Sydney
✟56,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As topic says, what are people's opinions on this? I know this will be a area of debate, but growing up as a kid in the 80s, the TV shows I watched back then are nothing like the stuff there is today. I know throughout television history there always have been shows that are questionable, but today, there just seems to be more filth than ever.

• Agree
Reactions: Multifavs

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're absolutly getting worse. I watch less and less tv. The Lord impressed upon me recently that watching tv where there is violence therein is wrong because He has to watch it too, through us. And those people are His creation and He must watch them die so it hurts Him when we watch it. He also indictaed that watching sin is participating in sin. Family shows, documentaries, and light hearted entertainment which doesn't glorify sin or have violence is ok. And faith message shows also.

It's too hard to try to watch tv nowadays anyway. There's so many commercials that it's just not worth it to me. I spend more time on youtube because at least there I can click through the commercials. Almost everything on tv is available on the net. I used to like to watch The Rifleman and watched a few episodes everyday. But I think there's only one episode where no one gets shot. SO I haven't watched it since.

Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course it's much worse today than 20 years ago! So many shows today feel the need to advance the gay agenda by including gay "married" couples (often with children). The language is much more profane. Sex and its implications are rife - and not usually between married people. Lots more violence.

How anyone could think it's not worse than 20 years ago hasn't been watching tv!

Upvote 0

alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
Sydney
✟56,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
dysert, so right about the gay agenda being advanced today, that along with the concept of Political Correctness.

Take the Doctor Who series for example, I used to enjoy watching watching the classic series when I was a kid (third doctor and 4th doctor were my favorites at the time) and when I compare the classic series to the revamped series, the revamped series was slowly, bit at a time promoting this agenda. With some of the episodes in the revamp series, it is evident that the concept of transgender is also being promoted.

Someone will need to verify this for me, but my understanding as of late is that now, even kids tv shows there seems to be this kind of agenda being promoted. This stuff wouldn't even be shown decades ago when it comes to family tv, or kids shows for that matter, but the times today are so different.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
G. Shane Morris on Game of Thrones:

Seeing naked bodies on these shows is no accident. It is a deliberate purchase, every bit as much as the trucker who buys DVDs at the Cafe Risque. When you turn on a program for entertainment which you know contains graphic depictions of sex acts intended to arouse and titillate audiences, you are entering into a transaction with the actors, producers, and distributors of that program, either through your HBO subscription, or through advertising. Even if you fast-forward through the naughty bits (a claim I hear often but suspect isn’t entirely true), actual people have engaged in morally compromising acts, on your dollar. In all but particulars, it is the same as visiting a strip club.​

Read more at No, 'Game of Thrones' Nudity Isn't 'Meat Sacrificed to Idols'

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the 70's and 80's, there were TV shows that I enjoyed watching, yet today, there are very few TV shows that I would even consider watching. I've heard people at work talk about watching Game of Thrones and Ozark, but after hearing about the content of those shows, I have no interest. On top of violence, nudity and filthy language, the gay agenda is really getting pushed hard in TV shows today. :(

• Agree
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree with all of you. TV is definitely getting worse. When my mom or dad would watch some older shows they were pretty clean, but today's stuff, definitely not. There is swearing and other bad things everywhere. They are trying to teach everyone that wrong is right and bad is good. Disgusting.
That's why I avoid TV these days. Adult shows are very dirty, and none of the recent kids' shows interest me. The only programs I watch on TV now are the weekly Mass and a few music channels.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
Sydney
✟56,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See alot of stuff being made today for general viewing of various age groups, you will find themes in today's modern family tv shows that would never have been even considered decades ago.

This is same for the comics industry, as far as I am aware there was a time when content had to follow a certain code, but today, as far as I am aware, this appears to be no longer the case.

One thing I will say, parents need to check certain tv shows themselves before letting their children watch them.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, Divide. The Lord impressed on me the same thing. I almost quit watching TV altogether when He told me some of the stuff I was watching He was not happy with. I took Him very seriously.

Thankfully, I have other hobbies I can waste away my life with and have fun that way. I don't need to watch TV to have fun. :)

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I watch a lot of live sports on TV (especially during college football & NFL season).. But other than that, the only non-sports broadcasting I watch is 'The Goldbergs'.

Guess I'll occasionally watch some sitcom reruns (Good Times, Night Court, etc) or some religious broadcasting.. but our TV screen is dominated by Netflix..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Divide. The Lord impressed on me the same thing. I almost quit watching TV altogether when He told me some of the stuff I was watching He was not happy with. I took Him very seriously.

Thankfully, I have other hobbies I can waste away my life with and have fun that way. I don't need to watch TV to have fun. :)

Oh, that's good Brother. That confirms it for me that that wasn't some product of my imagination. In the mouths of two or three witnesses the truth is established.

My picks for the two best hobbies nowadays; Praying and shooting guns/reloading ammo. Lol...
Hey even David carried a sling.

Upvote 0

Spikey

Dec 6, 2017
Manchester
✟11,348.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Of course it's much worse today than 20 years ago! So many shows today feel the need to advance the gay agenda by including gay "married" couples (often with children). The language is much more profane. Sex and its implications are rife - and not usually between married people. Lots more violence.

How anyone could think it's not worse than 20 years ago hasn't been watching tv!

Which gay agenda is that? The being treated like human beings agenda? Or the, you are not going to persecute us any longer agenda? Or the right to marry whoever they like agenda?

TV series are correct to show society the way it is, some people are gay, so what?

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2018
Ontario
✟7,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TV shows are definately getting worse, Disney is starting to have gay characters in shows for CHILDREN. There is tones of filth and propaganda in many other shows as well its unbelievable.

Not to mention that a lot of shows are just going down in quality as well.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which gay agenda is that? The being treated like human beings agenda? Or the, you are not going to persecute us any longer agenda? Or the right to marry whoever they like agenda?

TV series are correct to show society the way it is, some people are gay, so what?
I have a strong suspicion that you know what the gay agenda is.

Upvote 0