• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

are these promises valid?

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I pray to the Generic God who is different than Christian God due to ocd. Days ago, my ocd was giving me worries to give 2 euros to a friend of mine just because I owned him 0.50 and I did not have. the ocd was telling me stuff like ocd: give him 2 euros if you dont have 0.50 because you may have made a promise to the Generic God not to own money to this friend. I knew they were just thoughts without my will but I was worried. I decided not to give 2 euros because my friend would not accept it and at one moment, ocd suggested me to make a new promise to the Generic God not to give 2 euros to that friend. it is a regular ocd trap that makes me not to do the compulsion and feel relieved only to trap me later. I do not remember exactly but some words about promise to the Generic God somehow happened in 1 second in my head without my will. I do not remember exactly what or if it was a fast prayer or just thoughts to myself, but I ended up saying to myself that I must not give the 2 euros to my friend and also felt happy. Yesterday, I had 2 euros in my hand and that friend took them from my hand to give them to a waitress because of a bill mistake. He returned with the 2 euros and gave it back to me and said the made us a treat. i got so worried because of the thoughts that happened without my will days ago, about not giving 2 euros to that friend. Why I worry? I know I have ocd and I do not want to make promises to the Generic God, because it is somehow connected with my ocd worries, but sometimes when I do not want to do an ocd compulsion, in order not to feel worried, my mind somehow or my ocd suggests to make a fake promise to the Generic God in order to use it as an excuse to my ocd for not doing the compulsion. Many times, words without my will happen in my head in order to make me not do the compulsion. But I do not know, it happened many times and I worry because 1) what if I allow these thoughts without my will to happen in my head just to use them against my ocd in order to feel relieved? 2) what if the Generic God sees that I am happy and carefree and makes them valid? Please answer me these 2 questions.

• Prayers
Reactions: JustRachel

Strong10

Oct 25, 2019
Plovdiv
✟19,060.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you want to say short prayer say: Lord have mercy or Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

When you want to pray say:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,
now and ever and unto the ages of ages.

This prayers are connected with real God and you will not anymore pray to generic god.

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟472,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
can you not post all of your posts in the one thread its causing others peoples posts to get pushed down to the bottom other people need support not just you
how am i or anyone else get support when your flooding the forum with your posts

Upvote 0

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I pray to the Generic God who is different than Christian God due to ocd. Days ago, my ocd was giving me worries to give 2 euros to a friend of mine just because I owned him 0.50 and I did not have. the ocd was telling me stuff like ocd: give him 2 euros if you dont have 0.50 because you may have made a promise to the Generic God not to own money to this friend. I knew they were just thoughts without my will but I was worried. I decided not to give 2 euros because my friend would not accept it and at one moment, ocd suggested me to make a new promise to the Generic God not to give 2 euros to that friend. it is a regular ocd trap that makes me not to do the compulsion and feel relieved only to trap me later. I do not remember exactly but some words about promise to the Generic God somehow happened in 1 second in my head without my will. I do not remember exactly what or if it was a fast prayer or just thoughts to myself, but I ended up saying to myself that I must not give the 2 euros to my friend and also felt happy. Yesterday, I had 2 euros in my hand and that friend took them from my hand to give them to a waitress because of a bill mistake. He returned with the 2 euros and gave it back to me and said the made us a treat. i got so worried because of the thoughts that happened without my will days ago, about not giving 2 euros to that friend. Why I worry? I know I have ocd and I do not want to make promises to the Generic God, because it is somehow connected with my ocd worries, but sometimes when I do not want to do an ocd compulsion, in order not to feel worried, my mind somehow or my ocd suggests to make a fake promise to the Generic God in order to use it as an excuse to my ocd for not doing the compulsion. Many times, words without my will happen in my head in order to make me not do the compulsion. But I do not know, it happened many times and I worry because 1) what if I allow these thoughts without my will to happen in my head just to use them against my ocd in order to feel relieved? 2) what if the Generic God sees that I am happy and carefree and makes them valid? Please answer me these 2 questions.
1. Don't let it happen, because it will if you acknowledge these thoughts.
Edit: I know it's hard, but you can do it, may my God bless you.
2. I don't believe that the Christian God would hold you accountable for these oaths, and if he does than I'm in trouble because I have OCD and do have these kind of thoughts, just not to the generic God since I don't believe in him, I believe in the God is Christianity, and he is the God of Israel, and the king of the universe.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts come. Thoughts go. You can't do much about that, and that's OK. We all have thoughts we can't control. You CAN choose how to respond to the thoughts, though. Right now you are choosing to respond to them as though they have meaning. As though your OCD is valid. The way to overcome OCD, though, is to respond to them as meaningless, which means ignoring them and NOT doing what the OCD is telling you to do. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0