are there still curses in our era?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curses don't exist.
Deut 28:15 “But it shall come about, if you do not obey the Lord your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:

16 “Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country.
17 “Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
18 “Cursed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock.
19 “Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20 “The Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and rebuke, in all you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, on account of the evil of your deeds, because you have forsaken Me. 21 The Lord will make the pestilence cling to you until He has consumed you from the land where you are entering to possess it. 22 The Lord will smite you with consumption and with fever and with inflammation and with fiery heat and with the sword and with blight and with mildew, and they will pursue you until you perish. 23 The heaven which is over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you, iron. 24 The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

25 “The Lord shall cause you to be defeated before your enemies; you will go out one way against them, but you will flee seven ways before them, and you will be an example of terror to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26 Your carcasses will be food to all birds of the sky and to the beasts of the earth, and there will be no one to frighten them away.

I would say curses DO exist and still function according to God's Word.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ezekiel 33:14-15 says, "When I say to the wicked, 'You will surely die,' and he turns from his sin and practices justice and righteousness . . . he shall surely live; he shall not die."

The blood of Jesus conquers all sin and judgment for those who believe.

4. And no one who has a child who goes bad and forsakes the way of righteousness, should feel that it is all his fault. For Ezekiel 18:20 says, "The father [will not] bear the punishment for the son's iniquity."

Does God "Visit the Sins of the Fathers on the Children"?

Let me give my pov here.

As parents we raise our children, and by our example they develop a sense of right and wrong.

When our parents are alcoholics, or abusive for instance, it can often take a few generations to break that cycle, whether of violence or addiction.

The same goes with matters of faith. If you break away to follow Christ when your family isnt Christian, your children will deal with a natural curiosity as to the faith the parent was raised in and that cycle as well may take a few generations to break..

Our influence upon our children and grandchildren is very strong.. and evil teaching and actions may take time to get completely out of for all generations to come.

So while we aren't responsible for our father's actions - it may be something cyclic that is difficult to extricate from generations.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not real curses. Just "Bad Karma".

2 Corinthians 9
6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Deut 28:15 “But it shall come about, if you do not obey the Lord your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:

16 “Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country.
17 “Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
18 “Cursed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock.
19 “Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20 “The Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and rebuke, in all you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, on account of the evil of your deeds, because you have forsaken Me. 21 The Lord will make the pestilence cling to you until He has consumed you from the land where you are entering to possess it. 22 The Lord will smite you with consumption and with fever and with inflammation and with fiery heat and with the sword and with blight and with mildew, and they will pursue you until you perish. 23 The heaven which is over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you, iron. 24 The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

25 “The Lord shall cause you to be defeated before your enemies; you will go out one way against them, but you will flee seven ways before them, and you will be an example of terror to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26 Your carcasses will be food to all birds of the sky and to the beasts of the earth, and there will be no one to frighten them away.

By curse I mean the pre-scientific idea that words inherently have volition and power to them.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As scripture says:

Galatians 6
7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.

2 Corinthians 9
6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

Luke 6
38 Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By curse I mean the pre-scientific idea that words inherently have volition and power to them.
Science believes in the power of suggestion and the power of positive thinking. The Oprah Power of Attraction people strongly believe in the power of negative and positive energy. A parent can destroy their child if they speak negative words to that child. This is in effect putting a curse on that child. People are justified or condemned based on the words they speak.

36 But I tell you that men will give an account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12)

Today a treat can have serious legal repercussions. Children are being arrested and held accountable if they make a threat that involves a gun or a weapon. To threaten to harm people is a very serious crime.

For a long time it has been against the law to go into a movie theater and yell fire in a way so as to create a panic situation. Today people are so on edge that recently a motorcycle backfired and that created a public panic in Times Square.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the sins of the mother pass to the son
the sins of the grandfather curses the life of his grandson

etc
It's a matter of non-controversial fact that things continue from one generation to the next. My great grandfather made a really dumb decision when he was about 21. The consequences of that linger in the family to this day.

Is it God's doing or is it the result of the natural law? Either way you look at it, what we do today affects future generations. It's simply not deniable.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's not true. *Tell most teenage girls they are ugly or fat or something like that and you'll see what kind of power words have. And that's just one of countless examples.

(* clearly I'm am not advocating actually doing this)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus on the cross intercepted curses; so if we trust in Jesus, He can keep us blessed.

And, even if ones continue in sin, my opinion is that Jesus on the cross does somehow bless even unbelievers, but they keep themselves from benefiting like they could >

1 Timothy 4:10.

Plus, Jesus tells us to bless those who curse us. So, Jesus will use our blessing to do good to any enemy, somehow.

So, then, not only can we be free of how curses would attack us and mess us, but also we do well to be busy with blessing others . . . not only getting our own selves taken care of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums