Are there spiritual fathers in our time?

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,270.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good luck finding one in my part of the world. A few people I know have one. Most don't. Even my priest has died, the new guy is a young fellow, doesn't know me, and I am on my own.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good luck finding one in my part of the world. A few people I know have one. Most don't. Even my priest has died, the new guy is a young fellow, doesn't know me, and I am on my own.

Are you able to travel to a monastery occasionally? I'd think there'd be quite a few there when compared to the US considering the size of your local autocephalous church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

no monastery you can travel to?

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there are many, or even any, if you use theosis as the requirement, and the father has gained control over all passions. I asked a couple of times, for fathers to guide me and got no reply. These were ones who admitted they had problems like the rest of us

Times are very dark

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there are many, or even any, if you use theosis as the requirement, and the father has gained control over all passions. I asked a couple of times, for fathers to guide me and got no reply. These were ones who admitted they had problems like the rest of us

Times are very dark

as a spiritual father, usually they take few on unless they know you personally well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
as a spiritual father, usually they take few on unless they know you personally well.

I wouldn't want them to take me on anyway, the blind leading the blind as it were. In early times, you had to be in theosis to be a bishop. How far the mighty have fallen when l can only find Fr John Romanised who taught it and of course he is not with us.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't want them to take me on anyway, the blind leading the blind as it were. In early times, you had to be in theosis to be a bishop. How far the mighty have fallen when l can only find Fr John Romanised who taught it and of course he is not with us.

actually, the most holy are the ones who see their failings. and you didn’t have to be in theosis to be a bishop, but you do need to be on that path.

and Fr John Romanides isn’t the only one who teaches/taught it.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
actually, the most holy are the ones who see their failings. and you didn’t have to be in theosis to be a bishop, but you do need to be on that path.

and Fr John Romanides isn’t the only one who teaches/taught it.
Thank you Father, l know that it is no longer required nor has been for a long time.

The closer you get to Christ, agreed, you will see your sin more. But the whole point of union, is that the divine nature is imparted. One can fall into sin but to be perfect is expected.

I would very much like to know the names of those who teach it, and are at least illumined.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Father, l know that it is no longer required nor has been for a long time.

The closer you get to Christ, agreed, you will see your sin more. But the whole point of union, is that the divine nature is imparted. One can fall into sin but to be perfect is expected.

I would very much like to know the names of those who teach it, and are at least illumined.

well, it’s never been required.

Fr Zacharias of Essex is a still living one, and he is illumined. plus all of the superiors in Elder Ephraim’s monasteries.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, it’s never been required.

Fr Zacharias of Essex is a still living one, and he is illumined.
Thank you but l have read different. It makes sense that it should be required of one in such a position of authority but Orthodoxy has fallen far.

I will contact him thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you but l have read different. It makes sense that it should be required of one in such a position of authority but Orthodoxy has fallen far.

where is the rule that all bishops must have attained theosis?

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would take some time to find it, tomorrow on my PC but l will try. Fr John might have said it. But to ask in reply, why not? It is the basis of Orthodoxy and the aim of man to be united with Christ so why have bishops and or theologians who have not reached it and therefore cannot help others? I would say it makes no sense not to insist. But of course if the true church have fallen so far that they are rare, then we will find them promoted.

Reactions: Nathaniel Red
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think it's easy to romanticize the past, and think that it was a time of spiritual giants being common, but I'd counter that line of thinking with this.

If that were the case then why were laity, and other monks seeking out well known monks of their time many hundreds of years ago such as St. Anthony the Great, or St. Pachomius the Great, or St. John Climacus, etc if their local bishop was already living such a perfect spiritual life?

Ancient Faith Radio wrote on this a bit. I'll see if I can find the blog when I get home, but we can't all be spiritual children of St. Paisios, or St. Porphyrios, etc.

Upvote 0