Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Fellow Christian women who choose to cover their head, are these good? I do not want something very big because it can draw a bit of attention.

729050EC-F2EF-4BEC-B06F-54FCCEBB3900.jpeg 1 70883B0F-E13E-41E0-AE5D-5AEA85CF3134.jpeg2 B212EE2D-BAF4-46AB-B229-27CD47305195.jpeg3 FC6C081E-EB95-4EC4-A10D-259348DFC6DB.jpeg 4FE934A08-6852-47AE-A7DF-7F3942CFE8F6.jpeg 5111D2908-F3CD-46A7-BE60-A852B06AA425.jpeg6
Please say if they’re all suitable! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fm107

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
download (1).jpeg

download.jpeg

This is more European Orthodox from what I gather... you really may want to ask in the Orthodox forum however, but those you posted are more in the Catholic style

The rest of Christianity uses a regular scarf tied either behind the hair or in the front under the chin,or of course possibly draped around the neck then over the shoulder.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think #6 would answer the requirements nicely.
For most women who "cover", part of the reason that they do so is to conceal as much of their long hair as is possible, so that it's beauty won't be a distraction to men sitting nearby.

(Yes, there are many men who admire long hair on a woman, these days because it is so unusual!)

A second reason to cover is to enclose the head under a concealing veil (so as to be able to focus one's thoughts on God), and to shut out the distracting views of one's neighbors in the pew.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fellow Christian women who choose to cover their head, are these good? I do not want something very big because it can draw a bit of attention.

View attachment 276739 1 View attachment 2767402 View attachment 2767413 View attachment 276742 4View attachment 276743 5View attachment 2767446
Please say if they’re all suitable! :)
I have ones like the first and third ones. I really like the style from @Hazelelponi too. That’s definitely a Russian Orthodox style. They have some beautiful scarves. A lot of us though wear some of the Jewish style scarves (tiechels).

I like the store Headcoverings by Devorah personally.

Some styles common in my parish are shown below. The good thing about these is that they are all easy to tie and don’t take much focus on getting them to stay on right or trying to get a nice style. The first is great for putting on right before going into church.

AAEC0245-2AAF-40AC-978E-FA97729973E0.jpeg F6DD02A4-C768-4D68-8A5F-01A1A3A30DF9.jpeg E3D511F5-3A2C-4DDB-B038-48F9DA81960B.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 276746

View attachment 276747

This is more European Orthodox from what I gather... you really may want to ask in the Orthodox forum however, but those you posted are more in the Catholic style

The rest of Christianity uses a regular scarf tied either behind the hair or in the front under the chin,or of course possibly draped around the neck then over the shoulder.
Very true but it’s more common in my area, I wanted to go in a more “Orthodox” style but I think it’s a bit too eye catching here.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think #6 would answer the requirements nicely.
For most women who "cover", part of the reason that they do so is to conceal as much of their long hair as is possible, so that it's beauty won't be a distraction to men sitting nearby.

(Yes, there are many men who admire long hair on a woman, these days because it is so unusual!)

A second reason to cover is to enclose the head under a concealing veil (so as to be able to focus one's thoughts on God), and to shut out the distracting views of one's neighbors in the pew.
True true, here in my Church it is more common for it too be shorter, though. I do not want to feel distracting from the veil as well!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In Latin Christianity, the #2 style was what I always saw when I was younger, but it also always looked to me like a doily.

So I personally find #1 and #3 to be much better, but that's just my impression. If you want to go with something that looks distinctively Orthodox, then that would be a different consideration.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have ones like the first and third ones. I really like the style from @Hazelelponi too. That’s definitely a Russian Orthodox style. They have some beautiful scarves. A lot of us though wear some of the Jewish style scarves (tiechels).

I like the store Headcoverings by Devorah personally.

Some styles common in my parish are shown below. The good thing about these is that they are all easy to tie and don’t take much focus on getting them to stay on right or trying to get a nice style. The first is great for putting on right before going into church.

View attachment 276748 View attachment 276749 View attachment 276750
Wonderful!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The other thing about these kinds of scarves, for better or worse, is that they look less overtly "religious." They "cover" more than any other option, but many people will see them just as a fashion statement (except the old ladies, who will tell you how wonderful it is that you're wearing them).

example-of-typical-orthodox-christian-deportment.jpg

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The other thing about these kinds of scarves, for better or worse, is that they look less overtly "religious." They "cover" more than any other option, but many people will see them just as a fashion statement (except the old ladies, who will tell you how wonderful it is that you're wearing them).

Exactly, I’d be the only one wearing that, which would draw attention D: it would definitely come out as fashion rather than coverage to many, except, like you say, the older ladies

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

In many Orthodox Churches, I don’t think they would consider it to be a fashion statement, especially if it is a Russian Orthodox Church. It would depend on the parish. The OP is Orthodox, so it depending on her parish, it may be a fairly normal style. At my parish, it isn’t the normal style, but the few that wear them aren’t considered to be wearing them for fashion. Those parishioners actually are Russian - and got the scarves from Russia.

ETA: Nevermind - just saw the post above :)

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In many Orthodox Churches, I don’t think they would consider it to be a fashion statement, especially if it is a Russian Orthodox Church. It would depend on the parish. The OP is Orthodox, so it depending on her parish, it may be a fairly normal style. At my parish, it isn’t the normal style, but the few that wear them aren’t considered to be wearing them for fashion. Those parishioners actually are Russian - and got the scarves from Russia.

ETA: Nevermind - just saw the post above :)
Love Russia! I attend a Greek Orthodox Church, however. It is certainly not common for the nice scarves, most women wear hats if anything. And since we have a place that sells veils like the ones I showed, most choose that, since it’s right down the street. XP

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Love Russia! I attend a Greek Orthodox Church, however. It is certainly not common for the nice scarves, most women wear hats if anything. And since we have a place that sells veils like the ones I showed, most choose that, since it’s right down the street. XP
I’m part of an OCA parish, so we have a mix :) Mostly people with no real ethnic affiliation, some Russians, a few Greeks, and various other groups of people :) Our headcoverings are not across the board, but those who do have a variety of styles. I don’t know if any place nearby that sells veils, head scarves or even hats, so most of us just get thin infinity scarves or thin cotton / silk scarves you can get at the department store. If not that - then we get them online.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the Greek Orthodox women that attend our parish wear hats instead of scarves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m part of an OCA parish, so we have a mix :) Mostly people with no real ethnic affiliation, some Russians, a few Greeks, and various other groups of people :) Our headcoverings are not across the board, but those who do have a variety of styles. I don’t know if any place nearby that sells veils, head scarves or even hats, so most of us just get thin infinity scarves or thin cotton / silk scarves you can get at the department store. If not that - then we get them online.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the Greek Orthodox women that attend our parish wear hats instead of scarves.
Ah okay, I thought there was a between Russian/Greek Orthodox in coverage.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0