertains to past mistakes and judging someone on their life before becoming saved.

I myself am not a virgin, so I struggle when looking for a potential spouse as to not "defile someone pure".

well, not everyone grew up in a Christian household so I am sure there are plenty of Christians who are non virgins. Anyone who is in Christ is a new creation. That said I have read a research that says the less partners your spouse has, the higher satisfactions the marriage is likely to be.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Believer000

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Feb 23, 2018
Coventry
✟25,222.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the dating scene, there is an unspoken rule about marrying a virgin and rejecting those who aren't. I've seen instances where a friend of mine would out of the blue break up with a great girl/guy. After I ask them why, they simply state, "She/He isn't pure." Is this Biblical to reject a potential spouse just because they had sinned sexually?

That goes without saying, obviously I would not advocate marrying someone who is unrepentant of their sexual sins and most likely carry that into a future marriage. I'm merely asking as it pertains to past mistakes and judging someone on their life before becoming saved.

I myself am not a virgin, so I struggle when looking for a potential spouse as to not "defile someone pure".

I think it depends on the person. Ideally both would be virgins upon marriage but we live in a fallen world. You wouldn't 'defile someone pure' if you're of the Lord and the marriage is Godly. You're a new creation in Christ.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are two measures by which a Christian can assess your question.

Sin and punishment: This is pretty straightforward, you committed a sin, and any sin that you commit proves that you are a sinner. Taking care of this is pretty straightforward too. Confess and foresake your sin (Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:9) and trust in the sacrifice Jesus gave to forgive it (1 John 2:2, John 3:16). This wipes your sin record before God clean (Jeremiah 31:34).

The consequences of your actions: Scripture teaches us that when people have sex, "the two become one flesh" (Genesis 2:24, 1 Corinthians 6:16). This has plenty of implications for anyone who sins sexually. That means you are, or at very least were one flesh with someone else. You probably remember what happened, which will probably inform any future sexual encounters you might have - which can be a problem if you've acquired a taste for a sexual practice that a future wife would find distasteful. I don't know if you contracted a disease or fathered a child, but those are another couple of consequences that often happen. I don't know if the person you did it with is still alive, and how you two would think of each other if you were to bump into each other again - sometimes people who fornicate with each other get back together - which in turn has consequences for the future marriages of the two people, even if you don't commit adultery by getting together again (especially if you or your future wife has to work with your ex, for instance). And I don't know what dating has looked like since you would have repented of this - have you practiced self-control where you previously failed to, or not? If not, how do you know that you would be more controlled after you are married, should you find yourself in a similar situation?

If a virgin wouldn't want to get together with you for reasons in the first category, she's failing to understand the power and truth of the Gospel. If a virgin wouldn't want to get together with you for reasons in the second category, that's more understandable since there is nothing in Scripture that concretely deals with the second category for all believers while we live in this world. There is therefore no way to objectively know if there has been sufficient healing in those areas that the second category touches to make you a good spouse. I named those areas so that you can prayerfully address them in your own life to mitigate damage to them as much as possible.

Relationship economics is a great point. Many don't realise how significant it is to be "redeemed" (from sin) by God/Christ, to have the Holy Spirit living within. For me and most people I know it just doesn't sink in.

In business/economics, when a thing is made/produced it has value, intrinsic value, materials, design, etc, "good" as God said at Creation. Once that thing is out there into the world, it can be owned/bought/possessed/enslaved/consumed/used (law of ownership). But market value is still unknown. Once it's first bought that's when it's value begins. But with trading (multiple transactions) it's perceived value can go up and up, also generating historical value (or de-value, social stigma) e.g. a car owned by someone famous, many famous people. However with use it's utility diminishes (law of diminishing returns), depreciating it somewhat. e.g. infertility.

So the earlier point on "pair bonding" and decreased likelihood of successful or permanent monogamy is very true. These principals apply to anything. It's the law of nature, law of the jungle. It applies to both a person's property/possessions and personhood (creation and property of God). Our fidelity must be to Christ alone. Same for a spouse.

There are numerous references to this stuff in Scripture, revealing both how sinful/depraved we truly are as sinners, and simultaneously how gracious/loving/merciful God truly is. Also that these so-called laws can be broken by God in miracles. e.g. Christ's first miracle contravened the law of diminishing returns and law of diminishing marginal utility.

"Marginal utility is the enjoyment a consumer gets from each additional unit of consumption. It calculates the utility beyond the first product consumed. If you buy a bottle of water and then a second one, the utility gained from the second bottle of water is the marginal utility." (Investopedia)

Gomer and Hosea is case in point, as metaphor for the greatness and long-suffering of God's love for his bride (Christ). Likewise Christ for his Church. Hosea is commanded to marry a "wife of whoredom [zenunim]" (Hosea 1:2). Indicating illicit sexual behavior. She bears this label not necessarily because she is a prostitute but because she is (or will become) a woman characterized by sexual infidelity. She kept wandering into the arms of other lovers. She was unfaithful. And yet the Lord told Hosea to keep going after her again and again, and bring her back home.

This is the crux of the debate: Whether or not a person's past behaviour is an indicator or determiner of their future behaviour. i.e. mitigating risk of infidelity.

Ime, all people stumble and sin, it's the consciousness of sin that becomes clearer with maturity, the sin will always be there, until new creation is complete. Whether one is able to recover and become stronger depends on God's work and the person's psyche, strength of character, determination, or tenacity, to have "great faith" as Christ said. It's an inward intent to be better to want to live, and love others. A daily repentance, taking up the cross per se.

But even still, everything may be perfect in a person bar one area that's a massive vulnerability: e.g. emotions that can trigger alcohol or substance abuse. Then it becomes an isue of whether or not such a person is qualified to marry, also whether or not the spouse truly has the capacity to patiently love them, really.

So this hope and faith then cannot be reliant on personal ability, but only on Christ the Solid Rock, God the Stronghold, as an unshakable everlasting foundation. It's trusting in the strongest man, the greatest love, that will bring us home, whenever we are unfaithful, time and time again, until reaching an eternal home with Christ.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; ...He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:15-16, 21)

Personally, I could not marry a Gomer, I wouldn't dare. If I had no choice however, say she was put in my life and under my duty of care somehow, then I'd still be highly reluctant, but it would be possible. My measuring stick would be a series of tests, like how Joseph tested his brothers. People may not agree here, but I would judge with extreme prejudice to screen for anything that would be an issue, using any indicator/evidence that I can see to test for leaks in future. That would be the bulk. The key and final determinant though would be a test of their intentions.

Christ says not to pick berries from a thorn bush. So you judge their friends, their clothing choice, food choice, skills and grades, the amount of effort put into looking and smelling nice, how well they treat others. All the voluntary stuff within their control, not stuff dictated beyond their control, by power from parents or government. 'Show me your friends and I'll show you who you are'. 'You are what you eat'. etc. And ofc knowledge of God, knowledge of Scripture. Encouragement and support, as iron sharpens iron.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this Biblical to reject a potential spouse just because they had sinned sexually?

You know the opposite might actually be true. The Lord Jesus told a parable that began with these words: To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable.... (Luke 18:9-14). The one to reject is the one who is confident in their own righteousness, who looks down on others, who makes their own behaviour a source of pride and an idol. If a person hasn't yet realised their need for a saviour then they aren't yet saved. The one who recognises their sin and repents enters the Kingdom ahead of the one who trusts in the filthy rags of their own righteous acts.
Man looks on the outward appearance but the Lord looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). God Bless You :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0