United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2nd President Brigham Young

“Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do” (Brigham Young, April 9, 1852, Journal of Discourses 1:50).
“What a learned idea! Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation” (Brigham Young, April 9, 1852, Journal of Discourses 1:51).

“I will give you a few words of doctrine, upon which there has been much inquiry, and with regard to which considerable ignorance exists. Br. Watt will write it, but it is not my intention to have it published, therefore pay good attention, and store it up in your memories. Some years ago, I advanced a doctrine with regard to Adam being our father and God, that will be a cause [curse?] to many Elders of Israel because of their folly. With regard to it they yet grovel in darkness and will. It is one of the most glorious revealments of the economy of heaven, yet the world holds it [in] dirrision [sic]. Had I revealed the doctrine of baptism from the dead instead [of] Joseph Smith there are men around me who would have ridiculed the idea until dooms day. But they are ignorant and stupid like the dumb ass” (“The Adam-God Doctrine,” David John Buerger, citing a discourse given by Brigham Young on October 8, 1861. Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Spring 1982, p. 29).

“How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which is revealed to them, and which God revealed to me – namely that Adam is our father and God” (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873, p. 308).

4th President Wilford Woodruff
“Meeting Adjourned till evening when the House was filled again. Was Addressed…by Brigham Young…I will now preach you another Sermon. There is one great Master and Head in all kingdoms & g[overnment?]. So with our Father in Heaven. He is a Tabernacle. He Created us in the likeness of his own image. The Son has also a Tabernacle like the Father & the Holy Ghost is a minister to the people but not a tabernacle. Who begat the Son of God? Infidels say that Jesus was a Bastard but let me tell you the truth Concerning that matter. Our Father begat all the spirits that were before any tabernacles were made. When our Father came into the Garden He came with his celestial body & brought one of his wifes with him & eat of the fruit of the garden untill He could begat a tabernacle. And Adam is Michael or God And all the God that we have any thing to do with. They Eat of this fruit & formed the first Tabernacle that was formed. And when the VIRGIN MARY was begotton with Child it was By the Father and in no other way ownly as we were begotton. I will tell you the truth as it is in God. The world dont know that Jesus Christ Our Elder Brother was begotton by our Father in Heaven. Handle it as you please. It will either seal the damnation or salvation of m[e/a?]n. He was begotton by the Father & not by the Holy Ghost. When you go to Preach & believe that Jesus Christ was begotton by the Holy Ghost dont lay Hands upon the Heads of Females for the reception of the Holy Ghost lest it Beget her with Child And you be acused. I have told you nothing in this thing but what you have red in the Bible. I do not frame it” (Wilford Woodruff, Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 150. Recounting Brigham Young’s conference sermon from April 9, 1852. Ellipses, brackets, spelling, and punctuation in original).

“Some have said that I was vary presumptuous to say that Brother Brigham was my God & Saviour. Brother Joseph was his God. The one that gave Joseph the keys of the kingdom was his God which was Peter. Jesus Christ was his God & the God & Father of Jesus Christ was Adam” (Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 150. Recounting Heber C. Kimball’s conference sermon from April 10, 1852. Spelling and punctuation in original).

“Some have thought it strange what I have said Concerning Adam But the period will Come when this people of faithful will be willing to adopt Joseph Smith as their Prophet Seer Revelator & God But not the father of their spirits for that was our Father Adam” (Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 299. Recounting Brigham Young’s sermon from December 11, 1869. Spelling and punctuation in original).

10th President Joseph Fielding Smith
“SOURCE OF ADAM-GOD THEORY. President Brigham Young is quoted—in all probability the sermon was erroneously transcribed!—-as having said: ‘Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the Garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days, about whom holy men have written and spoken—He is our father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do’” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 1:96. Italics in original).

12th President Spencer W. Kimball
“We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine” (Spencer W. Kimball, “Adam-God Theory Denounced,” Church News, October 9, 1976, p. 11).

First Presidency
“That first man sent his own Son to redeem the world, to redeem his brethren; his life was taken, his blood shed, that our sins might be remitted. That Son called twelve men and ordained them to be Apostles, and when he departed the keys of the kingdom were deposited with three of those twelve, viz.: Peter, James, and John” (Heber C. Kimball, June 29, 1856, Journal of Discourses 4:1).
Apostles

“Brigham Young’s much-discussed sermon says that ‘Jesus was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the Garden of Eden and who is our Father in heaven.’ Enemies of the Church, or stupid people, reading also that Adam is ‘our father and our God.’ have heralded far and wide that the Mormons believe that Jesus Christ was begotten of Adam. Yet, the rational reading of the whole sermon reveals the falsity of such a doctrine. It is explained that God the Father was in the Garden of Eden before Adam, that he was the Father of Adam and that this same personage, God the Father, who was in the Garden of Eden before Adam, was the Father of Jesus Christ, when the Son took upon himself a mortal body. That is, the same personage was the Father of Adam and of Jesus Christ. In the numerous published sermons of Brigham Young this is the doctrine that appears; none other. The assertion is repeatedly made that Jesus Christ was begotten by God, the Father, distinct by any stretch of imagination from Adam. This is a well-established Latter-day Saint doctrine” (John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, p. 56).

“There are those who believe, or say they believe that Adam is our father and our god. That he is the father of our spirits and our bodies, and that he is the one we worship. The devil keeps this heresy alive as a means of obtaining converts to cultism. It is contrary to the whole plan of salvation set forth in the scriptures. Anyone who has read the Book of Moses, and anyone who has received the temple endowment and who yet believes the Adam-God theory, does not deserve to be saved” (Bruce R. McConkie, “The Seven Deadly Heresies,” an address given at Brigham Young University on June 1, 1980. Transcribed from actual speech).

“Yes, President Young did teach that Adam was the father of our spirits, and all the related things that the cultists ascribe to him. This, however, is not true. He expressed views that are out of harmony with the gospel. But, be it known, Brigham Young also taught accurately and correctly, the status and position of Adam in the eternal scheme of things. What I am saying is that Brigham Young, contradicted Brigham Young, and the issue becomes one of which Brigham Young we will believe. The answer is we will believe the expressions that accord with the teachings in the Standard Works” (Bruce R. McConkie, Letter to Eugene England, February 19, 1981, p. 6).

Seventies
“Some of the sectarian ministers are saying that we Mormons are ashamed of the doctrine announced by President Brigham Young, to the effect that Adam will thus be the God of this world. No, friends, it is not that we are ashamed of that doctrine. If you see any change coming over our countenance when this doctrine is named, it is surprise, astonishment, that any one at all capable of grasping the largeness and extent of the universe, the grandeur of existence and the possibilities in man for growth, for progress, should be so lean of intellect, should have such a paucity of understanding as to call it in question at all. That is what our change in countenance means – not shame for the doctrine Brigham Young taught” (B.H. Roberts, Mormon Doctrine of Deity, pp. 42-43).

“Our Father Adam.—The extract from the Journal of Discourses may startle some of our readers, but we would wish them to recollect that in this last dispensation God will send forth, by His servants, things new as well as old, until man is perfected in the truth. And we would here take occasion to remark, that it would be well if all our readers would secure a copy of the Journal of Discourses as it is issued, and also of every standard work of the Church; and not only secure these works, but attentively read them, and thoroughly study the principles they contain. Those of the Saints who fail to obtain the standard publications of the Church, will not be likely to prove very intelligent Saints, and will be very liable to wake up some day, and find themselves wonderfully behind the times, and consequently will not be able to stand the day of trial, which will come upon all the world. Without the intelligence that comes through the Holy Priesthood, the Saints cannot gain salvation, and this intelligence is given in the various publications of the Church. Who then will endanger his salvation by being behind the times? Not the wise, certainly” (The Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star 15:780. Samuel W. Richards, ed., November 26, 1853. Italics in original).

“The St. George endowment included a revised thirty-minute ‘lecture at the veil’ first delivered by Young. This summarized important theological concepts taught in the endowment and contained references to Young’s Adam-God doctrine” (David John Buerger, Mysteries of Godliness, p. 110).

“A classic example of an anomaly in the LDS tradition is the so-called ‘Adam-God theory.’ During the latter half of the nineteenth century Brigham Young made some remarks about the relationship between Adam and God that the Latter-day Saints have never been able to understand. The reported statements conflict with LDS teachings before and after Brigham Young, as well as with statements of President Young himself during the same period of time. So how do Latter-day Saints deal with the phenomenon? We don’t; we simply set it aside. It is an anomaly. On occasion my colleagues and I at Brigham Young University have tried to figure out what Brigham Young might have actually said and what it might have meant, but the attempts have always failed. The reported statements simply do not compute - we cannot make sense out of them. This is not a matter of believing it or disbelieving it; we simply don’t know what ‘it’ is. If Brigham Young were here we could ask him what he actually said and what he meant by it, but he is not here, and even expert students of his thought are left to wonder whether he was misquoted, whether he meant to say one thing and actually said another, whether he was somehow joking with or testing the Saints, or whether some vital element that would make sense out of the reports has been omitted” (BYU Professor Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? pp. 19-20).

“The point is that while anti-Mormons can believe whatever they want, the Latter-day Saints have never believed that Brigham Young taught the ‘Adam-God theory’ as explained in anti-Mormon literature, and that whether Brigham Young believed it or not, the ‘Adam-God theory’ as proposed and interpreted by non-Mormons simply cannot be found in the theology of the Latter-day Saints” (BYU Professor Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? p. 20).

“The identities and roles of the temple creation gods became the focus of a controversy between Bishop Edward Bunker and his counselor Myron Abbott in Bunkerville, Nevada, in 1890. This controversy culminated in 1892 in a St. George, Utah, stake high council meeting attended by church president Wilford Woodruff and his counselor George Q. Cannon. Bunker and his father, Edward Sr., felt that the ‘Lecture before the Veil,’ as it was then presented in the St. George Temple, contained false doctrine. This veil lecture, dictated by Brigham Young in 1877, clearly implied that Adam was God the Father by explaining that prior to coming to this earth, Adam and Eve had been resurrected and exalted on a former world. In their exalted state they begot the spirits of all humankind. Under the direction of Elohim and Jehovah, gods of the creation council, Adam then created this earth and brought Eve here with him to fall in order to provide their spiritual offspring with physical tabernacles” (Boyd Kirkland, “The Development of the Mormon Doctrine of God,” Line Upon Line: Essays on Mormon Doctrine, pp. 42-43).

“Pratt was not the only member unwilling to embrace certain of Young’s views. Yet his calling as Apostle placed him at the forefront of dissent. Following a strong Adam-God statement delivered by Young during the October 1854 general conference, one member observed, ‘[T]here were some that did not believe the sayings of the Prophet Brigham. Even our beloved Brother Orson Pratt told me that he did not believe it. He said he could prove by the scriptures it was not correct. I felt sorry to hear Professor Orson Pratt say that. I fear lest he should apostatize’” (Gary James Bergera, “The Orson Pratt-Brigham Young Controversies: Conflict Within the Quorum 1853-1868,” Dialogue, A Journal of Mormon Thought, Vol.13, No.2, p. 13; citing the journal of Joseph P. Robinson, October 6, 1854. Brackets in original).

“Four years later the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve again addressed the issue, in a pamphlet entitled ‘The Father and the Son.’ The purpose of this publication was to clarify title and role definitions of God the Father and Jesus Christ. The Presidency stated, unequivocally, ‘God the Eternal Father, whom we designate by the exalted name-tide ‘Elohim,’ is the literal Parent of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and of the spirits of the human race.’ This, notwithstanding some definitional imprecision, seems a clear rejection of at least part of Brigham’s understanding, for Mormons had always distinguished ‘Elohim’ from Adam (i.e., Michael). Despite the seeming finality of this language, questions still persisted. President Penrose, who had continued to speak regularly on the subject, again responded, this time in General Conference, April 6, 1916… A few years later Penrose was even more explicit as he affirmed that ‘Jesus of Nazareth, born of the virgin Mary, was literally and truly the Son of the Father, the Eternal God, not of Adam.’ Thus it was Penrose more than any of his colleagues who articulated the new, ‘official’ interpretation of or response to Brigham Young’s theological innovation. Indeed, his logic and interpretation became the pattern for virtually all twentieth-century Mormon responses to Adam-God” (David John Buerger, “The Adam-God Doctrine,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Volume 15, Number 1, pp. 42-43. Ellipsis mine).

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

“Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do” (Brigham Young, April 9, 1852, Journal of Discourses 1:50).
“What a learned idea! Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation” (Brigham Young, April 9, 1852, Journal of Discourses 1:51).

“I will give you a few words of doctrine, upon which there has been much inquiry, and with regard to which considerable ignorance exists. Br. Watt will write it, but it is not my intention to have it published, therefore pay good attention, and store it up in your memories. Some years ago, I advanced a doctrine with regard to Adam being our father and God, that will be a cause [curse?] to many Elders of Israel because of their folly. With regard to it they yet grovel in darkness and will. It is one of the most glorious revealments of the economy of heaven, yet the world holds it [in] dirrision [sic]. Had I revealed the doctrine of baptism from the dead instead [of] Joseph Smith there are men around me who would have ridiculed the idea until dooms day. But they are ignorant and stupid like the dumb ass” (“The Adam-God Doctrine,” David John Buerger, citing a discourse given by Brigham Young on October 8, 1861. Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Spring 1982, p. 29).

“How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which is revealed to them, and which God revealed to me – namely that Adam is our father and God” (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873, p. 308).

“Meeting Adjourned till evening when the House was filled again. Was Addressed…by Brigham Young…I will now preach you another Sermon. There is one great Master and Head in all kingdoms & g[overnment?]. So with our Father in Heaven. He is a Tabernacle. He Created us in the likeness of his own image. The Son has also a Tabernacle like the Father & the Holy Ghost is a minister to the people but not a tabernacle. Who begat the Son of God? Infidels say that Jesus was a Bastard but let me tell you the truth Concerning that matter. Our Father begat all the spirits that were before any tabernacles were made. When our Father came into the Garden He came with his celestial body & brought one of his wifes with him & eat of the fruit of the garden untill He could begat a tabernacle. And Adam is Michael or God And all the God that we have any thing to do with. They Eat of this fruit & formed the first Tabernacle that was formed. And when the VIRGIN MARY was begotton with Child it was By the Father and in no other way ownly as we were begotton. I will tell you the truth as it is in God. The world dont know that Jesus Christ Our Elder Brother was begotton by our Father in Heaven. Handle it as you please. It will either seal the damnation or salvation of m[e/a?]n. He was begotton by the Father & not by the Holy Ghost. When you go to Preach & believe that Jesus Christ was begotton by the Holy Ghost dont lay Hands upon the Heads of Females for the reception of the Holy Ghost lest it Beget her with Child And you be acused. I have told you nothing in this thing but what you have red in the Bible. I do not frame it” (Wilford Woodruff, Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 150. Recounting Brigham Young’s conference sermon from April 9, 1852. Ellipses, brackets, spelling, and punctuation in original).

“Some have said that I was vary presumptuous to say that Brother Brigham was my God & Saviour. Brother Joseph was his God. The one that gave Joseph the keys of the kingdom was his God which was Peter. Jesus Christ was his God & the God & Father of Jesus Christ was Adam” (Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 150. Recounting Heber C. Kimball’s conference sermon from April 10, 1852. Spelling and punctuation in original).

“Some have thought it strange what I have said Concerning Adam But the period will Come when this people of faithful will be willing to adopt Joseph Smith as their Prophet Seer Revelator & God But not the father of their spirits for that was our Father Adam” (Waiting for World’s End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff, Susan Staker, ed., p. 299. Recounting Brigham Young’s sermon from December 11, 1869. Spelling and punctuation in original).

“SOURCE OF ADAM-GOD THEORY. President Brigham Young is quoted—in all probability the sermon was erroneously transcribed!—-as having said: ‘Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the Garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days, about whom holy men have written and spoken—He is our father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do’” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 1:96. Italics in original).

“We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine” (Spencer W. Kimball, “Adam-God Theory Denounced,” Church News, October 9, 1976, p. 11).

First Presidency
“That first man sent his own Son to redeem the world, to redeem his brethren; his life was taken, his blood shed, that our sins might be remitted. That Son called twelve men and ordained them to be Apostles, and when he departed the keys of the kingdom were deposited with three of those twelve, viz.: Peter, James, and John” (Heber C. Kimball, June 29, 1856, Journal of Discourses 4:1).
Apostles

“Brigham Young’s much-discussed sermon says that ‘Jesus was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the Garden of Eden and who is our Father in heaven.’ Enemies of the Church, or stupid people, reading also that Adam is ‘our father and our God.’ have heralded far and wide that the Mormons believe that Jesus Christ was begotten of Adam. Yet, the rational reading of the whole sermon reveals the falsity of such a doctrine. It is explained that God the Father was in the Garden of Eden before Adam, that he was the Father of Adam and that this same personage, God the Father, who was in the Garden of Eden before Adam, was the Father of Jesus Christ, when the Son took upon himself a mortal body. That is, the same personage was the Father of Adam and of Jesus Christ. In the numerous published sermons of Brigham Young this is the doctrine that appears; none other. The assertion is repeatedly made that Jesus Christ was begotten by God, the Father, distinct by any stretch of imagination from Adam. This is a well-established Latter-day Saint doctrine” (John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, p. 56).

“There are those who believe, or say they believe that Adam is our father and our god. That he is the father of our spirits and our bodies, and that he is the one we worship. The devil keeps this heresy alive as a means of obtaining converts to cultism. It is contrary to the whole plan of salvation set forth in the scriptures. Anyone who has read the Book of Moses, and anyone who has received the temple endowment and who yet believes the Adam-God theory, does not deserve to be saved” (Bruce R. McConkie, “The Seven Deadly Heresies,” an address given at Brigham Young University on June 1, 1980. Transcribed from actual speech).

“Yes, President Young did teach that Adam was the father of our spirits, and all the related things that the cultists ascribe to him. This, however, is not true. He expressed views that are out of harmony with the gospel. But, be it known, Brigham Young also taught accurately and correctly, the status and position of Adam in the eternal scheme of things. What I am saying is that Brigham Young, contradicted Brigham Young, and the issue becomes one of which Brigham Young we will believe. The answer is we will believe the expressions that accord with the teachings in the Standard Works” (Bruce R. McConkie, Letter to Eugene England, February 19, 1981, p. 6).

Seventies
“Some of the sectarian ministers are saying that we Mormons are ashamed of the doctrine announced by President Brigham Young, to the effect that Adam will thus be the God of this world. No, friends, it is not that we are ashamed of that doctrine. If you see any change coming over our countenance when this doctrine is named, it is surprise, astonishment, that any one at all capable of grasping the largeness and extent of the universe, the grandeur of existence and the possibilities in man for growth, for progress, should be so lean of intellect, should have such a paucity of understanding as to call it in question at all. That is what our change in countenance means – not shame for the doctrine Brigham Young taught” (B.H. Roberts, Mormon Doctrine of Deity, pp. 42-43).

“Our Father Adam.—The extract from the Journal of Discourses may startle some of our readers, but we would wish them to recollect that in this last dispensation God will send forth, by His servants, things new as well as old, until man is perfected in the truth. And we would here take occasion to remark, that it would be well if all our readers would secure a copy of the Journal of Discourses as it is issued, and also of every standard work of the Church; and not only secure these works, but attentively read them, and thoroughly study the principles they contain. Those of the Saints who fail to obtain the standard publications of the Church, will not be likely to prove very intelligent Saints, and will be very liable to wake up some day, and find themselves wonderfully behind the times, and consequently will not be able to stand the day of trial, which will come upon all the world. Without the intelligence that comes through the Holy Priesthood, the Saints cannot gain salvation, and this intelligence is given in the various publications of the Church. Who then will endanger his salvation by being behind the times? Not the wise, certainly” (The Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star 15:780. Samuel W. Richards, ed., November 26, 1853. Italics in original).

“The St. George endowment included a revised thirty-minute ‘lecture at the veil’ first delivered by Young. This summarized important theological concepts taught in the endowment and contained references to Young’s Adam-God doctrine” (David John Buerger, Mysteries of Godliness, p. 110).

“A classic example of an anomaly in the LDS tradition is the so-called ‘Adam-God theory.’ During the latter half of the nineteenth century Brigham Young made some remarks about the relationship between Adam and God that the Latter-day Saints have never been able to understand. The reported statements conflict with LDS teachings before and after Brigham Young, as well as with statements of President Young himself during the same period of time. So how do Latter-day Saints deal with the phenomenon? We don’t; we simply set it aside. It is an anomaly. On occasion my colleagues and I at Brigham Young University have tried to figure out what Brigham Young might have actually said and what it might have meant, but the attempts have always failed. The reported statements simply do not compute - we cannot make sense out of them. This is not a matter of believing it or disbelieving it; we simply don’t know what ‘it’ is. If Brigham Young were here we could ask him what he actually said and what he meant by it, but he is not here, and even expert students of his thought are left to wonder whether he was misquoted, whether he meant to say one thing and actually said another, whether he was somehow joking with or testing the Saints, or whether some vital element that would make sense out of the reports has been omitted” (BYU Professor Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? pp. 19-20).

“The point is that while anti-Mormons can believe whatever they want, the Latter-day Saints have never believed that Brigham Young taught the ‘Adam-God theory’ as explained in anti-Mormon literature, and that whether Brigham Young believed it or not, the ‘Adam-God theory’ as proposed and interpreted by non-Mormons simply cannot be found in the theology of the Latter-day Saints” (BYU Professor Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? p. 20).

“The identities and roles of the temple creation gods became the focus of a controversy between Bishop Edward Bunker and his counselor Myron Abbott in Bunkerville, Nevada, in 1890. This controversy culminated in 1892 in a St. George, Utah, stake high council meeting attended by church president Wilford Woodruff and his counselor George Q. Cannon. Bunker and his father, Edward Sr., felt that the ‘Lecture before the Veil,’ as it was then presented in the St. George Temple, contained false doctrine. This veil lecture, dictated by Brigham Young in 1877, clearly implied that Adam was God the Father by explaining that prior to coming to this earth, Adam and Eve had been resurrected and exalted on a former world. In their exalted state they begot the spirits of all humankind. Under the direction of Elohim and Jehovah, gods of the creation council, Adam then created this earth and brought Eve here with him to fall in order to provide their spiritual offspring with physical tabernacles” (Boyd Kirkland, “The Development of the Mormon Doctrine of God,” Line Upon Line: Essays on Mormon Doctrine, pp. 42-43).

“Pratt was not the only member unwilling to embrace certain of Young’s views. Yet his calling as Apostle placed him at the forefront of dissent. Following a strong Adam-God statement delivered by Young during the October 1854 general conference, one member observed, ‘[T]here were some that did not believe the sayings of the Prophet Brigham. Even our beloved Brother Orson Pratt told me that he did not believe it. He said he could prove by the scriptures it was not correct. I felt sorry to hear Professor Orson Pratt say that. I fear lest he should apostatize’” (Gary James Bergera, “The Orson Pratt-Brigham Young Controversies: Conflict Within the Quorum 1853-1868,” Dialogue, A Journal of Mormon Thought, Vol.13, No.2, p. 13; citing the journal of Joseph P. Robinson, October 6, 1854. Brackets in original).

“Four years later the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve again addressed the issue, in a pamphlet entitled ‘The Father and the Son.’ The purpose of this publication was to clarify title and role definitions of God the Father and Jesus Christ. The Presidency stated, unequivocally, ‘God the Eternal Father, whom we designate by the exalted name-tide ‘Elohim,’ is the literal Parent of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and of the spirits of the human race.’ This, notwithstanding some definitional imprecision, seems a clear rejection of at least part of Brigham’s understanding, for Mormons had always distinguished ‘Elohim’ from Adam (i.e., Michael). Despite the seeming finality of this language, questions still persisted. President Penrose, who had continued to speak regularly on the subject, again responded, this time in General Conference, April 6, 1916… A few years later Penrose was even more explicit as he affirmed that ‘Jesus of Nazareth, born of the virgin Mary, was literally and truly the Son of the Father, the Eternal God, not of Adam.’ Thus it was Penrose more than any of his colleagues who articulated the new, ‘official’ interpretation of or response to Brigham Young’s theological innovation. Indeed, his logic and interpretation became the pattern for virtually all twentieth-century Mormon responses to Adam-God” (David John Buerger, “The Adam-God Doctrine,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Volume 15, Number 1, pp. 42-43. Ellipsis mine).
What exactly do you mean by authoritative texts?

I have heard before of the 1981 letter from McConkie to Eugene England, where McConkie stated that Brigham Young contradicted Brigham Young. In view of that, I guess it's kind of hard to determine what Young was actually trying to say. If on one day he was preaching standard LDS doctrine about God, Jesus, and Adam; and on another day he was preaching Adam-God; then how do you draw conclusions about what his real message was?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

First Presidency
Apostles

Seventies

I could try and explain it but you don't understand the basic restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should anyone believe that the Book of Mormon is any less inspired or authoritative than the New Testament is?
I'm surprised that you ask. It could result in a response longer than the original OP. Not too many folks stay tuned that long.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
are these authoritative texts?
No.

LDS doctrines come from LDS scripture (which of course includes the Bible). None of the sources texts listed are scripture, and hence not authoritative sources of doctrines. For more info I recommend this link: Approaching Mormon Doctrine

(Note: you could have just listed the sources. The wall of text was unnecessary and distracts fro your question (plus makes it harder to read)).

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If BY, taught one thing one day and something off the mark the next day, then there is no reason to believe any of the LDS prophets are true because such doctrine changes would not come from an eternal God.

Google

What of your prophets that says God is eternal are authoritative?

It is a logical inconsistency to claim a being that once was a God in Embryo is Eternal. Prophets that are changing in what they deliver as god's word are either speaking form their own heart, thus evil and not of God or they are speaking from an inconsistent god --- who would be not worth listening to.

e·ter·nal
əˈtərn(ə)l/
adjective
  1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.
    "the secret of eternal youth"
    synonyms: everlasting, never-ending, endless, perpetual, undying, immortal, abiding, permanent, enduring, infinite, boundless, timeless;
    amaranthine
    "eternal happiness"

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a Good tree produces bad fruit, is it still Good?

If a branch, roots or trunk is in poor health, is it still healthy?

Unhealthy Trees do not produce bad doctrine.

A system built on any prophet that teaches bad doctrine can not come from the true God.

"
The Scriptures frequently describe the fruits of the false prophets, so that we are left with little doubt as to what we should look for. I believe we can see the fruits of the false prophets falling into three categories.

(1) The first category of the fruits of the false prophet is their doctrine. False prophets speak from their own delusion, not by divine command (Jeremiah 23:16,21,25; Ezekiel 13:2). They do not proclaim or defend God’s word, but deny it (Jeremiah 23:17). In particular they deny unpleasant subjects such as impending judgment (Jeremiah 6:14; 28:17; Ezekiel 13:10). They offer temporary and partial relief to pressing problems (Jeremiah 8:11). Mainly, they tell people precisely what they want to hear (1 Kings 22:8, 13; 2 Timothy 4:3-4). Concerning the way of salvation they deny the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ and they reject the work of Christ on the cross (2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:2-3).

(2) The second category of the fruits of the false prophets is the effect of their teaching in the lives of men. Invariably it leads to a rejection of God’s word, a rejection of biblical authority, a division among the saints (Jeremiah 23:2,14) and a life of sensuality (2 Peter 2:2). They attempt to lead men away from the truth of the gospel (Acts 13:8), and to deceive genuine Christians with false doctrine (Mark 13:22). This is also evident from the pastoral epistles (1 and 2Timothy and Titus) where Paul speaks of the need of sound or healthy doctrine (1 Tim. 4:6; 2 Tim. 4:3; Tit. 1:9; 2:1).

(3) Finally, there is the fruit of the false teachers as evidenced in their own moral character. They are easily distinguished by their pride (2 Peter 2:10), their greed (Jeremiah 8:10; Titus 1:11; 2 Peter 2:3,14) and immorality (Jeremiah 23:11,14; 2 Peter 2:14). They are men dominated by the flesh (2 Peter 2:10,12; 3:3). They prey upon the weak and the guilt-ridden (2 Timothy 3:6-7; 2 Peter 2:14,13). While they profess to know God, by their deeds they deny Him (Matthew 7:22-23; 2 Timothy 3:5; Titus 1:16). While they delight in authority, they refuse to submit to it (2 Peter 2:10).

“A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit?” (Luke 6:39).

There are many godless guides who would lead us to the wide gate and the way which leads to destruction. These false teachers are not only blind themselves, but they lead others to destruction with them. It is the Lord Who will pronounce the final verdict and Who will sentence the false prophets to everlasting torment.
How can we discern false teachers?
"

Reactions: littlebopeek
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
If BY, taught one thing one day and something off the mark the next day, then there is no reason to believe any of the LDS prophets are true because such doctrine changes would not come from an eternal God.
You are misunderstanding LDS beliefs on prophets and doctrine. LDS do not believe prophets are automatically perfect in word or deed. Rather, a prophet is *man* of God. They learn, they make mistakes, as all men do, including the prophets in the Bible. What you are quoting from is not LDS doctrine at all, but writings of some LDS man.

The way a prophets differs from other men is that they are chosen *when speaking specifically as God's mouthpiece* they speak as His mouthpieces. These words *spoken from the Lord* are then ratified by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and presented to the general church body for their substaining. These words then added to rest of God's words in scripture and official proclamations.

Again, none of the sources you are quoting from fit these requirements and are not actual LDS doctrine.

Then again, if you want to waste your time reading some dude's thoughts in some text even LDS don't read, that's your choice. If you want to disagree with some dude's thoughts, you're welcome to do that like any LDS person.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I could try and explain it but you don't understand the basic restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

There is no reason to believe anything the LDS sources teach since they say one thing one day and something off the mark the next. There is no reason to believe that any LDS sources are good.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why should anyone believe that the Book of Mormon is any less inspired or authoritative than the New Testament is?

If you came upon a pond of still water with a dead person laying in it, would you drink that water without boiling it or would you not drink it at all?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mmmmmm

If it’s in the scripture that is authoritative.

*Back in the late 1800s the Church authorities, apostles and prophets etc, really had more freedom in their speculations. The doctrines were new to them and some of it unsettled. You’ve seen me say ‘we don’t know’ about some subjects we have addressed here. We see through a glass darkly.

But over the years much of the speculation has been either rejected or incorporated into the doctrine. Our Mother in Heaven might be a good example, it was always hanging out there but never addressed straight forward by anyone. In the last few years the Church authorities have written her into one of our newest proclamations.

“ALL HUMAN BEINGS—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.” Proclamation on the Family

*We also believe in continuing revelation, that our knowledge of God will grow. If it’s not growing then we’ve become stagnate and the Holy Spirit left.

*It use to be each organization had it’s own manuals, news letters and publications and without computers there was no way to keep track of who was saying what.

There is one example of the phrase “when the prophets speaks the thinking is done” showing up in a home teaching manual. When it was pointed out to the prophet he had a fit and made them remove it. We are not a bunch of mind numbed robots and have the right to listen to the Holy Spirit for ourselves.

*My brother was at a meeting with Present Hinckley when someone asked if Jesus was married. Hinckley said;

“Brethren it doesn’t matter if the pearly gates swing or slide just as long as they open”

What is important is our relationship with Christ, all the speculation and pronouncements made in the past are not important to our individual salvation. Keep your eye single to God!

*Today the Church tries very hard to speak with one voice,

“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;….Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine….” Eph 4

We have correlated publications which are more under scrutiny to make sure they are inline with the doctrinal teachings and principles. Our Ensign Magazine is more authoritative than anything published in the Journal of Discourses.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.

LDS doctrines come from LDS scripture (which of course includes the Bible). None of the sources texts listed are scripture, and hence not authoritative sources of doctrines. For more info I recommend this link: Approaching Mormon Doctrine

(Note: you could have just listed the sources. The wall of text was unnecessary and distracts fro your question (plus makes it harder to read)).
Where is the doctrine of Heavenly Mother in your scriptures? According to lds.org it is doctrine.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are misunderstanding LDS beliefs on prophets and doctrine. LDS do not believe prophets are automatically perfect in word or deed. Rather, a prophet is *man* of God. They learn, they make mistakes, as all men do, including the prophets in the Bible. What you are quoting from is not LDS doctrine at all, but writings of some LDS man.

The way a prophets differs from other men is that they are chosen *when speaking specifically as God's mouthpiece* they speak as His mouthpieces. These words *spoken from the Lord* are then ratified by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and presented to the general church body for their substaining. These words then added to rest of God's words in scripture and official proclamations.

Again, none of the sources you are quoting from fit these requirements and are not actual LDS doctrine.

Then again, if you want to waste your time reading some dude's thoughts in some text even LDS don't read, that's your choice. If you want to disagree with some dude's thoughts, you're welcome to do that like any LDS person.
Where is the Biblical precedence for "ratifying" God's prophets' words?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where is the doctrine of Heavenly Mother in your scriptures? According to lds.org it is doctrine.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: .... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Gen 1

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

First Presidency
Apostles

Seventies

You ask a great question. The interesting thing is that the standard response (as you've seen repeated here many times) is that "only the scriptures (Bible, BOM, D&C, and POGP) are authoritative.

HOWEVER: You won't get a single one of the mormons here to tell you that the quotes you have provided are wrong. I've noticed that while they will claim to only accept "scriptures" as authoritative, in reality they accept all the various teachings of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Orson Pratt, and their other "apostles" and "prophets" as authoritative. This is how they come to believe in things like "heavenly mother", etc.

Also, they accept anything from lds.org as authoritative. lds.org is like another scripture for them, although they don't acknowledge it in those terms. Of course, lds.org references their scriptures a lot and references other documentation - and this is the tie-in to what I just said previously, that they do indeed accept many of their leaders' teachings as authoritative even though they claim they only accept their scriptures as such.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
You ask a great question. The interesting thing is that the standard response (as you've seen repeated here many times) is that "only the scriptures (Bible, BOM, D&C, and POGP) are authoritative.

HOWEVER: You won't get a single one of the mormons here to tell you that the quotes you have provided are wrong. I've noticed that while they will claim to only accept "scriptures" as authoritative, in reality they accept all the various teachings of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Orson Pratt, and their other "apostles" and "prophets" as authoritative. This is how they come to believe in things like "heavenly mother", etc.

Also, they accept anything from lds.org as authoritative. lds.org is like another scripture for them, although they don't acknowledge it in those terms. Of course, lds.org references their scriptures a lot and references other documentation - and this is the tie-in to what I just said previously, that they do indeed accept many of their leaders' teachings as authoritative even though they claim they only accept their scriptures as such.

LDS.org is the official church website, so why shouldn't we take material on there as official?

It'd be like if your denomination had an official website that was used to communicate and archive information.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: .... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Gen 1
No mention of a heavenly mother. That's just your false doctrine speaking. Try again.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LDS.org is the official church website, so why shouldn't we take material on there as official?

It'd be like if your denomination had an official website that was used to communicate and archive information.
And yet your are one of the lds who hides behind the "it's not doctrine" curtain anything outside of your standard works is brought up. There's a word for that...

Upvote 0